Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

con posted:

I have an old old old account on BBSC. If I can remember the details I might sign up for this. What version of OOTP is this?

11, the latest version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I might be interested in taking Vancouver if I can move them to the Yukon territory and call them the Jacks.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

LtGen Chesty Puller posted:

I'll hold the team open. No problem. :)

Feel free to give it up if someone else wants it. I can get used to the game as I lie in wait.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I will take an RSL team if you can't find any new players who want it. Is anyone managing those teams at all at the moment, or are they being completely simmed?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 2, 2010

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Buane posted:

There's a loving OOTP thread on SA well I never :v:

If Toona's pimping out the SCMLB, I'll take that cue to fill out the Rising Star League as well! We also operate over at BBSC so yeah registering an account is all hosed up for the moment but don't let that discourage you!

Anyway, the Rising Star League is a totally fictional baseball league. We're in our 13th season of online league play, though the league is actually in its 31st season. (who doesn't like a little extra history in their baseball league?)

Being completely fictional, as well as a "talent only" league (current player ratings are not displayed) it's not quite as friendly to brand new OOTP players, if only because OOTP does some kind of weird stuff from time to time and it helps if you're familiar with the game so you can avoid being misled occasionally. That said we welcome brand new players and it's really not that big of a deal and you guys are all probably smart enough to handle whatever but I figured I'd mention it.

Over the seasons I've tired of the incredibly low hit/miss ratio when it came to recruiting randoms from the ootpdev boards. We had a handful of open teams, but very recently we've siphoned off some newer goon members from Toona's recruitment here. We also have some goon members who have been around for much longer.

Still, there remain two available lovely teams. The Chicago Phantoms and the Vancouver Wolves. Both are aging former powerhouse organizations, so the cupboard is kind of bare. Should anybody be interested in giving the league a shot, feel free to get in touch with me. :) No rush, the 2020 season is winding down so there isn't much for a new GM to do with these teams besides get acclimated.

Ah, so this is the RSL mentioned last night in my martini haze. I'll take the Phantoms, if that's chill with you.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Deathlove posted:

Ah, so this is the RSL mentioned last night in my martini haze. I'll take the Phantoms, if that's chill with you.

You are going down!

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Good night, Chesty, wherever you are.

Mornacale posted:

Feel free to give it up if someone else wants it. I can get used to the game as I lie in wait.

The Yankees are the open team now. They're not too bad if you disregard the laughably expensive contracts.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
RSL is now filled up with Goons. There may still be a spot or two in the near future as we clear possible dead wood, so if you're interested/will have time later you can also get in touch with me.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Hey Buane and Toona my work just blew up in my face, I think I just lost pretty much all my free time. So if you want to find others for my teams, I am cool with that.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Scrotos posted:

Hey Buane and Toona my work just blew up in my face, I think I just lost pretty much all my free time. So if you want to find others for my teams, I am cool with that.

If you want (and it's possible to do), I'd be willing to be some sort of temporary co-GM with you in Toona's league. Then we could potentially both play without taking too much time for your work and my thesis, and when you have a lighter load I could hopefully take over another team. And then I'll trade you Adrian Gonzalez for a bunch of scrubs!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How many people are now waiting for authorization on the SimCentral forums?
<- raises hand

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Mornacale posted:

If you want (and it's possible to do), I'd be willing to be some sort of temporary co-GM with you in Toona's league. Then we could potentially both play without taking too much time for your work and my thesis, and when you have a lighter load I could hopefully take over another team. And then I'll trade you Adrian Gonzalez for a bunch of scrubs!

I would be down for this.

tadashi posted:

<- raises hand

Me too.

con
Aug 5, 2004

There's always next year...
I just upgraded to windows 7 and OOTP X won't start up for me after a fresh install. Do I need to run in compatibility mode or something?

edit: Yes I do, nevermind.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

con posted:

I just upgraded to windows 7 and OOTP X won't start up for me after a fresh install. Do I need to run in compatibility mode or something?

edit: Yes I do, nevermind.

