Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Honestly, I don't see anything in there worth dropping $40 on unless you're eager to get the latest rosters. :shrug:

They advertise ~DRAMATICALLY IMPROVED AI!~ as a major feature but, well, as a longtime OOTP player I'll believe that when I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I just started a bizarro-world custom league that I'm really enjoying and will probably keep playing for at least a year. So I'm probably going to wait until it goes half off in the summer or fall sale to grab OOTP19 unless the reviews on this year's ~Improved AI~ are really smashing.

I don't feel like I'm actually asking for much in that regard, I'd just like AI teams to stop spending the offseason signing and then immediately waiving and releasing guys because it still has budget space left and has to spend it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I always had problems with using historical players too, so I just stopped doing that. The custom world I recently started is entirely fictional, started from ground zero with all fictional teams and players. 24 teams split into two leagues/four divisions. After spending a few hours importing logos and tinkering with uniforms to make everything look good, I set myself as unemployed commissioner and ran ten years to get some history before taking over a team. I'm really happy with the results.

One thing I've noticed with all new leagues you start is that the game has an idea of how much talent should be in the league. If it thinks there's not enough then the draft class will be super overpowered for a couple years, and if it thinks there's too much talent in the league then the draft class will suck for a couple years, until it reaches the equilibrium it wants.

When you start a completely fictional league populated with fictional players, the average talent level is always way low, so the first 3-4 years of drafts are always stacked. Your average fourth rounder in Year 1 or 2 would have been a mid-first rounder in Year 10.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

AI teams regularly make horribly imbalanced trades between themselves. You know how the AI likes to spam you with "hey, want to trade your good starting third baseman plus your best prospect for this mediocre relief pitcher" offers? AI teams make those kinds of trades between themselves all the time. The devs seem to think this is a feature because it moves players around without the devs having to go to the trouble of figuring out how to code trade AI that isn't retarded.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Armitage posted:

I swear sometimes trying to sign players to fill out minor league rosters in the offseason can be annoying. Minor league filler with no chance of making the major league roster unless the RNG gets really friendly with the talent change are asking for 1 year major league contracts or minor league deals that grant free agenct after 30 days for an extortionate amount of money.

You're a 1 star backup catcher in A ball, buddy, I can't be handing out a few million dollars when I still have players in arbitration.

I mean it's minor league roster filler, if I'm having trouble finding anyone at all then I'll just sort by Leadership and sign a Captain personality who can't play but will at least make everyone happier. (Not relevant if you turned the Chemistry system off, which is a very reasonable choice since it's so gamey)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean... human players obsess over prospects. Any long term fantasy keeper league has this problem, that every year half the players tank hard and trade their veterans for prospects. It stands to reason the AI should also be kind of obsessed with prospects.

Hardcore OOTP players insist that Very Hard trade difficulty and Heavily Favor Prospects AI settings are the only way to go, and even then trading is too easy and you have to control yourself lest you break the game over your knee. The difference between those maniacs and us is that they're perfectly willing to spend a solid hour offering a given superfluous outfield prospect around to all 29 other teams, getting a feel from their counteroffers as to which 3 teams' scouts like the guy more than they should, then putting every player in each of those 3 teams' entire system into the trade one by one to find out which ones their team's scouts like less than they should.

For you and me, who are willing to be a little bit gamey but aren't quite that insane, I think the default trade settings are usually pretty reasonable.

I do occasionally use the Shop Player Around function when I want to trade away a veteran, not because it ever provokes a serious offer but because glancing over the list of offers does tend to help me quickly learn which teams, if any, actually want the guy; they'll be the ones offering something besides 25 OVR/25 POT benchwarmers and salary dumps. Often it seems like a given team SHOULD want the veteran third baseman I'm looking to trade, because they're in Win Now! mode and have a gaping hole at third base in their major league lineup... but for whatever reason they don't really want the specific guy I have and aren't willing to trade anything of substance for him. Whereas some mediocre team with an average third baseman in house will for whatever reason be willing to trade a young major leaguer and a decent prospect for him.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Feb 11, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean it seems like the devs are pretty much admitting that there's nothing more they can do to enhance the simulation so they're now spending all their time on making games look pretty. :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Niwrad posted:

The OOTP boards are such cancer and have hurt the game in so many ways. I remember the damage they did to the series after 6.51 (which took like half a decade to recover from).

It's baseball and the game should mimic the leagues (mainly US based leagues) of the sport. Trying to turn it into soccer for the 3 or 4 people on the OOTP boards who seem to hate actual baseball doesn't make sense. Especially when basic functions like tiebreakers and expansion have been messed up for years.

I think they're doing it more because they gaze longingly at the megaprofitability of Football Manager

Same reason why they've become obsessed over their ~match engine~ to the exclusion of almost everything else

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 27, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

As far as I know promotion/relegation and feeder leagues has never been successfully done in OOTP--numerous people have invested dozens or hundreds of hours in setting up such fictional worlds, and they're really cool for about ten years before they collapse, usually because the financial system chokes.

tbh I suspect the crowd that's always pushing for OOTP to be more like FM are invariably rabid soccer fans who don't really watch baseball but just like the idea of a simulated sport based on discrete statistics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Cheevo mode

• Locked thread