Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
This is probably a real dumb question but in OOTP11 is there some way to use the Major League template and also import historical players? I'm trying to start a game in 2005, and I'd like to have real minor leagues without the horrid work of redoing all of them from scratch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

OKCecil posted:

There's now an opening for the Mets in the previously mentioned OOTP league.

I am also in that league and it's fun so join ok

What kind of a time commitment is it? How newbie-friendly is the league?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

LtGen Chesty Puller posted:

That's debatable. :v:

Yeah, Mornacle, its a really fun league who is open to new guys. The core of owners has been doing OOTP leagues since 2002. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll get you set up.

(I won 102 games last season with the Pirates led by Pedro and Neil!)

I never realized until just this moment that you were Toona. :aaaaa:

As for the league, as I just told DKC on chat, I think I'm going to hold off for now. I'm finishing up my thesis and allowing myself to add distractions is a good way to not graduate. After I graduate (knock on wood) in a few weeks, though, I'm definitely interested.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

LtGen Chesty Puller posted:

I'll hold the team open. No problem. :)

Feel free to give it up if someone else wants it. I can get used to the game as I lie in wait.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Scrotos posted:

Hey Buane and Toona my work just blew up in my face, I think I just lost pretty much all my free time. So if you want to find others for my teams, I am cool with that.

If you want (and it's possible to do), I'd be willing to be some sort of temporary co-GM with you in Toona's league. Then we could potentially both play without taking too much time for your work and my thesis, and when you have a lighter load I could hopefully take over another team. And then I'll trade you Adrian Gonzalez for a bunch of scrubs!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Scrotos, I've been trying to catch you on AIM to discuss the team. Is there some other good way to get in touch with you?

Also, Toona (or someone who knows the game), could you tell us if co-GMing a team is possible or not.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
It makes me mad that iOOTP is just some stupid mini-OOTP when they could instead make an app that lets you control your regular OOTP franchise remotely.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

tadashi posted:

I just hope next time around they will cater some of their development to the online league players since that is a pretty big part of their users. There is no incentive for us to to buy a new game if it doesn't fix the issues that have plagued online leagues for a while.

Sorry, next time around we'll be getting iOOTP2: Tablet Edition

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

con posted:

If you go to Manager Options you can set you minor league lineups/depth charts and personnel decisions to auto or something and the CPU will manage it for you so you can concentrate on the ML team.

Warning, you still have to do rather a lot of work unless you want to later learn that your prize prospect has been sitting on the bench.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

stuart scott irl posted:

(I was thinking randomly assigned teams instead of the usual lame dibs system).

Seems to me that you either ought to randomize only when there's a conflict, or start the league with a fantasy draft (and relax/abolish real-life financial restrictions). Even just having the computer fantasy-draft players to fill all the teams would be reasonable.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'd volunteer (if I had the game) to lose a zillion games as the Pirates, but it would be horrible to get randomly stuck with the Astros (or for a non-Bucs fan to have to play as the Pirates when I would have taken them).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Marquis de Pyro posted:

:stare:

That's pretty awesome. Did his age in the game change?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Ugh, this league continues to tempt me. What's the time commitment like? If it's not too bad, I might be interested in running the Yankees or Rockies into the ground.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Eh, gently caress it. Give me the Rockies or Yankees, whichever team you'd rather see lose more (or that someone else doesn't want).

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Toona the Cat posted:

Take the Yankees. You'll have to register at our league's forum - http://forums.simcentral.net. When the admin approves your account, you'll be able to post. I'll get you an updated file shortly.

Alright. I'm visiting MY GIRLFRIEND over the weekend, so I may not be able to do much til Monday anyhow.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Wow, my starting pitching...really is...something. It sure is.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Not really.

It was the 26 World Series rings.

(Am I doing this right?)

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Having to sit and watch my Yankees draft old slot OFs while I wait for my account to get accepted is p frustrating.

e: Toona, how does free agency work in this league? Will it ever tell you if you've made an offer the player prefers? I just tested it out by offering someone a 10/500 contract and it says they still prefer the Mariners. Without feedback, does that mean it's just a first-place sealed-bid auction?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 25, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Toona the Cat posted:

You don't get feedback until I advance in the game and you download the updated file.

