Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So from the sounds of things, if I want to set up a totally custom league (say, 8 teams and I want to mess around with the ratings so the stats distribute themselves a certain way) OOTP is the best way to go?

Yeah, I'm wanting to make a kickball simulator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I was only going to post the amusing parts of this box score but... that's basically the whole thing. Highlights include the 13 run 9th inning ending with a 2 out grand slam to win it and the only extra base hit for Cincinnati being that grand slam. Yeah I'm hooked.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah I think I broke an error setting somewhere. Most of my other scores are coming out pretty close to normal though, so I'm not sure where it'd be.

edit: Welp, found it. I was messing around with some settings and hit "restore default" but apparently that doesn't reset the error ratings. The first half of the 2011 season will forever be known as the "Wet Ball Era" in my league.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 6, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Turning AI trading to easy makes it do pretty ridiculous things. I traded a half-star (four star potential) minor league SS for Bryce Harper (2.5 star 5 star potential,) then turned around and traded him on the same day for a 4 star, 5 star potential SS that is only 22.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Am I missing something when it comes to generating player pictures? I can do it for individual players but if I try to do it for everyone from the setup screen it just gives everyone a picture of the team logo.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can't compare it to 11 because I never got into it, but I really love 12. I'm 3 seasons in and I've only actually watched one game, game 7 of a world series I lead the Reds to. It'd be cool if my rear end in a top hat owner would stop taking as much as 23million out of my surplus at the end of the season though. Then
getting angry when we hit a bit of a slump the next season.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can't imagine many computers would have trouble with OOTP; there aren't really graphics as much as tons of spreadsheets and menus. The only thing that would change would be the time between days. I'm pretty sure there's a demo you can try to see if your computer can go through the turns acceptably fast.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Reds: 2016 World Series Champions.

Now if only I had the absurd amount of money that Joey Votto wants for an absurd amount of time.

I really wish that in the offseason you had some sort of say as to what league changes were going to be made.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 1, 2011

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
OOTP13 is available now if you preordered. I'm downloading right now.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Wow, I didn't even notice that feature. That's going to be a really fun game mode.

edit: How do you do that? I can't find the setting anywhere.

Fork of Unknown Origins fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 7, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nevermind, I found it. It's under "Historical" and then you just have to force a fantasy draft. I felt honorbound to take Johnny Bench in his prime (22) first seeing as I'm a diehard Reds fan. The next picks were Charlie Greggus, Tex Hughson, Jesse Tannehill and Rogers Hornsby. I kind of wish there were an option to only have players that started after a certain year so that there wouldn't be as many 1800s guys that I haven't heard of, but I have gained a new appreciation for how many obscure baseball players have wikipedia pages.

Also the "Real Life Stats" button was a fantastic decision. This is definitely a worthy upgrade to OOTP12.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
If you're doing historical draft it's best to only have one (or max 2) minor league levels. For now at least any more and you'll have to fill them all with fictional players.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So after a couple days of playing way too much of ootp13 I have to say it is a very worthy upgrade to 12. The GUI is mostly the same but better laid out and with better information where it belongs (full divisional standings on the team screen yesssss.) The bar is on the side now instead of the top but it's pretty much all the same menus and screens, just better.

The historical random debut thing is neat but needs a little work. I'm not sure how well it would balance long term if you have more than one or two minor league levels. I'll definitely mess around with it a bit once I restore the Reds to their rightful place as dominant team in the NL central.

It's not new but putting trading on 'easy' turns all other GMs into complete idiots. The only challenge at that point is deciding who off your allstar team to trade for all the best prospects when you run out of money.

So yeah, basically if you like the genre 13 is a must have. If you don't then 13 won't change that but I doubt anything would; it's 100% a niche game.

On a side note I got the football manager demo. It seems like it would be really awesome if I understood soccer at all, but sadly no.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So I just had my first draft in a MLB league and did they make rookies a LOT better? I was pulling 4.5 star potential guys way later than I'm used to, and that's with scouting accuracy set to high.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the new features sound really nice. I'm a statistics nerd so the new optional rating system where it goes from 20-80 with every 10 points (presumably with 60 being the middle) being one standard deviation is really exciting.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Being able to offer coaching jobs even when you have one already is very good.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
And those tiles are customizable right? That's going to be awesome. Can't wait to get home tonight and fire it up.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Nothing jumps out at me as missing from that list. Awesome.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
The UI improvements are substantial and the relative ratings are awesome. If you play it fairly regularly I'd say yeah, buy it now. If you only play every once and a while you can probably wait for the normal price drop around the all-star break.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There's nothing preventing you from downloading a mod with the MLB names and all, right?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Yeah, the all in one mod had everything, I was just making sure they didn't make them take it down.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Or you can go with the Bryan Price method and bat your Billy Hamilton first since, you know, steals?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Probably was going to wait on 18 but promotion/relegation is too fun not to mess with.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
You can customize OOTP to the point where you do as little as you like. It's an extremely customizable game.

That being said unless you care about making a promotion/relegation league or having the Negro Leagues available you could buy OOTP 16 and have mostly the same experience.

It's too bad what happened to Mogul, I liked it better when we had two legit options but it's just not anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I preordered so I've been playing for a few days. The interface takes a while to get used to so try and prepare yourself but honestly if you just want to play manager you'll only need like 10% of the screens. You can turn everything you don't want to deal with to AI control and cruise along.

• Locked thread