Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

OOTP 11 is on sale for $29.99 until July 19th, just a heads up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I take that back, the game thinks Chicago is a small market, as in less than 10/20.

Check out the "Preceding year balance" part of the owner page. Looks like Mr Aruba is lining his pockets from the success I've acheived.

(Clickable thumbnails so as not to break the board.)

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

I take that back, the game thinks Chicago is a small market, as in less than 10/20.

Check out the "Preceding year balance" part of the owner page. Looks like Mr Aruba is lining his pockets from the success I've acheived.

(Clickable thumbnails so as not to break the board.)

Congratulations, you're the 1992 Cubs!

I bought OOTP 11 yesterday and it is lightyears better than OOTP 8. The best part is that all that scouting mini-game bullshit is gone. I don't like that I don't have a GM home page with links to everything anymore, though. I liked the old GM home page insttead of this page that just gives useless suggestions like, "Maybe you should check the waiver wire."

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
I'm not going to say that

tadashi posted:

The potential stars are given by your scouts so they are biased according to your scouts strengths and weaknesses. You want to look at the guy's actual attributes and not just the stars, too. Gap Power or Baserunning Instincts on their own are useless but high contact with gap power might get you somewhere. Be sure to scout the entire draft with all of your scouts. You can see how long it's going to take your scouts to complete their next task and you can see when the amateur draft is, so plan accordingly.

Also, sometimes it's better to take a guy who is currently 2 stars but will only achieve 3 1/2 over a guy who has 1 star but should grow into 4.

It looks like the AI of OOTP was actually written by every Cubs GM. Who cares if you have an awesome pitcher in the minors? Just make sure you play the guys with major league contracts a lot so you look like you're not wasting money.

I don't generally look at stars but at the real stats.

Can someone give a short tutorial on how to scout properly?

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain

Traxis posted:

OOTP 11 is on sale for $29.99 until July 19th, just a heads up.

Just checked BM's site and bm2011 is down to $24.99 for the time being. I'm torn.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
Pardon the double post but

gyroball posted:

In class all day, OOTP does not run well on netbooks (BBM does by the way) but will post trip review later tonight

If someone could address this it would pretty much make up my mind. I just picked up an acer ao532h (Intel Atom Processor N540; 1GB RAM; Windows 7, 32-bit) and am debating picking up ootp11 if I can get it on sale or just reinstalling BBM2009.

edit: anyone know if/how i can change the resolution in BBM2009? new netbook is at 1024x600 but i think the game is at 1024x768 or something. In any case i can't see the bottom part of the screen - where expiring contracts, injuries, etc. are listed

danifestmestny fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 19, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr.Showtime posted:

I don't generally look at stars but at the real stats.

Can someone give a short tutorial on how to scout properly?

I should have asked which version of OOTP you're playing. 8 and 11 are different in how scouting works.

If you're using 8, each of your scouts has strengths and weaknesses. If you're looking at hitting ability, you should trust the scout with "19" in "Scout Hitting" over the scout with 12. You also have different scouting reports on players. You want to trust more recent reports over older reports. Strategically speaking, I keep my scouts working all the time. Priority one is to make sure that you have some scouts available when the first year player draft is announced. You can scout the entire draft starting that day. Other than that, you can keep your scouts busy in different ways. It seems like it doesn't take as long to scout teams in your region than teams farther away. Sometimes I just start at the top of the list of MLB teams and scout my way through everyone. It helps to take a break every once in a while to scout your own organization.

Of course, you can also use the game options to run full SISA scouting reports on the whole leage at any time. It's kind of like cheating except there's no penalty.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006
Nah I'm using 11.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]

Mr.Showtime posted:

Nah I'm using 11.

Oh. Then the scouting is way simplified and mostly passive.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
I'm just trying to imagine the reaction if this actually happened

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bob Shabazz posted:

I wish that would happen in one of my games.

Mr.Showtime
Oct 22, 2006

Bob Shabazz posted:

I had this happen and it is seriously awesome.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

One thing I notice about OOTP is that it considers Ryne Sandberg injury prone. He is on the DL all the time, which is completely untrue of his career. He played 150 games from the time he became a full time starter until the year before he retired.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
BBM is pretty fun.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Johnson's 1987.

425 Ks in 287 IP. Holy poo poo.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I love Baseball Mogul.

And probably my favorite:

Second best winning percentage all time. Never lost more than 10 games a season. He also is the all-time leader in GB%.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
The weirdest poo poo is guys who get in the HOF based on their awesome fielding alone. Like in my 30 year sim the Mariners traded for Alan Trammell, who had a sub .300 SLG like 4 or 5 times, but his fielding was allegedly so awesome that it was worth keeping him aboard.