EDIT: I hope you didn't export with that offer. :v:

Not unless downloading the new league file automatically exports for you.

e: gently caress, Latos got signed? Well, I'm in deep poo poo now.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
It's the fact that Adam Dunn stole 12 bases.

e: Whoa, Dunn actually stole 19 bags in 2002 holy poo poo.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Toona the Cat posted:

Your account at SC was finished. :)

Yessss, time to officially enter panic mode and make some terrible trades.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Hey CraigK, join the fuckin OOTP league. Then make a bad trade with Toona. It's p funny.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Kerry Wood 0.2 IP, 59 pitches, 33 strikes

Not the worst appearance in tha game.

e: Hahahaha, none of his 13 runs allowed were earned!

This is literally maximum Cubs.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 6, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Carlos Marmol error at third base

Should've swapped him with Wood when the meltdown started.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
The power of Altuve.

e: I forget. Is there some sort of magic you can do in OOTP to keep your minor league managers from just completely ignoring the positions you tell them to start players at?

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 7, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Toona the Cat posted:

Right click on a player, player strategies, force start at position.

Yeah, my problem is my minor league managers don't seem to give any fucks. I've got a dude in rookie ball I set to force as a starter and he now has 4 appearances in relief and 0 starts.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Telex posted:

Have you released all the starters that you never want to actually start?

I've found you really, really, really have to cull the minor leagues on a regular basis manually, because otherwise you will end up with a 31-year old AAA starter who has just kept going long after he's reached uselessness. Force AAA starters to be relievers if they're not ML quality after say 27. Chances are they're a lifer if they're not ML quality.

Only keep 5 starters at each minor league level, or rather keep a quantity that equals 5 per level per minor league affiliate. Too many and some weird CPU math screws things up, your guys don't end up progressing and it ruins your minor leagues.

Yeah, it was completely bizarre. Another good one is that I just found that my rookie-league 3B (forced start at 3B) wasn't getting any play time. Well, who's playing third? Oh, it's my rookie-league SS (forced start at SS). But then...who the gently caress is starting at short?! Naturally it's my top prospect, a right fielder; I checked and all his infield skills are 1. And yes, he's forced start at RF.
:negative:

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

uggy posted:

Any advice to make the game more difficult to play? In 11, I won like 12 of 15 WS with the Pirates at normal and I just won 3 straight with Baltimore after 3 years of suck. I just bought 12 because 20 bucks why not, but it seems to have the same terribly trade system where I can get prospects for bullshit. I traded Bill Hall and Wandy Rodriguez for every prospect in CWS with more than 20 potential. It's just not hard after a few seasons.

Also, if there is still an online league, I'd be down to play. Goons are smarter than computers.

Unless I've missed something, Toona's league still has several AI teams, though only one of them (the Tigers) is particularly good. I'm still new, so I can't speak for the league, but it seems like we could really use someone in the NL West to compete with the D-backs: both the Rockies and Dodgers are open, and the AI is mismanaging them pretty bad.

Anyway, it's a fun league and you should join. You can even give me poo poo for being the Yankees and constantly being like "what, it's just a few million dollars, who gives a gently caress?" :v:

Also, is the upgrade from OOTP11 to 12 worth :20bux:?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

uggy posted:

So that league is OOTP11, yes?

Yeah.

e: The Reds are also available, but then you have to deal with the juggernaut Pittsburgh Pirates.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 18, 2011

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I'll trade you some True Yankees and cash for your first-round pick in 2018!!!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Tadashi how does it feel to do all that and still be unable to surmount the New York Yankees Baseball Dynasty? :smug:

e: This post gonna get quoted back at me on Monday.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

jetgrindeggy posted:

Okay in my game the Mets signed Heath Bell, Papelbon, and K-Rod all within a span of about two weeks. What is one team going to do with three closers?

Be really hard to beat if they take a lead into the 7th?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Telex posted:

wow, who's the fuckhead who absolutely decimated St. Louis?

I mean wow, 57 million in one season for Evan Longoria? Really?

Whoever you are, you are bad at OOTP. :(

Money is really loving dumb in the league. P much everyone has tens of millions just laying around that we can't spend and can't carry over to the next season.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Oh, btw, I'm not going to be working 12-14 hours a day any longer, so watch your back Tadashi. The Yankees Baseball Dynasty is coming. :hist101:

No they're not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

GaussianCopula posted:

Just hit randomize team names a few times, you might be lucky. Really try it!

Am I mistaken, or does this still leave you needing to manually fix logos and unis etc.

• Locked thread