Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

The whole IFA system in OOTP was always so bizarre and haphazardly implemented. Seemed like it was just, "generate a few random players who happen to be from other countries," without any regard to whether they had any business being signed by MLB organizations. In the SCMLB, I was inflating the IFA's talents and/or ratings every year just to make things more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I figured it out and it was the dumbest thing. I'd accidentally set his pitch count to 10 instead of 100, so they would yank him immediately.

Yeah, you have to be careful of things like that. OOTP will follow your directions exactly, and it won't warn you if you tell it to do something ridiculous. Another common pitfall is the seven-day lineups; make sure you check them every time you sim or have them set to auto-clear, or you'll have a partial lineup in there overriding whatever you set in your depth chart!

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Faltese Malkin posted:

Just a heads up: MLB contacted the developers of OOTP and asked they take team nicknames out of the game, so the latest patch (3.1.something) will fix bugs, add some 3D stuff, and take out team names. Apparently this also applies to minor league teams as well.

I was surprised they had the team names in there to begin with. The court ruling from a few years back allowed them to use player names and stats, but team nicknames/logos/etc. are still trademarks of their respective teams. I don't know why they ever thought they could use that.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

You definitely don't have to do the coaching. You can just sim past every game (in fact I think most OOTP players do) and just handle the GM duties (trade players, sign FA's, hire coaches, etc.) There is a setting to have the game auto-manage the minors if you don't want to do tedious things like moving players from Single-A to AA. There's also a "quick-start" option to load up a standard MLB setup for the 2013 season. I haven't done single-player OOTP in quite a while so I don't remember exactly which buttons you have to select, but for the most part you'll find there are ways to let the AI do the busy work for you and just oversee things.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Ugh, I just can't see buying another new version of OOTP that adds basically nothing interesting that wasn't in the last version. Even for $20, meh.

Rising Star League is pretty badass though and you should definitely join it if you have OOTP15.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Definitely sounds interesting. Also, they're apparently going to be MLB and MiLB licensed this year. Not sure if that will have a positive, negative, or negligible impact on the game. They don't have a deal with the Player's Association, so you won't see likenesses of the players, but that may be for the better considering the problems that has caused for the console MLB games (Jon Dowd instead of Barry Bonds, prospects being missing, etc.)

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, it mainly means they get to include the team names, logos, award names, etc. with the game so you don't have to download a mod for that stuff.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

tadashi posted:

I don't know what they were thinking with some of the default outfielder defensive ratings. Maybe it has changed with the recent updates? The way they were originally set, Alex Gordon's ratings would make him the best centerfielder in the game if you gave him time to learn the position. Heyward was similar.

This has always been a problem with OOTP's default rosters. That said, Gordon is coming off a year where he was rated very highly by UZR, so that's probably why he has high defensive ratings. Heyward has always been rated highly, and probably would be a decent CF if he played there.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

IME, the injuries are actually fairly realistic, but when you're trying to go through a season fast you don't want to deal with mundane stuff like your platoon LF being out for 4 days with a strained left wrist. I believe there is a league-wide setting for injury frequency, so you could just dial the injuries down. Strategically though, injuries are going to happen even if you set all your SP pitch counts to 90 and have all of your starters sit twice a week. It's part of OOTP (and baseball in general).

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Doltos posted:

I pick up some great young pitchers who all have sterling ERAs and BABIPs, start them, they go 9.54 era for the season (I'm looking at you Pomeranz).

Wait, aren't ERA/BABIP the exact stats you don't want to focus on, since BABIP has high variance and is less affected by pitcher skill, while ERA is influenced by BABIP giving it the same problems?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

IcePhoenix posted:

Something not in that list but in the article that is also important (to me at least) is that they support multi-core processors now. So for people like me who very rarely play games it will (supposedly) no longer take absolutely forever to sim through a month (or even a week).

That's cool. Hopefully it will actually be fast, instead of taking the same amount of time while tying up your whole machine instead of just one core.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Toona the Cat posted:

There are a few of us here that were on the old BBSC messageboard that ran leagues going back to OOTP4. Marathon AIM sessions and FTP exports all night long. One of our leagues ran from 2002-2024 over a span of about 8-9 years.

Sup.

It turns out that when you run an online league over 20+ seasons and convert across 3+ versions of the game, the file becomes a complete unholy mess. Was a fun league though, I think we all have some great memories of it.

I'd be up for playing in a sim league (but I am NEVER being commish of one ever again). The issue with using an older version of the game is that everyone has an older version, but good luck finding a whole bunch of people with the exact same older version. If the older versions are still available for free, that might work.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Developing a good trading AI is hard. Go back and play a season of High Heat some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

quote:

Harfangs, Dragons Confirm Swap
Sunday, June 1st, 2053
It's being reported in the Montreal press that the Harfangs have traded 20-year-old minor league CF Kento Tovar, 23-year-old minor league SS Whit Dodd, a 1st round draft pick and a 2nd round draft pick to the Portland Dragons for 23-year-old RHP Franky Sanicencio. However, there is no confirmation by the two ball clubs.

I see OOTP's news blurbs make as much sense as ever

• Locked thread