Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Are there going to be any goon run OOTP12 leagues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn't see it posted yet: Marcus posted a release date of 20 June for OOTP. Yay!

Might we have enough interest for a goon league? We did one a few years ago that was a lot of fun.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Well, today is the day for OOTP. Markus posted a few minutes ago that they're compiling the final install files.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

lol

Also last year the NL started using a DH.

I like the random changes thing.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Bryce Harper, at age 25, coming off a season in which he put up a 1.100 OPS with 60 homers and a .370 batting average....signs with Boston for 3 years 10 million per year

Haha wow he totally busted in my game. I'm using him as a 4th outfielder on a 500k contract.

Also the salaries are set in the game ("a great player salary will be around $XX"); default is $14m I think so that isn't totally ridiculous. It does suck though for the teams who have players who signed real life megabuck contracts.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd do an online league.

Also I don't think it is really possible to totally dominate the AI in 12, especially if you turn up the difficulty. I'm bitter right now because my superstar generational pitcher (won 4 straight Cy Youngs) got $21m in arbitration, and is now demanding $35m a year for an extension. I'm playing as KC. That's a third of my budget. :(

Only the Yankees can afford him, I might have to trade him. gently caress you Yankees.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What the hell should I do with this guy? This is probably the weirdest skill set I've ever seen in the game.

He's on pace for a 3 WAR season....with a .480 OPS. My manager has him leading off. With a .213 OBP. He's been on base 36 times and has stolen 23 bases.

I don't even know.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
My manager won't use any of my great OBP guys in leadoff, should I just remove the option to play Mr Beck at all? I'm starting to think trade...

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

uggy posted:

Are you opposed to setting lineups yourself at all?

Yeah, I try and play strictly as a GM.

Guy's line at the break is .215/.234/.293. 57 SB, 5 CS, plus he's the best defensive CF in the game by a good bit right now. I wish my manager would bat him 9th; my SS is .318/.411/.491 with 15 SBs but of course has 40 fewer PAs than the worst everyday hitter in MLB. BAD MANAGER

I'm not super knowledgeable about baseball tactics; is there some thing I'm not aware of that would make batting this guy #1 a good play? I've always been under the impression that OBP > * in the first two lineup spots.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So here's ol' boy after his 3rd season. He's been batting leadoff every game. The SBs are pretty funny.

He's won a couple of GGs in CF and had by far the best ZR the last two years. I have 3 more years of him in arbitration; would you offer him an extension? If he's a 4-5 WAR player that probably means at least $13-15m. Kind of tempted to trade him still.

Also I really wish there was a player like this in real life.

edit - he's wanting $12m a year for an 8 year deal, can probably get him down to $10m.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 15, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
What do you guys think of this:

I get:
20 y/o LF, .301/.368/.501 with 25 SBs and plus defense in rookie season, was #19 overall prospect year prior

I give:
Borderline all star 27 y/o 3B (.287/.365/.502, 85 rating at 3B), 2 years of arbitration remaining
#5 overall prospect, power hitting RF, 22 y/o
#68 overall prospect, good all around 21 y/o LHP
2.5* C prospect, 19 y/o

I feel like this is a fairly reasonable trade. I realize this sort of thing doesn't happen often in the real world, but how realistic is it from a value perspective?

(I have trade difficulty all the way up and "heavily favor prospects")

Epilogue:
The guy I traded for has turned into a young Bonds; two straight MVPs, two GGs, two 1.000+ OPS seasons with 30 SBs. The 3B made an all star game and is a pending FA, #5 prospect is now 24, hasn't cracked the majors yet and is looking like a major bust, the SP is doing well in AAA and looks like he'll be a 2.5-3 star SP, the C is middling in AA.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 16, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

This happened. Was amused.

Then this happened:

He just finished an MVP season, .334/.384/.624, 27 SBs, 7.0 WAR. If this actually happened in real life I might actually watch ESPN to see them talk about it.

Aaaaand finally, this happened.

I would give almost anything to see a 320 pound 36 year old Jason Heyward lumber up to the plate 300 times a year.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jun 21, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always play a modern day game, only as GM. Trade difficulty set to high and "favor prospects" makes the trading a lot harder, especially the old "offload aging overpaid veterans" tactic. I also like taking a random kid from a draft class and then plug in some former player's career highs or something like that as their "potential", then watching them as they go through their careers. It is funny how much they change/fail/succeed. IE, the AI mangled Babe Ruth so badly that he never even made the majors.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Everblight posted:

N: OOTP 16 is 50% off this weekend

V: I've tried to get into OOTP's before (with 9 and 14) and found them just a bit impenetrable, I want a little more hand-holding in terms of how to do things like re-sign a player. Is 16 any easier to get into or is it still "have a 100-page pdf open in another window, good luck lol"?

