Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
So I've been playing this way too much since I bought it a couple weeks back and I think I have the hang of it. It's certainly helped me understand all the complicated systems of building a team and having farm teams below you, plus rule 5 drafts and arbitration hearings and whatnot.

Overall it's fun and I feel like I can build a good team from the get-go with fantasy drafts, but after I sim two years everything goes to poo poo. Adam Jones is having a great year, I re-sign him, he gets suspended three times, injured four times, and becomes a 21/21 overall by the end of the season batting .187. I pick up some great young pitchers who all have sterling ERAs and BABIPs, start them, they go 9.54 era for the season (I'm looking at you Pomeranz). What's the key to solidifying your team after the first few years? Good scouting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
How many players do you guys typically call up during roster expansion? I usually bring up one or two prospects to play backup in the field and then load my bullpen up with long relievers and middle relief. Usually around 8 or even max out the 15 additional guys.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just got this game on sale. Time to boot up a fantasy draft so I can try to build world class pitching in Colorado

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Year 3 of my Rockies franchise and my core of Syndergaard/Darvish/Maeda/Price/Tanaka is going strong. Too bad I can't find a closer worth a poo poo :argh:

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The more I play this game the more I feel like it's completely random. You can build super teams that just fall apart and sign guys that turn in stats that are completely opposite of what their scouted ratings are.

Like I'll have a guy who has huge home run power and no eye/contact and will easily produce a .320 average with great on base. Just doesn't make sense.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

rickiep00h posted:

Get better scouts.

You can sign the best scouts the game has to offer from the Taiwan and Korean leagues and get the same result. I've signed guys that have had career .270+ years every year that immediately go down to .220 the second they're on my team (which has top tier coaches too). You can build obvious super teams of Kershaw/Scherzer/Sale and have 4.00 eras. You can have a 1-4 of Trout/Harper/Goldschmidt/Stanton and finish randomly on runs and HRs, sometimes leading the league and sometimes falling to last place. You can reload your save, run the season, and have drastically different results.

Just feels too random.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think the injuries are fine and add a bit of fun to the game too. That way you're not sitting on unbeatable teams that are stagnating. I like having to desperately find a replacement for my ace pitcher or losing a freshly signed guy to a year injury.

ManifunkDestiny posted:

Welcome to baseball fandom

I get the randomness of baseball but the extremes are unrealistic in this game. I think it's safe to say that certain pro players have consistently proven themselves in real life enough to assume that they'd absolutely mash the league if you lined them up 1-4. They shouldn't all be finishing with either .220 averages or .330 averages. Also if a scout tells me a guy is a great contact hitter, his stats tell me he's a great contact hitter, and he gets to my team and puts up a .200 average, I'm going to be a little miffed and feel cheated.

I'm just saying they could have tightened up the extremes because right now it just feels like nothing I do in this game really matters.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
My last sim had Tony Zych somehow becoming the best reliever of all time

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

You're not required to pay anything, it's just the recommended bonus that someone taken with that pick should receive.

Yeah gently caress that if their demand is 100,000 and the slot is 1.5 mil they're getting a 90k offer.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Doghouse posted:

Why isn't there a fantasy baseball thread yet, yahoo fantasy drafts start tomorrow wooo

Why so early? I don't think I did my draft last year til March.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Friend gifted me OOTP 19 so back down the rabbit hole I go

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
The new version is the exact same as the old version (3d parks are cool but meh). It's not a bad thing. It's just the same thing. Same loading times too, funnily enough.

This game could just desperately use a little mini game attached to it for me to keep buying.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Baseball trading is kinda nuanced. OOTP 19 does a better job of it where they really value prospects, ace pitchers, or catchers with great arms. OOTP 18's trading is still a bit too easy where you can loot a team for all its worth.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

IcePhoenix posted:

Star ratings I believe are relative to position, it's possible that there's a fuckton of ridiculously good shortstops in his league right now (note that it's 2027)

That's exactly what's going on... I'm pretty sure. You never know with OOTP.

It looks like it's set to players relative to his position which would explain the low overall since only his contact is currently rated at 50 (he's also doing increments of 5 with max cap on). There's probably a ton of short stops that are all speedy and can hit decently in his save file. His potential looks about right too since he'll cap out at 60/60 for contact/hr. OOTP also seems to have changed it's value on players as OOTP18's CPU would trade me anything for my speedy defense guys but now won't give me peanuts for them in OOTP19.

Either way I don't play with star ratings since they're vague compared to getting the scout overall/potential.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

I'm doing "challenge mode" with the royals and it is loving HARD

They have it all: no farm system, albatross contracts, a small market, a penny pinching owner

I haven't been this challenged and annoyed by OOTP in a long time and it owns

Try Miami if you really want to shoot yourself in the head. I've never hated Wei-yin Chen before but that guy managed to ruin any semblance of free agency for the first three years of that franchise. I don't understand how real life GMs are dumb enough to give him 20 mil a year when he's clearly over the hill and not good in the first place.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Mr. Fix It posted:

I love this game:

Also, there's this ace closer named Chris Cocks that seems to sign a new one year deal every year. I like to imagine he's the Kenny Powers of the game's universe.

During my Marlins campaign my third basemen asked me to donate to a charity even though I was already strapped for cash. So I donated the money to charity to avoid the negative penalty then I demoted him to low A and kept him there was a 27 year old.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

rickiep00h posted:

I’ve played up to 18 and the ratings system as a whole seems like black magic to me. Neither the OSA nor scout system seems reliable in any sort of way nor reflective of the stats or performance of the players in a season. I know there’s a fair amount of guesswork in baseball as a whole, but I don’t wonder if the ratings actually actively make the experience worse from a gaming perspective. It doesn’t feel like a tool to me, but an overly punishing puzzle.

And I’ve been wondering if it’s any better in 19, but I also don’t want to spend the money to find out.

It's gotten a bit better. Guys who are top rated in certain categories tend to have their stats play out over a long season to mimic their ratings. I almost never see top rated players in that game do poorly, at least compared to OOTP17. Also turning the ageing down to .650 helped immensely. No longer do players who turn 29 lose every bit of their ability to hit, pitch, or field a ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd be tempted to get in on that. How much attention do I have to pay to it on average?

• Locked thread