Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The first details of the new OOTP XI features have been outlines, and looks awesome :3: gonna be picking this year's up (I buy every other year's version, so didn't play last year's).

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-10-general-discussions/192604-little-out-park-baseball-11-update.html

quote:

- Partly redesigned user interface, making the game more accessible and fun to use. This does include mass-selection of players.
- Recoded fielding engine, making defense more realistic while introducing new fielding stats like Zone Rating, Individual Fielding Efficiency and Team Defence Efficiency.
- More advanced stats like wOBA (weighted on-base average), OPS+, ERA+ and FIP (fielding independent pitching)
- Recoded parts of player creation engine, introducing two-way players and also starting draft-elegible players off with higher overall ratings.
- Recoded parts of the player development system, handling two-way players and pitcher batting (pitchers no longer start out with fully developed hitting ratings) and resulting in even more realistic career curves.
- Recoded amateur draft with (optional) signing bonuses, player demands, slotting system, post-draft contract & bonus negotiations and compensation picks for unsigned picks (who will re-enter the draft a year later). Also when feeder leagues are used, undrafted/unsigned HS players may go to college.
- Improved historicals with recoded part-time player rating routines, new fielding ratings calculator and other fancy stuff, resulting in the most realistic and fun historical play experience ever.

Nice to see some more stats that've been much needed, though I woulda liked to see tRA too. And of course those defensive metrics are kinda lovely but considering the state of defensive metrics I'm sure it'll do. Even so, the big draft upgrades are awesome: sounds like it's coming very close to actually mirroring MLB in most of this front office stuff, which is nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

All of the stuff like that is held in the bottom left of the Edit Player screen (assuming you've got commissioner mode on - pretty sure you need it to create a player, anyway). You may need to scroll down a bit to find it, though, but all of height/weight/fastball speed (it bases the other pitches' speeds off of that automatically)/pitch quality/which pitches you have, etc etc, in that pretty length section.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

^^ It has official rosters, ratings and contract data apparently. Not got full minor league rosters, but:

quote:

The game will ship with the best roster set we have ever produced, with thousands of individually rated real players, updated statistics, and realistic contract data! All of last year's top draft picks will be in the game as well. So, want to take Stephen Strasburg and see if you can get the Nationals to the playoffs? Have at it!

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0062/

Also, comes out today (as it is now for me) for those who pre-ordered :D

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

AlleyViper posted:

What's player progression like in OOTP? If a guy is a big time prospect is he going to pan out every time or are there a decent number of flops?

Player quality can fluctuate a LOT, frankly. I haven't gotten too far in to any games in OOTP 11, but back in 09 I remember drafting a second baseman: speedy guy, great defense, would hit for average and had decent gap power. 5 star prospect. Dude never made it out of AA, and was a total scrub.

quote:

Will a player's performance actually impact whether or not he'll improve?

Yep: players will oftentimes come outta nowhere in the minors, suddenly start tearing it up and became ML-quality guys. Other times, guys will do alright in the minors, then hit the majors and just start playing better, and become established stars. That's pretty rare, though, as it is in real life.

quote:

Can I take a guy as a project and make him into something better than he otherwise would have become?

Not really; it's the only thing that particularly frustrates me about OOTP: how a player develops seems totally out of my hands. I guess that's pretty realistic for a GM, though.

Scouting is REALLY tough in OOTP. Scouts will often have wildly differing opinions on just about every player, and it's near-impossible to tell how accurate your scout is. I generally turn it off, I admit :shobon:

I did a 30-year sim of a game, just to see how it handles things, and, well judge for yourself:

(Leaving all the images out as they're pretty big...)

https://wi.somethingawful.com/c9/c9964a6bef83cf3f2affafcb9128ff3116b0268c.png
Pedro Torres, 5th round pick (170th overall). Currently 4th all-time for HRs, just 19 shy of Babe Ruth (and he's not yet retired). He's also 11th all-time for steals. Really close to a fictional Barry Bonds, ultimately. Looks like a bizarre minor league career: sucked, great, good, bad, then promoted to the majors.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/b0/b0592d46464505b46654877678f3c1756058153b.png
Mathew Sanderson, 34th overall pick. Highest career batting average of any fictional player (.332), and still playing. Had a really bad first year in the minors, but developed steadily very well from there on out.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/ad/adac8a11e455e421369bb0d36837cd14df02d5a2.png
Edgar Artega, 1st supplemental round pick (52nd overall). Considering how low relievers usually go in OOTP drafts, it's no wonder this guy ended up being crazy good: #1 on the all-time saves list, and the highest fictional player for career ERA (2.41!). Had a shoddy minor league career until he hit A, and just kept getting better. Not yet retired, but hasn't pitched for three years, and is 42.

https://wi.somethingawful.com/bb/bb455c8bfdbfec4e1184abebdaa73e4a299140a7.png
David Paul, 4th overall pick. Second best VORP (note: only counts VORP from the first season in game, i.e. 2010) of any pitcher (also note: guy in first is a real guy, which isn't quite as useful, I don't think...).

The one thing they have really improved is fielding degradation. Tulo went from being the defensive stud we know he is, played elite defense at SS until 2020 when things started going downhill (age 36... probably a bit late for realism, but hey, Jeter's doing okay there nowadays right? :shobon: still, an elite guy probably CAN stick there longer than a regular guy), and suddenly had to get moved to 2B and 1B (:pwn:) from there on out to be worth playing. By the time he retired he's listed as having no playing talent at SS at all. Which is great to see.

