Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

A funny thing I saw on reddit

Another thing I found out through reddit: they still haven't coded in three way tiebreakers. I'm not even going to call it a bug because I don't think it's a failure in the coding, I think it's that they just don't bother to try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The worst change the series made was switching to PECOTA for player ratings IMO

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Is rsl the league I quit because people were being babies about my rotation? The acronym sounds familiar.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Waffles Inc. posted:

In baseball, the salary cap, free agency, development ages and the draft utterly gently caress you from being able to replicate that model. Financially, it's essentially impossible to keep an entire roster of superstars on your payroll. As in, almost literally impossible because of caps and taxes.

It's entirely possible to get yourself into a position where you spend big on young guys and do super well for like, 2-3 seasons. But then you're gonna be left with an aging team and guys hitting free agency you won't be able to afford. And you're gonna be stuck with trash-ish players in your Farm because you aren't able to get good draftees if you're winning.

So there's all of that, and then the other thing that is just a radical departure from FM (and football in general): you generally cannot just outright buy players. If you see a young stud in soandso's farm system, the trade system basically will not let you straight up offer cash for him, the way say Southampton will take $10m for decent potential 19-year-old.

None of this is how baseball (or OOTP) work.

There is no salary cap.

Your young superstars are cost controlled until their seventh (or eighth if you gently caress with them properly) year in the league, which is when they finally hit their first free agency. Note that when they're in the minors, developing, they ARE NOT accruing that service time.

All the other stuff ("abloo bloo I can't buy players :qq:") I can't understand the negative.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WMain00 posted:

What the hell (from reddit):

:stare:

Okay, I might not know alot about baseball, but even I know that the star rating for this guy is wrong.

Star ratings I believe are relative to position, it's possible that there's a fuckton of ridiculously good shortstops in his league right now (note that it's 2027)

Otherwise I have no idea what the gently caress.

Waffles Inc. posted:

When I meant young players I mean like 18-23 year olds, who are basically not ever major league level talent, whereas in soccer a, say, 20 year old could be world class

I love baseball and OOTP, it’s just a mindset change is all :)

That makes sense, though I'd change your top end to like 21. But the money thing regarding being able to keep your players is still misleading. And if you're willing to put the time into it, you can keep your farm really well stocked by trading the guys you know you won't keep when they start getting close to free agency. My strategy was to trade away guys who were blocking prospects for positions that I didn't have well stocked in the farm. And if I found a guy that would sign long term for a team-friendly deal I'd keep him long term. That way I could augment my team via free agency because most of my team was making rookie salary or early arbitration (which is also very cheap).

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 10, 2018

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

WMain00 posted:

Somehow I now don't have a left field. I have no idea how the gently caress I did that, but this is bad. :stare:

convert another OF to left

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

What is "challenge mode"

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

tadashi posted:

3. Ratings inflation in the league due to players in the draft having too high of a ceiling (although it's much better than it was a long time ago)

The draft sort of corrects for this in waves. So the first couple drafts will be stacked, but then the next dozen or so will be dire.

I used to turn on pick trading because I thought it was a fun wrinkle but then I realized that it was too "overpowered" in trades because I could always just trade my top three picks for whatever I needed and the AI would value them very highly, then the draft class would come out and those picks would basically amount to a 2.5* (at best) and two 1* potential guys, unless you drafted relievers (I basically always drafted relievers).

note: I haven't played 19 so I guess I don't know if this is accurate but given that it's been consistent through the previous like four versions I see no reason they would have fixed it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

For some reason I skimmed past most of the rest of your post (the reason is I'm really tired) but more thoughts:

tadashi posted:

4. Players don't retire in a realistic manner (meaning young players with no chance of reaching the majors don't just retire after a couple years), so you end up with 5,000 free agents and it bogs down the league file.

I'm probably misremembering but I swear players who hit a certain age at a certain (bad) skill level will just auto-retire if they're not on a team or in the minors. I regularly prune my minor leagues by age to help keep the teams from getting too bloated.

quote:

You'll never see a Joey Bats, Justin Turner, or Jake Arrieta like transformation.

More anecdotal evidence that's probably tainted, but I feel like I've definitely seen stuff like this but it also might have just been a prospect who was in his early 20s in A or AA ball suddenly getting a huge boost to his potential and ratings.

Also it's pretty cool that the one league is still running, shame I never joined it I guess if I live near most of the people in it :v:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

If I can get it for a dollar like I did 18 I will probably do so but that's basically my price point until they fix the basic issues the game has instead of adding a new hat.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Will the website still make my eyes bleed or did you change it :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

oh, yeah that's definitely way different from when I looked like...seven years ago (lol)

But if you're upgrading to 19 soon I don't want to commit since I don't plan on buying the game unless it gets humble bundle'd for a dollar like 18 was

• Locked thread