Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

My Spirit Otter posted:

Heh, good one, I've seen more fights in messes than I have in bars.

Well yeah but that way they aren't fighting random civvies and getting thrown in jail and its instead only fighting other military.

Its just better for everyone involved that some civvie doesnt get his face cratered in all the time in downtown pubs or drinking and driving and all that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.

My Spirit Otter posted:

My old sergeant did the CQC course and he is not what I'd call the definition of fitness. On the other hand, a MBdr of mine did part of the CQC course but hosed his back up on it. My sergeant did it in Shilo and the MBdr did it in Guagetown. So I guess it depends where you do it.

Yeah its pretty stupid to see. I train kickboxing and BJJ civvie side, and to hear about so many guys getting injured on these CQC courses is frustrating because I would bet money that the instructors are more interested in being hard as gently caress than good training methods.

But any criticism of military training gets me a "you're a loving pussy".

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/story/2012/11/08/ns-leaked-military-video.html

Some smart people. I thought we learned out lesson about video taping things...

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

This year not only did my reserve unit had untrained guys parade in CADPAT, we also had guys who just got sworn in but hadn't yet got their CADPAT march in the parade too. What the gently caress CoC?

Honestly, its such a gently caress up every year I just feel like I'd rather do it in civvies and pay my respects that way instead of being in that gong show.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

I personally think that the idea of "sports nights" on parade nights is silly, and should be replaced with a mandatory PT night once per month.

If you skip it, it's noted. A very easy way to find out who's pulling their weight, and who's not.

Ugh. No. My mo unit does this every parade night and its stupid. Look, PT, especially for a reservist, is something you have to do on your own time. All it does is annoy those of us who stay in shape, and frustrate those out of shape. And its usually some stupid loving Crossfit poo poo because my OC is a crossfit koolaid drinker.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

Then get the frustrated fatties to get back into shape, and sports night will be reinstated.

There's a reason reservists are looked down on, and the general pathetic level of physical fitness is chief among them.

"then get the frustrated fatties back into shape" doesn't just work like that. Physical fitness is something thats encouraged in a unit through leadership etc, and its also something thats enforced through policy. While the problem is fatties at the individual level, the error is on the lovely policy that exists. Currently in the Reserves, Class A reservists are not covered for injury for PT, because they recently changed the rules on BFT (you only ever have to do a BFT every year if you are going Class B or C), thus as a Class A reservist you're not "required" to do PT (even though if you're in a loving infantry unit it is pretty important). I myself got injured in sports for a year and a half, lost out courses and exercises and didnt get poo poo for my effort to stay in shape. So, ask me then, why should a Class A reservist get in shape anyways when there's no actual policy protecting him?

What needs to be done for Class A reservists is 1.)Paid gym membership. $50 isnt a lot per month, but the idea that its available, for free, is a good motivator or access to weightlifting and gym equipment (I've heard of some units even going so far as having a paid, weekday half-night for PT every week where you can come in and use the gym equipment. This is a good idea) 2.)Liability protection for approved PT. If Im weightlifting or doing sports, I shouldnt have to worry about my summer work because I might get hurt and then, welp there goes my 4mths pay that I need. In the regular force this isnt a problem because you're paid either way, in the Reserves it is because its one of my sources of income.

If there's no encouragement or protection, then no amount of stupid crossfit circuits or whatever every wednesday night is going to solve the huge problem of fitness in the Reserves. Dump it on individuals all you want, but that wont change anything.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

This is my third year of having a CT to Int Op (and Comms Rsch) from infantry reserves but Im not holding my breath. Am I right in assuming its more difficult to get into because my application is put below regular force transfers into the trade? (since Int Op is VOT only, mostly). Sucks though, I speak Russian and have some university so I like to think im an okay candidate.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Mess etiquette in general is all hosed up. A buddy of mine, in his unit has a tradition to tap the table everytime you pass the port, where most army traditions is to never let it touch the table. He did this and got a big rant about how stupid reservists. Surprise surprise, different unit's have different traditions.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Im applying to VOT to Int Op in the reserves. Any Int Ops/Former int ops be willing to give me some advice for the interview as to what the unit's PL WO or officer will be looking for in potential recruits?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah, June is far too late to be able to get on a summer basic. But if its the Reserves, I know in the Army side we usually run weekend basics (in fact its usually the only thing we got now...), so maybe they'll have that too?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Good to know, last time I submitted an application they had managed to fill the spot shortly after. v:shobon:v

I can't do army, too much Navy in my family history. :)

e. I'm going for officer, by the way.

