Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I'll have to give historical leagues a spin again in OOTP after my save became corrupted. I'll have to settle for the latest free version for now, though.

In my experience with playing both sims historically, OOTP and BBM seem to agree that Mel Ott should be the all time home run king. I usually sim these historical leagues up until 1962, then take control of the expansion Mets, then have them start dominating by 1967 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I remember playing a Baseball Mogul sim a long time ago where I was looking to upgrade a position for a playoff run and had made an offer where I sent two middle of the road prospects for a player with 1 year left on their contract.

The CPU GM laughed at me for even offering it, and when I hit the Get Counter Offer button, it countered with 8 of my top prospects. I think the Baseball Mogul game this happened in was Baseball Mogul 2000.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I got OOTP 11 recently, and I've played through about a decade of historical seasons, but this morning the game decided that it would cause a blue screen when trying to load my game. It got up to 50% - Loading Players, then it went boom. :(

EDIT: The customer support did get back to me rather quickly, so gonna have to zip up and send them my league files.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 16, 2011

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

In OOTP, how do I maintain a player's potential? My high potential positional players in my system are not afraid to go from 4.5 stars potential to 2 and lower at the drop of a hat. :psyduck:

Also my minor leagues are full of guys who are overmatched and not ready for their level. They usually have to go down to short season or rookie league before these designations are gone.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 25, 2011

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

con posted:

It's pretty realistic. Some guys will never achieve their potential no matter what, once in a while you get a 2* Potential guy who has a few years where he puts up MVP/Cy Young numbers. The most important thing with developing talent in my opinion is to not rush players. Some guys needs to stay in Rookie/A/A+ ball a few years until moving them up into AA/AAA. I really like to draft guys with high work ethic and intelligence ratings as that seems to reduce the volatility in my opinion, but everyone has their preferred qualities in players.

I know I've seen a couple of pitchers of mine come out of nowhere and their potential rating shot up bigtime. I'm about ready to call up two of them. I don't remember where I drafted them so I'll have to check when I get home. I don't think I drafted them very high, so it is pretty nice that a late round draft pick can make something of himself :)

Armitage fucked around with this message at 13:01 on May 25, 2011

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

The beauty of OOTP is that you can add incidents and injuries and be as silly as you want to be. I had one player get injured pretending he was Batman, and another getting injuried in a charity pay-per-view pro wrestling match.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

In my OOTP11(I buy sports games every other year so I'll get OOTP13 when it comes out) historical game, Harmon Killebrew broke Babe Ruth's home run record at the age of 41, hitting #754 :unsmith:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Also, is there any way to fix potentials in historical leagues? I don't know if this is a problem in OOTP12, but too many times I see potentials being lower than actual ratings when a player is imported, looking at various players in the editor.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

My offline OOTP historical game is mocking me. For some reason it's decided Dan Warthen's gonna be a borderline hall of famer :psyduck:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I like how the Yankees turn him into a reliever after a 20-3 age 41 season.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I don't do a recalc player ratings/retire players according to history/players miss seasons deal as I find it fun to rewrite history. I also find it fun to discover, or rediscover, obscure players that could have been someone. In the N/V thread I mentioned Kal Daniels, who is currently owning the crap out of my league for the Montreal Expos. I looked him up, and the dude kicked rear end for too brief of a period. I wonder what happened to him, he could have been a superstar.

Also, here's Warthen himself, in all his glory. The Indians had some not so good teams during his run, sadly.

I've been tempted to sabotage him over the years :argh:

Also, I just never got around to picking up OOTP 12, though I have heard the game has some pretty nice options.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

CraigK posted:

Kal Daniels was a really, really good athlete whose knees sabotaged him; if you're playing with ratings based on historical stats it's not surprising he becomes a monster so often.

That's before the first of many knee injuries.

I believe OOTP rates his durability as Fragile. Him getting hurt would help my chances to retake the NL East from the dreaded Expos, but they have Orel Hershiser and a few other good players.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I had a very Mets-like 1996 campaign. I signed Ken Griffey Jr to put us over the top after missing the '95 playoffs. We had high hopes...

