Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Ok, this is why I love/hate BM

Started a new game in 1901, based around WiS legend Highball Wilson. So my first season we're terrible, 1902 I draft Eddie Cicotte 2nd overall, and he immediately gets a start directly out of high school.

First 8 innings: 0 hits, 1 walk, 3 errors. And then...this is the 9th inning. As he goes for a no hitter in his MLB debut at age 17.

the catcher error was also a bunt attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Uh.

Is BBM designed to randomly spawn a dude named "Haywood Jablomey," because I sure as hell didn't edit the player's name to that or add it to the name files?

Never noticed it but that owns, what year is it/where did he appear?

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ThatsMyBoye posted:

4th round draft pick. It's bizarre

+ Also when pictures don't match up with handedness/position it always bugs me.

nice he owns too

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

ManifunkDestiny posted:

In OOTP 12, is there any way to edit the MLB and, say, add 2 new teams and do an expansion draft in 2012? I tried making a custom league but I can't add teams or anything :(

Once you create the league you should be able to add expansion teams in the first preseason under the league options

I've never actually done this, so I have no idea how it works but the option is there!

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
OOTP 12 is awesome, but it still has a Baseball Mogul like love of totally weird poo poo going on

Bryce Harper, at age 25, coming off a season in which he put up a 1.100 OPS with 60 homers and a .370 batting average....signs with Boston for 3 years 10 million per year

And about 10 guys get career ending injuries per season

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

bewbies posted:

Haha wow he totally busted in my game. I'm using him as a 4th outfielder on a 500k contract.

Also the salaries are set in the game ("a great player salary will be around $XX"); default is $14m I think so that isn't totally ridiculous. It does suck though for the teams who have players who signed real life megabuck contracts.

I think being a Nationals fan in my reality would basically be the worst thing ever. Harper and Strasburg are on pace to be the best hitter and pitcher of the modern era, and they've signed with Boston and the Yankees respectively.

They didn't make the playoffs a single time before they left either

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Well my closer had a solid season

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

AlleyViper posted:

Not remotely as great as 2030.

Well you have to blame me for that, the manager not getting such a dominant pitcher more save chances??? Amazing I wasn't fired

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

tadashi posted:

Did you turn off all messages?

I like the idea in that thread of drafting for the computer every once in a while. Never thought of that before... What ends up happening in OOTP is you learn how the mechanics work and then you can just dominate your competition for decades on end. What you almost have to do is increase the trade difficulty and put limits on yourself if you want to keep the game interesting. You have to gauge the trades yourself and make sure you aren't raping some poor small market team if you run into some sort of unlikely trade.

I think it's a lot tougher to just dominate everyone in OOTP than BM, at least in OOTP I've actually had to trade away players for financial reasons and I can't just get every top prospect in the game for a washed up veteran and some cash. Most of the trades I get offered are also slanted in favor of the AI rather than ludicrously in my favor as well.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

gardenald posted:

Wait what?

The game has occasional 'family member died' events that have the player miss a few games. With my team it's always been a player's son though, which is certainly awfully grim for a sports sim

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

tadashi posted:

I've not seen that one (unless you pitcher is telling you he's going to free agency?). There is one where you offer a player what they want and then they decline the offer and turn around and demand exactly what you just offered them. And the cycle can continue endlessly.

The only one I get is when I offer a player fairly early in arbitration a long term deal, he often gives the 'that's a great deal let's sign' or whatever dialogue, but then the offer changes to a 1 year deal worth way more than he'd get in arbitration

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I used commish mode to make my long time (as in, played until he was 44) future hall of fame player the team's manager as soon as he retired. Then the very first thing that happens is I get an event talking about him opening up a microbrewery and bar near the stadium.

OOTP is really great

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

:stare:

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mornacale posted:

That's pretty awesome. Did his age in the game change?

Nothing happened during that season, and then my owner Barry Bonds died of old age which was when I decided to wrap up this save. I'm not sure if the game decided he was that age afterall, nothing happened but he was older, or if something would have changed if I kept playing.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Dimaggio who?

As long as stuff like this keeps happening I don't know how I'll ever quit playing

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Mornacale posted:

Kerry Wood 0.2 IP, 59 pitches, 33 strikes

Not the worst appearance in tha game.

e: Hahahaha, none of his 13 runs allowed were earned!

This is literally maximum Cubs.

Carlos Marmol error at third base

edit: also everyone on both teams having an insane deadball era amount of errors

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Daniel Fields being the top power hitter in the AL is the best part of that image

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I noticed when building an encyclopedia that a Dick Green of the 1969 Oakland Athletics had walked 242 times, 216 intentionally, for a batting line of .256/.545/.338

Does anyone know if I can find out who he was batting in front of? Not that there's literally anyone in the world it makes sense to walk him that many times for, not with a .338 SLG

This is from the earliest save I have in that game

Lineup protection is real...

I'm pretty sure I posted this before, but I was going through my old saves while trying to decide whether to buy OOTP13 (who am I kidding, I will) and this is still my favorite career

An entire decade at or below the Mendoza line? gently caress yes. Also the dingers. He's also 'disliked' because of a positive PED test, and he played third base (terribly) his entire career. MVP of our hearts

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
OOTP13 seems great so far, my only complaint is that all of the skins seem terrible compared to the default OOTP12 skin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
It's not exactly a large bug, but I always get so excited when my scout finds talent in North Korea, except every single time the player is actually Costa Rican

• Locked thread