Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fliktor
Oct 1, 2005

What do you mean,
"I ain't kind"?
Just not your kind.
Currently stuck in KAF right now before heading out to one of the FOB's for rest of tour. Reg force Sig Op; it's a hard job filled with sweeping and making coffee, Oh ya there's some stuff with radios too... If any one wants info on the exciting world of Signals, I'll try to answer your questions.
Not liking all these budget cuts going on, especially for postings. My reward for finishing tour is going back to CFB Shilo, 1RCHA... Out of one poo poo hole and back into another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fliktor
Oct 1, 2005

What do you mean,
"I ain't kind"?
Just not your kind.

Benedict IX posted:

It seems all the recruiters are pushing for Sig Ops at the moment. I'm really dead set on Infantry, but out of curiosity, what is your average day like? What sort of stuff (aside from sweeping and coffee) do you guys normally do?

e: Also, how is CFB Shilo? If/when I get in, PPCLI might send me there instead of Edmonton (which would suck balls).

Sig Op is a pretty diverse trade overseas, and just in general. Depends who you are attached to mostly. I'm with the battle group and stuck doing shifts in the TOC ( Tactical Operations Center) which is just radio shift, changing crypto and monitoring MIRC. Being pushed out to one of the Radio Rebroadcast stations soon, which is just making sure all the radios are functional and providing support to the other units around you when they need it (and playing alot of Wii and surfing the web). Mostly you would be stuck in a Command post, unless you are lucky and get chosen as a Signaller in 9TAC or something similar, where you will be in a LAV moving from FOB to FOB, doing VPS'(checking for IEDs before you go over a culvert) and all that 'fun' stuff. The sigs that go out with infantry sections are usually infanteers with a comms course.

The other side of things besides Crypto and Radio operating is Information Systems, just dealing with computers. You can get different courses and such and end up pretty deep into computer stuff such as running servers, implementing new software, network administrator. If you want IS it is pretty easy to get into that field as alot of sigs hate computers.

Daily life in Garrison for a normal Sig? 0800- PT for 30-60min back to work for 1000. Clean equipment(sweep)/random busywork/ avoid work(hide) till 1130. Go to lunch till 1300. Do more random busy work until either 1430-1530 and go home.

CFB Shilo really isn't as bad as people make it out to be, if you like outdoors stuff it is awesome. Lots of places for hiking, camping, hunting, etc. The base is around 2000 ppl with the closest "real" town being Brandon (approx 50 000 ppl). It's a decent size town, more family oriented and houses are pretty cheap. 2PPCLI is a really good unit, I haven't met anyone there who had bad things to say about 2VP. 1RCHA on the other hand....

I am on tour with 1PPCLI from Edmonton and Edmonton is a better base and you get an extra $650ish a month since the cost of living is higher there. It's pretty sweet, and there are always things to do in there.