Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Running the 1901 to present simulation.... ty cobb hit .445 one year, insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm going to lose the division to the Cubs in my first season of iOOTP because Carlos Pena is OPSing 1.200

Is iOOTP worth it?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

con posted:

It's pretty realistic. Some guys will never achieve their potential no matter what, once in a while you get a 2* Potential guy who has a few years where he puts up MVP/Cy Young numbers. The most important thing with developing talent in my opinion is to not rush players. Some guys needs to stay in Rookie/A/A+ ball a few years until moving them up into AA/AAA. I really like to draft guys with high work ethic and intelligence ratings as that seems to reduce the volatility in my opinion, but everyone has their preferred qualities in players.

I go by rating, as soon as they are 75, they are in AAA, 72 AA, 69 A, and lower in Rookie.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'd be in. Should be a nice contrast from the heavy 'all era' league I'm in that uses Diamond Mind Baseball.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'd be in for an online league, provided I didn't need to own the game.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
You could in the old versions.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Couldn't take TLR any more.... cannot blame the guy.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I am in a baseball simulation league that uses DMB.

This happened yesterday (I'm Tokyo, ignore how terrible my lineup is, I fell out of it very early and sold to stock draft picks for next year)

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 4, 2011

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
That game ended up tied as the best pitching performance in the 16 year history of that league.

It was nuts.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
In a league I'm in we have Vaginal Irritation as an injury.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Mornacale posted:

It's the fact that Adam Dunn stole 12 bases.

e: Whoa, Dunn actually stole 19 bags in 2002 holy poo poo.

Dunn could grab some bags back in the day.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I wonder if my mac-mini 8gb ram, 2.0ghz processor will be A-OK to run it.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Best pitching performance, ever!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

nasboat posted:

And in true BBM fashion (and mirroring real life, I suppose), Hoyt fell apart and was done within like four seasons, I believe.

You can turn off that feature. Basically BBM will mirror what the player did in his career rather than random variables, but you can tell the game not to.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Telex posted:

well, historical sims aren't that accurate to start I guess because there are non-whites playing in MLB.

Also, I was able to hire Ty Cobb as my bench coach for the Cardinals, while he was still playing for the Tigers. :toot:

In BBM there is a setting you have to turn off or the years more often than not look pretty accurate.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Running an entire new history in BBM.

Babe Ruth in 1918 put up a .363/.476/.917 line with 80 homers.. holy poo poo.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

CraigK posted:

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I'll start up a sim starting in 2011, and let it sim for a looooong time (once I ran it out to the year 2500), but few records will fall; like Bonds stays that season and career home run leader, Pete Rose stays hit leader, Nolan Ryan with strikeouts, etc. What am I doing wrong?

Nothing, however, in BBM you can go into league or simulation manager and adjust options.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I ran a simulation from 1901 to 2025.

Alfredo Aceves had a year where he went 12-4, 214IP, 244K, 18BB, .80 ERA and had another season with an .82 ERA.

McGwire had 970 homers, Richard Hidalgo ended with 890.

Mussina ended with 429 wins, wow.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I'd be in. Start at 1901. That'd be boss.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Retail Slave posted:

Anyone else?

New York Giants if so, I want Christy Mathewson.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

Well, most of the talk is in IRC, but really the major focus of the forum is the Rising Star League nowadays.

You know what your true league is though.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

Not if this Joe Morgan trade backfires. :gonk:

Dude is great, he will be good for you. Him and Speaker are a dominant combo. Hit Big Klu third following Morgan and Speaker!

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Red Hood posted:

Hey guys, I'm in a simulation league that's about to start up. We don't use OOTP (We use Diamond Mind Baseball) and I'm having a problem deciding which park to pick as my "Home Park".

It's a 12-team, 30-man roster, NL only league. We haven't drafted yet, but my team is pretty much set. Here's my position players:
C: Carlos Ruiz
1B: Freddie Freeman/Paul Goldschmidt
2B: Chase Utley
3B: David Freese
SS: Starlin Castro
LF: OPEN (need to draft one)
CF: Andrew McCutchen
RF: Giancarlo Stanton

Should I try to enhance the power I have in the lineup by playing my home games in Great American or Miller?

And the Starting rotation:
Stephen Strasburg
Kyle Lohse
Ross Detwiler
Lance Lynn
Jeff Karstens

Or, since I don't have a great rotation, should I play somewhere like PNC or AT&T to help my pitching?

Or does it not loving matter at all and I should just play somewhere cool?

If you throw that rotation in GAB or Miller you'll get crushed. I play in a DMB league and you build your team to your park.

For example, in my league, I use 1985 Three Rivers Stadium as my home park. It's +130 for LHR and +80 for RHR. However, it's +120 for R2B and only +100 for L2B. So my lineup is set for lefty homer power and righties double power.

Pitching wise, DMB loves homers and absolutely LOVES matchups. You have a bunch of righties, so I'd find a park that plusses righty homers and suppresses lefty homers.

E: And it matters, dear god it matters. If you need any more info, just ask questions in the thread. Tavarin plays in the same league as I do and he can help answer questions.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 7, 2013

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Wrigley - 86 LHR, 107 RHR
Fenway - 80 LHR, 115 RHR

I'll look at a few more when I get to work.

And yeah, basically make sure you're looking at stats and if you're not in the top 10% for the IRL league, odds are that skill won't be great in the DMB league.

E: Take Fenway if you can, in our league someone is using 1955 Fenway, it owns.

code:
Hand    1b   2b   3b   HR
Left    110  150  129  144
Right   120  168  125  165

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 8, 2013

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
80 LHR, 105 RHR

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Rosters are hosed, but you can fix them to where they work OK.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
yes

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

oldskool posted:

A 4-3 triple play, if I read that right...2B catches the ball on a line, runs over to 2B to tag the runner heading back to second, then somehow fires to 1B to tag that runner before he gets back to first? :psyboom:

double steal?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I picked this up at the sales price. I love OOTP, but is there a mode where you can be the Manager only? Let a computer GM do it's thing?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

IcePhoenix posted:

Manager options gives you this:

Which might be what you're looking for? The downside is that you're giving those powers to your manager and not someone else in the organization (as you are the GM) so they might make terrible decisions.

I actually play the opposite way and let the AI handle lineups and stuff while I only do the GM stuff. Sometimes I have to step in an mandate that some guys are used a certain way but mostly I stay hands off.

That's what I'm doing, but I thought it'd be cool to work my way up as a pure manager.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Yes, I'd love to join. My current simulation league is going into the off-season until April.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I went to join that forum but it is up for moderation.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
regnevelc for me

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

He's been activated because the admin responds to me. :smug:

Tavarin is gonna say no because he knows what I can do with a team (or at least pull wins out of my rear end, how I won 89 games on HOFL is beyond me).

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Tavarin posted:

Hey, I won more games this year. :colbert:

Just send rujasu a message on the SimCentral forums since he's the commish of the SCMLB.

If only it was the League of Rejects. :smith:

That division tho

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Harlock posted:

Will do.

Were you still interested in the SCMLB too? We're gearing up to move forward with the offseason, but are pausing for new owners.

Yeah. I am. Sorry. Been busy.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
The loving rays over spent for the Catcher I wanted.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Holy balls, that contract.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
I had a solid 1-2 in the majors, just pretty thin after that. I added Harvey, Parker, and another 'real' guy to my rotation to fill it out. Let's see, I have a ton of people on 1 year deals. Gonna buy that series!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Steve Ross hitting donks like it's his job. (it is)

• Locked thread