Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
There's a loving OOTP thread on SA well I never :v:

If Toona's pimping out the SCMLB, I'll take that cue to fill out the Rising Star League as well! We also operate over at BBSC so yeah registering an account is all hosed up for the moment but don't let that discourage you!

Anyway, the Rising Star League is a totally fictional baseball league. We're in our 13th season of online league play, though the league is actually in its 31st season. (who doesn't like a little extra history in their baseball league?)

Being completely fictional, as well as a "talent only" league (current player ratings are not displayed) it's not quite as friendly to brand new OOTP players, if only because OOTP does some kind of weird stuff from time to time and it helps if you're familiar with the game so you can avoid being misled occasionally. That said we welcome brand new players and it's really not that big of a deal and you guys are all probably smart enough to handle whatever but I figured I'd mention it.

Over the seasons I've tired of the incredibly low hit/miss ratio when it came to recruiting randoms from the ootpdev boards. We had a handful of open teams, but very recently we've siphoned off some newer goon members from Toona's recruitment here. We also have some goon members who have been around for much longer.

Still, there remain two available lovely teams. The Chicago Phantoms and the Vancouver Wolves. Both are aging former powerhouse organizations, so the cupboard is kind of bare. Should anybody be interested in giving the league a shot, feel free to get in touch with me. :) No rush, the 2020 season is winding down so there isn't much for a new GM to do with these teams besides get acclimated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

con posted:

I have an old old old account on BBSC. If I can remember the details I might sign up for this. What version of OOTP is this?

11, the latest version.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

RSL is now filled up with Goons. There may still be a spot or two in the near future as we clear possible dead wood, so if you're interested/will have time later you can also get in touch with me.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

A few months ago I posted here about an online OOTP league that I run, and I guess it's now about the time I do it again. I'm just going to copy most of this from my previous post because I am that lazy.

The Rising Star League is a totally fictional baseball league. We're currently in our 14th season of online league play, though the league has 32 seasons of history behind it.

Being completely fictional, as well as a "talent only" league (current player ratings are not displayed) it's not quite as friendly to brand new OOTP players...if only because OOTP does some kind of weird stuff from time to time and it helps if you're familiar with the game so you can avoid being misled occasionally. That said we welcome brand new players and it's really not that big of a deal and you guys are all probably smart enough to handle whatever but I figured I'd mention it.

Over the seasons I've tired of the incredibly low hit/miss ratio when it came to recruiting randoms from the ootpdev boards. We've had a few goons in the league since the beginning, and we've recently added even more.

Now, usually when I make a post about open teams I have nothing but lovely teams to offer. Not the case today. Here are the current available teams:

San Francisco Reds - It's been only 8 seasons since the Reds entered the league as an expansion team, but they've already been to two League Championships (World Series), winning one and falling last year to St. Louis in eight games. This year they put together one of the greatest on-paper pitching staffs ever, but bad luck and injuries have taken some of the luster off the club. Sure they're still 20 games over .500 in late August, but in this year's freakishly dichotomous Western Conference that currently makes them a playoff longshot. The team is built on a solid foundation of pitching and defense, and while this year they might have missed the boat, they'll be competitive for the foreseeable future.

Washington Senators - Like the Reds, the Senators are an expansion team. They've only been in existence for 10 seasons. Unlike the Reds, however, they've enjoyed absolutely no success at any point in their history. They've never had a winning season in those ten years. They've averaged over 110 losses for the last three seasons. However...this year they're just one game out of the playoffs as the calendar changes to September. Ok, ok, so they're 60-64. They currently play in what is hands-down the worst division in the league, and that means they have a shot...and a little human ownership could be the difference. Plus, beyond this year, their historical awfulness has given them some truly excellent prospects. (though perhaps with better ownership, they'd have even more) The Senators are starting their inevitable rise back to respectability, and it would be a good time to get in on the ground floor.

New York Patriots - The team that Washington is currently chasing, and the 61-63 team who would be in the playoffs if they started today, the Patriots have never had steady ownership for the entire lifetime of the league. Good players have come and gone, usually traded away in lopsided deals or set free in free agency, draft picks have come up and busted...the Patriots can't ever get out of their own way. But they have some good young players, decent prospects on the horizon, and the advantage of being able to compete for the postseason while sucking. Such is life in this terrible, terrible division.

Mexico City Guerreros - Another expansion team available? I'm just noticing that as I type this. We expanded south of the border, and Mexico City has sucked ever since. This team is saddled with such terrible contracts, and plays in one of the toughest divisions, I can't possibly suggest anybody take them right now. But if you'd like a challenge where you're completely hamstrung financially, well, here you go.

