Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
I'm running a 2009-forward simulation, and there's been some interesting things.

Justin Upton for example: He's 46 years old, in his 28th season, with 949 homers, 4500 hits, and is currently OPSing 1.061. At 46. :psyduck:

Oh also Andrew Brackman has 340 career victories, and 5400-odd strikeouts. gently caress yeah big man.

e: :synpa: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Sometimes I don't even know:

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

gyroball posted:

Sometimes I don't even know:

I know exactly what you mean

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
I don't want to start a new thread for this, and I wager there's at least some sort of convergence between the groups, but is there a good football sim? I really liked Front Office Football 5 years ago or whenever I played it, but the most recent version seems to be from 2007. Is there anything else good out there?

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Willninho posted:

I don't want to start a new thread for this, and I wager there's at least some sort of convergence between the groups, but is there a good football sim? I really liked Front Office Football 5 years ago or whenever I played it, but the most recent version seems to be from 2007. Is there anything else good out there?

No. I've looked and the closest I've found is Football Mogul by the same people who make Baseball Mogul but it's just bad. In a few years it could be something but right now it's not worth your time or money.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...

Willninho posted:

There is Total Pro Football and FOF 2007. Never really got into either though. TPF isn't available to buy anymore because the company went out of business though so FOF2007 is the only available one I guess.

con fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 3, 2010

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

gardenald posted:

Single season home runs - Pat the Bat - 72

Aw :unsmith:

I need to run some sims again. I miss doing the 100-year stat dumps.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
So far in my 100 year sim, I've had two guys have 3 year runs of 0.02 ERA and 20 K/9 after sucking in the minors. They retire after this stretch.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Gyroball how do I replace my portraits file?

Im playing 09

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Groucho Marxist posted:

So far in my 100 year sim, I've had two guys have 3 year runs of 0.02 ERA and 20 K/9 after sucking in the minors. They retire after this stretch.

I once had Gavvy Cravath end up hitting like .110 for his career even though he was inexplicably was a regular for 10 seasons. Boy were the White Sox stupid in that sim.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Politicalrancor posted:

Gyroball how do I replace my portraits file?

Im playing 09

It's a folder. It should be in this directory: Sports Mogul/Baseball Mogul 2009/Skins/SportsMogul/Photos

If you want to replace everything with what I uploaded, just unzip the portraits.zip and move the resulting "Portraits folder" into the "Photos" folder. Then say "yes to all" when it asks whether you want to replace stuff.

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.
I just simmed a 1901 - 2009 BBM sim with draft predictability and historical drafts turned down a bit and player development randomness up some. The results?

All time home run leader: Babe Ruth - 1191 (Reggie Jackson is a distant second with 800 something.) Ruth also holds most, if not all the top 10 single season home run totals, topping at 77. Also he has the top career OPS, top 10 highest OPS seasons (and like 13 out of the top 15). I swear I did not turn up home runs at all.

Oh, and quite possibly more surprising, the all time hits leader is Ozzie Smith with 4400 or so.

If anyone wants some screenshots I can post them tonight.

e: and Livan Hernandez won the 2009 Cy Young with a 19-2 record and a 2.49 ERA

Cordialatron fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jan 6, 2010

smuggler
Apr 23, 2007
INSULTING THE PACKERS IS NOT AGAINST FORUM RULES, MORON

Cordialatron posted:

All time home run leader: Babe Ruth - 1191 (Reggie Jackson is a distant second with 800 something.) Ruth also holds most, if not all the top 10 single season home run totals, topping at 77. Also he has the top career OPS, top 10 highest OPS seasons (and like 13 out of the top 15). I swear I did not turn up home runs at all.

Is there any doubt that Babe Ruth does this as a product of the present-day baseball environment?

Cordialatron posted:

e: and Livan Hernandez won the 2009 Cy Young with a 19-2 record and a 2.49 ERA

12.6 H/9 and 0.110 BABIP haha!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm in an ootp 6.0 league that's looking for active gms if anyone is interested.

I'm supposed to post this to help recruit

quote:

Our Simulation Baseball League is looking for a few more owners. If you are not familiar with simulation baseball, it is a fantasy baseball game that does not run on real time baseball statistics so that it can be played year round. Think of it as being the general manager of a Madden franchise and instead of playing against 29 computers you are playing with 29 other human beings. If you are interest in this type of fantasy league, we would love to have you join us. Please use AOL Instant Messenger to contact the commissioner, Kosstic518 for an explanation of how the league works. The league runs off of the website https://www.kosstic3.com and the message boards for the league are located at https://www.kosstic3.proboards.com. We look forward to bringing in new members. Thank you for your time.

anyways open teams are baltimore, tampa, toronto, and cinci.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The first details of the new OOTP XI features have been outlines, and looks awesome :3: gonna be picking this year's up (I buy every other year's version, so didn't play last year's).

