Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Arty goon checking in

swagger like us posted:

mo-litia infantry represent. I want some CADPAT loving raingear, sick of this rubber poo poo and stealth suits arent good enough. you can keep the new rucksacks tho, and ill keep my '64.

Just to rub it in, the cad pat rain gear breathes and is awesome in the summer. Also the new rucksacks are way better than the '64 patterns. You proably just sucked at bending the back supports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

swagger like us posted:

nah its not about the comfort (they are more comfy), its about the useability. Try strapping a water jerry or SF tripod to the back of the new rucksack. '64 will always reign supreme for the infantry just cause of the ability to carry awkward poo poo.

I cant say Ive strapped a water jerry or an SF tripod to it, but I've strapped parts of the 81mm mortar to both and the new ruck is a million times better for it

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Don't be an artillery officer. Our arty is in a bit of a poo poo state unless you're lucky enough to get assigned to a battery of M777's. You really don't wanna work with mortars, C3s or LG1s.

Mortars are annoying and heavy.
C3s are old, useless pigiron
LG1s are old, finnicky pigiron.

As an artilleryman
Mortars kickass and a only heavy if you're in bad shape
C3s agreed
LG1s are pretty wicked actually. They arent that finnicky at all.

However Artillery officer is a thankless job, just like artillery NCM. Artillery sucks, which is why we are depressingly undermanned

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Man you must have gotten some good ones. When I worked with 2RCHA their LG1s were constantly gumming up.

Not quite as bad as C3s though. And getting replacement parts for it are loving impossible, and repairs take FOREVER. We had a gun out of commission for 6 months + because some twat jammed a cam-pole down the barrel with a round still up the spout.

Sounds like you worked with a real winner. C3s are being phased out because they dont make parts for them anymore and we're running out. But I've had nothing even close to a problem with the LG1. That and the elevation and directional levers are so smooth

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Not gonna lie I would join back up in an instant if they brought the paladins back into service.

But my regiment had to basically kick and scream to keep from getting assigned mortars because they are for chumps.

Mortars are a lot of fun. Except for leveling them. But they are a lot of fun!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

Due to budget cutbacks, no new boots are being procured for the CF until 2011.

:v:

No, seriously. It's not like there's a shortage of boots in certain sizes or anything~

Im not complaining this means I can't exchange my Mk. IIIs for the gps and get to keep wearing the comfortable bastards

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Canuck-Errant posted:

It also means you can't get the new WWBs, which is fine because the old ones are actually more comfy - but I'm stuck with 1 pr GPs and 1 pr WWBs, and no chance of getting another pair before basic.

Im not too concerned because I never wear the things. However whats different with the new wet weathers, the sole? Also I am assuming you're a reservist because you have kit before basic?

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 1, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

More wonderful fun on the journey to enlisting: I got told by a recruiter today that the only space left in any of the combat trades is in a French unit.

So, anyone know anything about Signals Operators? Is it just being a general radio tech like is sounds, or something else?

There is no way artillery is full. We are hurting for numbers so badly. However this is a reason we are hurt for people. It sucks rear end

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

I'm just reporting what I was told. I'd much prefer a job in any combat trade rather than being a plumber or some such; if I was interested a civilian job, I'd go do that instead of joining the military.

MA-Horus might be right about the numbers though. Could be that there's some serious holes in the chain of information. Or just some rear end in a top hat recruiter lying his balls off to me, which is always possible.

Which recruiting station are you going to? Also are you going NCM or officer? Beause I know for a fact that the ncm's are grossly undermanned. Tell your recruiter that you have heard that from people inside of an arillery regiment

MA-Horus posted:

Mind you, I was also Reservist. If you're talking about Reg Forces, very good chance reg force arty is full.

It may just not SEEM like that because reservists often fill critical posts during deployments. Mainly the reason that my battery was empty, they had a dozen folks on deployment/predeployment.