If you're interested in any of these teams, or you have questions about the league or about online leagues in general then just let me know. Post here or shoot me a PM or something. If you want to check out our league forums they're over here. There's a Rules Thread there that also contains useful information.

The league currently runs on OOTP11, however a decision has not been made whether or not we'll be converting to OOTP12. Having been burned on meager upgrades in the past, we're waiting to get a real good look at the next version first.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

tadashi posted:

Their home stadium is like the Polo Grounds without the short left/right field lines.

Did I mention they are built on pitching and defense?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

Not gonna lie, I was intrigued but after browsing the league page for a minute or so looking at the teams my eyes started bleeding and I decided it wasn't worth it

It's not a bug, it's a feature!

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

I never, ever remember to post about it here, but both the Rising Star League and Britannica League over at simcentral have some openings if there are any interested OOTP players.

The Rising Star League is about to enter its 27th season of play. With Opening Day happening later today, it's probably a terrible time for someone new to take over a bad team, but we actually have some teams with halfway decent rosters (and a handful of star players) available too. A new active GM could easily steer one of these teams to the playoffs if they took over right now, or they could get that rebuild started by packaging their star player away for peanuts (do not do this).

The Britannica League is about to close its 3rd season of play so it's a good time to get in and get prepared for a wild free agent frenzy. The Britannica League is a promotion/relegation league, with three tiers of play - the worst record each season is relegated down, while the winner of a four-team playoff is promoted up. With an 84-game schedule and completely level financial playing field, it's designed with faster-paced competitive battles for league supremacy in mind. If you're interested, get in now because it's really the perfect time.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

A web designer I ain't!

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

JosefStalinator posted:

Is it not too late to join the Brittanica League? I'm just waiting for my registration to be approved on the Simcentral forums, but I'm totally in as a newbie.

Edit: Seeing as only Nottingham is available, probably as them.

Not too late, but Nottingham is tentatively taken - I've added 5 new members in the last couple days. There will maybe/likely be one more opening still to come, though. Let me know the ID you registered with on the forums and I'll make sure you get activated and then follow up with you when I know for sure.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Still openings in the RSL and in the BL for anybody interested. Still early enough in the BL offseason where you can get in and turn a team around with some signings, but you'll have to jump right in quickly. RSL is coming up on midseason, so if someone prefers to take a team there so they can learn the lay of the land for a while, that's an option.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

With the release of OOTP15, I figure it's as good a time as any to remind everybody that there is no substitute for a good Online league. After you spend hundreds of hours trying to find the right coach/scout/league settings that handicap you enough to make playing with the AI an actual challenge, it still won't be as fun as playing alongside other human GMs.

So if anybody's interested, I have spots available in a pretty young promotion/relegation league that I run: http://buane.net/britannica/index.html

The league currently uses OOTP14, so actually anybody that only has OOTP15 would be out of luck. However with some of the OOTP15 features I've read about we could be looking at upgrading sometime in July (OOTP typically has a 50% off sale that coincides with the All-Star Break, and that's usually enough time for the Dev team to squash the bugs they couldn't get to in Beta).

Plenty of goons already in my leagues, so why not come watch your prospects bust and your star pitchers blow out their elbows amongst friends?

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

laceratedsky posted:

I'm interested in doing this, however, I am pretty new to OOTP overall. I own OOTP14 on Steam, but I wouldn't say I'm exactly setting the world on fire. Would this just end up spelling disaster for me in this league?

It's completely up to you. I'm talking about teams that don't have a GM currently, so it's not like you'd be stepping in and wrecking anything. They're pretty rudderless already. The available teams are in either the mid tier or bottom tier as well (promotion/relegation league, so teams potentially move up/down after each season) so you aren't competing against the cream of the crop right off the bat either.

The time requirements are pretty low too so it's not something you'd find yourself in over your head with - we sim on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, so you only need to put maybe 15-30 minutes of effort in every two days at a minimum. Maybe a bit more than that at certain periods of the offseason, but still nothing major. And if you're like some of us, you're free to spend all your spare time at work mulling over different permutations of your lineup.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

laceratedsky posted:

I'm interested in doing this, however, I am pretty new to OOTP overall. I own OOTP14 on Steam, but I wouldn't say I'm exactly setting the world on fire. Would this just end up spelling disaster for me in this league?

gardenald posted:

I might actually want to get in on this too, because obviously I'm not spending enough of my free time on fake baseball. I'll czech it out when I get home from work today

If you guys, or anybody else, is interested in joining the league just shoot me a PM or email GMYale atsymbol gmail period com

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

JosefStalinator posted:

Gotta rep the brittanica league, its fun and very simple for noobies.

