Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telex
Feb 11, 2003

all those improvements tempted me enough to buy the OOTP12 after figuring I could probably go a year without.

The financials alone should make the game tons better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

is there a release date yet?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ThatsMyBoye posted:

Ah and now I see the very first season of a sim simulates individual games as slowly as if you were in the 100th season.

I have a feeling an SSD would actually improve the performance of these games amazingly. They write a buttload of tiny files every time they sim, so maybe a lot of the performance issues are drive related.

I've got an SSD in my laptop, I'm definitely going to run some comparisons from my desktop to my laptop when OOTP is out because that one ran nasty slow on sims for me with a crap hard drive but was way better on my RAID drives.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

tadashi posted:

OOTP 12 released on April 14. Has anyone bought it?

Yeah not sure where you saw April 14, but I think plenty of people pre-ordered it (myself included) and haven't heard poo poo about poo poo yet.

Sorta disturbing but that's what you get with this I guess.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Got an email from OOTP Developments it said "release" in the subject.

loving iOS game, not OOTP.

Goddamnit.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

before I blow my license code, they did say that your one code works on both mac and PC installs right?

I'm on a mac right now, someday I'll be on a PC again...

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Tavarin posted:

But holy poo poo the 2011 rosters are terrible. :psyduck:

I swear I saw a proclamation that the 2011 rosters would be the best ever...

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Okay so OOTP is still crazy.

I let the AI sort out my September callups, and it waived Bryce Harper. THANKS BUDDY.

Guess it's the same old "gotta micromanage every level otherwise the AI does stupid poo poo" game.

Meanwhile, I managed to sign Pujols and Jimmy Rollins to the Nationals and we are about to destroy the entire MLB. Harper is gonna spend one more year in AAA and then the magic will happen.

And if that doesn't work I go back to playing as St. Louis like I oughta. I do like the challenge of taking a lovely team and making them win though..

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Does it make me a sociopath when i wish a career ending injury on Jayson Werth and his 20 loving million dollar albatross of a contract in a game where I signed Pujols until he's 38 for 12m/year?

I have to pay Strausberg and Harper like 20m/year between them, I need that loving contract gone.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

Yeah, and only with a payroll of $300,000,000.

Is it really even fun anymore when you do things like that?

I enjoy having to totally blow up my team and/or stay in budget to compete with the Yankees.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

my scout just found a 15 year old kid in venezuela with 5-star potential and I signed him to a minor league deal.

Is that poo poo even legal?

seriously though, how will that guy not break every batting record if my scout didn't just go down to Venezuela and smoke a LOT of drugs or something...

Telex fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Jun 29, 2011

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

What all's changed between OOTP 11 and 12? Anything good? The pictures don't look that much different.

Better financials, better scouting. More unnecessary bugs, more useless loving dialog boxes.

Contract negotiations are both better and loving busted. Instead of submit, wait a while, get a response and resubmit taking weeks or months to get a contract hammered, you get instant sit-down negotiations such that you get extremely close or extremely angry the first attempt. As usual the AI prices everyone way too high in an absurd way and then settles for something significantly less. I wish they'd copied Baseball Mogul and showed the "rumors" in the negotiation boxes but that would require effort and well they really needed to poo poo out that iOS version of the game instead. Oh and you can get vesting options and team buyouts and such now.

It's really a lovely update honestly. Maybe there are some hidden gems that I'm not aware of somewhere but it seems like they added a few very small things that are visible to the user and that's it. I still loathe having to hire a goddamn A-ball pitching coach every other year, I don't care about managing the minors on a micro scale I just want someone to tell me when my minor leaguers are ready to trade or play but the game doesn't "do" that or I can't find an option for it. Rather disappointing.

But it was $30 so I guess it's not so bad.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

con posted:

If you go to Manager Options you can set you minor league lineups/depth charts and personnel decisions to auto or something and the CPU will manage it for you so you can concentrate on the ML team.

It does not auto-handle coaching changes. That, or it waits until some time when it's too loving late to get decent coaches and what not.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

RiceBurrito posted:

Mine league expanded the DL list to 19 days and two new franchises in the about 5yrs of playing this league. Whats the most extreme thing that's happened with changes? I've heard of roster expansions like a a bigger 40 man and even bigger Major league Rosters.

I've had games before where the DL was shortened to 7 days, multiple franchise relocations (Blue Jays to Columbus, Astros to Indianapolis, A's to Oklahoma, etc) and rosters going to 28 players.

Nothing is ever radical, just gradual changes here and there kinda like how MLB usually does it, just compressed into smaller timeframes because it's a game. I'd love to see a random radical change factor where it suddenly does some crazy poo poo like I don't know declare hard salary caps and get rid of divisions and contract 6 franchises or some poo poo and claim "tough economic times, boo hoo".

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I think being a Nationals fan in my reality would basically be the worst thing ever. Harper and Strasburg are on pace to be the best hitter and pitcher of the modern era, and they've signed with Boston and the Yankees respectively.

They didn't make the playoffs a single time before they left either

wanna know what the worst part is?

You're loving stuck with Jayson Werth's fat lovely contract until PAST the point where both Harper and Strausburg are making 15m+/year.

