Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
OOTP 11 is only 5 dollars on Amazon Video Game Downloads. You should get it if you don't have it yet.

Edit: But I guess you cannot patch it for some reason. Might have issues with it, but it might be worth a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I've played two separate games of OOTP11, one with the Pirate and one with the Orioles. The Pirates one went for 20 years and I'm in the sixth year of the Orioles. Without fail, in both games, Pable Sandoval becomes a god at hitting, and it frustrates me and makes me irrationally upset. His career line is always like .370/.460/.600 and I get upset looking at it.

Also, is there a way to sim the game from like 1900 onwards without being in control of a team. I tried to do it before but had to take control of a team and was fired and hired and got messages that interrupted the game. I just want to run it and see what hilarious stuff happens.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Allyn posted:

OOTP12 is just :20bux: until Oct 27th to celebrate the World Series. Welp, wasn't planning to buy it but I can't resist now

Ya, I'm in the same boat. Just got that email.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Any advice to make the game more difficult to play? In 11, I won like 12 of 15 WS with the Pirates at normal and I just won 3 straight with Baltimore after 3 years of suck. I just bought 12 because 20 bucks why not, but it seems to have the same terribly trade system where I can get prospects for bullshit. I traded Bill Hall and Wandy Rodriguez for every prospect in CWS with more than 20 potential. It's just not hard after a few seasons.

Also, if there is still an online league, I'd be down to play. Goons are smarter than computers.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
So that league is OOTP11, yes?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Mornacale posted:

Yeah.

e: The Reds are also available, but then you have to deal with the juggernaut Pittsburgh Pirates.

I'll do it.

Give me the reds, how do I do this.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I guess I'd take Colorado.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
That redesigned interface is ugly and really busy.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Ellaybee posted:

I find reading alternate history/long-term sim results such as Moe_Rahn's and Armitage's very interesting, and just wanted to take a second to say thanks.

Ya, I don't know why it's interesting but it really is so if people want to keep posting these, I will keep reading them.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Ya I'm playing a game right now as the Astros and it's so fun to see Dustin Ackley and Jesus Montero taking my team to the WS.

Also the KC Royals moved to Indy in 2012. Now they are the Indianapolis Flies.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I wish I could choose who went to the hall of fame instead of giving the ai some weird parameters for choosing who goes in. Moises Alou should not go in the hall every single time I play.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

Retail Slave posted:

I have OOTP 11, but I can't justify spending $40 bucks on '13 right now. Although I do like some of the features it's promising.

Agreed, but I have 12. I wish there was like an upgrade edition where if you have the previous year you could get the new one at a discount. I would definitely buy 13 if it was 25 or something near that but 40 is really steep. I always wait until the WS when it drops down to 20 bucks and he's done with updates.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I wish you all were saying it sucks because now I just want to buy it but I'm not going to.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I bought the new ootp the other day and have been playing. Played a ton of 11 and 12, and this one's not too different, but I still have some issues.

I played 11 and 12 on normal difficulty for trading and could completely game it to the point where I won every world series. Playing on hard trading difficulty is so completely different that it really sucks to play sometimes. It is impossible to trade away anybody signed to a contract worth more than a couple million if they are an average or slightly above average player. I have a 58/68 catcher who is 28 making 5 million this year and 6.5 next year and he's been worth 3 WAR two years ago and 2 this past year and literally no team will trade for him. I am willing to dump him for salary relief and a prospect and it won't work.

And this is happening with multiple players. I just hate the fact that signing young above average players sucks as a human player. I never sign free agents because of the high costs, but it's at the point where I can't even sign my own players because I can never trade them away. Really frustrating.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
ootp 14 is 20 dollars as a world series special.

I've bought the last three years ootp's at 20 around this time each year, it's the only way I purchase the game.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

IMB posted:

Is there a secret to not getting overwhelmed with minutiae in OOTP? Ive bought like three versions of them and then barely touched them because I get bogged down in all the different options and never play it again. IT SEEMS SO COOL I WANT TO BE ABLE TO DO IT

The secret is to figure out what you actually want to do, and then only do that. Don't worry about dealing with the minutiae if you don't want to.

For me, I play the gm and for coaching i only set batting order. I let the ai organize the minor leagues so I only worry about the majors, set lineups, sim game by game, and make adjustments to my roster and lineup as I see fit. I don't really bother setting player tendencies or team tendencies, I worry about the players I get.

But ya, I also sign players to contracts, coaches to contracts, make trades, do the draft and other stuff. I don't think it's too tough to do, but the first season is always the longest, since you have to pretty much jump right in. Once you've gotten past the first season, it all becomes a little bit easier since you'll have a better understanding of what you want to do and what you don't want to do.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

tadashi posted:

Orix Buffaloes (NPB) have signed Yuni Betancourt in real life. I was way ahead of them:

http://mlb-pro.com/lgreports/players/player_16335.html

I always think it's funny when life imitates OOTP.

I'm super pumped for the kansas city royals to move to indy and become the jaguars.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

John Wilkes Booth posted:

Twice now my starting ace has been pulled in the first inning in simmed games after giving up 1 hit. The guy's well on his way to winning the Cy Young so I don't understand what's going on here. Anyone have any ideas?

Check box score to see if he was hurt or if there was a rain delay. Game is pretty quick to pull pitchers after rain delays.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
I play with scouting because it's kind of fun for their to be some randomness.