Dashed to bits by injuries and many players falling off the proverbial cliff. There was a 14 game losing streak in there too that led to the firing of our manager Tommie Agee. After that we started our rebuild, finishing the season 74-88.

At least going into '97, we have a nice lineup, but the pitching is gonna suck :v: Gonna hope for some high picks!

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

tadashi posted:

Basebball sims often seem to favor the development of certain players over others so it's good to try several different teams for a few years at a time to see what players it favors at first. (OOTP 11 usually lets Brian Matusz become the left-handed Greg Maddux). You also have to throw off your notions of who should be good and realize who the game thinks is good, like any sports game.

Plenty of god damnits were hurled at Bob Wickman, Ken Hill, and Scott Chiamparino in my OOTP game.

I could not beat them in the postseason, and it was rare when I could beat them in the regular season. Hill and Chiamparino were like Smoltz/Maddux, and Wickman turned from a mediocre starter to Cliff Lee-ish. Of course your mileage may very.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Jim Bottomley pretty much owns and broke the game for a little bit in the 1920, even hitting .444 in 1927. He hit over .400 two other times, and finished his career with a .373 average.

I finally finished my sim as well, and it was a blast and I can't wait for OOTP '13

Hitting stuff:
  • Harmon Killebrew is the all time HR king, finishing his career with 791 home runs. Ruth finished with 753, after converting him to a hitter when he was supposed to make the conversion.
  • Mark McGwire finished 4th with 665 homers, Sam Horn(!) finished 6th with 632 homers.
  • Just as a 'what if' scenario: I added Josh Gibson when his career started, and Sadaharu Oh when his career started. Gibson ended with 721 homers(3rd all time), and Oh finished with 618 homers, placing him 8th behind Lou Gehrig(7th, 628).
  • Ken Griffey Jr(652, 5th), Mickey Mantle and Ted Williams(both with 593, tied for 9th) rounded out the top 10. Bonds finished 11th with 577. David Ortiz is the highest active home run hitter, with 538(16th)
  • Babe Ruth and Ralph Kiner both hold the single season home run record with 65. David Wright came close in 2007, putting up 58 for the Rockies. There have been a lot of players in recent seasons that looked like they would shatter the record, but hit 1-3 home runs in August or September, and end up sputtering around 50. Wright was one of the few threats that were consistent all season.
  • As mentioned above, Jim Bottomley had 3 .400 seasons. Ed Delahanty had 3 as well, and Ted Williams and Willie Keeler had 2.
  • No one had 4000 career hits, though Tony Lazzeri finished with 3978. Garret Anderson, at the age of 39 is within striking distance and with 3812 hits could very well overtake him as he still has decent attributes. Pete Rose faired far worse in my game, retiring after only 3 seasons thanks to torn ankle ligaments. He did have over 170+ hits in each of his three seasons, though.
  • I started my sim earlier, so the stolen bases are a bit out of whack. Nobody's gonna catch Billy Hamilton, who finished with 1707 stolen bases. Lou Brock did finish with 1654, and Luis Aparicio finished with 1444. I don't think any current player is going to come close to 1000. Rickey Henderson finished with 688.

As far as pitching goes: John Murphy(0.88 ERA in 1884), Al Spalding(55 wins in 1875), and Charlie Geggus(555 strikeouts in 1884) will never have their records fall, though as you'll see, several pitchers throughout the years bent the game over their knees:

