Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gardenald posted:

I know exactly what you mean

If history had a sense of justice... :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I feel completely overwhelmed by OOTP (playing 8 so I can check it out before I buy) but at the same time I think I am hopelessly addicted.

How does development work? Do I need to re-scout players to see their development, or will the game just update those? Also, how busy should I be not to screw myself?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 30, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

gyroball posted:

OOTP 11 comes out in a week and you can still preorder it for $10 off.

Also it will now have custom batter walk-up music :psyduck:

I rarely ever even watch the games :psyduck:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Is there a way to get warmed up to OOTP without being completely overwhelmed? Trying to manage 3 levels of minors plus the MLB team right off the bat was a little much for me. I dunno, maybe I was just micro-managing too much.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I have to admit, I'm really impressed with OOTP's in-game management. Shawon Dunston went down with an injury, so it substituted an outfielder as pinch runner and then made a defensive substitution in the next inning. I'm used to console games which I'm guessing would have substituted a position-appropriate player right away.

Also: no-hittter in the first game I managed since re-installing OOTP. :cool:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I started a historical game in 1988. Modern players really are pussies. I forgot how teams had to win almost 100 games to make the post-season in the late 80's/early 90's.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Expiration Date posted:

I think I'm done with OOTP until they patch this crap. Something is horribly wrong.

I have a guy who I signed in the offseason I really liked, has a 70 rating overall, plays every single position except catcher and has good stats at all of them. He's primarily playing 2B and SS and only 5m/year. He was hitting .285, +ZR in all defensive spots, etc etc. This is a guy I'd pay 10m/year if I had to.

Roster Expansion times comes up, I hit the AI promote guys button AND THE AI loving WAIVES HIM. THERE WAS NO loving NEED TO WAIVE A GODDAMN PLAYER LEAVE THE 23 YEAR OLD KID IN AAA.

The AI loving waived a guy with a 36.6 VORP. Why would it EVER EVER EVER EVER do this? In September. With a first place loving team.

I don't want to have to over-micro this game but I just lost a 25-year old super versatile guy who doesn't suck, and I got absolutely nothing for him. gently caress.

I put in a ticket to get the bug fixed that allows this to happen, but who loving knows. :qq:

the problem is that it's not really a bug, it's bad AI. A lot of the AI moves in ootp don't make sense and I feel like there is more micro-management than I'd like. There seem to be certain combinations of skills that gently caress up the algorithms in in ootp. Right now, the ai in my historical league is in love with Dave Martinez. I mean he's above average in several categories, but why would I start him ahead of Griffey who has the potential to hit 40 HR so long as the ai stops benching him?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

You can actually force the CPU to start players at certain positions in the Game Strategy menu on a player's profile. I always had my infielders starting in the wrong positions until I figured that one out.

I'm definitely doing this. Is there anyway to tell it to rest a player if they incur day-to-day injuries? Some of my players are hurt all the time and it sucks to try to win with terrible players.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I swear they put some sort of code into OOTP 8 (the free version) that makes your star players likely to get hurt. I've been starting players I've never heard of for a month but it's still the best players on the team who tear tendons.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Expiration Date posted:

That happens to me way too often in the real thing too so it's just some wacky pseudo-random code.

Here's a fun bug that I'm not reporting (because I like this one). I had a guy who was 24 and starting his arbitration years. He wins arbitration for 9.5m/season. He promptly gets hurt in a "motorcycle accident" and is out for 14 months.

The game for whatever reason while he was on the 60-day DL, voided his contract. He started the next season on a minor league deal and played for a full season at league minimum. He then only managed a 2.5m arbitration deal and 5 the year after that. Good times. Saved me a lot of money.

Of course then there's the time I signed Albert Pujols at 22 mil/season and he promptly broke his shin in spring training and was out for the year. Then he couldn't come back from the injury and retired at the end of the season. THANKS.

I'm up to five starters out. I think I'm ditching this entire historical game for another one.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Paramour posted:

So guess who just traded Joe Blanton for Jesus Montero and a few other prospects?