Also, I would just like to say that OOTP is the best, and I'm terrified to get 15 on steam because I really don't want to know how much time I've spent on the game.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

bewbies posted:

My manager won't use any of my great OBP guys in leadoff, should I just remove the option to play Mr Beck at all? I'm starting to think trade...

Are you opposed to setting lineups yourself at all?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
No you're pretty much right. High obp guy 1st, best overall hitter 2nd, next best at 4th, and pretty much whatever from there. 3rd hitter could be high power low obp since they will have the most at bats without any runners on. Lineup construction isn't that big of a deal, but yes, that dude of yours should be batting way lower while your ss should be batting either first or second.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

chaoslord posted:

The All Star game sale is here. 50% off through July 16th. I think it's time for me to upgrade, then.

Ya that's pretty much what I do with each game. I usually wait until the world series sale but I might have to get it now. 20 always seemed like a good price for the game.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Hey everybody it's the best time of the year, when OOTP is 50 percent off because of the world series. I've bought each of the last four versions at this time of the year and I'm going to continue doing it now.

Buy this game!!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

oldskool posted:

In my OOTP experience, strikeout pitching, solid defense and being quick on the basepaths plays well everywhere, in any era.

(I use the 20-80 scale for everything when playing so I don't know what the star comparison is if you play in stars)

I definitely agree with the strikeout pitching and solid defense. I think having a great bullpen is also really important because it allows you to use high ability/low stamina starting pitchers much more easily. I love using starting pitchers with 40 stamina but great stuff/pitches since I'm just maximizing the number of high quality innings i'm getting if I also have a great bullpen. And having a solid defense behind you makes all of your pitchers better. I try to not ever play somebody who has a defense below 50 as a starter but even if they're at 50 I definitely feel a touch worried. The bat has to be great.

Don't be afraid to platoon and give your back ups starts also. A fresher team performs better and if that means that some of your best players only start around 145 games a year, it should be a good thing overall since it will also protect them from injuries. Give people time off. Your prospects or younger players getting random starts can also lead them to performing well which, in ootp, is sometimes all the push they need to actually become a better player in the game. I've had that happen to me countless times, taking 21/30 players in AAA and giving them some starts due to injury, seeing them perform well, and then watching their ratings for next season or the rest of the season go up to 25/40. Playing time really is key.

Invest highly in scouting, development, and your staff. It pays off. I visit the free agents pretty often and try to find players below age 26 or so with ratings of 20/25 or above. Lots of players who are just bad and never make it to the majors but it fills up your minors and sometimes you get lucky and hit on somebody and all it took was a minor league contract. Nothing hurt at all. I feel like having a stocked minor league system is good to allow your top prospects to not have to play at a higher minor league level than they need to if you are lacking at their position in the higher level systems.

Also don't feel bad about trading away established players if you have a slightly worse off player who is younger behind them. Better to trade away a player a year early than a year too late.

One of the things I also do that helps is periodically remind myself of what players I have on the team that I really am ok with letting go of. Sometimes thinking about what you would or could change will help convince you of players you really can trade for talent at other positions.

Value players who can play multiple positions well defensively, even if they have a weaker bat. Let's you cover so much ground when somebody gets injured so you can put your best possible bench players into a starting position. I also don't really care about first basemen. Don't overpay for one and you can let basically anybody with a huge bat put in half assed time there. I like having two good catchers so I can let them also play first base to rest their legs and let them get more at bats while still catching.

This is a lot of weird dumb stuff I do. I've been playing way too much of this game recently yall. First ootp I ever bought at launch after buying the last 6 seasons during the world series and dang I've played a lot. I always choose the team with the first overall pick in the upcoming season and just try to build a dynasty so now I'm on the year 2040 with the dbacks. It's the best, I love this game. It's so good to play for so long and build a history that attaches itself to the already established history. I know too many great players by name that only exist inside the game. Kris Bryant, puig, machado, stanton, and jose fernandez have basically been the best current mlb players to have played since then. Some other dudes have surpassed them and one dude has a top 8 war of all time which is insane.

But ya ootp is a drug

uggy fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 30, 2015

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
It's not that overwhelming to me but I have been playing for years. I can roll through a season in no time and I go day by day. Let the computer handle the minors and I do everything else. Having a good trainer makes you deal with injuries and the minors less!

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you

bewbies posted:

Also in this game Mike Trout has managed to stay pretty much healthy and productive into his 30s and he's approaching Ruthian career levels, which I've also never seen.

Lol this poo poo is always amazing. I've never had Mike Trout have a better year in OOTP than any of his real previous years.

Just like how Pablo Sandoval was the greatest player ever in like ootp 13/14/15 whenever really.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Is the hockey one good?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Is there a way to reset historical stats when starting a game or to choose a period of time to reset them?

I want to start a new modern game and would enjoy erasing stats from pre expansion. Wanna give new players opportunities to get historical numbers.

Would the easiest thing be like starting from the year I want to start from and simming until when I want to start and then taking over from there?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Difference in skill rating and “star rating” definitely comes down to position and scout. I’ve always found players like that to be scouting traps - sometimes you trade for a dude like that, especially at that age, and he matches the skills. But sometimes it’s just your scout or the position. Or age!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Don't make me judge you
Ootp 19 is 20 on the steam summer sale FYI.

• Locked thread