• Larry Corcoran finished with 482 wins, followed by Joe Wood with 473, and Charlie Geggus with 463. Geggus was pre-1900.
  • Lefty Gomez(459), Alex Voss(433), Robin Roberts(417), Don Drysdale(409), Nolan Ryan(403), Matt Kilroy(401), and Bob Lemon(400) rounded out the top 10. Voss and Kilroy were before 1900.
  • Doc Gooden stayed away from the drugs, finishing with 399 wins, and 5962 strikeouts. I decided to watch his last game play out, as he had announced his retirement during the season. He lost. :(
  • Bob Feller finished with 7318 strikeouts. Yea, he pretty much broke the game at one point. Gooden's a distant 2nd. Nolan Ryan was third(5712). Pedro Martinez(5613 - still active!), Bert Blyleven(5571), and Don Drysdale(5139) were the only others with over 5000 Ks.
  • Nolan Ryan finished with 101 shutouts. Closest modern pitcher is Pedro Martinez, with 48. That record's likely never falling.
  • Feller not only has the most career strikeouts, he also had the most career walks with 3255.
  • Most recent pitcher with 30+ wins was Bert Blyleven with 33 in 1978.
  • Rob Dibble finished as the all time saves leader with 491. Will Cunnane is the leading active player with 436. Mariano Rivera finished with 425. Tom Niedenfuer finished with 479. Sounds like he might be a dominant closer in most cases.
  • There were 9 perfect games. Ray Collins in 1915, Robin Roberts in 1954, Don Drysdale in 1969, Tom Griffin in 1970, Jim Palmer in 1973, Bert Blyleven in 1983, Ed Correa in 1999, Pedro Martinez in 2005, and Josh Beckett in 2008.
  • The Mets have had 5 no hitters. Roger Craig, Kevin Tapani, and Pedro Martinez had 3, including the perfect game mentioned above. He also had a no hitter in the postseason.

The Atlanta Braves won 20 World Series in their history, the Chicago White Sox were 2nd with 14, and San Francisco had 13. The Yankees only had 6. The Tigers(1961) and Twins(1888 as the Washington Nationals) only have 1 championship.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 10, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

^ have you seen a team relocate once you get past 2011? I turned League evolution on in mine. I haven't simmed as ffar as you have.

uggy posted:

Ya, I don't know why it's interesting but it really is so if people want to keep posting these, I will keep reading them.

Probably because under most circumstances, nobody has the same game twice. There are a few guys that constantly turn out to be super studs, but there's always a few real life superstars that end up busting out for one reason or another, and there's always a few nobodies that turn into Hall of Famers(*cough*Dan Warthen*cough*). Also, doesn't hurt to whet appetites for OOTp 13 :v:

Armitage fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 12, 2012

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Garret Anderson did break 4000 hits and retired at the end of the season.

I added Yu Darvish, and simmed a few seasons past. Him and Tim Lincecum both had seasons where they only lost 1 game all season.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Ah yes, concussions and torn labrums. Once a player gets one of those, they're pretty much hosed.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Moe_Rahn posted:

"realistic modern day" is really more along the lines of "realistic 2009 new york mets"

The game keeps trying to give one of my superstars a CEI. I'm all "gently caress that noise", and changing the injury to something like a papercut. It's happened 3 times in two seasons! I should combine 'concussion' and 'torn labrum'(torn UCLs are frequent too but not nearly as bad as far as career enders go) to some sort of super injury.

BTW, just started the 2020 season, and the Marlins decided to up and move to San Antonio, calling themselves the Wallabies. That makes a whole lot of sense, I guess.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

There are .txt files you can edit to make up stories and injuries of your own, though I don't think there's the ability to make a random event like in tadashi's scenario.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

The financial system in OOTP's always been a bit weird. You could always edit average salaries for each tier of players every few seasons, but you really shouldn't have to.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Harlock posted:

Someone on Twitter posted a player cleaning his gun and shot himself. The stories are getting really dark.

I can't wait to play 15, since I've exhausted 14.

I had a story where a pitcher suffered the loss of his kid :(

Dark, indeed.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

A lot of these super fast players tend to lack hitting skills, it's not totally unusual to see. That guy actually does have okay hitting potential, though, which a lot of these speedsters don't have. He might not ever get a .700 OPS at the plate but that speed plus that defense could end up saving you.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I was ready to finish up my 2033 campaign in my long running solo play historical OOTP game when I noticed the Nationals had a pitcher that was 0-21 with a month to go.