Yeah, I run mine off my old Vista installation.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

tadashi posted:

<- raises hand

I just talked to the admin so hopefully you should be authorized soon. :gonk:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Scrotos, I've been trying to catch you on AIM to discuss the team. Is there some other good way to get in touch with you?

Also, Toona (or someone who knows the game), could you tell us if co-GMing a team is possible or not.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Scrotos, I've been trying to catch you on AIM to discuss the team. Is there some other good way to get in touch with you?

Also, Toona (or someone who knows the game), could you tell us if co-GMing a team is possible or not.

It very much so is, you just gotta know my password and stuff so when you download the file you can log in as me. I am on AIM most nights all night or on gchat.

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Mornacale posted:

To be honest, co-GMing a team is a pain in the nutsack. The CPU will be okay until you're freed up.

On a related note, do you have any interest in taking the Pirates instead of the Yankees? Believe it or not, the Yankees are the 95 loss team, and the Pirates won 102 games last year under my tutelage. The Yankees just have a lot of bad contracts and the finances aren't quite portrayed as they are in real life, so the billions in revenue aren't there to make up for bad contracts. It makes for a pretty disadvantageous situation for a new owner to walk into. That, and it would be nice to have another Pirates fan running the Pirates. :)

Let me know either here or SC.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
:)

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Does anyone have a link to Gyroball's LP BBM threads? I want to relive the fantasty!

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

In the aforementioned league that Scrotos and Deathlove have joined, the Kansas City Royals are available. They have plenty of talent, having won 95 games in 2011, and have the biggest commodity in the league in Greinke.

Any interest? :)

Cordialatron
Jun 28, 2004

I know I'm some kind of interplanetary agent but I don't think my signals are decoding properly.
Not sure if this is old news, but for the holiday season, OOTP 11 is $19.99. No idea how long this deal is running for.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Does anyone have a link to Gyroball's LP BBM threads? I want to relive the fantasty!

Here's #1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679506&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Some of the image hosts are failing, and I think there was a pdf version made a year or so ago that has everything...not sure.

v That.

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 21, 2010

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Here's #1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679506&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Some of the image hosts are failing, and I think there was a pdf version made a year or so ago that has everything...not sure.

Here are the PDF links
Part 1
Part 2

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I think Agent Cooper's picture doesn't show up in the PDF, but it's pretty good otherwise.

MODS CURE JOKES
Nov 11, 2009

OFFICIAL SAS 90s REMEMBERER
OOTP is so amazing. :allears:

By 2044, this has happened:

- 2 new Expansion teams (Columbus Rancheros and the Jacksonville Golden Sox - AL Central and West, respectively)
- The Nationals moved to Memphis, and became the Fielders
- The Diamondbacks moved to Austin to become the Silver Hawks
- The Pirates had a 20-year period of total dominance in-division
- The Yankees have sucked more often than not

Yeah.

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Dynamic Leagues are a really fun part of OOTP, except when you create an all-Pennsylvania team league, and it expands to Georgia :v:

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
The best is when things happen like "option years are done away with" or "active rosters increase to 28 players".

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Another opening is up in the OOTP league I run. This makes both the Yankees and White Sox (who are going to trade franchises with the Indians at the end of the year) both open to anyone interested.

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

The White Sox are in pretty good shape,as their previous owner was one of the league's best managers who is taking on way more hours at work and simply didn't have the time. The Yankees are a disaster with contracts, but have the advantage of being the Yankees and a large media deal and market.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
OOTP11 question -

Is there a way to Split: Last Year, Double-Split: Versus Lefties? When I do it that way, it doesn't do the double-split, and there's no way to Split: Versus Lefties, Double-Split: Last Year, since Last Year isn't an option in Double-Split.

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Roster tab under team men
View: batting stats
Split: Last Year
Double Split: vs. left hand

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

Couldn't figure out how to edit and add an attachment but here it is

Only registered members can see post attachments!