Anyway, I somehow managed to get a bug where I traded Brad Lidge for David Wright, Jose Reyes, and Johan Santana. I still have no clue how that happened.

The game thinks that Lidge is a God, that Wright can't hit left handed pitching, that Reyes isn't that great of a contact hitter, and that Santana is past his prime.

I'm just stabbing in the dark here.

Sometimes it's really hard in OOTP to remember to actually look at a player's ratings and not just base your lineup or trades on what you expect a player will do.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Expiration Date posted:

The roster moves as in up/down/released/etc I don't think you can do anything about those. Sorta sucks, sometimes your AI manager has poor evaluation skills. (or, scouts do and a highly rated guy sucks and a low rated guy wins 20 games).

I've been trying to play the game from Rookie league up. OOTP's AI clearly hasn't studied Beane ball much. What I'm finding in A ball is that the AI GMs will often send one of my best hitters down simply because his attributes aren't registering high enough. There's no reason to send down a guy hitting .320, I don't care if his scouting report sucks.

They also love to leave me with 1 middle reliever, 2 setup men, and a closer to cover all of my relief needs.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 17, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr.Showtime posted:

My position draft picks in OOTP always go from being potential 4's to a 1 and their potential stats implode in the rookie league. wtf

The potential stars are given by your scouts so they are biased according to your scouts strengths and weaknesses. You want to look at the guy's actual attributes and not just the stars, too. Gap Power or Baserunning Instincts on their own are useless but high contact with gap power might get you somewhere. Be sure to scout the entire draft with all of your scouts. You can see how long it's going to take your scouts to complete their next task and you can see when the amateur draft is, so plan accordingly.

Also, sometimes it's better to take a guy who is currently 2 stars but will only achieve 3 1/2 over a guy who has 1 star but should grow into 4.

It looks like the AI of OOTP was actually written by every Cubs GM. Who cares if you have an awesome pitcher in the minors? Just make sure you play the guys with major league contracts a lot so you look like you're not wasting money.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

I take that back, the game thinks Chicago is a small market, as in less than 10/20.

Check out the "Preceding year balance" part of the owner page. Looks like Mr Aruba is lining his pockets from the success I've acheived.

(Clickable thumbnails so as not to break the board.)

Congratulations, you're the 1992 Cubs!

I bought OOTP 11 yesterday and it is lightyears better than OOTP 8. The best part is that all that scouting mini-game bullshit is gone. I don't like that I don't have a GM home page with links to everything anymore, though. I liked the old GM home page insttead of this page that just gives useless suggestions like, "Maybe you should check the waiver wire."

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Mr.Showtime posted:

I don't generally look at stars but at the real stats.

Can someone give a short tutorial on how to scout properly?

I should have asked which version of OOTP you're playing. 8 and 11 are different in how scouting works.

If you're using 8, each of your scouts has strengths and weaknesses. If you're looking at hitting ability, you should trust the scout with "19" in "Scout Hitting" over the scout with 12. You also have different scouting reports on players. You want to trust more recent reports over older reports. Strategically speaking, I keep my scouts working all the time. Priority one is to make sure that you have some scouts available when the first year player draft is announced. You can scout the entire draft starting that day. Other than that, you can keep your scouts busy in different ways. It seems like it doesn't take as long to scout teams in your region than teams farther away. Sometimes I just start at the top of the list of MLB teams and scout my way through everyone. It helps to take a break every once in a while to scout your own organization.

Of course, you can also use the game options to run full SISA scouting reports on the whole leage at any time. It's kind of like cheating except there's no penalty.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

[[ Please wait, retrieving information... ]]

Mr.Showtime posted:

Nah I'm using 11.