He left a game holding a 4-1 lead on the first place Phillies when the bullpen blew it for him. Next time out against my Mets, and of course the Mets would be the ones that got him the win. The pen almost blew that one too, but they were able to close out a 6-5 win.

I'd be somewhat miffed if we weren't rebuilding.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

tadashi posted:

That's impressive. What are the chances he'll beat Anthony Young's 3-30 over a 2 season span?

I'm starting 2034. The Nats punted him to AAA

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I got OOTP 16 from last weekend's steam sale, and I've converted my save from previous versions. It seems like the game is a huge memory hog, more so than it usually is. I tend to get some weird freezes where the screen turns white, and sometimes black, but the window never goes into a temporary not responding mode. How can I fix that, or at least not have the game bog down my system so much?

EDIT: this tends to happen when I switch windows. I've seen other people reporting this issue but no resolution has been posted.

Armitage fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 1, 2015

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

tadashi posted:

Does this have something to do with it being the Steam version instead of the version directly from OOTP? OOTP can be a memory hog, especially while you're loading a league or simming so it's best not to try to do other things then but I haven't had a lot of issues with mine hanging otherwise.

It's the Steam version. I don't know if it has anything to do with the white screen issue as other people who reported the same issue didn't mention which version they had.

Hopefully the new update takes care of the issue!

EDIT: Nope :(

Armitage fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jul 2, 2015

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Disappointed with OOTP 16. Now all of a sudden my game freezes when loading nation flags of all things? :confused:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Unfortunately I have the Steam version :(

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

tadashi posted:

Yeah, it seems like this year's Steam version has been a bitch for everyone who uses it.

I finally got it to go past the Loading Nation Flags thing and it seems to be running okay now.

I just wish I could install a decent feeder league system without the game crapping out. There's one template with NCAA teams and a good number of HS teams for each state but I imagine that's going to seriously bog down the game.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Hi guys, the popular Super League Let's Play thread is looking for more teams! We have a few and could always use more sign ups

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3778233&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The biggest problem I have so far with OOTP is the insanely high frequency of injuries on the default setting, which apparently is one level below the "realistic" setting. I was having 2-3 players getting injured during every offseason and another 2-3 would get severe (2-months or longer) injuries during spring training. Then once the season started, I'd lose at least 2 starters and one position player for the season alongside countless 1-to-4-week injuries. I had to turn the injury frequency down to low it was getting so infuriating. My teams were making the 2016 Dodgers look like the healthiest team that ever existed.

I kind of feel the "low" injury setting is a little too low. I would imagine that somewhere between "low" and the default setting would be just perfect for injuries.

I like to manage my minor leagues, so on the default setting I have to deal with injuries every few days :v:

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I tried a couple of seasons with actual college/high school feeder leagues. It's a great idea on paper, as the draftees playing actual games adds realism.

However: A) it bloats the save files badly and b) I don't think the players develop all that much in these leagues.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I swear sometimes trying to sign players to fill out minor league rosters in the offseason can be annoying. Minor league filler with no chance of making the major league roster unless the RNG gets really friendly with the talent change are asking for 1 year major league contracts or minor league deals that grant free agenct after 30 days for an extortionate amount of money.

You're a 1 star backup catcher in A ball, buddy, I can't be handing out a few million dollars when I still have players in arbitration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

I also hope OOTP19 fixes how badly the OOTP AI likes to hug prospects even if the players are afterthoughts. I may have a glut of prospects at one position, but not enough at another. I go to find a team that has enough minor league players at the needed position, and I can offer a player to fill their positional needs.

Nope. They get offended that I even make the offer, and they always want a top prospect when I want to make the deal work. Their counter offers would be the type of deals where I'd call up the other GM at all hours of the night and laugh at them until they block my phone.

The ability to force trades to go through owns and is one of the best features in the game. Of course, you should only use it for those kinds of deals that will never matter in the long run for either team.

• Locked thread