Our troop had about 11 gunners on parade, 1 bombadier, 1 master bombadier and 2 sergeants. Mind you we have a handfull of people on a driver course. However my gun consists of 1 sergeant, 1 master, and 4 gunners. Hardly ideal.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Hizawk posted:

Don't get SWAT's wet. loving worst boots ever wet. Mrk III's are the best field boot, ever. Except in winter when your feet freeze.

I've only ever worn issued boots. The GPs are the worst wet and the mk IIIs are the best, I don't know why they just are

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MohawkSatan posted:

That was just over the phone with the nearest base, in New Westminster. Can't remember the guy's name right now, got it written down somewhere though.

As for NCM or officer, definately going NCM.

Edit: I'm actually meeting with the guy tommorrow afternoon, since he's coming through town on the way to PG. Which, now that I think about it, reeks pretty badly of something. Why would you go to the biggest city(or second biggest) in Northern BC if so many trades are filled right up?

Yea if its NCM you shouldn't have a problem. For BATTERY pt, we had 22 people. Mind you some people are still on leave and some about 20 people on the driver wheel course

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

But unlike in the cadets very few people in the army actually care about being able to shave using a boot as a mirror. Usually all that is required is for them to be blackened and clean. The low-level shine you get from parade-gloss is perfectly acceptable. Dont be the one douchebag in your platoon with mirror boots as your instructors will just force everyone else to bring theirs up to the same level for uniformity and everyone will hate you.

Thats a lie, I know a lot of people who have gotten in trouble due to their boots being lackluster. Also shiny parade boots look loving sharp, so.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Combat boots should NOT be shiny. They should be blackened, with a decent sheen to them. We are issued parade boots for a reason, and whoever gave poo poo on that is a loving pogue.

Who said anything about combat boots? However our boots have to be somewhat shiny. We can't show up to regiment with boots just slathered in polish. They have to be brush shined but thats it.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

I was never even issued parade boots, I've had nothing but combat boots for 3 years now.

Yeah and the parade-gloss stuff is fine for that. You wont get mirrors but you dont have to have mirror boots, especially at your unit, you get weird staff on course sometimes though.

Protip: For buffing up your boots quickly instead of carrying around a brush, just get a bit of nylon stocking, it works great while not taking up any space and weighs nothing.

Parade gloss is straight up poo poo. If you put 10-15 brush shines and then spitshine you will have amazing boots, especially if you put a clear coat on them, which is the secret

swagger like us posted:

Anyone here a Comms Rsch or know anyone who is? From what I understand it's in reality SIGINT, but under the comms branch. Anyways, whats the trade like, the life, etc., Im curious and possibly interested in trying someone like it out after i finish my degree (or maybe regforce Int)

I have a buddy from basic that is going comms research. I'll try and get as much info as I can. However he is NCM, is this an issue, because you say you want to finish a degree, almost implying officer

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 12, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

I guess you're one of those guys that enjoy working on his boots. The rest of us have better poo poo to do.

Haha not in the least, I loving hate it. But on sq I picked up a couple tricks that make them look decent with minimal effort.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

Who the gently caress am I? The same one that doesn't have to salute the Queen when entering the mess, that's who. :smug:

Note: Arty doesn't have to do this because we're the Queen's preferred ground-force. True story.

Even during BMQ I've never even heard of this. Sounds like some crazy reservist rule to me

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

compressioncut posted:

The highest required percentile score is for AEC (air traffic control officer) and it's 60th percentile.

There is nothing higher than the 40th percentile. I looked at the list no more than three weeks ago in my BPSO meeting.

Mr.48 posted:

Tent city loving rules. The amount of cleaning is minimal relative to shacks. Just drape a mosquito net over your bed and you're good to go!
I helped build that shithole. gently caress Tent City.

MA-Horus posted:

Whaaaaat? You didn't know that? Ask a Senior NCO. Commonwealth artillery doesn't have to salute the queen's portrait when entering a mess as the Royal Artillery is the Queen's regiment. I don't know if that applies to mortars because they are not really artillery.
I'm saying that I've never heard of/seen anyone salute the queen's picture, ever.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lt. Jebus posted:

Unless you've been posted and moved from a low tax to a high tax province this year or you run a business/work on the side you shouldn't owe money anyway.

