Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet
I've never played OOTP, but I've played BM for years. My major complaint isn't the financials or player progressions, but rather the total lack of expansion options if you want to totally customize a league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Captain Kickass posted:

I've never played OOTP, but I've played BM for years. My major complaint isn't the financials or player progressions, but rather the total lack of expansion options if you want to totally customize a league.

If you want that buy OOTP. Seriously, it's league customization options are amazing.

On that note, today (1/31) is supposedly the last day to pre-order OOTP 12 for $10 off! If you're like me and know you're going to buy it anyway, now's the time.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
A few months ago I posted here about an online OOTP league that I run, and I guess it's now about the time I do it again. I'm just going to copy most of this from my previous post because I am that lazy.

The Rising Star League is a totally fictional baseball league. We're currently in our 14th season of online league play, though the league has 32 seasons of history behind it.

Being completely fictional, as well as a "talent only" league (current player ratings are not displayed) it's not quite as friendly to brand new OOTP players...if only because OOTP does some kind of weird stuff from time to time and it helps if you're familiar with the game so you can avoid being misled occasionally. That said we welcome brand new players and it's really not that big of a deal and you guys are all probably smart enough to handle whatever but I figured I'd mention it.

Over the seasons I've tired of the incredibly low hit/miss ratio when it came to recruiting randoms from the ootpdev boards. We've had a few goons in the league since the beginning, and we've recently added even more.

Now, usually when I make a post about open teams I have nothing but lovely teams to offer. Not the case today. Here are the current available teams:

San Francisco Reds - It's been only 8 seasons since the Reds entered the league as an expansion team, but they've already been to two League Championships (World Series), winning one and falling last year to St. Louis in eight games. This year they put together one of the greatest on-paper pitching staffs ever, but bad luck and injuries have taken some of the luster off the club. Sure they're still 20 games over .500 in late August, but in this year's freakishly dichotomous Western Conference that currently makes them a playoff longshot. The team is built on a solid foundation of pitching and defense, and while this year they might have missed the boat, they'll be competitive for the foreseeable future.

Washington Senators - Like the Reds, the Senators are an expansion team. They've only been in existence for 10 seasons. Unlike the Reds, however, they've enjoyed absolutely no success at any point in their history. They've never had a winning season in those ten years. They've averaged over 110 losses for the last three seasons. However...this year they're just one game out of the playoffs as the calendar changes to September. Ok, ok, so they're 60-64. They currently play in what is hands-down the worst division in the league, and that means they have a shot...and a little human ownership could be the difference. Plus, beyond this year, their historical awfulness has given them some truly excellent prospects. (though perhaps with better ownership, they'd have even more) The Senators are starting their inevitable rise back to respectability, and it would be a good time to get in on the ground floor.

New York Patriots - The team that Washington is currently chasing, and the 61-63 team who would be in the playoffs if they started today, the Patriots have never had steady ownership for the entire lifetime of the league. Good players have come and gone, usually traded away in lopsided deals or set free in free agency, draft picks have come up and busted...the Patriots can't ever get out of their own way. But they have some good young players, decent prospects on the horizon, and the advantage of being able to compete for the postseason while sucking. Such is life in this terrible, terrible division.

Mexico City Guerreros - Another expansion team available? I'm just noticing that as I type this. We expanded south of the border, and Mexico City has sucked ever since. This team is saddled with such terrible contracts, and plays in one of the toughest divisions, I can't possibly suggest anybody take them right now. But if you'd like a challenge where you're completely hamstrung financially, well, here you go.

If you're interested in any of these teams, or you have questions about the league or about online leagues in general then just let me know. Post here or shoot me a PM or something. If you want to check out our league forums they're over here. There's a Rules Thread there that also contains useful information.