Oh. Then the scouting is way simplified and mostly passive.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Bob Shabazz posted:

I'm just trying to imagine the reaction if this actually happened

I wish that would happen in one of my games.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

One thing I notice about OOTP is that it considers Ryne Sandberg injury prone. He is on the DL all the time, which is completely untrue of his career. He played 150 games from the time he became a full time starter until the year before he retired.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I hate how Lefty hitters are almost always terrible against lefty pitchers in OOTP. Also, this is almost always the career of Griffey, jr., in OOTP. I always try to trade for him as soon as he's available and then ship him off for prospects when I think he's about to fall off a cliff.

Also, I found a bug earlier that allowed me to trade an average rookie league pitcher for Manny Ramirez (mid-season while hitting .308/.391/.513) and about 4 prospects in 1994.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Aug 25, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Male. Bi. Unix. posted:

St. Louis Cardinals and Chicago Cubs, I think (SLN = st. louis national league, as opposed to the SLA st. louis browns)

Personally I change those to SLC and CHC but I think two letters + N or A for league is the default

I always change that in the beginning but the AI changes it back at the end of the first season. I hate how it just uses city names in news articles and stuff like the best minor league systems because I don't know who it's talking about.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Thee OOTP development team has announced that it will stop updates for 11 in order to focus on finishing OOTP 12. Sounds good to me.

Also, in my 2010 league, Major League Baseball has extended the arbitration requirement to 6 MLB service years. As I am currently managing the KC Royals, :awesome:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I've noticed a major hole in the trading AI in OOTP. If a team has massively overrun their budget for a season, it's possible to trade them incredibly mediocre players for whatever you want so long as you have the budget room. It's hard not to exploit this hole every time it arises (say when the LA Dodgers realize they are broke).

Also, is it my imagination, or don't players who receive suspensions due to conduct in the playoffs usually have those suspensions transferred to the first games of the next season? I don't know if this has ever actually happened in real life...

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP 11 is 50% off until November 3rd. Development on 11 has stopped so they can work on 12, but I still enjoy it.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/newsletters/nl0069/

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Inside Outside posted:

After one season in OOTP I had to turn all that dynamic season stuff off. The Marlins moved to Austin out of nowhere!

I think historical games are less dynamic, except for expanding on time. I've been playing my current game since 1989 and it's now 2007 and there hasn't been anything crazy. For some reason, the start of the season keeps moving back more and more. The All-Star game now takes place in June and we are done with the regular season in September.

I kind of love the random incidents, though. Nick Swisher just took a header for a career ending concussion after playing 2 1/4 seasons with 122 HR and career OPS of .959. Even in an alternate reality, thinks don't work out for him as planned. Frank Viola as a HOFer owns, though.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Nov 4, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I traded for one of OOTP's trademark overpowered randomly generated players as a 22 year old minor leaguer and made it a point to build a team around him. I was trying to see if I could get a career Rocky into the HoF

500 HR, 1500 RBI, and 4 gold gloves (he had a 20 in every infield position when I got him) later:

:unsmith:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

LtGen Chesty Puller posted:

I just sent you a PM about a league opening :)

Also, if anyone else is interested in joining an OOTP 11 league,

http://www.toonathecat.net/scmlb/news/html/leagues/league_100_home.html

The Dodgers and Orioles are currently open. The league has its own forum on a different message board, but there are several goons already in the league.

Thanks!

I'm interested and would take either team. I've been playing OOTP 11 a lot since mid-summer but I haven't played in an online league before so I'd need a quick catch up on what I need to know in order to not piss people off.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I would like the Orioles, so that works out well. I registered on the other forums as Tadashi. I'm waiting for activation. It looks like Wieters and Markakis are living up to their expectations in this league. I'm anxious to get in and at least give Baltimore's minor league a shake up. It looks like there are a lot of players in the system that need to be moved around. I have never seen this many pitchers in a rookie league roster....

tadashi fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 29, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tavarin posted:

Yeah, the admins don't give a poo poo about it anymore, but went to needing activation because of spammers. :smith:

That must make communication a little difficult. Do you guys use your irc channel much?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I will take an RSL team if you can't find any new players who want it. Is anyone managing those teams at all at the moment, or are they being completely simmed?

tadashi fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Dec 2, 2010

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

How many people are now waiting for authorization on the SimCentral forums?
<- raises hand

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

con posted:

I just upgraded to windows 7 and OOTP X won't start up for me after a fresh install. Do I need to run in compatibility mode or something?

edit: Yes I do, nevermind.