Butane, if you see this, please email me the league files to my username at gmail. For some reason I can't login to simcentral without error, so if you ever responded there I never saw it. Would love to get the files before free agency :(

Made it with 24 hours to spare.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

OOTP WAR is pretty much a made-up stand-in for Real World WAR, and while it does an ok job at 'faking it' for the most part, I wouldn't really put a lot of faith into it when it comes to extreme outlier cases like that.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Do you still play OOTP15? Have you recently stopped playing because you're bored, or because baseball is in the offseason? Are you tired of pounding the AI's brains in with easy trades and free agent steals? Do you impose house rules designed to handicap yourself and make it harder to compete against the AI?

Well, maybe you need an Online League in your life!

Last time I came around looking for interest to fill some empty spots in my online league, we were sadly still on the previous OOTP version. Well, good news is, we're about to upgrade to OOTP15, and the $20 price tag means even if you DON'T own the latest version it's a perfect time to take the plunge. I promise you, you'll get at least $20 of enjoyment out of it.

So on the with the sales pitch:

I started the Rising Star League back in 2008, running OOTP...nine?...at the time. Since then we've chugged along through season after season, covering five versions of the game. We're about to put the finishing touches on our 30th online season, achieved in just a little over those 6 real-time years.

New to online leagues and wondering what your time commitment would be? Well, it's really up to you. During the regular season we simulate one week's worth of games every Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. That's a month of games every real-time week. During playoffs/offseason the schedule accelerates a bit, but just to keep things moving along. At the minimum, you can put in your 5 minutes of effort every couple days to check in on your team's progress, take care of your roster, and go on your merry way. Or you can put in as much time as you'd like tinkering, maneuvering your minor leagues, talking trades, checking out the league history, etc. - I know from first-hand experience that there's enough to keep you busy for hours a day, even when no games are being simmed.

The league itself will be pretty recognizable if you have any baseball experience at all, since it's very close in philosophy to real-world MLB. 162 games per season, 5 man rotations, that sort of thing. We do a couple non-standard things as a result of some league nip/tuck here and there over the years, but nothing major. This is just a regular baseball league.

For you OOTP vets, there's only a couple notable league-specific to mention. First is that this is a Potential Only league, meaning that 'current' talent ratings are hidden. Second, we play with coaching and scouting turned off, since we find it more fun to act as your own scouting/personnel department rather than be making decisions based off the game's RNG.

Anyway, that about sums up the league from a high level snapshot point of view. From time to time, we snobbish online leaguers grow frustrated with OOTP's lack of innovation from version to version and try to skip a version entirely (gently caress you OOTP12). I think we were leaning in that direction with OOTP15 but unfortunately there are enough open spots in the league currently that I feel we need to be on the latest version to grab some new blood.

We have open teams that would suit people of all skill levels and team preferences. Want to take over a team in good shape that gives you some leeway if you make some rookie mistakes? Check. Want to take over the worst team in league history with no record of success that you can mold into a winner? Got you covered. Never played an OOTP online league before? People like you are usually the most active & loyal participants, don't hesitate to let me know you're interested, I can walk you through the very easy initial setup.

We have a few goons who have been longtime members, and others who have had brief stints. So if you like OOTP but want to take it to the next level, let me know you're interested! Shoot me a PM, reply here in thread, whatever.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Kyyrewyyoae posted:

I'm interested and I have OOTP15. I haven't played in an online league before, and I'm no expert, but it sounds like fun. Don't have PMs, but my email is my username at gmail.com.

I'll drop you a line with some of the league specifics today, let you choose one of the open teams and then we'll go from there. Couple open teams spoken for so far.

Still a free spot or two remaining, if anybody else is interested! Now is definitely the best time to get in and join, we're concluding the League Championship in the next 48 hours, and then it'll be the start of the offseason. Getting in on the ground floor of the draft & free agency is a good idea!

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

One team left! Last bump as I look to fill our last remaining spot!

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Exodor posted:

I have a league I've been playing since OOTP6.5 . It's mid-April 2035 and I just converted to OOTP16 with no apparent problems.

Well, there's one - the aging reliever I was waffling on re-signing is now set as a goal by my owner and his asking price went from ~$4M in OOTP15 to ~$13M in OOTP16. :cry:

OOTP15 had no idea how to calculate market value for relievers at all, so this is probably a good change.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Revenant Threshold posted:

This is probably a dumb question so please do explain like I'm an idiot.

Where is this guy getting all that star rating improvement when he seems to have no real skill improvement potential?

It's just a blind spot in the OOTP ratings system. Happens from time to time, where the algorithm that determines a player's potential and the algorithm that determines a player's current worth are a bit at odds. Either his potential star rating will drop precipitously once he's no longer a "prospect" or his current ratings will rise rapidly as the last few skill points fill out.