No idea how much you can really gleam from any/all of that... but it does give a bit of insight, anyway. Can't really find first round busts, unfortunately (no historical draft logs, only previous years, as far as I can find :argh:), but rest assured they do happen. Often. Any other screenshots you want, just shout.

e: hey I was beaten, but who knows maybe mine'll still be of a little help :shobon:

AlleyViper posted:

b.) My most recent BBM season I did an expansion draft Rockies game. Leo Gomez became my starter at third base in my second year and, as a guy who was mid-70s overall, went for 30+ bombs and a ~.900 OPS. Since he's loving Leo Gomez, though, he regressed following the year.

This isn't entirely a bad thing since I like when random fluke years like that happen. But he endeared himself to me because he's loving Leo Gomez and so I would have loved to have some control in trying to help him maintain that rate of performance. Does OOTP allow for that in any way?

Can't answer a), but for b):
It's pretty random, but I would say the vast majority of the time, if a guy has a breakout year he won't be awful the year after. He may not reach the same heights, but he'll still put up decent numbers. Sometimes they'll repeat; sometimes they'll do badly, but then have another great year after that. Things fluctuate a LOT. You can tone all that down, though, if you really want.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 24, 2010

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Hot on the heels of Mogul is OOTP12's announcement:

OOTP posted:

Lineup Improvements in OOTP 12

PC Gamer called OOTP 11 "a no-doubt, walk-off home run no-brainer to become a part of your game collection," and OOTP 12 is no different. Our All-Star lineup of features gets better every year, and we've again improved many of them during this off-season. We're not done yet, so stay tuned to future newsletters.

2011 Major League Rosters

Here's a treat: the best roster set we've ever produced, from the big leagues' top stars to the guys making their debuts in rookie leagues. All players are individually rated with updated statistics and realistic contract data. Last year's top draft picks are included too. Could Bryce Harper and Stephen Strasburg, with the veteran leadership of newly-acquired All-Star Jayson Werth, help propel the Washington Nationals to the top of the National League East in coming seasons?

Revamped Financial System

The Philadelphia Phillies shook the baseball world this winter when they signed top-flight free agent pitcher Cliff Lee, despite expectations that he would opt for the highest bidder. Now you can do the same with OOTP's improved player contract negotiations, which are more realistic and fun. You can even try to talk your owner into expanding the available budget, letting you squeeze in another All-Star contract. Don't forget to stay on top of the latest free agent signings and other news in the new off-season center, and keep your finger on the pulse of your team's finances with an improved view.

Contract possibilities are now more realistic, including vesting options, buyouts, minor league split contracts, signing bonuses and more performance bonus options. You can even now include remaining contract payments as an option in trades with AI-controlled GMs.

Online Leagues

We're proud to support Official OOTP Online Leagues with a full-featured interface inside OOTP 12. With just one click, you can join a team, and creating a league is just as easy. Commissioners can make their leagues public and advertise open teams, with the ability to accept or deny requests from would-be GMs.

Official OOTP Online Leagues offer several key advantages:

* League files are patches rather than full-size files, saving plenty of up- and download time.
* Reports can be saved in MySQL databases, increasing their upload speed.
* Forget about FTP: team data exports and imports work through the database. That results in improved compatibility and security for the league web site server.
* An export tracker.
* The promise of more great features to come, including online drafts and trades.

Greater Immersion and Realism

Historical leagues benefit from improved AI and real life transactions and as-played lineups as optional features. Thanks to OOTP's sophisticated game engine, you'll be able to enjoy the most realistic historical simulation results possible. How would the 1927 Yankees fare against their 1961 counterparts?

In addition, storylines have been expanded, and there are new ways to interact with your players. News presentations have also been revamped, making you feel like you're part of the hectic 24-hour "better stay on top of this" news cycle that dominates today's sports reporting.
In-Game and Core Engine Changes

Like a manager constantly seeking ways to get the most out of his lineup, we're always tinkering under OOTP's hood. Here's what you can look forward to this year:

* Recoded parts of the in-game AI, making it the most challenging ever in an OOTP game.
* Improved in-game sound, adding better quality sound files and more variation.
* Improved player evaluation AI, resulting in more realistic AI roster moves.
* Recoded parts of the trading AI.
* Recoded parts of the scouting engine.
* Improved injury and recovery system.
* Added WAR (Wins Above Replacement) as a statistic.
* Added a playoff roster for more realistic team transactions.
* Greatly enhanced the world database structure, resulting in more realistic fictional league and player creation.
* Added a simulation module, allowing you to match up two teams from the same league for a set number of games and see the simulation results. This is great for research purposes or just for toying around. For example, how would the 1927 Yankees fare against the 2004 Red Sox?

But that's not all - the feature list is not final yet and will include even more great additions before the game is released.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

OOTP12 is just :20bux: until Oct 27th to celebrate the World Series. Welp, wasn't planning to buy it but I can't resist now

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Love Abdul bin Sajid's nickname :allears:

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

There's also a tickbox for "Enable incomplete minor league rosters" somewhere under those same options. Can't remember exactly which menu, though, off the top of my head

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

OOTP is doing their yearly World Series sale: $20 for OOTP13. http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/out-of-the-park-baseball/index.php

Wasn't planning on buying it but this sale always suckers me in, ha

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

OOTP14 is one whole dollar at Humble for the week: https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Apparently I forgot to mention in my post, but remember that OOTP14 is not the latest version (that's 15). But still, it's a dollar, so you can't really go wrong even if it is an old version :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Can someone with OOTP17 do me a quick favour? My hard drive hosed up because of some bad blocks while I was playing yesterday. Had to hard reset. Once I'd sorted everything out I loaded OOTP back up and now my Manager's Office screen has Your Next Game as each of the 15 squares. Verifying game integrity didn't sort it out. Any chance someone could quickly take a screenshot of the default setup so I can fix it manually? Cheers

• Locked thread