Yeah, I run mine off my old Vista installation.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Roster tab under team men
View: batting stats
Split: Last Year
Double Split: vs. left hand

Thanks. I just assumed this was another one of those OOTP bugs you had to deal with. I never thought of trying under the Roster tab.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Roster tab under team men
View: batting stats
Split: Last Year
Double Split: vs. left hand

Actually, this doesn't work for me. It doesnt't actually do the Left/Right split. That is to say, the numbers don't change when I add in the left or right part under Double Split. It still just shows me overall for last year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Buane posted:

San Francisco Reds - It's been only 8 seasons since the Reds entered the league as an expansion team, but they've already been to two League Championships (World Series), winning one and falling last year to St. Louis in eight games. This year they put together one of the greatest on-paper pitching staffs ever, but bad luck and injuries have taken some of the luster off the club. Sure they're still 20 games over .500 in late August, but in this year's freakishly dichotomous Western Conference that currently makes them a playoff longshot. The team is built on a solid foundation of pitching and defense, and while this year they might have missed the boat, they'll be competitive for the foreseeable future.

Their home stadium is like the Polo Grounds without the short left/right field lines.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Buane posted:

Did I mention they are built on pitching and defense?

Sorry this is what I meant to point out, too. Big stadium, good pitching/defense.

Also, managing the Mets in an offline Sim has shown me just how hosed that franchise is.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Feb 17, 2011

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

Welp. Reinstalled OOTP 11. Not like I had anything productive to do anyway. Should I bother getting involved in an online league with 12 coming out in the spring?

That said, is there a thread or a list of Goon-run leagues for 11?

PM Buane or LtGen Chesty Puller here on SA or go to https://www.simcentral.net and check out the SCMLB. There may or may not be teams available. The Royals, Angels, Marlins, and White Sox all have new managers, I think. The previous Royals manager lasted about 2 weeks.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Cheezymadman posted:

Decided to sim from 1901 to 2011 in a historical league, without recalculating ratings or letting the game "doctor" stats to make them more realistic, just to see what would happen.

I'm at 1914 so far, and I've already seen a weird one. Cy Young retires in 1906 (five years early) with only 376 wins (135 short of his real life total). Also, Babe Ruth and Ty Cobb are both playing for the Phillies. :wtc:

Let me skip ahead for you: Derek Jeter has a short career playing mostly second base.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

OOTP 12 released on April 14. Has anyone bought it?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tavarin posted:

Haha, OOTP never comes out on time.

Markus has been focusing on his horseshit iOOTP project, so OOTP 12 hasn't even gotten to beta testing yet, and as of this point doesn't even have a release date. They're hoping for somewhere in May, but who knows.

I guess I should have actually checked before assuming Markus did something correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

con posted:

It's pretty realistic. Some guys will never achieve their potential no matter what, once in a while you get a 2* Potential guy who has a few years where he puts up MVP/Cy Young numbers. The most important thing with developing talent in my opinion is to not rush players. Some guys needs to stay in Rookie/A/A+ ball a few years until moving them up into AA/AAA. I really like to draft guys with high work ethic and intelligence ratings as that seems to reduce the volatility in my opinion, but everyone has their preferred qualities in players.

I feel like the best thing to do is just let the AI manage your minor leagues with a few exceptions. After a whole lot of seasons, I've rarely seen it cause a player to crash due to moving them up too quickly or holding them down too long. The only time I change things is if I have a prospect I want to learn a new position.

The thing about OOTP is that, like in life, if you are only focusing in on one or two players then you are dealing with a tiny sample size. Don't bet that your 5 star player in rookie ball will develop. Always keep looking around to see who else is out there.

• Locked thread