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thanks. I just assumed this was another one of those OOTP bugs you had to deal with. I never thought of trying under the Roster tab.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Actually, this doesn't work for me. It doesnt't actually do the Left/Right split. That is to say, the numbers don't change when I add in the left or right part under Double Split. It still just shows me overall for last year.

danifestmestny
Jun 11, 2003

Lincecum, Cain, and pray for rain
I asked a few pages ago, but I want to give it another shot: If anyone knows a way to get OOTP to work at a screen resolution of 1024x600 can you speak up? I figured out a work around for Mogul so I can play it on my laptop, but I still haven't found a way to get OOTP to run on my netbook.

LtGen Chesty Puller
Jan 15, 2010

danifestmestny posted:

I asked a few pages ago, but I want to give it another shot: If anyone knows a way to get OOTP to work at a screen resolution of 1024x600 can you speak up? I figured out a work around for Mogul so I can play it on my laptop, but I still haven't found a way to get OOTP to run on my netbook.

Getting it to work on a netbook requires a third party app to downscale the resolution, unfortunately.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I really don't get what the deal is with OOTP 11's resolutions. I could play 10 in a window just fine on my laptop, but now even the smallest resolution is too big to play in windowed mode. I guess I've gotten used to playing it full screen but it really is the perfect game for running in the background while I'm doing other stuff.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

I'm finally making WAR (Wins Above Replacement) visible in Baseball Mogul 2012. I've been using WAR in Baseball Mogul since the very first version, as it is the only logically consistent way to evaluate a player in dollar terms. But I've kept it hidden because of differences between Mogul and other baseball analysts (primarily when calculating park factors and replacement levels, but also in calculating linear weights for each played era).

Now that I've taken a closer look at the math Mogul uses, and I feel pretty good about it, I expect to make several new stats available in Baseball Mogul 2012 (released in March 2011).

Unfortunately, unlike ERA and Batting Average, there is no consensus on what player evaluation stats are best, or even what to call them. Even within the same web site, things can get awfully confusing. For example, 'wOBA' at FanGraphs has a league average of about .350 (and has very little to do with 'On Base Average' per se). But 'wFB' at the same site measure runs prevented, and is on an entirely different scale (with a league average of zero).

So these are the stats I expect to include, but I'm still undecided as to what abbreviations to use and what format they should take:

1) Batting Runs. The number of runs created above the league average, using "linear weights", adjusted for the batter's stadium (or stadiums). Pete Palmer called this 'Batting Runs' in the 1980s. Baseball-reference calls it 'Runs Batting' and abbreviates it 'rBat'. FanGraphs calls this 'wRAA' (for 'weighted runs above average') when it isn't park adjusted. After park-adjusting wRAA, they just call it 'Batting'.

I'm tempted to just call this Batting Runs (BR) but Runs Above Average (RAA) is also a term that makes sense.

2) Fielding Runs. Similar to "Batting Runs". Measures runs saved on defense compared with the league average at that position. It is similar in magnitude and methodology to UZR and TZR (depending on available stats). So I'm tempted to just call it Zone Rating (ZR), although Fielding Runs (FR) would also make sense (although please note that it is a very different stat from the less accurate 'Fielding Runs' stat that Pete Palmer invented).

3) Pitching Runs. Runs prevented compared to a replacement-level pitcher. Many sites call this Runs Above Replacement (RAR) but I've also seen it called Runs Prevented (RP) and Pitching Runs (PR). Baseball Mogul adjusts this stat for park factors, although it appears that no one else bothers to do this (I'm not sure why).

4) Batting Wins Above Replacement. Abbreviated 'bWAR' or 'oWAR' or maybe just 'BW' (Batting Wins).

5) Defensive Wins Above Replacement. Abbreviated 'dWAR' or maybe just 'DW' (Defensive Wins) or 'FW' (Fielding Wins).

6) Pitching Wins Above Replacement. Abbreviated 'pWAR' or maybe just 'PW' (Pitching Wins).

7) Wins Above Replacement (WAR). The sum of Batting Wins, Fielding Wins and Pitching Wins.

So ... instead of posting 10 different polls, I figured I would just pose some questions in a thread and elicit some thoughtful responses.