No no, I mean't, in the Army side Reserves they run Weekend BMQs throughout the year, and I imagine that maybe in the Naval Reserve they do that too.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Jeremy360 posted:

I've seen people that absolutely bombed the EXPRES test either pass, or come very close to passing the FORCE test. Even the grumpy old men don't seem to have many issues with it.

To be fair, the old express test was a dumb method of training general military fitness. I dont recall where I did a pushup in the field, nor where the majority of my lifting/strength happened to be from my triceps and pecs. The new FORCE test seems a bit more "realistic" as to what one actually does in the field. I know plenty of strong, fit guys who just because they don't do pushups in their regimin, suffer on their PT test.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Except Crossfit is as faddish as you can get nowadays and most sport scientists, strength & conditionning coaches and journals don't think its an effective thing for fitness. Athletic training is stupid without periodization, and using the SAID principle (Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demands). Im sure theres some Crossfit out there thats actually structured well, but unfortunately most CF people who get attracted to it are only attracted to it because they think that because its SO HARD and makes you fuckign PUKE, GET SOME, GET SOME. Doing some random WOD each day, and it being only constructed because of how hard it is isnt the way to make a PT plan.

That being said, Ill admit, its more challenging and fun to do some type of circuit training/crossfit whatever than all the stupid 10k jogs every stupid course I've been on puts you through. You know what 10k jogging gets you good at? Doing 10k jogs. Who gives a gently caress. If you wanna improve conditionning, there's much better and more challenging things to do thats actually fun. Hell, playing a game of soccer is probably better conditionning than jogging because at least its entertaining.

Theres been generations of sports scientists in football, rugby, wrestling etc. that know ions more about physical fitness and conditionning than crossfit "lvl 1 certification" (which literally means you give up $1,000 and get a piece of paper. Doesnt mean poo poo).

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 21, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

http://www.forces.gc.ca/site/news-nouvelles/news-nouvelles-eng.asp?id=4880

So apparently the Officers are in fact getting their pips and crowns back, and divisions are replacing the LF Areas. What is a Canadian Army Secondary Badge? And by shoulder titles do they mean kind of like the cadets where instead of saying "CANADA" itll say "Canadian Army" on the DEUs?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

Now here's where there should NOT be a competition. Lets look at other militaries that have to deal with similar terrain and climate issues and buy what they have.

Mainly the Germans. I bet they have great boots.

Probably the Swedes and Norwegians would be good for comparable climates as well.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

So, I've heard some people have gotten their hands on the shiny new ACUs ICU combats. The only pics I've seen of it are the crappy small resolution one from a powerpoint, and a picture of some General wearing them. Does anyone else have any other pics of it?

Also, has anyone seen/heard the whole new Division changes come into play with uniforms (Rumours abound about Divisional patches on combats and/or DEUs).

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

And are they actually now officially changing the generic ranks too? I.E. Corporals are now Lance Corporals (with just one chevron), MCpls are now Corporals (with two chevrons)? Does that mean us Cpls have to give up our second chevron?