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-10-general-discussions/192604-little-out-park-baseball-11-update.html

quote:

- Partly redesigned user interface, making the game more accessible and fun to use. This does include mass-selection of players.
- Recoded fielding engine, making defense more realistic while introducing new fielding stats like Zone Rating, Individual Fielding Efficiency and Team Defence Efficiency.
- More advanced stats like wOBA (weighted on-base average), OPS+, ERA+ and FIP (fielding independent pitching)
- Recoded parts of player creation engine, introducing two-way players and also starting draft-elegible players off with higher overall ratings.
- Recoded parts of the player development system, handling two-way players and pitcher batting (pitchers no longer start out with fully developed hitting ratings) and resulting in even more realistic career curves.
- Recoded amateur draft with (optional) signing bonuses, player demands, slotting system, post-draft contract & bonus negotiations and compensation picks for unsigned picks (who will re-enter the draft a year later). Also when feeder leagues are used, undrafted/unsigned HS players may go to college.
- Improved historicals with recoded part-time player rating routines, new fielding ratings calculator and other fancy stuff, resulting in the most realistic and fun historical play experience ever.

Nice to see some more stats that've been much needed, though I woulda liked to see tRA too. And of course those defensive metrics are kinda lovely but considering the state of defensive metrics I'm sure it'll do. Even so, the big draft upgrades are awesome: sounds like it's coming very close to actually mirroring MLB in most of this front office stuff, which is nice.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Allyn posted:

The first details of the new OOTP XI features have been outlines, and looks awesome :3: gonna be picking this year's up (I buy every other year's version, so didn't play last year's).

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-10-general-discussions/192604-little-out-park-baseball-11-update.html

Nice to see some more stats that've been much needed, though I woulda liked to see tRA too. And of course those defensive metrics are kinda lovely but considering the state of defensive metrics I'm sure it'll do. Even so, the big draft upgrades are awesome: sounds like it's coming very close to actually mirroring MLB in most of this front office stuff, which is nice.

That actually looks pretty drat awesome. I might be buying that.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.
That's really intriguing. Are there any free or excessively cheap previous versions out there that I could give a test of since I've never played before?

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I'm 99% sure that OOTP Developments released OOTP6 for free along with the previous versions.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

So I finally had someone break Cy Young's 511 victories on BBM -- Tom Seaver, who has 584 and counting as a 37-year-old.

:woop:

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
How many Goons play OOTPX? I'm playing in an online league with some random people I found on the OOTP forums, league called The Show. It's pretty good, but the community is kinda quiet. Plus they gave me the drat Royals.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
For anyone that is thinking of getting OOTP 11:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0062/

quote:

Spring Training is just around the corner, and what would a new baseball season be without a new iteration of the best baseball management simulation on the market? Out of the Park Baseball 11 will be released in April 2010, and is now available for preorder!! Better still, this year, we're offering an extra-special discount! From now through the end of Sunday, you can purchase OOTP 11 for just $24.99, $15 off the list price! That's just three days at nearly 40% off! Preorder customers will also receive the game two days before the public release of the game.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Tavarin posted:

For anyone that is thinking of getting OOTP 11:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0062/

Yeah, for $25, pretty much can't go wrong until after the first nine patches.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
For those of you that play HBD and OOTP are they very similar?

Is there enough variation to make playing both worth while?

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Scrotos posted:

For those of you that play HBD and OOTP are they very similar?

Is there enough variation to make playing both worth while?

They actually are a lot similar, though coach hiring is a lot less painful.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I just got OOTP X for Christmas and love it, so how different is OOTP XI going to be? Could someone summarize for me how much X and 9 differed for example?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
In Mogul, is there any way to edit specific attributes? For example, I created myself ( :rolleyes: ) and gave myself a skill of 80 with a peak of 90. But then I ended up being 6'3, 220, and all of my specific fielding/hitting attributes were fleshed out for me. Well sir, I'm not 6'3. If I was, maybe I wouldn't have to create myself in a video game.

Same goes for pitchers - I see in PitchRatings.csv it has fastball average speed, and does at least list their pitches, but I can't find the ratings anywhere. Are those just randomly generated (along with hitting/fielding) based on previous season stats slash overall rating for each new franchise?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
All of the stuff like that is held in the bottom left of the Edit Player screen (assuming you've got commissioner mode on - pretty sure you need it to create a player, anyway). You may need to scroll down a bit to find it, though, but all of height/weight/fastball speed (it bases the other pitches' speeds off of that automatically)/pitch quality/which pitches you have, etc etc, in that pretty length section.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

joshtothemaxx posted:

How many Goons play OOTPX? I'm playing in an online league with some random people I found on the OOTP forums, league called The Show. It's pretty good, but the community is kinda quiet. Plus they gave me the drat Royals.

