Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

I'll keep track of this thread, maybe I'll buy OOTP 12 when it comes out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Have yall used any free website based sims that I can use to get my feet wet before I drop some cash on these things? I'd like to have some idea of what I'm doing before i jump in. Pennantchase.com is free wondering how that is...

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Cold Sprunk posted:

Have yall used any free website based sims that I can use to get my feet wet before I drop some cash on these things? I'd like to have some idea of what I'm doing before i jump in. Pennantchase.com is free wondering how that is...

OOTP 8 is free and will give you a better idea of what you'll be getting into than any website game. I'm not sure there's anything web-based that comes close to the complexity of these games. WiS stuff has a similar feel, but that costs money too and is entirely multiplayer focused

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/ootp8/

Cold Sprunk
Apr 11, 2009
Thanks for the suggestion. Downloaded it and it doesn't seem to wanna work well with my mac. Keeps crashing.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Uh.

Is BBM designed to randomly spawn a dude named "Haywood Jablomey," because I sure as hell didn't edit the player's name to that or add it to the name files?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Uh.

Is BBM designed to randomly spawn a dude named "Haywood Jablomey," because I sure as hell didn't edit the player's name to that or add it to the name files?

Never noticed it but that owns, what year is it/where did he appear?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders

4th round draft pick. It's bizarre

+ Also when pictures don't match up with handedness/position it always bugs me.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ThatsMyBoye posted:

nice he owns too

Mighty Mumbler
Nov 9, 2007
If I lie about the size of my package, is that a phallusy?
So I picked up OOTP11 with the halfprice special deal. Started a Major League game, and I think someone broke the players union 3 years in:

2012: Active Roster Size drops to 24
2013: Players do not become arbitration eligible until after the 6th year of major league service

This officially makes up for BJ Upton ending his career with a defensive concussion.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Mighty Mumbler posted:

So I picked up OOTP11 with the halfprice special deal. Started a Major League game, and I think someone broke the players union 3 years in:

2013: Players do not become arbitration eligible until after the 6th year of major league service

This officially makes up for BJ Upton ending his career with a defensive concussion.

Right now, I've got a game in the 2030s that features 38 man rosters instead of 40 man rosters, a 13 day DL, and options have been abolished (players can freely be recalled and demoted to the minors).

Also there are a ridiculous number of teams and a guy on the Cardinals who came within 2 walks of Bonds's single-season record (and he's only 26).

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Same game as I posted earlier, sometimes you would make a left-handed white pitcher with no facial hair, and your profile picture would be a black righty with a white mustache. :iiam:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Uh.

Absolutely not bullshit, BBM once created for me a guy named Cletus Fuckhat and some months later I saw someone on the BBM forums have the same name appear.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mighty Mumbler posted:

What's happening is that you have Dynamic Evolution enabled in League Options. There's a number of sub-options that you can tick on or off in the options menu for the league but if you leave all Dynamic Evolution options available you'll have something significant happen every year.

If you want to play a league and don't want it to change much it's best to just go into the league options and disable Dynamic Evolution completely.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

After one season in OOTP I had to turn all that dynamic season stuff off. The Marlins moved to Austin out of nowhere!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

After one season in OOTP I had to turn all that dynamic season stuff off. The Marlins moved to Austin out of nowhere!

I think historical games are less dynamic, except for expanding on time. I've been playing my current game since 1989 and it's now 2007 and there hasn't been anything crazy. For some reason, the start of the season keeps moving back more and more. The All-Star game now takes place in June and we are done with the regular season in September.

I kind of love the random incidents, though. Nick Swisher just took a header for a career ending concussion after playing 2 1/4 seasons with 122 HR and career OPS of .959. Even in an alternate reality, thinks don't work out for him as planned. Frank Viola as a HOFer owns, though.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 4, 2010

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
If you guys like BM and OOTP you should check out WiS HBD.

jeffersonlives posted:

Trimonthly advertising post: the goon Hardball Dynasty league is opening up again tomorrow.

