Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My most recent OOTP game blew up after the 2022 season, right after the salary space I got back from Joe Mauer's albatross of a contract started paying dividends. Right after I signed Yu Darvish and his UCL blew up after a month and I rehabbed him back and he spent a season out with shoulder damage. Right after I traded away Byron "12 million dollars in arbitration and asking for 30 million per for eight years" Buxton for a outfield that hit better than .250.

I got so loving angry at that save corruption, but I'll be damned if I'm going to give up on OOTP16 before 17 comes out. There's still months of not-baseball to go.

As far as pitcher stats are concerned, I went with ERA+ and FIP, mostly, followed by WHIP. I really, really hate dudes being on base. Batting stats I usually went with OPS and ISO. I kept the base stealing low to middle unless the owner bitched, cranked sac bunts waaaaay down, and turned aggressive base running up a bit. I try for tactical or sabermatrician managers, balanced hitting/pitching coaches, and generally had the computer manage the minors rosters, though that tended to gently caress up development sometimes.

You can make a lot of good deals if you have a good scout and play those ratings off OSA ratings. My drafting is poo poo, but that happens when you're consistently picking 30th or so. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Doltos posted:

Year 3 of my Rockies franchise and my core of Syndergaard/Darvish/Maeda/Price/Tanaka is going strong. Too bad I can't find a closer worth a poo poo :argh:

I've played 3 or 4 different teams in OOTP for the better part of a decade each and Darvish is almost always going down with something ridiculous. One year he broke his leg, once he broke his scapula (somehow!), I think I only ever had one full season with him. He was lights-out that one season, but most of the time I just wish his contract went to a better 3rd baseman or something similar.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My brother got me OOTP 17 for Christmas and holy hell this is addictive.

But I still can't make the World Series, even with a rotation of Kershaw/Strasburg/Lester/Arrieta/Quintana and 2-5 in my batting order being Bryant/Rizzo/Stanton/Schwarber :negative:

Is your manager Maddon? Unorthodox managers never really worked for me. In 16 I ended up in the Series twice and won it once after changing a lot of organizational managing strategy, especially in regard to bullpen management. If you get a sabermetrics guy and then set a decent strategy, then you usually end up with pen calls where you need them instead of literally ASAP.

Also be prepared for the playoffs to be a crapshoot. Especially for Lester, who I hear doesn't throw to first.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Doltos posted:

The more I play this game the more I feel like it's completely random. You can build super teams that just fall apart and sign guys that turn in stats that are completely opposite of what their scouted ratings are.

Like I'll have a guy who has huge home run power and no eye/contact and will easily produce a .320 average with great on base. Just doesn't make sense.

Get better scouts.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I'm not sure I want to start a SSS argument here, but consider running your simulation season 5000 more times.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

My draft budget is always so high that I have no problems paying above slot for a few guys. Also after a certain number of rounds there are no signing bonuses except for the guys that need millions to not go to college (I never sign them, they just end up in my list because I auto-draft after six or seven rounds).

I don't actually really understand slots. Are you required to pay a dude at least that much? Is it just the "assumed value" of any given draft order pick? My draft budget is something I routinely gently caress up.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IcePhoenix posted:

You're not required to pay anything, it's just the recommended bonus that someone taken with that pick should receive.

Excellent. Thanks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

algebra testes posted:

OOTP 18 is ruining me. This 3d game engine poo poo makes playing games out so much fun infuriating!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Maybe this will be the year the ownership AI understands the cheap/good/fast Venn diagram.

I have no idea how anyone works for the Pohlads.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Eric the Mauve posted:

AI teams regularly make horribly imbalanced trades between themselves. You know how the AI likes to spam you with "hey, want to trade your good starting third baseman plus your best prospect for this mediocre relief pitcher" offers? AI teams make those kinds of trades between themselves all the time. The devs seem to think this is a feature because it moves players around without the devs having to go to the trouble of figuring out how to code trade AI that isn't retarded.

What's most obnoxious about this is that it never seems to work in my favor. Like I don't know what the system is that decides that the AI will initiate and obviously garbage trade request, but will not accept something that ridiculous in return. Like it constantly tries to get my top 10 org prospects for a hill of beans and some gum. I can't honestly imagine that this is how actual teams operate.

Though at the same time... they kinda do. So maybe we're all the idiots here. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I’ve played up to 18 and the ratings system as a whole seems like black magic to me. Neither the OSA nor scout system seems reliable in any sort of way nor reflective of the stats or performance of the players in a season. I know there’s a fair amount of guesswork in baseball as a whole, but I don’t wonder if the ratings actually actively make the experience worse from a gaming perspective. It doesn’t feel like a tool to me, but an overly punishing puzzle.

And I’ve been wondering if it’s any better in 19, but I also don’t want to spend the money to find out.

• Locked thread