Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any tips for developing an expansion team in OOTP 17?

Somewhat related, I saw this on the official OOTP forum and it intrigued me, although I'd probably select the Twins instead of the Astros

quote:

How I play, almost exclusively.
1) Sim through first season of an MLB Quickstart
2) Release all players/coaches on Astros & Marlins (cause I just don't care for those teams, sorry)
3) Expand league by 2, one in each league
4) Remove Houston & Miami from the game
5) Remove all minor league teams created for my expansion teams
6) Assign the unaffiliated minor league teams left from removing Miami and Houston to my expansion teams
7) Customize playoffs (this will get auto changed when you expand, and you have to reset it if you want to keep current postseason setup)
8) Make all coaches on expansion teams free agents
9) Do any neccessary editing to my expansion teams (owner profile, colors, logos, parks, etc.)
10) Retire #42 on both expansion teams

I then pick one and take it over. This gives me a very HIGH level of immersion, as I am forced to fill all levels of minors, both players and coaches. It allows me to be in complete control from the birth of my team. I do this all on the first day of the offseason, the expansion draft gets auto scheduled for a few days after free agency starts.

As a side note, I usually always make my owner a 10 in patience, to ensure a long leash as we go through the first few years of build our club. I'm sure there are things I missed but this is the basic system I follow, in the process of setting up my new game in 17 now using this way. If you have questions just ask and I'd be happy to share!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

Leave the Twins alone you monster

Also, if you have the patience for it, fantasy drafts can be pretty fun as well if you make sure it empties out all the minor league systems too. I think I got about 100 rounds deep before auto drafting the "filler guys" for my minors.

Tampa and Miami it is! It's not like that state needs any more sports franchises anyways

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Any universal tips for doing an expansion franchise in 2017?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I have 2 questions about OOTP and importing historical players:

1)It seems a lot of historical pitchers get really poorly rated regardless of what period of their career you choose. Do they succeed despite the poor ratings? Like, Dave Stieb was pretty good for about 6-7 years but his ratings from that period aren't so hot. Same with people like Charlie Root, Carl Mays and Eddie Ciccotte.

2) If you import somebody who was doing well but had their career cut short, will their career for you end as short as it did historically? Like would I get a couple good years out of Mark Prior followed by him retiring?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have any of you ever done fantasy draft elsewhere everyone UFA? Any guides to avoid glitches or issues in this?

• Locked thread