Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
99%, what loving virtual rear end in a top hat didn't vote for randy "jesus christ" johnson

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I just simmed the 2001 season in OOTP12 with the Oakland A's while running a 3-man rotation, which apparently will cause Hudson, Zito, and Mulder to transform into the father, the son, and the holy ghost. I was first of all shocked that none of their arms exploded when I forced them to start 50 games and pitch nearly 300 innings apiece, but I did not expect the season that ultimately transpired.

these three idiots are going to get so loving paid in a couple years (by a team that isn't me)

not listed, but equally ridiculous, are Hudson, Mulder, and Zito's WARs of 7.7, 7.4, and 5.9, respectively, which, if plugged into the actual 2001 season's stats, would place them first, second, and fourth (the real Mike Mussina had a 6.5 WAR that year [7.7 in the simmed season lolwhat]) on the AL pitcher WAR leaderboards

Aided by Jason "Baseball Jesus" Giambi, the fake A's went 97-66, defeating the Mariners in a 1-game playoff for the West before beating Minnesota in the ALDS and losing the ALCS to the Yankees in 7 games.

more comedy: Hudson and Mulder placed second and fourth on the AL pitcher WAR leaderboards for the simmed season because sim Andy Pettitte put up a 9.8 WAR out of loving nowhere :psyduck:

e: CUBS OVER YANKEES IN SEVEN :psypop:

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 26, 2011

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I used my first-round draft pick on Hee-Seop Choi. I'm (not so) secretly hoping he turns into a god in this magical fantasy universe.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
the hitting outside of giambi, chavez, and tejada was, in a few words, serviceable but not great (vastly improved in 2002 by the addition of hee-seop choi)

that 97-66 record was actually underplaying their pythag by 7 wins, presumably because the 571 runs allowed by my pitching staff was the lowest in the AL by some 70 runs (the yankees were the only other team who allowed less than 700 runs), while the offense only scored 776 (8th in the AL)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
one of these things is not like the others

one of these things just doesn't belong

can you tell which thing is not like the others

before i finish this song

i love this loving game

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Arctic Baldwin posted:

How was Chase Utley on the Royals and the Angels?
I had a draft class get bugged out and created doubles of a bunch of guys (Mark Teixeira was drafted by both myself and Toronto... guess which incarnation turned out way better)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
kevin millar just chopped off the fingers of his left hand in a lawnmower accident and is apparently planning a comeback

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

CraigK posted:

Kal Daniels was a really, really good athlete whose knees sabotaged him; if you're playing with ratings based on historical stats it's not surprising he becomes a monster so often.

That's before the first of many knee injuries.
this literally just happened:

this is how highly OOTP thinks of Kal Daniels

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Another good thing to remember is that, by default, a player's star ratings are relative only to players at their position, not to every player in the league. So moving that 5-star third baseman over to first will probably cause a drop in his star rating, while a mediocre starter may turn into a higher-rated reliever, despite their underlying numbers being the same.

e: jesus christ how did i not notice until now that you're playing BBM and not OOTP. wow. ignore this post i guess

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 26, 2012

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I saw Doc Gooden win four straight Triple Crowns, 1985-1989. Yeah, he actually won it in 1985, and yeah, he was loving amazingly good at the time in reality, but when it's basically him alone being responsible for keeping you out of the playoffs those four years, that still makes it pretty loving frustrating. (In 1990, Gooden declined slightly, the Mets faded late and finished 80-82, allowing my Cardinals to squeak past the resurgent Pirates on the last day of the season, only to lose to the Padres in 7 in the NLCS, making Tony Gwynn my new object of hatred.)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
Pete Rose got elected to the Hall Of Fame in his first year of eligibility.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
no lie, at one point i had like the top third of my active roster listed as untouchable just to keep the cpu from offering me garbage for my stars

VINCE COLEMAN FOR A 43-YEAR-OLD TOM SEAVER

HOW CAN I LOSE

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
my game generated an international prospect named Toyoaki "Stormin' Norman" Kobayashi

never change, OOTP. never change.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
dat facegen

looking more awkward than the real a-rod

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I'm pretty sure this is gaming the system terribly, but I just used OOTP's "Shop Player" function to turn Gregg Zaun into Hideo Nomo, and Ken Dixon into Mike Piazza.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

con posted:

Somewhere out there is a player who can never be injured. He is "unbreakable" in a sense.