Also as amazing as Randy Johnson's 87 was, seeing him get one more CG SHO in his last year is :unsmith:

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
99%, what loving virtual rear end in a top hat didn't vote for randy "jesus christ" johnson

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Moe_Rahn posted:

99%, what loving virtual rear end in a top hat didn't vote for randy "jesus christ" johnson

425 strikeouts in a season? Eh, it's a wash.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Moe_Rahn posted:

I think that BBM does a very realistic job modeling the "WE CAN'T UNANIMOUSLY VOTE FOR SOMEONE BECAUSE EVEN THE GREAT BABE RUTH DIDN'T GET 100%" subset of sportswriters. You know, the assholes.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
My favorites are always the random dominant guys

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Bob Shabazz posted:

My favorites are always the random dominant guys

Rico Carty's RL career line is .299/.369/.464, those OOTP numbers are pretty reasonable if he hadn't been completely derailed by injuries.

Dude went for .366/.454/.584 in '70. Ricowns.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I guess Dock Ellis took more LSD before games in that universe.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Harlock posted:

i see you and raise you:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hate how Lefty hitters are almost always terrible against lefty pitchers in OOTP. Also, this is almost always the career of Griffey, jr., in OOTP. I always try to trade for him as soon as he's available and then ship him off for prospects when I think he's about to fall off a cliff.

Also, I found a bug earlier that allowed me to trade an average rookie league pitcher for Manny Ramirez (mid-season while hitting .308/.391/.513) and about 4 prospects in 1994.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 25, 2010

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

tadashi posted:

this is almost always the career of Griffey, jr., in OOTP.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Maybe my knowledge of pre-strike baseball is lacking, but what teams SLN and CHN? Those abbreviations don't ring any bells with me.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Cheezymadman posted:

Maybe my knowledge of pre-strike baseball is lacking, but what teams SLN and CHN? Those abbreviations don't ring any bells with me.

St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs, I think (SLN = st. louis national league, as opposed to the SLA st. louis browns)

Personally I change those to SLC and CHC but I think two letters + N or A for league is the default

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

Tiny Torso posted:

i see you and raise you:

2019 lmao

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs, I think (SLN = st. louis national league, as opposed to the SLA st. louis browns)

Personally I change those to SLC and CHC but I think two letters + N or A for league is the default

I always change that in the beginning but the AI changes it back at the end of the first season. I hate how it just uses city names in news articles and stuff like the best minor league systems because I don't know who it's talking about.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

ThatsMyBoye posted:

2019 lmao

somehow his slash line that year is still worse than real-life 2004 barry bonds

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
And he still couldn't beat Bonds' single season HR record. Bonds reigns supreme. :smugbird:

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

pre:
Brewers		AB	H	BB	R	HR	RBI	
Jim Gantner PH	1	1	0	1	1	4
least likely grand slam ever? came in the 8th inning against bill campbell, who is (I think) the Red Sox's closer, putting the brewers up 8-5, the eventual margin of victory

1979 owns

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I love you and your random name generation, Baseball Mogul.

Playin' baseball to pay for law school :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

CraigK posted:

how is he still in the minors

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thee OOTP development team has announced that it will stop updates for 11 in order to focus on finishing OOTP 12. Sounds good to me.

Also, in my 2010 league, Major League Baseball has extended the arbitration requirement to 6 MLB service years. As I am currently managing the KC Royals, :awesome:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I've noticed a major hole in the trading AI in OOTP. If a team has massively overrun their budget for a season, it's possible to trade them incredibly mediocre players for whatever you want so long as you have the budget room. It's hard not to exploit this hole every time it arises (say when the LA Dodgers realize they are broke).

Also, is it my imagination, or don't players who receive suspensions due to conduct in the playoffs usually have those suspensions transferred to the first games of the next season? I don't know if this has ever actually happened in real life...

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Ok, this is why I love/hate BM

Started a new game in 1901, based around WiS legend Highball Wilson. So my first season we're terrible, 1902 I draft Eddie Cicotte 2nd overall, and he immediately gets a start directly out of high school.

First 8 innings: 0 hits, 1 walk, 3 errors. And then...this is the 9th inning. As he goes for a no hitter in his MLB debut at age 17.

the catcher error was also a bunt attempt

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

CraigK posted:

It might sound ridiculous, but I'm not making this up. After playing thousands of seasons of MLB the show 06, I happened upon a player by the name of Dick Head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP 11 is 50% off until November 3rd. Development on 11 has stopped so they can work on 12, but I still enjoy it.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0069/

• Locked thread