The league currently runs on OOTP11, however a decision has not been made whether or not we'll be converting to OOTP12. Having been burned on meager upgrades in the past, we're waiting to get a real good look at the next version first.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Buane posted:

San Francisco Reds - It's been only 8 seasons since the Reds entered the league as an expansion team, but they've already been to two League Championships (World Series), winning one and falling last year to St. Louis in eight games. This year they put together one of the greatest on-paper pitching staffs ever, but bad luck and injuries have taken some of the luster off the club. Sure they're still 20 games over .500 in late August, but in this year's freakishly dichotomous Western Conference that currently makes them a playoff longshot. The team is built on a solid foundation of pitching and defense, and while this year they might have missed the boat, they'll be competitive for the foreseeable future.

Their home stadium is like the Polo Grounds without the short left/right field lines.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

tadashi posted:

Their home stadium is like the Polo Grounds without the short left/right field lines.

Did I mention they are built on pitching and defense?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Buane posted:

Did I mention they are built on pitching and defense?

Sorry this is what I meant to point out, too. Big stadium, good pitching/defense.

Also, managing the Mets in an offline Sim has shown me just how hosed that franchise is.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 17, 2011

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Welp. Reinstalled OOTP 11. Not like I had anything productive to do anyway. Should I bother getting involved in an online league with 12 coming out in the spring?

That said, is there a thread or a list of Goon-run leagues for 11?

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:

Cheezymadman posted:

Welp. Reinstalled OOTP 11. Not like I had anything productive to do anyway. Should I bother getting involved in an online league with 12 coming out in the spring?

The two goon-run leagues are mostly housed over on sim-central forums.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

PM Buane or LtGen Chesty Puller here on SA or go to https://www.simcentral.net and check out the SCMLB. There may or may not be teams available. The Royals, Angels, Marlins, and White Sox all have new managers, I think. The previous Royals manager lasted about 2 weeks.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl
Decided to sim from 1901 to 2011 in a historical league, without recalculating ratings or letting the game "doctor" stats to make them more realistic, just to see what would happen.

I'm at 1914 so far, and I've already seen a weird one. Cy Young retires in 1906 (five years early) with only 376 wins (135 short of his real life total). Also, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb are both playing for the Phillies. :wtc:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

Decided to sim from 1901 to 2011 in a historical league, without recalculating ratings or letting the game "doctor" stats to make them more realistic, just to see what would happen.

I'm at 1914 so far, and I've already seen a weird one. Cy Young retires in 1906 (five years early) with only 376 wins (135 short of his real life total). Also, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb are both playing for the Phillies. :wtc:

Let me skip ahead for you: Derek Jeter has a short career playing mostly second base.

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

tadashi posted:

Let me skip ahead for you: Derek Jeter has a short career playing mostly second base.

Mo Vaughn won the Triple Crown in '94, and no one has gotten to 3000 hits. :psyduck:

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

http://i.imgur.com/EkZ88.jpg

what

Cheezymadman
Mar 29, 2010

by Fistgrrl

Nerokerubina posted:

http://i.imgur.com/EkZ88.jpg

what

I don't know which is worse, the steals or Reggie Jefferson laying down a sac bunt.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Cheezymadman posted:

I don't know which is worse, the steals or Reggie Jefferson laying down a sac bunt.

it's like ozzie guillen was managing them while being my shortstop!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the most surprising part is Mo Vaughn with 62 speed

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Running the 1901 to present simulation.... ty cobb hit .445 one year, insane.

Crud Bonemeal
Feb 9, 2006

But for us, it's not about one year. It's about trying to build a sustainable winner. If we build it correctly, we should be able to build a sustainable winner for the long term.

Cheezymadman posted:

Mo Vaughn won the Triple Crown in '94, and no one has gotten to 3000 hits. :psyduck:

Matt Stairs just won the triple crown in '96 :smug:

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet
In BBM 2010 I took control of the Senators in the 1961 expansion draft. I'm now in 1983, Dave Kingman has 750 career home runs and is still going strong, One of my pitchers is a career 312-39, and last year my team went 145-17.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Captain Kickass posted:

In BBM 2010 I took control of the Senators in the 1961 expansion draft. I'm now in 1983, Dave Kingman has 750 career home runs and is still going strong, One of my pitchers is a career 312-39, and last year my team went 145-17.