I just got 16!

I've been playing since OOTP 3 and there's still stuff I don't get about the game. For a new player, I'd recommend just starting a new standard MLB game, you'll know the players and teams and so on and the UI is really pretty accessible these days. After you've played for a few years you'll get the mechanics and whatnot down just through trial and error.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So this is going on in my current game:

He's apparently a 34th round draft pick who in-game was traded for a middling closer while still in rookie ball.

I had nothing to do with any of this editing or otherwise. His initial scouting ratings were 1/2/1 and SOMETHING happened when he was in A ball. Something...big.

So, that's 6 straight Cy Youngs, 5 straight MVPs. I don't think I've ever seen a better player in this game that wasn't some sort of edited thing.

Also in this game Mike Trout has managed to stay pretty much healthy and productive into his 30s and he's approaching Ruthian career levels, which I've also never seen.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Oct 10, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Ok here's some interesting career shots. This was kind of a strange game in this regard...a random all time great, trout and Harper both having long and relatively injury free careers. I managed the Royals until 2020 (I think) and then resigned and just ran a sim. I made no edits to any player.

Carlos Correa: could have been the best SS of all time, but had some major injury problems after his age 25 season.

Bryce Harper: I signed him to a 10 year, 350mm deal as the Royals (lol), I think my world class trainer did a great job of keeping him healthy. Fell off the cliff badly at age 33 but that 13.0 WAR .363/.492/.700 season is maybe the best I've ever seen from an outfielder.

Clayton Kershaw: was brilliant as expected, signed HUGE deal (8 years, 45mm per year I think?) with the Pirates and promptly blew out his shoulder.

Manny Machado: pretty close to the best 3B of all time. Yankees signed him to a stupid huge deal in his first UFA year and certainly got their money's worth:

Some regen catcher who I posted because he is probably the best all around catcher of all time:

Giancarlo: Made it to the HoF despite always being hurt and becoming the all time ML leader in K's:

Trout: 3rd all time WAR (behind Cobb's 176 and Ruth's 167), kind of funny he appears to have developed a Bondsian eye out of nowhere at age 33. I think he could have easily passed Ruth if he'd stuck around but retired young (relatively).

And now this motherfucker: he's still pitching and is still useful at age 41 but I got tired of waiting for the stupid sim. 5 MVPs, 11 Cy Youngs. 16 ASGs.

Here's his contract history which is also kind of funny:

Opted out of his 7/112 Padres contract in 2025, signed with KC for 7/239 (this was the CPU, I had resigned by this point), opted out there after 2 years, signed with Reds for 7/283, signed 2/125 with Indianapolis (expansion team), then 2/89 with Seattle, and just finished 1/16 with Colorado. I have inflation set to between 2 and 5% per year but still, lol.

All that said I think the funniest thing of all is he's still nowhere near Ryan's strikeout record.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dreamsicle posted:

So after only playing historical exhibitions and simming historical what if's to see how Negro League and would do in the MLB, I finally decided to actually play a season-long+ game. For some reason, I decided my first game was to try and one up Sandy Alderson and started with the 2011 Mets in a historical game. However by 2014/15 I've noticed that some of the prospects and my players had their ratings either shoot up (Justin Turner) or collapse (Matt Harvey even though his arm didn't explode this time) and it's probably going to be not as fun if I decided to just trade for prospects I know that are going to be good even if they have low potential ratings. Because of this, I've been thinking of using the development engine instead of recalculations on real stats every season and enabling the scouting system. I do have a couple of questions about this however.

1) This is more for a standard game, but how common is it for a player's potential to improve like I assume with Tyler Watson in bewbies' game?

2)Is it still relatively common in this mode for the same players to be good? Asking in case I decide to use this mode for future historical simulations.

3) How will relievers who became starters be handled like Adam Wainwright or pitchers who became hitters and vice versa like Ruth, Musial and Ankiel?

You have two choices for how historical players develop: one is they basically take the historical stats for each season, set up each players production for that season based on what he did historically, and sim it out for that year. So like, 1961 Roger Maris' power is through the roof for that year, but they fall off...abruptly after that, because that's what he did historically. The relief pitcher thing is handled in the same way, like Dennis Eckersley's scouting report will show him as a top notch starter in 1985, and then he'll suddenly turn into a reliever in 1986. I personally find this approach pretty dull as you know EXACTLY when a player is going to break out, or alternatively fall off, etc.