Name: Mark
Nickname: Big Mac
Turn-Ons: mashin' taters, drawin' walks, strikin' out
Turn-Offs: hits that aren't home runs, stolen bases, defense

the only injury he sustained in his entire career was a bruised knee in spring training one year that kept him out for less than a week

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
got bored today and ran a 110-year sim, 1901 to the end of 2011.

Batting Highlights:
  • The single-season home run record was set in 1961, and still stands... 73 home runs, hit by Gordy Coleman.
  • Gordy Coleman also holds the career home run record, with 600 in a 13-year career. Adam Dunn is the only active player in the top 10, with 563.
  • The career hits leader is Ed Delahanty, with 3883, 2795 of which were singles (also a record). Pete Rose retired with 2182 hits.
  • Lou Gehrig tore his labrum and retired after only 7 seasons with the Pirates, but not before putting up a .398/.501/.769 line in 1928, still the best single-season OPS.
  • The last player to hit over .400 was Jim Bottomley, in 1922.
  • Barry Bonds remained skinny for his entire career, putting up a .255/.380/.496 line with 464 HR and 818 SB. He retired in 2004, and is not in the Hall of Fame.

Pitching Highlights:
  • Don Drysdale ascended into godhood, pitching from 1956 to 1980 and putting up a career line of 403-317 (record for both wins and losses) with 5066 strikeouts (1st place by some 1400 K's) in 6908 IP, with a 2.98 ERA and 1.12 WHIP.
  • The single-season strikeout record? 355, set by Mark Prior in 2005
  • Most of the top ERA and WHIP seasons are still from the dead-ball era... with the exception of Mark Prior's 1.53 ERA and .825 WHIP in 2005.
  • Nobody has ever reached 30 wins in a single season.
  • The career saves leader is Tom Niedenfuhr, with 679. The closest active player is Pedro Martinez, with 571.
  • Babe Ruth had a mediocre 15-year pitching career.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
More interesting stuff from my sim:
  • Nobody has ever hit 4 home runs in a single game. The only player to hit 3 home runs in a postseason game is Jimmy Bloodworth. "Who the gently caress is Jimmy Bloodworth?" is probably the question you are asking yourself right about now.
  • Ryan Braun won the batting Triple Crown in 2011 (.340 AVG, 48 HR, 139 RBI). Justin Morneau did it in 2007 (.360 AVG, 62 HR, 158 RBI).
  • The record hitting streak is 45 games, set in 1938 by Hank Greenberg. Second place is Roberto Alomar, with 40 games in 1994.
  • Three pitchers (Randy Johnson, Cole Hamels, and Kerry Wood) have struck out 18 batters, the record for a 9-inning game. The record for any length is 22 Ks, by Rube Waddell; this was done in 18.1 IP.
  • Plenty of no-hitters have been thrown (the most in a single year is 6, in 1914), although nobody has pitched more than two. Only three pitchers have tossed perfect games (Hersh Freeman, 1959; Jim Palmer, 1979; Floyd Bannister, 1985).
  • Multiple franchises have never won a World Series: the Rockies, Royals, Angels, Brewers, Mets, Padres, Mariners, Rays, Rangers, and Blue Jays. The longest championship drought belongs to the White Sox, who won their lone title in 1927, although they have made the playoffs five times in the past decade. The Twins have not won since 1944, when they were still the Washington Senators. The Athletics have won 13 titles, eight of which came between 1978 and 1993; they also made the playoffs 15 straight years, from 1977 to 1991. The Yankees are second with 10 championships.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

uggy posted:

