Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I love you and your random name generation, Baseball Mogul.

Playin' baseball to pay for law school :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
:psyduck:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

DONT READ THIS POST posted:

Way to stack your team, jerk.

Yeah, and only with a payroll of $300,000,000.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Telex posted:

my scout just found a 15 year old kid in venezuela with 5-star potential and I signed him to a minor league deal.

Is that poo poo even legal?

seriously though, how will that guy not break every batting record if my scout didn't just go down to Venezuela and smoke a LOT of drugs or something...

Look at a real-life scouting report on a toolsy 16-year-old; Michael Ynoa was supposed to be blowing away major leaguers at this point.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
What all's changed between OOTP 11 and 12? Anything good? The pictures don't look that much different.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 29, 2011

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

bewbies posted:

lol

Also last year the NL started using a DH.

I like the random changes thing.

I can't keep teams from moving to or expanding into places that make no goddamn sense, like Jacksonville, San Antonio, or Indianapolis, so I just turned off expansion and relocation.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Of course, I've manually put 5 teams in Canada, which makes more sense :canada:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Didn't know they had a league for OOTP 11.

Kinda want in. Dodgers, Rockies, and Tigers all still open?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Is Randy Johnson Jr. with his wife or the mistress he impregnated?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Ha, 2017's home run champ is from my college.

Though you hosed up Andy Wilkins's birthdate.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
^^^my favorite part is the seven career CGs.

OOTP is way more conservative than BBM in regards to turning random #3-#4 starters in real life into Cy Young. One thing I don't like about it.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Made me dig out my old copy to see how it's going, and two things popped out:

1) BBM has a universal pro-Baltimore bias:

2) It simmed from 1901 to 2022 and the oldest player in the league is a 47-year-old Miguel Ojeda. (lookit that 2001 line)

His career statistics:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Kal Daniels was a really, really good athlete whose knees sabotaged him; if you're playing with ratings based on historical stats it's not surprising he becomes a monster so often.

That's before the first of many knee injuries.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, I've tried to go into rebuilding mode for it, and every time I don't have the patience and instead I run out a Felix Hernandez/Brett Anderson/Justin Verlander/Jered Weaver rotation with a Bryce Harper/Albert Pujols/Dustin Ackley middle of the order and win 130 games every season.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I owned most of them during their arb-years and couldn't afford them once they hit FA :ssh:

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Or fantasy draft, which seems to ignore most 18-20 year old prospects for the most part in the first couple of rounds in favor of good young major leaguers.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 6, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, there was no trading involved, more exploiting the game's blind spot for 5- star players with no major league experience when drafting. I mean, that's cheesing it, too, but not quite "Here's Chad Tracy, give me Harper and Strasburg".

e: even then, you're going to suck really hard for a few years while your top prospects fulfill their potential.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 7, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I like writing stories for odd games. Here's one:

me posted:

Anything can happen in baseball. Last night, and this afternoon, it did happen.

Going into the ninth inning tonight, the Gladiators were looking to avoid being no-hit. Luckily for them, while their opponent's hit column wasn't clean, their run column was, and, despite having zero hits tallied, they pushed the Dodgers into what would become one of the most improbable games in history While they got their first hit, a double into the left field power alley, at 8:17 PM off the bat of Ramirez, it would take another seventeen innings, making this the longest baseball game in history, surpassing the Oeschger-Cadore 26-inning double-shutout tie between the Braves and Dodgers in 1920.

There were shockingly few hits in this game; Fresno was just 6 for 89 in this game, and yet had a better day at the plate than the 5 for 86 Dodgers. The game started at 7:05 PM, and was played until Comissioner Bob Costas called and said that the game would be postponed at 3:00 AM PST, in the twenty-second inning, and resumed the day after at 3:05 PST. The Gladiators threw 369 pitches and the Dodgers threw 348.

The 442 fans that had stayed for the full 22 innings before postponement were each given a 10-game set of tickets, a T-shirt commemorating the event, and a $40 gift card to the Dodger Stadium Food Court as a prize for staying the whole night. "Man, I just got here after a long day at work, and I expected to be home by 10:30. Guess I was wrong, huh? The stuff they gave me was pretty cool, though." said Jason Aramillo, longtime Dodger fan.