The other way to do it is they feed in a "career potential" kind of setup when the player is built, and they get thrown into the game, and the game engine just takes over from there. So, like George Brett gets put into the game in 1970-something, and starts with the potential to be a .390/.454/.664 hitter eventually. He'll then develop just like any other player...might get to .390 territory, might not....might be even better. This is a lot more fun as you can kind of see "what ifs" based on player talent level but with them in different situations, different injury histories, etc. You can turn up the randomness too, so they'll get more (or bigger) bumps or hits to their ability and thus you'll have even more variation.

I did a complete computer sim of all baseball history using this on a previous OOTP and the results were pretty cool...Babe Ruth hit like 800 HRs, Ted Williams sucked, Roger Clemens didn't even make the majors, etc.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I bet you the nationals thought exactly the same thing about Bryce Harper this year and well

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
That's legit exciting stuff.

Compare that to the crap rehash of the annual Football Manager update....they should be ashamed. OOTP is so awesome.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure about the most recent version but I know in the previous versions the most realistic injury setting was one notch above default. it doesn't seem like baseball players get hurt all that often until you really look at guys careers and see how few times they play 150+ games.

I used to play multiplayer front office football and with injury settings on realistic it was just about enough to cause people to break into tears

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I've been pretty underwhelmed with the trading AI thus far. The Royals as expected need to be blown up and rebuild, so I'm trying to find a home for one of the best closers in baseball. The only responses I get are past their prime dudes on albatross contracts or fringe major leaguers.

I feel like considering the hauls that Miller and Chapman brought last year this is unrealistic.

it probably goes without saying I couldn't even find a taker for Hosmer, Cain, or Moustakas....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Any universal tips for doing an expansion franchise in 2017?

I'm doing CHALLENGE MODE with the Royals and it is pretty hard especially since the Royals are going to be up poo poo creek IRL after this year.

Basically:

- Tank, but only for a year or two. After that try and be at least competitive (~.500 ball) or else your finances will really take a hit.
- Don't sign any expensive players to long term deals, even if a superstar hits the market. Wait and sign filler/replacement level guys in the preseason for 1-3 year deals, overpay a bit for team option years (these are much harder to negotiate this year).
- Invest in coaches, scouting, and player development.
- Manage your good prospects, ensure they're getting playing time and are in the right positions.

The game vs the AI seems quite a bit harder this year - you're basically not getting good prospects from the AI without a massive overpay, and the AI will have NOTHING to do with your albatross old fat veteran contracts. So, you're pretty much on your own in finding/stockpiling prospects, and avoid big fat contracts like the plague until such time as you're ready to compete in the playoffs.

Basically, the days where you could rebuild a team by trading away your fat veteran contracts and then easily load up on quality prospects are gone....gotta do it the hard way now.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 18, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just had a regen guy do this in 2020:

.397/.528/.728/1.257
179 R
48 HR
134 RBI
151 BB
100 K
109 SB / 11 CS
17.4 WAR

He plays for the Rays, who are bad, but made the playoffs because of him. He was drafted 4th overall in 2017, this was his 2nd season as a 22 year old (his rookie line was. .311/.421/. 509). All of the league settings etc are at default.

I'm pretty sure that's the best e-sports season I've ever seen anyone ever have in any game where 1) I had nothing to do with manipulating anything behind the scenes and 2) he wasn't on my team.

oh and he was +17.3 runs in CF, that too.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Apr 21, 2017

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I always thought OOTPs AI trading was weird and inconsistent until I started playing online leagues with real people.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm doing "challenge mode" with the royals and it is loving HARD

They have it all: no farm system, albatross contracts, a small market, a penny pinching owner

I haven't been this challenged and annoyed by OOTP in a long time and it owns

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
its just a no-edit hard save mode

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Trout/Harper/Machado/Kershaw/Stanton UFA deals were...funny.

Trout opted out at 29, got 7/327 including $54m in the last 3 years....for the Dodgers
Stanton at 31 got 6/257 to go back to NYY after 46/56/57 HR seasons
Harper got 7/258 (in Atlanta lol) and then won a WS and two MVPs
Kershaw got 6/207 in Toronto and kept winning Cy Youngs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
More dingers + healthy has created a monster GC Stanton. He just hit #600 in his age 33 season.

Almost every year someone hits 60

• Locked thread