Ya, I don't know why it's interesting but it really is so if people want to keep posting these, I will keep reading them.
it's because we're all secretly hoping for gyroball come out of nowhere and finish season 3 of let's play bbm and this is the closest thing we have anymore

i think i'm going to run my game until like 2030 or so tonight, see how the present-day players pan out

e: just saw the first serious run at a .400 batting average in a long time in 2014; some random fictional prospect named Herb Van Tessel carried a .401 average a week past the All-Star break, and finished the year at .385

Moe_Rahn fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 12, 2012

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
simmed until 2035. that was loving interesting.

hitting:
  • Lots of fictional players breaking records. The new single-season OPS record belongs to "Bo Peterson", who put up a truly Bondsian .389/.506/.834 line in 2034. Two fictional players have also hit 75 home runs, while another hit .392 in 2023.
  • Adam Dunn is the all-time home run leader, with 1175. The only other real players in the top 10 are Albert Pujols (5th, 774), Justin Morneau (6th, 770), and Carlos Pena (8th, 636). Alex Rodriguez retired in 2012 with 522 dingers (23rd overall), below Miguel Cabrera (537, 19th), Jose Reyes (544, 17th), Adrian Gonzalez (554, 16th), and Jay Bruce (597, 13th).
  • Adam Dunn is also now the all-time leader in hits (3899), runs scored (2922), rbi (2817), total bases (7998), and walks (3132). The highest number of intentional walks he drew in a single season was 20. He hit 60 or more home runs in a season five times. He had two 30/30 seasons.
  • Adam Dunn has a career WAR of 207.60. The closest real player is Albert Pujols, with a 126.64 WAR.
  • Nobody has hit ever 4 home runs in a single game.

pitching:
  • Mark Prior is the new career strikeout leader, with 5105. He also has a 380-162 W-L, good for the second-most wins all-time. Prior and Drysdale are the only pitchers with over 5000 Ks, although Yovani Gallardo had 4502 and Clayton Kershaw had 4442 (the only real players with over 4000).
  • Rick Ankiel had a long and fruitful pitching career, winning 184 games and fanning 3174.
  • Joba Chamberlain is 2nd place all-time on the saves leaderboard with 579.
  • Kerry Wood has the second and third-most strikeouts in a single season, with 344 (2004) and 340 (1999). Wood has 3466 strikeouts, a 3.83 ERA, 1.35 WHIP, and 189-135 W-L. He is not in the Hall of Fame.
  • Nobody has thrown a perfect game since 1985.
  • Jordan Zimmermann has pitched three no-hitters.

other:
  • The Royals, Angels, Brewers, Mets, Padres, Rays, Rangers, and Blue Jays still have not won a World Series. Both of the championship droughts from my previous post are intact.
  • Carlos Zambrano is a Hall of Famer.
  • ADAM "loving" DUNN. .302/.443/.619 CAREER

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I had potential based on peak seasons, because I think it's more likely to create amazing poo poo that way.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Armitage posted:

^ have you seen a team relocate once you get past 2011? I turned League evolution on in mine. I haven't simmed as ffar as you have.
actually i was hoping this would happen, but by 2035 nobody had moved, and no rules had changed. then i went to the game options and found out that league evolution had been turned off the whole time :doh:

Armitage posted:

but there's always a few real life superstars that end up busting out for one reason or another
Nolan Ryan spent his entire career as a reliever in my sim, and retired in the early 80s with roughly 800 strikeouts.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

LordPants posted:

Also, I demand to know how Jim Bouton pitched in all your historical games.

4.30 FIP, 76.9 WAR, 1.984 WHOOPS. Naturally, he's in the Hall of Fame.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if you don't play Mark McGwire at third base then you can just get the gently caress out

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
"realistic modern day" is really more along the lines of "realistic 2009 new york mets"

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm pretty hooked on iOOTP, having lead the Virginia Beach Orcas to league champions two seasons in a row despite being a total non-American noob at baseball. I also have OOTP 8 on the PC and hoping to pick up OOTP 9 if it goes on Steam-sale this summer.
don't do this, OOTP 9 is something like four years old now and AFAIK isn't incredibly different from 8

if you want a newer version, save up a little scratch and spring for '13

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
I had to go see if Peter Angelos really has a son named Michael because that would be too perfect. (He doesn't.)