Would you like to see the above stats added?
What names and abbreviations make the most sense?
Are there important stats that I'm missing?
Are there important variations that I'm missing (such as adding 'ZR/150' in addition to 'ZR')?

I do plan to make these stats available in the 'Sortable Stats' page.

How important is it to have some of these stats ALSO available in the Lineup, Defense and Pitching dialogs?
In the Scouting Report (for each season, and each team the player played with)?
In the HTML Encyclopedia?

Thanks for your help!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Hot on the heels of Mogul is OOTP12's announcement:

OOTP posted:

Lineup Improvements in OOTP 12

PC Gamer called OOTP 11 "a no-doubt, walk-off home run no-brainer to become a part of your game collection," and OOTP 12 is no different. Our All-Star lineup of features gets better every year, and we've again improved many of them during this off-season. We're not done yet, so stay tuned to future newsletters.

2011 Major League Rosters

Here's a treat: the best roster set we've ever produced, from the big leagues' top stars to the guys making their debuts in rookie leagues. All players are individually rated with updated statistics and realistic contract data. Last year's top draft picks are included too. Could Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, with the veteran leadership of newly-acquired All-Star Jayson Werth, help propel the Washington Nationals to the top of the National League East in coming seasons?

Revamped Financial System

The Philadelphia Phillies shook the baseball world this winter when they signed top-flight free agent pitcher Cliff Lee, despite expectations that he would opt for the highest bidder. Now you can do the same with OOTP's improved player contract negotiations, which are more realistic and fun. You can even try to talk your owner into expanding the available budget, letting you squeeze in another All-Star contract. Don't forget to stay on top of the latest free agent signings and other news in the new off-season center, and keep your finger on the pulse of your team's finances with an improved view.

Contract possibilities are now more realistic, including vesting options, buyouts, minor league split contracts, signing bonuses and more performance bonus options. You can even now include remaining contract payments as an option in trades with AI-controlled GMs.

Online Leagues

We're proud to support Official OOTP Online Leagues with a full-featured interface inside OOTP 12. With just one click, you can join a team, and creating a league is just as easy. Commissioners can make their leagues public and advertise open teams, with the ability to accept or deny requests from would-be GMs.

Official OOTP Online Leagues offer several key advantages:

* League files are patches rather than full-size files, saving plenty of up- and download time.
* Reports can be saved in MySQL databases, increasing their upload speed.
* Forget about FTP: team data exports and imports work through the database. That results in improved compatibility and security for the league web site server.
* An export tracker.
* The promise of more great features to come, including online drafts and trades.

Greater Immersion and Realism

Historical leagues benefit from improved AI and real life transactions and as-played lineups as optional features. Thanks to OOTP's sophisticated game engine, you'll be able to enjoy the most realistic historical simulation results possible. How would the 1927 Yankees fare against their 1961 counterparts?

In addition, storylines have been expanded, and there are new ways to interact with your players. News presentations have also been revamped, making you feel like you're part of the hectic 24-hour "better stay on top of this" news cycle that dominates today's sports reporting.
In-Game and Core Engine Changes

Like a manager constantly seeking ways to get the most out of his lineup, we're always tinkering under OOTP's hood. Here's what you can look forward to this year:

* Recoded parts of the in-game AI, making it the most challenging ever in an OOTP game.
* Improved in-game sound, adding better quality sound files and more variation.
* Improved player evaluation AI, resulting in more realistic AI roster moves.
* Recoded parts of the trading AI.
* Recoded parts of the scouting engine.
* Improved injury and recovery system.
* Added WAR (Wins Above Replacement) as a statistic.
* Added a playoff roster for more realistic team transactions.
* Greatly enhanced the world database structure, resulting in more realistic fictional league and player creation.
* Added a simulation module, allowing you to match up two teams from the same league for a set number of games and see the simulation results. This is great for research purposes or just for toying around. For example, how would the 1927 Yankees fare against the 2004 Red Sox?

But that's not all - the feature list is not final yet and will include even more great additions before the game is released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

all those improvements tempted me enough to buy the OOTP12 after figuring I could probably go a year without.

The financials alone should make the game tons better.

• Locked thread