In my case, Strausburg won the Cy Young 3x in a row and started clocking 16m/year in his 2nd year of arbitration. Harper wasn't far behind in mine, I think he was getting 12m/year in his first year of arbitration and here I am with that Werth contract paying 20m/year for a bench player since he basically stopped caring about baseball in 2014. Ugh.

assuming you do something like play the Nats in this game, which I did and I did manage kick a shitload of rear end in 2013 but it was all in the poo poo when I was paying way too much for 5 dudes and having AAAA scrubs in the rest of my slots.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I think it's a lot tougher to just dominate everyone in OOTP than BM, at least in OOTP I've actually had to trade away players for financial reasons and I can't just get every top prospect in the game for a washed up veteran and some cash. Most of the trades I get offered are also slanted in favor of the AI rather than ludicrously in my favor as well.

Also, trading away a guy you overpaid for at some point is nearly im-loving-possible. The game doesn't do contract swaps very well at all, like getting rid of an overpaid outfielder for an overpaid pitcher just doesn't work out, the AI just won't do it.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

con posted:

Is there any interest in a somethingawful OOTP 12 online league?

I'd play but considering how few posts this thread gets maybe not enough interest..

Also, turns out having an SSD for this game is not as beneficial as I had imagined. It's probably a little faster but not really fast enough to be amazing. Still kinda chugs doing things when you have a pretty big league with a lot of minors and feeder leagues.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

ah GREAT the contract nonsense still persists!

I sign a free agent, and the AI promptly loving waives him. Like from the DFA list after signing him straight to loving irrevocable waivers. What the loving gently caress.

I guess I have to baby my 40-man roster now too.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Marquis de Pyro posted:

The only one I get is when I offer a player fairly early in arbitration a long term deal, he often gives the 'that's a great deal let's sign' or whatever dialogue, but then the offer changes to a 1 year deal worth way more than he'd get in arbitration

The one I get fairly often is a semi-star demanding 18m/8yrs. I counter with 15m/5years and he goes 20m/3 years. I give up.

Then he signs as a free agent for 2 years, 10 mil total. loving pennies compared to what I offered. It boggles my mind.

Meanwhile if I try and lowball, they immediately go to a 1-year offer at twice their current salary or something absurd.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Basically, what I'm saying is that I'd volunteer (if I had the game) to lose a zillion games as the Pirates, but it would be horrible to get randomly stuck with the Astros (or for a non-Bucs fan to have to play as the Pirates when I would have taken them).

the first thing I do in all my leagues is contract two teams.

it's almost always Tampa Bay and Houston. gently caress 'em.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

goddamn this game got dark, never seen this happen before... but I just saw a guy "fell off his roof" and is apparently paralyzed.

That is loving hardcore for an injury system.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

nevermind, clearly there's a box that does exactly what I want.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Moe_Rahn posted:

I just simmed the 2001 season in OOTP12 with the Oakland A's while running a 3-man rotation, which apparently will cause Hudson, Zito, and Mulder to transform into the father, the son, and the holy ghost. I was first of all shocked that none of their arms exploded when I forced them to start 50 games and pitch nearly 300 innings apiece, but I did not expect the season that ultimately transpired.

Gotta be honest, I'm not impressed with 20 wins out of 50 games.

How lovely was the rest of your team that they couldn't get a lead by the 6th inning and keep it?

Lots of relievers getting wins there, not cool.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mornacale posted:

Yeah, my problem is my minor league managers don't seem to give any fucks. I've got a dude in rookie ball I set to force as a starter and he now has 4 appearances in relief and 0 starts.

Have you released all the starters that you never want to actually start?

I've found you really, really, really have to cull the minor leagues on a regular basis manually, because otherwise you will end up with a 31-year old AAA starter who has just kept going long after he's reached uselessness. Force AAA starters to be relievers if they're not ML quality after say 27. Chances are they're a lifer if they're not ML quality.

Only keep 5 starters at each minor league level, or rather keep a quantity that equals 5 per level per minor league affiliate. Too many and some weird CPU math screws things up, your guys don't end up progressing and it ruins your minor leagues.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Mr.Showtime posted:

Closers gonna start, starters gonna close.

I have never seen starters close, but oh god I have seen way too many relievers start over actual starters and it's like whyyyyyyyyyy.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

wow, who's the fuckhead who absolutely decimated St. Louis?

I mean wow, 57 million in one season for Evan Longoria? Really?

Whoever you are, you are bad at OOTP. :(

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

so I got an ipad and I'm tempted to get iootp... but are we close to a release of iootp 2012 instead?

I know it's only 5 bucks but I still hate wasting 5 bucks when a new one might be soon to appear...

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

Yeah, I've tried to go into rebuilding mode for it, and every time I don't have the patience and instead I run out a Felix Hernandez/Brett Anderson/Justin Verlander/Jered Weaver rotation with a Bryce Harper/Albert Pujols/Dustin Ackley middle of the order and win 130 games every season.

I think this is the least possible fun you can squeeze out of a game like this.