Hardball Dynasty is sort of the baseball version of a MMORPG from a general manager's perspective. You draft, sign, promote, put together rosters, run a farm system, scout talent, and basically do everything except actually play the games in a 32 team world. It is a lot of fun (especially when your 20 year old uberprospect wins the MVP as a May callup), we have an active and pretty stable base of owners, and our seasonal threads in TAQ get thousands of posts. Plus you'll get to meet WIS superstar Art and get all the Marvin Lyon jokes! A great way to stave off the offseason doldrums!

A major upgrade for season 14: our goon league finally went private and installed SAS superstar ThatsMyBoye as league commissioner. So although there's still non-goons in it, we can now ensure that goons who want to play get spot priority over random dudes, which has been a problem in the past. And instead of having to be on-call for the league to open up because we filled within hours, that can proceed at a more leisurely pace. Much less of a pain in the rear end!

I know there were a couple of people who tried to get in the last couple seasons and got locked out. Not a concern this time! The first trial season is $15 and it's run by Fox Sports so it's pretty safe and all that stuff.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I traded for one of OOTP's trademark overpowered randomly generated players as a 22 year old minor leaguer and made it a point to build a team around him. I was trying to see if I could get a career Rocky into the HoF

500 HR, 1500 RBI, and 4 gold gloves (he had a 20 in every infield position when I got him) later:

:unsmith:

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
Aw shucks. Ain't that a heartfelt goodbye. :(

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
So I've got this OOTP11 and I've had it for a while, sitting there, taunting me on my desktop. I want to do something with it. Anyone in any leagues that are looking for fillins, got any cool-rear end mods, scenarios, I don't know?

That logo is on my desktop! Help me have fun with it!

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Good night, Chesty, wherever you are.

Deathlove posted:

So I've got this OOTP11 and I've had it for a while, sitting there, taunting me on my desktop. I want to do something with it. Anyone in any leagues that are looking for fillins, got any cool-rear end mods, scenarios, I don't know?

That logo is on my desktop! Help me have fun with it!

I just sent you a PM about a league opening :)

Also, if anyone else is interested in joining an OOTP 11 league,

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

The Dodgers and Orioles are currently open. The league has its own forum on a different message board, but there are several goons already in the league.

Thanks!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LtGen Chesty Puller posted:

I just sent you a PM about a league opening :)

Also, if anyone else is interested in joining an OOTP 11 league,

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

The Dodgers and Orioles are currently open. The league has its own forum on a different message board, but there are several goons already in the league.

Thanks!

I'm interested and would take either team. I've been playing OOTP 11 a lot since mid-summer but I haven't played in an online league before so I'd need a quick catch up on what I need to know in order to not piss people off.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

tadashi posted:

I'm interested and would take either team. I've been playing OOTP 11 a lot since mid-summer but I haven't played in an online league before so I'd need a quick catch up on what I need to know in order to not piss people off.

I also would do these things. I will take the team he doesn't take. Thanks!

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Awesome. I'll leave it to you guys to settle who takes who. I'll PM you guys with forum and file information.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Looking at the league site, it looks like it's the Dodgers and Orioles open?

Either way, I'd prefer NL, so whichever it is (Dodgers/Dbacks), I'd like. Cool, tadashi?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I would like the Orioles, so that works out well. I registered on the other forums as Tadashi. I'm waiting for activation. It looks like Wieters and Markakis are living up to their expectations in this league. I'm anxious to get in and at least give Baltimore's minor league a shake up. It looks like there are a lot of players in the system that need to be moved around. I have never seen this many pitchers in a rookie league roster....

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 29, 2010

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
Maybe one day I can post on the sim forums :(

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Scrotos posted:

Yeah, the admins don't give a poo poo about it anymore, but went to needing activation because of spammers. :smith:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tavarin posted:

Yeah, the admins don't give a poo poo about it anymore, but went to needing activation because of spammers. :smith:

That must make communication a little difficult. Do you guys use your irc channel much?

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

So in OOTP 11 I once started a Major League game and manually replaced every single team's logo and uniforms with custom ones I had downloaded before. I want to start another one, but is there an easier way to do?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tadashi posted:

That must make communication a little difficult. Do you guys use your irc channel much?