I play in a few leagues after buying it around christmas, having a great time. I was lucky enough to grab 2 teams that were coming out of rebuilding phases and are in decent markets, and another that is hopeless and is going to have to burn it all down and start over.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Allyn posted:

All of the stuff like that is held in the bottom left of the Edit Player screen (assuming you've got commissioner mode on - pretty sure you need it to create a player, anyway). You may need to scroll down a bit to find it, though, but all of height/weight/fastball speed (it bases the other pitches' speeds off of that automatically)/pitch quality/which pitches you have, etc etc, in that pretty length section.
But it seems to be randomly generated before each franchise, is that correct? As in, the (for example) fastball rating for Johan Santana isn't accurate? It's just taking his overall rating (presumably 95 or so) and synthesizing a 95 pitcher, but not his specific pitches?

I did find one CSV which lists the pitches though - just can't find the ratings for those pitches anywhere.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

nasboat posted:

So I finally had someone break Cy Young's 511 victories on BBM -- Tom Seaver, who has 584 and counting as a 37-year-old.

:woop:

He keeps getting hurt when he turns 35 on my all star expos team. Johnny Bench however is 35 and has broken ruths record and continues to post 50 hr years.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Groucho Marxist posted:

Whenever I see the guy with these stats I always retire him.

No lie, once in a sim the computer generated a guy named Cletus Fuckhat.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Chief McHeath posted:

No lie, once in a sim the computer generated a guy named Cletus Fuckhat.

Was he an all-start?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gardenald posted:

I know exactly what you mean

If history had a sense of justice... :smug:

Netsky
Jun 24, 2004
I AM THE STREET

I made a 2009 OOTP league and realigned the leagues into a Western and Eastern conference of 15 each, with 8 teams from each league making the playoffs (NHL/NBA style).

I hope they announce relegation and international teams for OOTP11, but I'd think they would have already mentioned something like that considering it comes out in a month.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

Netsky posted:

I made a 2009 OOTP league and realigned the leagues into a Western and Eastern conference of 15 each, with 8 teams from each league making the playoffs (NHL/NBA style).

I dig that. The current MLB alignment is so loving dumb. I moved Milwaukee back to the AL, expanded the league 2 teams (one AL, one NL), and then set it up like the NFL is now (32 teams, 2 leagues, 8 total divisions).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Glad to see I'm not the only one who realigned. I went with old style - AL, NL, East, West. If you can't win your division after 162 games, that's not my problem.

What is my problem however was the divisional imbalance - 8 in the east, 7 in the west. I can never be in charge of anything.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Don't believe it's been posted, but BBM 2011 is out. I'm having a poo poo ton of runners getting thrown out going for extra bases - started a game as the 1995 Brewers, my catcher went 3 for 4 off Roger Clemens but was never actually on base. He got thrown out going for third on a double once and thrown out going for second on a single twice.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
$35, great, can't wait for it to be $50 in three years, with a $5 increase justified with every minor tweak they should have had a couple years ago.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

Don't believe it's been posted, but BBM 2011 is out. I'm having a poo poo ton of runners getting thrown out going for extra bases - started a game as the 1995 Brewers, my catcher went 3 for 4 off Roger Clemens but was never actually on base. He got thrown out going for third on a double once and thrown out going for second on a single twice.

Clay posted:

I finally sat down and re-wrote the entire logic that computer teams use to offer and accept trades. As the Trading Deadline approaches, teams out of contention become more aggressive at trading good players for prospects. And teams in contention do the reverse. In addition, the entire valuation engine has been changed. Among other things, it's now much harder to pry superstars and "can't-miss" prospects away from any team.

Could you try making a bunch of dumb trades and see if the trading system is actually fixed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

whateverfor posted:

Could you try making a bunch of dumb trades and see if the trading system is actually fixed?

Okay. In Mogul 2010 I traded Dave Bush and some non-prospects for Justin Upton. Now it takes a bit more realistic offer to get future superstars. You certainly can't get them by adding middling to bad major league players with gigantic contracts until the AI says "sure okay." Here's one that I did in a 2009 game:

Brewers give:
JJ Hardy
7(!) prospects projected in the high 70s to mid 80s overall

Diamondbacks give:
Justin Upton
$500,000

It still doesn't value negatives properly - I was able to add Jeff Suppan, Chris Capuano, and David Riske and nothing changed about the deal. Still, that's a definite improvement over last year.

• Locked thread