Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

MA-Horus posted:

Everyone hates the LS. Gutless, screetchy, whiny, plasticy pieces of poo poo.

Loudly Squeaking Vehicle on Wheels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

swagger like us posted:

Anyone here a Comms Rsch or know anyone who is? From what I understand it's in reality SIGINT, but under the comms branch. Anyways, whats the trade like, the life, etc., Im curious and possibly interested in trying someone like it out after i finish my degree (or maybe regforce Int)

PM me your email and I'll answer what I can.

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

swagger like us posted:

poo poo, dont have pm. Could you throw me an email at my throwaway email?, apparatchik at hotmail, and Ill reply to you at my real one.

email sent

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

swagger like us posted:

EDIT: gently caress,looking at my post history I realized I already asked the first question and someone offered to PM me. Aarp, you got an email I can get in touch?

email removed

aarp fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 28, 2012

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

Elgar posted:

Whyyyy are you not reporting this. I would lose my poo poo on any of my NCOs if they tried to pull this on troops.

Seriously, tell him to stop, and if he doesn't report his rear end for harassment, that sort of behavior is unacceptable. Others may know about this behavior but you cannot take action on harassment on another's behalf, you need to report it.

I'm sure you mean well, but this is incredibly naïve.

Harassment is notoriously difficult to prove and making those charges against staff is going to bring down a world of poo poo. The Administration would really rather not have to deal with an investigation that could result in finding out that people turned a blind eye to the harassment. Chances are that people do know about the harasser's behavior but aren't going to stick their neck out for a student. As a student, it's really tempting to just let this kind of behavior slide because it will end as soon as the course is over and you won't have to deal with being called a liar and poo poo disturber by the Administration.

There's a reason stuff like this happens and it isn't for a lack of people who object to harassment and sexual assault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

compressioncut posted:

They'd have to be real pieces of poo poo to go to the wall for some podunk MCpl who can be replaced at the drop of a hat. I've definitely seen instructors run for less. Like this guy for instance http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2012/whitten.page Everything he got run for is pretty normal fleet behavior, but someone finally got fed up and even though it wasn't part of the decision, his career was ended (I know that for a fact). Note "Ex-Master Seaman."

Run through those decisions and you'll see plenty going down for sexual harassment, as they should. You can also go outside the CoC if they act lovely, and feel good about it. It's supposed to be a goddamn professional work environment, and you shouldn't have to put up with that sort of poo poo period.

That said, I do know there are lots of more senior types who wouldn't bother like you said but I wouldn't be afraid to press it no matter what. If they've been looking the other way, well, time to clean house. gently caress the creeps who keep getting away with idiotic, sociopathic behavior.

I don't want to give the impression that it's impossible to fight harassment and the right course of action is to ignore the whole thing. Cultures and attitudes vary base to base and unit to unit and there are a lot of good people out there who can be a huge help in these situations.

However, bring up charges like harassment and sexual assault can require amounts of fortitude and organizational knowledge that a lot of younger members haven't had the time to develop. "Just tell someone about it" can be pretty dangerous advice. From what I've seen, the best course of action is to document events, make an effort to deal with things at the lowest level and to know where to turn if the CoC decides that it would rather not bother with your cause.