Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
In a little over a week I begin the fun road to becoming a MARS Officer :O

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I'm week 7 in BMOQ right now, posting from the MEGA :coal:

Farnham next week ehehe

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Simkin posted:

Fresh out of BMOQ infantry 2lt checking in. I've only seen about 48 hrs of Gagetown, and that was on Thursday-Saturday when the base was officially closed, so I have no idea what to expect when I return from my Christmas leave.

Anyone have anything good/ill to say of CAP? I'm hopefully going to be course loaded, since sitting on PAT for a while doesn't seem too exciting a proposition.

You did BMOQ Aug/Sep-> Dec? I might have some guys from your course on my platoon. If someone getting recoursed during grad week rings any bells...

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

mr_selfdestruct posted:

I just got my capbadge on friday. Have fun in farnham.

Nice. I think things actually got worse after indoc because once I went back into the real world I remembered how much freedom I had lost and got pretty down. Montreal is pretty great though make sure you take every chance to get off base, even if its just a few hours in St. Jean. If your course is anything like mine the next few weeks are going to be really busy, but not so bad since you are used to everything by now.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Why does everyone poo poo on MARS.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
MARS doesn't sound so bad when you are still in BMOQ, anyways 5 (real) weeks left of infantry stuff I'll never use before naval training starts. I can't wait to get to the fleet.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Just finished the Vimy exercise for BMOQ

I can count the number of days left on one hand!!!

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Wow being on a Navy base seems so much more relaxed

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Simkin posted:

It's still the Scotsman, although I never saw any dog.

The commission is ... well, at this point, since we're the lowest ranking (or at least in the eyes of the CTC) infantry on course in Gagetown ... a bit meaningless. We get treated just slightly above no-hook privates, and some of the people who were commissioned in December still haven't had their pay updated to 2Lt.

Wrt to the aide-memoire, I've seen a few copies of it going around the shacks, and will probably pick up the high-speed operators (read: waterproof) version for some reading over the summer.

Anyone have any info regarding a tasking with JTFN? We're pretty much in the dark on it, other than being told how long we'll be up there.

Some guys from my platoon rolled into Gagetown yesterday they probably stand out

Speaking of which were you in L20 at cflrs? I'm wondering if you had the same staff as me

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
You shouldn't need to purchase anything extra for basic. Just bring clothes for 4 or so days and toiletries.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
And Vancouver is 1.5 hours away

I'm watching a reserve botc class go through NOTC here and its ridiculous how easy they have it. I always relax and take my time when I eat and I still take less time than they do.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
It depends on your course staff. We were lucky to have pt end before 6 am (on inspection days even) but we had a hardcore infantry captain who showed up for most morning pt. I saw platoons checking in at ~530/535 before though, its infuriating.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Your experience isn't complete if you don't blow all your feeble pay in Montreal

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
boots, gently caress sack marches, guns, grass

the army sucks

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Samu posted:

Haven't really started yet, just got in on friday and been just going out all weekend. I'll be able to answer that in a couple weeks I guess.

I just spent a few days sailing with some guys from your BMQ course. At least I'm guessing I did, if I mentioned an insane Polish guy and an unbelievably quiet kid would you know who I meant?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

compressioncut posted:

CFB Esquimalt snow day!

Hahaha I used a day of annual

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
They will have laminate work out plans you will grab after the warm up that you will be expected to adhere too. You can work out in your own time (when you get it).

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Samu posted:

How quick are promotions in the navy? I know a PO1 who only has like 8 years in, is that common?

In my short experience, that is not common. What trade was he/she?

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I've just gone through the recruitment/initial training process this last year so if you have any questions about that I can help. I don't know much about MPO, PAO, or Int O but I know some of my colleagues have been desperately trying to get out of their current trade and into those with little success, not sure how it is for civilians entering into it but I'd guess its fairly competitive. You're background seems better suited for it then theirs though. If you're thinking about it I'd say its worth it to go to the recruitment center and even start the application process while pursuing other options.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Esoter1c posted:

Edit: Also wasn't able to find Combat Arms Officer in the browse jobs, maybe they're not hiring for it atm?

Combat Arms refers to Infantry, Armour, Artillery, and Engineers.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

tuyop posted:

I'm off phase 3 again with a back injury, looks like my little scuffle with a Carl G and a large hole may have done away with my career in the infantry. Oh well, back on PAT. Went to work for 10 this morning where they told me that because snow is coming my next timing isn't until 10 tomorrow morning. gently caress yeah.

I've been listening to ex MARS officers tell me horror stories in an attempt to keep me from OTing to MARS. It really doesn't sound that bad. For example, a friend in the artillery was saying that when she was MARS one of the bad blades that she saw, that was fairly common, was the dude up on the simulator ordered a correct right (port? Starboard? whatever) 240. 240 steers the boat straight into land, the helmsman knew this and could interpret that the person meant 140. However, he followed his orders and went 240, causing the person being evaluated to get "yelled at". Seriously? That just seems like your problem for not taking responsibility for your fairly significant fuckup. :iiam:

A helmsmen can reply "say again" to prompt the oow to rethink their order but if the helmsman decided to interpret a conning order their own way they'd be the ones getting yelled at. Truth is the helmsman was probably thinking about his own run he has to do in an hour and wasn't paying attention to the situation.

