Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Im pretty much in the middle of BMQ right now, so if anyone has any questions about it i will be happy to answer. When people say "Do your pushups and run!" they mean it. I was put into Warrior Fitness Training aka FAT CAMP because i was lazy. It took me a month to get up to par and ive been waiting almost 2 months to get back on a normal platoon. IT loving SUCKS. Also I was never issued combat boots because they are back ordered.

And to the person asking about 00129 Vehicle Tech, if you are a liscenced journeyman or semi-skilled , you are probably elligable for up to $30,000 in signing bonuses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

I don't get the "Not issuing combat boots" thing

What the gently caress do you wear with your cadpat? Running shoes?

"GO DO A SECTION ATTACK. I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE WEARING SHOWER THONGS."

I wear my gortex boots every day. Im really getting sick of it because they dont shine up like combat boots do.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

You guys that just finished phase 2 are lucky , you have the chance to get on that warrior platoon right away. They could have made 3 of those platoons during the time i have been waiting to get back on. Phase 3 sucks , you will wish you were back on phase 2 lol.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

mdivi posted:

Why did you guys join in such terrible shape that you couldn't pass the bare minimum standards to stay on a platoon? The standards are so incredibly low, that you should be embarrassed for saying you are in the fat camp. Seriously. The majority of WFT is filled with shitpumps, in my opinion.

I thought I was in good enough shape to pass the test but I guess not. Oh well.I wanted to join so bad I didnt care what kind of shape I was in. WFT is a great loving program for getting into shape , I lost 25 lbs and can run forever now. At first I was embarrased to be in WFT but now I dont really give a poo poo because I know I can outwork alot of the people who passed the express test the first try. Obviously there are alot of shitpumps in WFT, but some of them VR and some of them completely turn their poo poo around and become really good guys.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

The Amputee House posted:

I'm week 7 in BMOQ right now, posting from the MEGA :coal:

Farnham next week ehehe

I just got my capbadge on friday. Have fun in farnham.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

The Amputee House posted:

Nice. I think things actually got worse after indoc because once I went back into the real world I remembered how much freedom I had lost and got pretty down. Montreal is pretty great though make sure you take every chance to get off base, even if its just a few hours in St. Jean. If your course is anything like mine the next few weeks are going to be really busy, but not so bad since you are used to everything by now.

I have had plenty of weekends out, i was in warrior for 10 weeks. Our first weekend out on platoon we had 2 AWOLs and then those same people got busted drinking on the floor, so....it will be a fun week.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

I just finished SQ in Wainwright, and we had a weekend off, but we were CB'd. Our CMTT was a week and a half late, so I hope you at least have your toque and gloves unlike some dummies on our course.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

Electronic Optronic Tech, formely known as Fire Control Systems Tech.
We're supposedly the dudes that work on any sort of optical packages and systems - vehicle optics, gunsights, night vision, cameras, UAV sensor packages and onwards.
Again, it's a very obscure field - recruiter told me 2 were being hired this year, I was supposedly one of them.
The SQ and POET (general electronics) courses obviously have loads of people from other trades being filtered through that as well, but my actual occupational training has me wondering just what in the heck is gonna happen.
Consider my praying begun!

I have a few EO Tech friends, and they waited quite a while for their 3s to start. By quite a while, i mean a year on PAT platoon in Borden. During that time though you will be going to Kingston to do your POET, and you have to do a course called CET in Borden aswell. CET is common to all EME guys and its where you get your cap-badge. It really all depends on how many EO techs are waiting on PAT in Borden and when you get all of your courses done. Right now they are moving people to their courses pretty fast, just in the past they enlisted too many people so we were all stuck on PAT for a year.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

DarkDobe posted:

What exactly do you do while on PAT? I guess that slightly depends on the location, but the gist of it?

PAT pl for EME guys in Borden can go either way. By that I mean if you are lucky and course loaded right away, its really not that bad. You show up at 730 and either do PT or not, and then you get a 2 hour lunch, and your day ends at 1500. Fridays they usually send you on your way at 1100. Yeah you get to do enemy force for the CET course, or the DP2 course if you are lucky. There are some good taskings on the base, you just have to volunteer or ask your staff to get one. I was on PAT for almost 11 months, so I really started to get bored/fat.

I cant really tell you what normal EO Techs normally do in a normal day, because I honestly just dont know. But I have seen them working on LAVs alot, and I know that they take care of lasers and stuff. I think they used to be called Fire Control Systems Tech, so try looking up something about that too.

Any more questions feel free to ask.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Nope, wasnt me.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Samu posted:

Just in case anyone was wondering Artic Ram really sucked. Cold and boring and there's a surprisingly large Asian population in Yellowknife.

At least Northern Lights were awesome.

Fully agreed. Its been 42 days and i am still here. Luckily i dont have to drive the LS back, i get to fly home.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

Ambrose Burnside posted:

Hell of an opportune time to float into the thread it looks like!!

I'm a metalworker by inclination/trade with very little formal training (which I absolutely cannot afford). The Materials Technician trade seems to offer a seriously thorough/comprehensive year-long course covering pretty much everything I'd ever be inclined to learn. AND, and, there's a Reserve equivalent to the position, too.
I've always held the CF as a possible job/career, but haven't thought about it seriously in years, not since I started metalworking, and this gives me an actual driver beyond "I think it'd be a decent fit for me". What sort of training would I receive in the reserves trade vs. the regular route?

I dont know much about the reserve world, but dont they off the reserve guys the opportunity to do the reg force training? I know they do it for BMQ, but I dont know about trades training. The Mat tech training DP1 isnt quite a year long, some of that training is EME branch common training. The reserve vehicle techs do not come close to the amount of training we get in the reg force, with our DP1 being 7 months and theirs being about 3 I think. Dont trust a word the recruiter says about length of course or how long you will wait for a course, they really have no idea unless they are the trade you are looking at.

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

I just shipped my set of summer wheels and tires from Borden to Edmonton as UAB. I think you can ship anything as long as its under 350lb. I had a mob and a fridge and a set of wheels in my own tri-wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_selfdestruct
Jul 6, 2004

stevobob posted:

I start my QL3 tomorrow!

9 more months in Borden :negative:

You know the only thing worse than doing your 3s in Borden? Going back on your 5s and NOTHING HAS CHANGED.