Replace Senators with Pilots, 1961 with 1969 and Dave Kingman with Gorman Thomas and you have one of my favorite BBM '10 franchises.

60s expansion drafts are the best.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are there going to be any goon run OOTP12 leagues?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there a release date yet?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Telex posted:

is there a release date yet?

April 12 to the public, April 10 to preorders. In theory.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Mogul 2012 is out, by the way.

Running out my first into-the-future sim now and Eric Hosmer won the AL MVP in 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Looking at the features, I'm not sure if Mogul has added anything significant for two years. And they're charging more. It's really a shame, I used to like it better than OOTP because it ran faster/was easier to get into.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

gyroball posted:

Looking at the features, I'm not sure if Mogul has added anything significant for two years. And they're charging more. It's really a shame, I used to like it better than OOTP because it ran faster/was easier to get into.

yeah, i haven't noticed any significant differences yet except the rosters. i'll happily switch to OOTP the moment that i can figure out how to play a season on it in even 1/2 the time it takes me to play a season of BBM.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
Did they even add more delivery/swing animations? Or fix the annoying thing where the player picture for fictional dudes didn't always match their handedness?

Those always annoy me and are things I think should be improved for a $40 product.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Ah and now I see the very first season of a sim simulates individual games as slowly as if you were in the 100th season.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Ah and now I see the very first season of a sim simulates individual games as slowly as if you were in the 100th season.

I have a feeling an SSD would actually improve the performance of these games amazingly. They write a buttload of tiny files every time they sim, so maybe a lot of the performance issues are drive related.

I've got an SSD in my laptop, I'm definitely going to run some comparisons from my desktop to my laptop when OOTP is out because that one ran nasty slow on sims for me with a crap hard drive but was way better on my RAID drives.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I say this because I never had slowness problems until about 2060 on BBM '10 (which, aside from a roster update and different color scheme, seems indistinguishable from the latest two versions), no matter what else I've got running at the time.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
OOTP 11 is only 5 dollars on Amazon Video Game Downloads. You should get it if you don't have it yet.

Edit: But I guess you cannot patch it for some reason. Might have issues with it, but it might be worth a shot.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP 12 released on April 14. Has anyone bought it?

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

tadashi posted:

Haha, OOTP never comes out on time.

Markus has been focusing on his horseshit iOOTP project, so OOTP 12 hasn't even gotten to beta testing yet, and as of this point doesn't even have a release date. They're hoping for somewhere in May, but who knows.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

tadashi posted:

Yeah not sure where you saw April 14, but I think plenty of people pre-ordered it (myself included) and haven't heard poo poo about poo poo yet.

Sorta disturbing but that's what you get with this I guess.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tavarin posted:

Haha, OOTP never comes out on time.

Markus has been focusing on his horseshit iOOTP project, so OOTP 12 hasn't even gotten to beta testing yet, and as of this point doesn't even have a release date. They're hoping for somewhere in May, but who knows.

I guess I should have actually checked before assuming Markus did something correctly.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

uggy posted:

OOTP 11 is only 5 dollars on Amazon Video Game Downloads. You should get it if you don't have it yet.

Edit: But I guess you cannot patch it for some reason. Might have issues with it, but it might be worth a shot.

Shows :10bux: for me

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
It makes me mad that iOOTP is just some stupid mini-OOTP when they could instead make an app that lets you control your regular OOTP franchise remotely.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Mornacale posted:

It makes me mad that iOOTP is just some stupid mini-OOTP when they could instead make an app that lets you control your regular OOTP franchise remotely.

Yes, but that would involve Markus not having his head up his rear end, and that's never going to happen.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Got an email from OOTP Developments it said "release" in the subject.

loving iOS game, not OOTP.

Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

Telex posted:

Got an email from OOTP Developments it said "release" in the subject.

loving iOS game, not OOTP.

Goddamnit.

Yeah, Markus hasn't even started beta testing of OOTP 12 yet because of this iOOTP crap.

And yet he's still aiming for a release by the end of May. :psyduck:

• Locked thread