Yes, quite a bit!

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Scrotos posted:

I'm trying to get an admin account from the site owner to keep this from happening.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
This is probably a real dumb question but in OOTP11 is there some way to use the Major League template and also import historical players? I'm trying to start a game in 2005, and I'd like to have real minor leagues without the horrid work of redoing all of them from scratch.

OKCecil
Dec 9, 2003
INTERNET PANHANDLER
There's now an opening for the Mets in the previously mentioned OOTP league.

I am also in that league and it's fun so join ok

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

OKCecil posted:

There's now an opening for the Mets in the previously mentioned OOTP league.

I am also in that league and it's fun so join ok

What kind of a time commitment is it? How newbie-friendly is the league?

OKCecil
Dec 9, 2003
INTERNET PANHANDLER
There are four sims a week (M/W/F/Sa). It's not a huge time-sink, mostly just downloading the new file every sim and making whatever changes you deem necessary. It's very active and friendly to new players. There are quite a few goons, and those who aren't are real cool dudes.

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

OKCecil posted:

There are four sims a week (M/W/F/Sa). It's not a huge time-sink, mostly just downloading the new file every sim and making whatever changes you deem necessary. It's very active and friendly to new players. There are quite a few goons, and those who aren't are real cool dudes.

That's debatable. :v:

Yeah, Mornacle, its a really fun league who is open to new guys. The core of owners has been doing OOTP leagues since 2002. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll get you set up.

(I won 102 games last season with the Pirates led by Pedro and Neil!)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

LtGen Chesty Puller posted:

That's debatable. :v:

Yeah, Mornacle, its a really fun league who is open to new guys. The core of owners has been doing OOTP leagues since 2002. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll get you set up.

(I won 102 games last season with the Pirates led by Pedro and Neil!)

I never realized until just this moment that you were Toona. :aaaaa:

As for the league, as I just told DKC on chat, I think I'm going to hold off for now. I'm finishing up my thesis and allowing myself to add distractions is a good way to not graduate. After I graduate (knock on wood) in a few weeks, though, I'm definitely interested.

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Mornacale posted:

I never realized until just this moment that you were Toona. :aaaaa:

As for the league, as I just told DKC on chat, I think I'm going to hold off for now. I'm finishing up my thesis and allowing myself to add distractions is a good way to not graduate. After I graduate (knock on wood) in a few weeks, though, I'm definitely interested.

I'll hold the team open. No problem. :)

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
There's a loving OOTP thread on SA well I never :v:

If Toona's pimping out the SCMLB, I'll take that cue to fill out the Rising Star League as well! We also operate over at BBSC so yeah registering an account is all hosed up for the moment but don't let that discourage you!

Anyway, the Rising Star League is a totally fictional baseball league. We're in our 13th season of online league play, though the league is actually in its 31st season. (who doesn't like a little extra history in their baseball league?)

Being completely fictional, as well as a "talent only" league (current player ratings are not displayed) it's not quite as friendly to brand new OOTP players, if only because OOTP does some kind of weird stuff from time to time and it helps if you're familiar with the game so you can avoid being misled occasionally. That said we welcome brand new players and it's really not that big of a deal and you guys are all probably smart enough to handle whatever but I figured I'd mention it.

Over the seasons I've tired of the incredibly low hit/miss ratio when it came to recruiting randoms from the ootpdev boards. We had a handful of open teams, but very recently we've siphoned off some newer goon members from Toona's recruitment here. We also have some goon members who have been around for much longer.

Still, there remain two available lovely teams. The Chicago Phantoms and the Vancouver Wolves. Both are aging former powerhouse organizations, so the cupboard is kind of bare. Should anybody be interested in giving the league a shot, feel free to get in touch with me. :) No rush, the 2020 season is winding down so there isn't much for a new GM to do with these teams besides get acclimated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I have an old old old account on BBSC. If I can remember the details I might sign up for this. What version of OOTP is this?

• Locked thread