Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Simkin posted:

Fresh out of BMOQ infantry 2lt checking in. I've only seen about 48 hrs of Gagetown, and that was on Thursday-Saturday when the base was officially closed, so I have no idea what to expect when I return from my Christmas leave.

Anyone have anything good/ill to say of CAP? I'm hopefully going to be course loaded, since sitting on PAT for a while doesn't seem too exciting a proposition.

Would you mind posting about BMOQ a bit? What was your daily routine like? What did you do to prepare? I'm considering joining the CF dream as an officer so I'd love to read about what you just went though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Benedict IX posted:

Well, since infantry's closed until the military budget increases (ha!), you can always sell your soul to France and join the Legion. They're always looking for cannon fodder valuable soldiers. Plus, you'll get a French citizenship and can spend your retirement drinking, smoking, and complaining about everything.

Not a credible source, but there's talk on the internets that with the world falling apart economically, the Legion is getting too many recruits and is being ridiculously picky.

Honestly your best chance might be to go back to school and pick up a trade.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Does anyone know what/if any restrictions exist for Permanent Residents (PR) joining the CF?

I've seen some really old (2004) anecdotal evidence suggesting that they cannot be officers and certain trades are off-limits, but I can't find anything recent. Some CF sites seem to say that citizenship is a hard requirement, but others mention that PRs will be considered.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Quick question about joining reserves: are you suppose to call them up and go "hay where da jobs at? :v:"? It seems so . . . decentralized?

CAF web site posted:

JOINING THE RESERVES

If you are interested in joining the Reserves, your first step is to contact one of your local Reserve units to find out which positions are available and then apply online. Your local recruiting centre will process your application and ensure that you complete the required steps of the application process. Reserve applicants are required to pass a physical fitness test before being selected. All other steps of the application process are the same as for the Regular Force.

Once you have been evaluated and the application process is complete, your local Reserve unit decides to issue a job offer. Not everyone who applies for a job in the Reserves will get one. It all depends on job availability.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Simkin posted:

It'll be interesting to see what changes get made in terms of security, but a lot of that is stuff that isn't really for public discourse, so...

I'm curious to see how far the CSIS will ride this into increasing their powers/budget/capabilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on Officer applications as naturalized citizen?

I suspect it probably removes any chance of being accepted to something like Intelligence, but would it also restrict me from something like Signals?

E: For what it's worth I was born in South America and chances of Canada ever operating in my birth country are virtually non-existent.

Science fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 1, 2015