'Course if you are posted from BC to NS late in the year and then get bumped up a tax bracket by all those Brookfield (formerly Royal Lepage Relocation) "benefits" (they count for tax purposes as income... untaxed income) then you end up owing a ton of money.

This year I went from QC to NB to MB and I owe about 500 bucks, its retarded

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Alright, lets give a big round of applause for the MIR. October of last year I went in because my finger was all hosed, I got an x-ray and the military doctor said it was just a sprain. Last thursday I went in to get it looked at again because the swelling hasn't gone down. The civilian doctor said he saw scar tissue and possibly a former fracture. Canadian Forces doctors, becoming complacent due to poo poo-pumps

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

HatSmack posted:

I've been very strongly considering joining the Canadian Forces for the past few months (somehow even after reading a lot of the threads in this forum), and the jobs that seem to interest me the most are armoured infantry and field artillery. If there's anyone here who is currently/has been in one of these careers, what are they actually like, beyond what the recruiter will be telling me?

Definitely go field artillery, that way I can get out of the artillery that much easier. That should speak volumes

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

HatSmack posted:

What makes artillery so lovely?

Hell you might like it, whos to say. I hate it though and so do most of my buddies. There is not one solid reason it sucks, but a bunch of cumulative reasons.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

We had a dyslexic person who is now artillery:ohdear:. I also had a person that failed the topo test 3 times and is Arty.:ughh:

Have I ever said how much I love the artillery? We have the most switched on, awesome soldiers, average 4% body fat. I LOVE THE ARTILLERY

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lassitude posted:

Try living up in northern Ontario.

Try living in Shilo, Manitoba. Yea gently caress all of you.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Ruse posted:

My brother is stationed there. Combat Eng.

There are no combat engineer regiments in Shilo, is he perchance the base commander?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

But yeah, being "in the army" for a couple hours every Thursday is a little different from living on a base every miserable loving day of your existence.

And if I could do it all again I would have been a reservist. Just sayin'

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

One of the girls I'm doing basic with is really hot and lives in my city.

I take it banging her on a weekend off is a no-no?

They don't want you loving on base. Thats all they care about. gently caress the poo poo out of her in some hotel room and you're golden.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

WHO CHANGED MY GODDAMN THREAD TAG

Anyone done NBCD training recently? Are we using those 1-piece MOPP suits still? I still have mine, it's like a loving snowsuit.

Still the one piece and I hope your suit is in a bag because they don't have that long of a shelf life when they are opened

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

HammerOfHope posted:

Also I don't think it's called MOPP 1-4 anymore, it's now Dress State where "DS 0" is the suit within 2 hours' reach (iirc) and "DS 4 with mask" is like MOPP 4. That's what they taught at St-Jean last year, anyway.

DS 0 is within 24 hours which is dumb.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fraser CDN posted:

( NEVER USE PARADE GLOSS )
Use regular polish for about 20-30 coats as mentioned. Then burnshine with regular polish, however once you have a couple coats of regular polish on, burnshine with parade gloss(it only dulls if you dont do it every night, but really you're in basic you dont have much else to do) and finish with a plain old spitshined coat of clear gloss and it will look awesome. They tell you not to burn shine or you'll get in trouble if you do. Empty threat, never happens

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jul 9, 2010

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

I'm not going to not give my all because I'm afraid of standing out
Don't be afraid to stand out in a positive light, no matter what anyone says. You volunteer you get poo poo on more, do a good job and its a good thing. Could net you top candidate which is a good things because the same principals apply to any course

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Mr.48 posted:

Or that means that all the people learn your name so when some staff for a different section gets told to pick 2 guys to go clean poo poo, guess what? The guy who's name people know gets picked.

Be the gray man, and you will always take the least poo poo.