And what are we actually going to be wearing on combats and DEUs? With Combats, is it going to be basically left shoulder will be flag and Division colour patch? Are they also making Corps badges too, like Royal Canadian Infantry Corps or whatever else?

swagger like us fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 3, 2013

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

It folds down like the US ACUs. You only wear it up while wearing the frag vest.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

flakeloaf posted:

"Nonsense they made my career miserable and it's my godgiven right as a senior NCM to ensure your life is miserable too"

And the circle of life continues

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Shouldn't we be changing the name of the thread to Canadian ARMED Forces? Or are is too scary to the public?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMsqEph7a8I

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Damnit, I had a hope after reading about the FORCE test that it looked like the right way to go. Actual dynamic exercises that represent the duties you would actually have. Looks like they could have made something interesting and challenging into something watered down to help pass fatbodies.

I am biased mostly because I hate and suck at pushups because of my long arms and that I don't bench or do pushups as much as I should (squattin, oly liftin and deadliftin errry day). Oh well, it shouldnt preclude unit's to instill a little bit of motivation by doing other fitness tests. My unit does the cooper's test or at least a modified version of it twice a year.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Isn't there also an anonymous line too? I can't remember who runs it, but there is an anonymous toll free phone line that dudes can call. The issue seems more to do with the fact that most guys are gonna be dissuaded from looking for help because of the effects on their careers and livelihoods, and then by the time it spirals out of control, their mental health issue has become a critical situation.

Mental health needs to be seen the exact same as physical health, and some of the best training was a day of class on PLQ about mental health by ex-airborne somalia vets who later became social workers presenting about mental health and leadership. Look after your guys, you wouldn't make a guy run on a broken leg, so, this stuff needs to be looked after.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Does anyone know how the roll out of the new combats are going? Is it going East - West sort of thing, or is it one of those equipping brand new BMQ troops with it sort of thing?

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Definitely a sign of "peace-time military" when we start having multiple O groups across the country about a mean spirited meme picture poster.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Carl G ain't gonna do poo poo against a modern MBT. Its biggest use is a nom de guerre for knocking up white trash in Wainwright

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Same. My OT is taking forever.

Does anyone know the pros and cons of releasing vs a transfer?

This is based off my experience with a CT into a trade that was VOT only in the Regforce, so it may be different situation to situation but the reason it was so difficult for me is I know that OTs will always be pushed to the top because basically, budget wise, their wages have already been accounted for the entirety of their contract. If you're joining off the street, those slots are the ones left over from VOT, and it means new money taken off the budget. So, basically, they would rather just transfer guys into the trade they want rather than have to pay for a "new" position.

Again, I am pulling this completely out of my biased experience, so its more than likely coming out of my rear end. I don't know the actual VOT/CT process or how they generate those slots, but it seems to make sense to me.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Every now and then some jobs do come up, rarely though. I remember in BC, a company that does slope stabilization was looking for guys to be trained on steep slop stabilization, so I know lots of guys (obviously mostly Reservists) with BMO applied to be slope stabilizers or get trained in rope rescue/first aid.

But again, most combat arms means very little jobs related unless you work like half the reserve infantry guys do in BC as bouncers at night clubs.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Barrakketh posted:

Swagger, bro, you've got to stop hanging out in the Canpol thread. It's compromising your LCF.

yeah I know, you're right. Banging my head against a wall here.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

I laughed. The CF thread here hasn't really taken on the posting style of the rest of our GiP brethren.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Is it actually illegal, as in there's case law/precedent and people do get charged, or is it just because its on the books (I know its in the Criminal Code) that makes it illegal here? I feel like, even in the states they struck down that law as unconstitutional towards freedom of speech or whatever (i.e. fraud is already a crime, so someone impersonating a uniform member for actual monetary gain would just be charged with fraud) that here in Canada any such charge would quickly be shot down.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Im pretty sure Military members get some crazy stupid discount on the Oakley website, but I'm not sure if its only for sunglasses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

MA-Horus posted:

Jesus Christ

I can only hope that guy got a full discharge from the CAF before going to Caro it up else the entire book is going to be thrown at him.

Apparently nothing they're doing is illegal according to the papers, because they aren't fighting for a "terrorist" group per se, and they aren't doing any training in Canada., But I can't believe that this wont have repercussions when they return from over there.