Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
BBM made Joe Mays a star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

gardenald posted:

Single season home runs - Pat the Bat - 72

Aw :unsmith:

I need to run some sims again. I miss doing the 100-year stat dumps.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

$35, great, can't wait for it to be $50 in three years, with a $5 increase justified with every minor tweak they should have had a couple years ago.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

loving Joba

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

Options you can set:

Ohh they let you ghost your minors...that's an improvement over last year.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Johnson's 1987.

425 Ks in 287 IP. Holy poo poo.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Tiny Torso posted:

i see you and raise you:

2019 lmao

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Uh.

Is BBM designed to randomly spawn a dude named "Haywood Jablomey," because I sure as hell didn't edit the player's name to that or add it to the name files?

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

4th round draft pick. It's bizarre

+ Also when pictures don't match up with handedness/position it always bugs me.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

:)

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Does anyone have a link to Gyroball's LP BBM threads? I want to relive the fantasty!

Here's #1: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2679506&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Some of the image hosts are failing, and I think there was a pdf version made a year or so ago that has everything...not sure.

v That.

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 21, 2010

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

quote:

I'm finally making WAR (Wins Above Replacement) visible in Baseball Mogul 2012. I've been using WAR in Baseball Mogul since the very first version, as it is the only logically consistent way to evaluate a player in dollar terms. But I've kept it hidden because of differences between Mogul and other baseball analysts (primarily when calculating park factors and replacement levels, but also in calculating linear weights for each played era).

Now that I've taken a closer look at the math Mogul uses, and I feel pretty good about it, I expect to make several new stats available in Baseball Mogul 2012 (released in March 2011).

Unfortunately, unlike ERA and Batting Average, there is no consensus on what player evaluation stats are best, or even what to call them. Even within the same web site, things can get awfully confusing. For example, 'wOBA' at FanGraphs has a league average of about .350 (and has very little to do with 'On Base Average' per se). But 'wFB' at the same site measure runs prevented, and is on an entirely different scale (with a league average of zero).

So these are the stats I expect to include, but I'm still undecided as to what abbreviations to use and what format they should take:

1) Batting Runs. The number of runs created above the league average, using "linear weights", adjusted for the batter's stadium (or stadiums). Pete Palmer called this 'Batting Runs' in the 1980s. Baseball-reference calls it 'Runs Batting' and abbreviates it 'rBat'. FanGraphs calls this 'wRAA' (for 'weighted runs above average') when it isn't park adjusted. After park-adjusting wRAA, they just call it 'Batting'.

I'm tempted to just call this Batting Runs (BR) but Runs Above Average (RAA) is also a term that makes sense.

2) Fielding Runs. Similar to "Batting Runs". Measures runs saved on defense compared with the league average at that position. It is similar in magnitude and methodology to UZR and TZR (depending on available stats). So I'm tempted to just call it Zone Rating (ZR), although Fielding Runs (FR) would also make sense (although please note that it is a very different stat from the less accurate 'Fielding Runs' stat that Pete Palmer invented).

3) Pitching Runs. Runs prevented compared to a replacement-level pitcher. Many sites call this Runs Above Replacement (RAR) but I've also seen it called Runs Prevented (RP) and Pitching Runs (PR). Baseball Mogul adjusts this stat for park factors, although it appears that no one else bothers to do this (I'm not sure why).

4) Batting Wins Above Replacement. Abbreviated 'bWAR' or 'oWAR' or maybe just 'BW' (Batting Wins).

5) Defensive Wins Above Replacement. Abbreviated 'dWAR' or maybe just 'DW' (Defensive Wins) or 'FW' (Fielding Wins).

6) Pitching Wins Above Replacement. Abbreviated 'pWAR' or maybe just 'PW' (Pitching Wins).

7) Wins Above Replacement (WAR). The sum of Batting Wins, Fielding Wins and Pitching Wins.

So ... instead of posting 10 different polls, I figured I would just pose some questions in a thread and elicit some thoughtful responses.

Would you like to see the above stats added?
What names and abbreviations make the most sense?
Are there important stats that I'm missing?
Are there important variations that I'm missing (such as adding 'ZR/150' in addition to 'ZR')?

I do plan to make these stats available in the 'Sortable Stats' page.

How important is it to have some of these stats ALSO available in the Lineup, Defense and Pitching dialogs?
In the Scouting Report (for each season, and each team the player played with)?
In the HTML Encyclopedia?

Thanks for your help!

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Did they even add more delivery/swing animations? Or fix the annoying thing where the player picture for fictional dudes didn't always match their handedness?

Those always annoy me and are things I think should be improved for a $40 product.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Ah and now I see the very first season of a sim simulates individual games as slowly as if you were in the 100th season.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I say this because I never had slowness problems until about 2060 on BBM '10 (which, aside from a roster update and different color scheme, seems indistinguishable from the latest two versions), no matter what else I've got running at the time.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Uh

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

this is actually pretty accurate

e: the overall/peak...I didn't notice the hilarity of a 99 power

Check out his stats.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Also, two shutouts in things that apparently weren't complete games! I love glitches.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

:airquote:Steakhouse:airquote:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I...I don't know where it is...

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

SIKE. Owned. I found the old .mog (from 2008!), so it's just updated with higher res.

Notable:
  • 6 Cy Young Awards
  • 19 All-Star Games
  • 3 Gold Gloves
  • 15 Championships (most with the powerhouse Orioles)
  • Made approximately $192.8M across his contracts

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

AlleyViper posted:

Can't believe you didn't list the 380-59 career record

Third all-time in wins!

JoeMays.png is probably my most prized picture, thanks for giving me a reason to dig this out.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Everything about this post is why I love sim games.

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Ambiorix Burgos threw 318 IP with 950 strikeouts in 2009. This one's simming to 2020. More after it concludes.

+ Nevermind. It broke my game and I can't open other tabs in players cards. Just know that three players finished with more than 10,000 career strikeouts, including one with 21,000.

ThatsMyBoye fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Feb 12, 2012

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I like the league shift from 92-93, where a .007-point bump in OPS meant SIXTEEN FEWER points of OPS+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

Reminder that BBM is adding a whole bunch of neat stuff for the next edition - out in 2 days - including heat maps and physics-based balls in play.

http://thegamedesigner.blogspot.com/2012/03/baseball-mogul-2013-preview-heat-maps.html

• Locked thread