Note: Being the gray man doesnt mean not being buddies with people, just staying off the staff's radar, and volunteering always gets you on the radar.

If you wanna stand out positively, do it by outperforming people on tasks that are given to you, don't just volunteer for random poo poo.

Goddammit, you're supposed to go along with it. I want him to see how miserable the military will make you so he vr's and doesnt make the same mistake I made and stayed in for this long

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Because 99% of people do

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Fire Above posted:

Man I keep hearing recruiting horror stories. Sometimes I think I'm the only person that got in in a reasonable amount of time. Applied in April, swore in in May, went off to basic in July. Everything was smooth and easy.

I had it pretty easy I applied in early october, swore in mid november and went to basic about a week after. Mind you I went as artillery, which they were gay for at the time because they didnt have enough of us and, sure enough I learned why. But I had it pretty easy aswell

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Tom Swift posted:

I'll be applying as Infantry first as I'm interested in Close Protection and eventually going Intelligence and pointing towards CSIS in a far off future.

Noooooooooooo. First of all Infantry is full. Second of all, I've only met two or three infanteers who have their close protection course. And finally MP would be your best bet, close protection is part of the QL3s, I believe or its a course readily offered.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Elgar posted:

Pro of the LAVs? you have heaters that can dry your kit in a few minutes.

You were allowed to use things to make you suffer less in training as an officer? You know what we were allowed to use to ease the suffering as an NCM? Nothing, when our kit got wet we switched it out or dried it in the sun, if it was raining well, you were hosed. I wish I went through university.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

tuyop posted:

Yeah the area support weapons give you a serious hard-on.

I still think the 84 sounds like the loving hand of god when it fires. You need to wear two pieces of ear protection on the range (plugs and those over-the-ear headphone things) and it still makes your ears ring.

The M203 is gay though. Just all kinds of gay.

Wow, wrong on two accounts, I wore a set of disposable earplugs when I fired the Carl G. It wasn't loud if you were firing the weapon, only if you were spectating. Also M203's are the most badass weapon I've fired even if it was just chalk rounds. Its fuckin' so much fun. Its a hard weapon to accurately fire and it's just all around badass when firing from the hip(had a really cool RO)

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

acumen posted:

For the record, the M203 is one of the best weapon systems we employ overseas. A good grenadier is a very valuable asset.

I believe it. I've heard stories of a member of 2vp being able to lob a round into a bathroom window from 100 meters away. However that is all hearsay. I do believe it because the 203 is one of the infantry's primary area neutralization weapons

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

See that's why you go gun artillery

Why lug all that poo poo when you have trucks to do it for you?

"Artillery brings civilization into what would otherwise be a brawl."

poo poo, knowing what I know now, I would rather have to lug poo poo around once in a while and be a fuckin' pog rather than artillery. Arty eats their own like no other. MP's buddy gently caress less than the artillery and thats their job.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Simkin posted:

Yeah, I can't speak about what it's like in regiment, but during the training, it's been pretty light in terms of people loving each other over. Hell, we didn't even intentionally gently caress over people that we really wanted to see kicked off course (and were later told that was exactly what we should have done by our course staff).

Theres a difference. On course its acceptable to weed out people that would be detrimental to the military when the instructors can't get them off the course. However to get yourself promoted over someone else isn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Samu posted:

I've heard good things about Edmonton from my sergeant and been told that Pet is boring as gently caress but that 2 CER is a great regiment and that Pet is a great place to raise a family and has cheap housing. Really I just want to be in or near a city cause I'm young and want to party and take classes at the University of Alberta.

Oh and I just thought I'd mention that there where a bunch of SAR techs at St.Jean for a meeting or some poo poo and those dudes are badass as all gently caress. It takes a special breed to make bright orange coveralls look cool.

Pet is a shithole, go for Edmonton. You get an extra bit of pay to live off base aswell, about 400 bucks a month I believe? And LDA so that adds up. Ottawa is about 40-50 minutes from Pet and Edmonton is well, 20 minutes north of downtown. Don't be stupid choose Edmonton