Between weighing for defensive position, age, and speed ratings (especially speed ratings), OOTP sometimes just has one of these weird ratings perfect storms.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

The other issue is with injury flavor due to the fact they've coded injuries in an extremely simplistic way.

The game works off an injury database that lists injury names, injury 'flavor text,' min length and max length of that injury, and whether the injury can occur while throwing and/or running and/or hitting and/or playing defense.

So when an injury occurs, the first thing the game determines is how long the injury is for. Once it decides the length of the injury, it goes to the injury database and picks an injury that matches that possible determined length, and matches the injury type (running, throwing, etc).

So let's say the game determines your CF just suffered a 133 day injury while playing defense. In your injury database there are two types of injuries that can be 133 days long and that are flagged as defensive injuries - a concussion, or a torn achilles. It literally doesn't matter which one the game selects. There's no modifier that says a concussion is more likely to result in a loss of talent, or that a torn achilles is more likely to affect the player's defense or running speed in the future...any effects that the player's ratings suffer afterwards is just part of their global randomizer.

On a macro scale the injuries and the loss of talents all average out to a decent point, but on a micro scale, taken case-by-case, they rarely make any functional sense. Which is why it's real frustrating for a guy to suffer a broken jaw in a collision at second base and his power drops from 9 to 6 as a result.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

A lot of features of OOTP haven't been touched in a very long time. Fielding ability/ratings is complete trash and should have been overhauled 5 versions ago.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

In case anybody is interested, the Rising Star League is about to close the books on its 34th season and we have an open team in need of some steady new ownership. We're still running on OOTP15 however, and probably will not be upgrading until we (likely) move to OOTP17 next Summer, so OOTP16ers need not apply.

Here's the league homepage: http://buane.net/risingstar/html/leagues/league_100_home.html
The open team is the Phoenix Thunderbirds: http://buane.net/risingstar/html/teams/team_72.html

I'll be honest, Phoenix is kind of a down-on-its-luck franchise. They haven't made the playoffs in 31 consecutive seasons which is a reflection of the revolving-door stewardship of past GMs. Their minor leagues are nothing special right now, and they're about to lose their two top SPs to Free Agency, weakening an already league-worst pitching staff. They play in a division with Los Angeles, a team so young and well-rounded that it's doubtful they'll surrender the division crown any time soon.

It's not all bad, though. There aren't really any ugly contracts that a new GM would be saddled with, so there should be plenty of money to play with in Free Agency over the next few years. In fact there's almost not a dime of guaranteed money on the books 2 seasons from now, so you'd probably be able to remake the team entirely pretty quickly. And while the pitching staff is weak and about to get weaker, the lineup is actually solid, young-ish, and talented. There's even a few spots where just an upgrade to league-average would pay off tremendously (the AI force started a 40-year-old corpse in CF for 110 games last year, oops).

And even if the team doesn't compete for the new few years, you can always join the rest of us as we sit back and watch this guy re-write the record books:

Anyway, the League Championship is about to get underway, so the season should be complete in the next couple days and then we jump right into the draft and free agency. This means now is the perfect time to get in and start making decisions!

If anybody is interested, just let me know here or drop me a PM or an email (GMYale@gmail.com)

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Not trying to steal Armitage's thunder (the Super League looks awesome and you should all definitely join it) but my long-running online OOTP league is looking for a few new members as we've just made the conversion to OOTP17. We've been running since 2008 so we're about to enter our eighth year of existence and the league's 37th season overall. We've got a couple SAS members in the league already, and others who are past members. If you've never done an OOTP online league I highly recommend it, it's much more challenging than the AI and the time commitment is literally whatever you want to make it. And first-time online leaguers tend to make the best members, I've found!

Here's the post on the OOTPDev forums that I made that goes into a little of the league specifics: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/board/ootp-17-online-leagues/267343-rising-star-league-moves-ootp17.html

If anybody happens to be interested, just reach out to me here or via PM or via email.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

RSL still going strong, turns 10 years old in June :holymoley:

Upgrading from OOTP17 to OOTP19 this summer. Here's hoping everything doesn't break.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

Join the RSL, IcePhoenix, you'll never play a solo league again :getin:

We're upgrading from OOTP17 to 19 about 6 weeks from now. Online leagues are by no means perfect, but at least playing with other humans masks a lot of the more glaring & predictable flaws.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

I dunno, I guess click if you dare

http://buane.net/risingstar/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

https://statsplus.net/rsl/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

We're in 2053 currently. So maybe it's just an accurate, sad representation of the real world media's pivot to video and abandonment of print standards. :(

That genius Markus

• Locked thread