I'm not MARS but from what I see there isn't so much backstabbing (at least on course) and that most of the problems are due to stressful academics and the fact that people psych themselves out with all the rumors long before they start. Thats just the training though life in the fleet is different.

Honestly with the number of MARS officers in the training pipeline right now and the number of ships going into refit it really isn't a good time to start a MARS career. The wardrooms on ships are going to be chalk full of SLts trying to get time on the bridge for their ticket.

I say this as someone who switched MARS - NCS eng though o_O

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

feldmann posted:

Army or Navy?

I thought Intelligence Officer was a purple trade?

I too know Intelligence Officers who came as DEO

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
A consummate and peerless poster, Simkin managed to post on the Something Awful forums. As an unsurpassed communicator, Simkin's posts were clear and concise.

Posted from the CFPAS app on my phone

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 20, 2011

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I'm pretty sure it prevented a good seal with the drager mask might have been the gas mask, some sort of mask anyways

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I hope everyone ordered their yukon hat. December is too long to wait...

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

SpaceMost posted:

That's a shame. I've been getting in much better shape but at this point I'd still end up in Warrior Fitness or whatever it's called. I just graduated university and wouldn't want to enlist as an NCM. I don't think that makes me a very attractive candidate!

Should have applied for MARS when it was listed as 'in demand' last year.

If you had done that you'd be right in the huge pack of trainees right now that are gonna have to struggle for the sea time to get their ticket.

I don't know what your goals are but there are many cool NCM trades. Communicator Research Operator in particular stands out.

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 23, 2011

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Freeze posted:

Well I'm starting BMOQ on January 9th as an NCSE. I did well on my interview largely thanks to some of the tips in this thread like:

• Never break eye contact
• Repeatedly ask for details about guns (eg. What kind of gun do I get? When do I get it? How long until I get the gun???)
• Speak enthusiastically about "killing towel-heads"
• If possible, sweat profusely

So thanks! If you all have any advice for BMOQ I'd be happy to hear it!

Don't worry about it. Just enjoy the process

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Simkin posted:

Alternatively, pay attention, don't ask staff stupid questions about previous service like 'How many people did you kill?' and enjoy what is probably the easiest course that you'll take throughout your career training.

NETP-O will be considerably easier!

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I put on my FUR HAT, YUKON STYLE to make this post. I think you had to order it prior to July to get in November. Rest come next year.

And its awesome

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Lt. Jebus posted:

Welcome.

Now indicate you want to go subs so I can be replaced in two to three years.

I think I may want that job later on. Any advice on how to get more exposure with subs before making the decision? It seems like once you volunteer its hard to get out.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
Really?

http://www.heroesforce.com/

edit: the Navy HEROESFORCE has a beard I'm so going to buy one after work tomorrow

Gay but Spooky fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 15, 2012

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
I remember a briefing listing "makes jokes about doing drugs" as a warning sign that a subordinate may be doing drugs. Indeed.

Also apparently there is a 'correct' way to carry a coffee cup when outdoors at CFB Halifax and it sure as hell isn't using the carry handle.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Were you in training, if so that's why. Normally basses don't have standards for trivial poo poo like that

I was corrected today in Halifax. Coffee mugs are to be carried by the lid with the arm straight to the side! Even while not marching. I haven't seen that in the routine orders so I'm not sure if its BS or not but its up there with not being allowed to wear backpacks in absurdity.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Mantle posted:

Wow, after three years in limbo I'm getting sworn in tomorrow! Are there any tips from you guys? If I have a choice, should I go for a weekend basic training (Vancouver) or try to get it done in the summer all at once? Pros and cons of each? I do have a full time day job but my contract ends in May and I have nothing lined up.

Uhmmmm...

Summer in Vancouver

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
HMCS Victoria doing some stuff

http://vimeo.com/37181280

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
3s as well

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

swagger like us posted:

As a dumb reservist who has worn only either DEUs, CADPAT or PT strip, can anyone explain to me the different name/numberings for dress uniforms? What's 1A? DEUs?

Dress Instructions has the official version but:

1As - tunics with or without medals
2 - mess kits (although typically these arent treated as an order of dress, at least in the Navy
3 - duty (long sleeve shirt with tie or short sleeve shirt)

1 and 3 are DEUs (anything ordered from logistic can be considered DEU for the most part)

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

My Spirit Otter posted:

Mess kit is either the fancy red poo poo that sncos and officers are highly recommended to buy or DEUs with a white shirt and bow tie and no hat. So other than the 'optional' mess kit, it is treated as an order of dress.

By not treated as an order of dress I mean people will add their own little personalizations and I've never seen anyone wear the cap with it, at least in the Navy.

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005

Ruse posted:

SAR Tech buddy of mine sent me this video of his friends post-prelim training (SAR Tech 3's?). Anyway, this is a pretty good glimpse of some of the training the SAR Techs go through.

Mind the music, it's not bad though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zInSQBV6QY

drat, that is awesome. Just makes me want to do something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay but Spooky
Oct 25, 2005
No posistions open?

https://twitter.com/CanadianForces/status/264064686125883392

let your career take flight!!