Half the fun to me is the guessing game and lineup tinkering you have to do when it comes to being able to afford your good players and finding out when to trade them out for maximum value.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

CraigK posted:

I owned most of them during their arb-years and couldn't afford them once they hit FA :ssh:

you still have to do some bullshit trades to make things like this happen.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

The Prisoner posted:

Not really. I played an OOTP game offline starting with the expansion Expos and had many years where I was trotting out terrible teams and then small three-year windows of 85+ wins when my drafted talent congealed before I had to let them go to free agency. It's completely possible to pull off a rebuild with a small-market, low-budget team and stay competitive without loving with the game as long as you draft smartly and have a little luck.

yeah.. that is not what I'm talking about. What I am talking about is giving yourself 5 Cy Young quality pitchers, 4 MVP batters and watching your team win 120 games a year by forcing the CPU to accept some relatively unrealistic trades.

You can totally tweak the system and force every team to trade you their top prospect if you want. You can get a team with the top 10 draft picks if you want to do it and that's all good but I don't find it fun.

If you did it through the draft every year I guess that's cool. Most people don't brag about that, they tend to brag about how they "got" the CPU teams to trade all their top prospects for aging veterans and oh surprise my team got 144 wins since I had all the best players in baseball yay for me! Boring!

my bad on assuming it was the boring Yankees trading Derek Jeter for Harper and Strausburg sort of play and making the CPU accept it because you can.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Harlock posted:

OOTP experts, do I resign him for a 5 year deal at 13m/y at the age of 31? Most players die around 34, and his ratings have been in flux from all 8's to 7's depending on the sims.

Is that a lot in your game? Seems to me that it sounds about right if you're using normal financials.

I wouldn't go 5 though, I'd go 3+2 options and incentives. I've got a pretty loving big fear of injuries at old ages and eating salary that seems to happen a lot to me. 11m + 1m cy young + 500k for 200 innings, with the 2 option years vesting at 200 innings.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Retail Slave posted:

Is OOTP 12 or 13 different enough from the '11 version to justify a purchase?

12 has better contract options, that's the only thing I can remember as being "worth it".

13 will probably have one killer feature that makes it worth it too.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

apparently it's so bad that he gets injured while he's injured. Repeatedly.

Like he stepped into an injury machine.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

LordPants posted:

(also, "New Trade Engine" excites me, I hope they really kick it up a notch and make it so the AI can trade like the Rays.)

I just hope i can reject a trade and say DON'T loving OFFER ME THAT GODDAMN lovely DISGRUNTLED loving FOURTH OUTFIELDER YOU HAVE ANY loving MORE.

Hey, you want this guy and a lovely reliever for your great prospect?

Hey, you want this guy and a lovely AA career guy for some other two prospects?

Hey, you SURE you don't want this guy and a AAA guy for your #2 pitcher and your first round draft pick last year?

etc, etc, etc.

That poo poo has to stop, that or I have to be able to send out a career-ending hitman to get rid of a guy just so he doesn't get offered to me in trades anymore.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

speaking of weird poo poo, this just happened:

02/25/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Philadelphia.
03/01/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/05/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Philadelphia.
03/09/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/13/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
03/17/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Brooklyn while with Boston.
03/21/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Brooklyn.
03/25/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
03/29/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Boston.
04/02/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
04/06/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Philadelphia while with Boston.
04/10/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Philadelphia.
04/14/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Detroit while with Boston.
04/17/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Detroit.
04/21/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Detroit while with Boston.
04/24/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Washington while with Detroit.
04/28/1922 Got claimed off waivers by Boston while with Washington.

This guy signed the biggest contract in the offseason ($4,400!) and has spent his entire season on the waiver wire being flip-flopped around.

What the gently caress.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

tadashi posted:

Is this OOTP? I've noticed that, especially in historical sims, the AI has horrible problems with financial management. When there are a lot of needs on a team and they end up signing a big free agent before filling in the other needs, crazy poo poo happens.

Yeah and it happened for like a cluster of 9 players including Shoeless Joe Jackson who played 0 games in 1922 after being waived over and over and over again.

Very frustrating and sorta ruins the idea of a historical sim honestly.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

I dunno, Shoeless Joe playing 0 games in 1922 is pretty historically accurate

well, historical sims aren't that accurate to start I guess because there are non-whites playing in MLB.

Also, I was able to hire Ty Cobb as my bench coach for the Cardinals, while he was still playing for the Tigers. :toot:

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Regnevelc posted:

In BBM there is a setting you have to turn off or the years more often than not look pretty accurate.

OOTP here, I kinda lost interest in BBM a few years ago because it seemed like they were just version++ every year and not much innovation. I could be totally wrong though, maybe I'll skip OOTP this year and get BBM.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

haha goddamn.

I wish that I didn't have thoughts of buying the game right now just for things like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

goddamn.

bit the bullet, got the OOTP13 even though Diablo 3 is coming out soon enough that i'm basically playing this game for 2 weeks and maybe not again until July or August.

I start up a new game, and here's my first 2 weeks of the major league season

what the gently caress OOTP.

seriously.

what the gently caress.

Oh and Berkman wants 20 mil to stick around past this year.

I'm loving trading everyone. Everyone. All of them.

• Locked thread