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
if your entire team strategy doesn't revolve around "dingers and walks and hope the pitching doesn't fall apart (the pitching is going to fall apart)" then it is clearly inferior

I took over the St. Louis Cardinals in 1985 with the stated goal of "gently caress Whiteyball in its dumb rear end, burn it to the loving ground":

I'd say I managed to do that pretty effectively. Looking at these starters, you can tell pretty much the exact point where I started rebuilding (in the 2002 draft, I had SIX picks in the first/sandwich rounds). Made the playoffs in '90, '91, '95, '96, and '98, but never won a championship. The pitching was/still is a shameful shitshow (even in the playoff years) so I'm not going to post about it except for the five words, "Bruce Chen, Number One Starter".

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Inside Outside posted:

My favorite OOTP story was when Zack Cozart went on the DL because he hurt his shoulder chopping firewood in the middle of July. A couple of weeks later I got another news story where he admitted that the story was a lie to cover up his extramarital affair.
I once had a game where Kevin Millar came back from chopping off all the fingers of his left hand in an incident with a lawnmower.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

oldskool posted:

:psyboom:
I don't know what's more impressive: Granderson hitting 61 HRs, 77 wins in the modern era with the team leader having 2 saves, a team leading the league in average, HRs and ERA finishing 4 games under .500, or a team going 40 games under their Pythagorean.
also note the 1166 runs scored by the offense, which completely shatters the existing record

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
what the

OOTP 14 posted:

Harper Sees Game Improvements Due to Adoption of Buddhism

While typically a change of religion wouldn't be hot news, the improvements that Bryce Harper has made on the field seem to be directly related to his offseason conversion. "I don't know what it is," said Harper, "but since I converted, I noticed that it is easier to relax and concentrate. I can really focus on the ball and keep my cool." Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson agrees. "This guy is a whole new guy. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it. He went from kind of a hothead to cool as a cucumber."

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

quote:

Aaaaand finally, this happened.

I would give almost anything to see a 320 pound 36 year old Jason Heyward lumber up to the plate 300 times a year.
This happened to me in OOTP 14, someone on their staff seems to think Heyward will get massively fat over the next decade or so. Salvador Perez, of all people, topped 300 pounds at one point (still catching, of course). Matt Adams turned into a husky, big-boned chunk monster too, but that's far more within the realm of possibility (he's billed at 260 now, in OOTP he ballooned to like 325).

I looked up Heyward in the OOTP 14 game I've had going on - it's the end of the 2030 season, he's 305 pounds and starting almost every day in right field for the Phillies (he also just hit .272/.373/.454 in 540 PAs at age 41).

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
designated "hitter"

In his entire professional career to date he has 391 hits and 482 walks, and I plan to ride this comedy train until the wheels fall off. The guy was a Texas League All-Star in 2042!

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Toona the Cat posted:

Having full minors when doing a historical replay is amazing.
My new goal in OOTP is to turn Macho Man Randy Savage into a baseball superstar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
but count this money
and put my team on
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

bewbies posted:

The other way to do it is they feed in a "career potential" kind of setup when the player is built, and they get thrown into the game, and the game engine just takes over from there. So, like George Brett gets put into the game in 1970-something, and starts with the potential to be a .390/.454/.664 hitter eventually. He'll then develop just like any other player...might get to .390 territory, might not....might be even better. This is a lot more fun as you can kind of see "what ifs" based on player talent level but with them in different situations, different injury histories, etc. You can turn up the randomness too, so they'll get more (or bigger) bumps or hits to their ability and thus you'll have even more variation.

I did a complete computer sim of all baseball history using this on a previous OOTP and the results were pretty cool...Babe Ruth hit like 800 HRs, Ted Williams sucked, Roger Clemens didn't even make the majors, etc.
If you look waaaay back in the thread, you can find my posts about a long-term sim in OOTP 12 where Adam Dunn turns into the King of Baseball. I should do that again sometime.

• Locked thread