There were threats before the run scored; in the 21st, Javy Hernandez pitched a leadoff walk to Camacho. After, Montoya reached on an error and Kemp hit an infield single to load the bases. "Man, I thought it was OVER then", Mike Ramirez was quoted as saying. "I was getting my [stuff] out the dugout and getting ready to go home. Then [Hernandez] got the cluchest K I ever saw, and then Coach put in Cuyl, and he slammed the door."

After the 23rd, the Comissioner stepped in and postponed the completion of the game for the health of all involved. The game resumed the following day; all ticket stubs from the previous game were accepted.

After the third out of the 26th, a faint mock cheer could be heard as the scoreboard noted that that officially made the game the longest in history.

Immediately after that, Kelly, in the game playing 3rd base due to the starting third baseman pulled a muscle in the fifteenth inning, drew a leadoff seven pitch walk. "Man, I was roaring to end that game. I'd got on via walk a couple times before and I was just straight stealing. I didn't care about injury at the time, I wanted the game over bad. I'd stolen second, twice, I think? [ed. note: he had stolen second and third in the 22nd] Anyway, I was straight small-ballin' up that [stuff]. I told the coach to do hit-and-runs, squeezes, all that. It didn't work out the first couple times we did it, but that time in the 27th it worked perfectly." And it did. After the walk, he stole second, Montero put on the hit and run, and Harper hit the fly ball that drove him in to a mob of teammates.

"I had told coach that if I was responsible for the run scoring that he'd put me in to close it out, and he did", Kelly said with a grin on his face. Despite the crafty lefty already throwing 15 innings and 152 pitches the night before, he was brought back in to finish the 27th. He showed signs of fatigue, walking Carbajal and Salinas, but a soft fly out Camacho after a nine-pitch at bat ended it.

Kelly, on being asked what he was planning to do after the game: "Sleep until Friday."

Eh, better than Plashcke, at a minimum.

Sadly, my game crashed, as it is wont to do, so no boxscore.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
:stonk:

What in God's green earth is your injury frequency set to?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'll start up a sim starting in 2011, and let it sim for a looooong time (once I ran it out to the year 2500), but few records will fall; like Bonds stays that season and career home run leader, Pete Rose stays hit leader, Nolan Ryan with strikeouts, etc. What am I doing wrong?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Drafted a starter first overall and he immediately blew his arm out in his first major league start two weeks after signing a deal.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Mar 6, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Is OOTP13 going to have the new playoff format in? You can't do that bullshit "two wildcards play a one-game playoff in 12, I believe.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Yeah, Rule #1 is to immediately bump the injury rate to Low or Very Low, because setting it to "realistic modern day" settings means that 60% of your rotation and 80% of your lineup's going to be injured at the end of the season

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
I think I've figured out what I want OOTP to do in regards to prospects: instead of having maybe one five star prospect, two 4.5 star prospects, a smattering of 2-and-3-star prospects and the rest one-stars in each draft and have almost all of them hit their potential ratings, I want the game to generate a big pile of five-star and four-star prospects and have most of them fail to meet their potential and become 1-, 2-, or 3-star prospects. Is there any way to do this?

e: and also to make the draft class not be 90% middle relievers, almost nobody drafted is a reliever in high-school or college

CraigK fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 9, 2012

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Wow. Baseball Mogul looks cool this year. Might have to get it.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Telex posted:

goddamn.

bit the bullet, got the OOTP13 even though Diablo 3 is coming out soon enough that i'm basically playing this game for 2 weeks and maybe not again until July or August.

I start up a new game, and here's my first 2 weeks of the major league season

what the gently caress OOTP.

seriously.

what the gently caress.

Oh and Berkman wants 20 mil to stick around past this year.

I'm loving trading everyone. Everyone. All of them.

If you don't immediately set the injury rate to low or very low, you'll have 2/3rds of your starting lineup and 80% of your rotation on the 60-day DL by mid-June, the injury rate is set waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too high on "Normal".

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
e: wrong forum

CraigK fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 27, 2013

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

RalphTheWonderLlama posted:

No kidding. In my first stab at it I'm partway through May and Kuroda has been hurt three times, Rivera and Robertson are done for the year, and I don't even recognize the outfield anymore.

On the plus side I got some GREAT offers early in the season for Nunez.

Yeah, Felix Hernandez has blown out something in his shoulder five times in my file so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
OOTP has to have some sort of rubber band AI in it; it really shouldn't take a 120-win team fifteen tries to beat an 84-win team in a five game playoff.

• Locked thread