Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was thinking today that it's odd that air wargames are all extremely finickity and full of stuff to track - many have written orders, most involve meticulous tracking of heights, speeds, and ammunition. Are there many examples of "cinematic" style dogfighting games that're aiming to be quick and breezy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Before it became a bloated mess the X-Wing tabletop game was based on Wings of War, which is pretty good. It might be out of print though so finding a copy could be hard.

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Blue Max is fun enough as board game style action but I truly can’t remember how complex it is.

Wings of War is great but miserably unavailable.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Really? I saw loads of it in Australia a couple of weeks back.

Of course I also found expansions for West End Games' Star Wars game that went out of print in 1998 so maybe things are skewed there...

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

I was thinking today that it's odd that air wargames are all extremely finickity and full of stuff to track - many have written orders, most involve meticulous tracking of heights, speeds, and ammunition. Are there many examples of "cinematic" style dogfighting games that're aiming to be quick and breezy?
Bag the Hun (by Too Fat Lardies, unsurprisingly) is hands down the best aerial combat game I've played. It does have altitude bands and ammo, but these are stupid easy to track. It also neatly avoids the problem that X-Wing and Wings of Glory have where both sides are plotting their movement blind (which forces you to guess what your opponent is doing and often ends up in you zigging left when they zag right and then spending like the next three turns maneuvering to get in another shot). Movement and firing order is randomly determined by card draw (which nicely represents those fleeting moments where an opportunity slips by you before you can seize it) and one of the coolest mechanics is the "tailing test," which if you can get into position and pass allows you to move when your opponent moves - greatly increasing your chances of being able to blast him.

It also has stuff for level-bombing, dive-bombing, strafing, and similar right in the basic rules (as opposed to a supplement like most other rule sets). I reviewed it for Goonhammer back in the day if your interest is piqued: https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-review-bag-the-hun/

I just recently got it to the table for my regular gaming group, doing a quick scenario of Spitfires vs Bf-109s over the English Channel:

It's a ton of fun and once you get the hang of it plays pretty quickly. And like all Lardies games it does cinematic/narrative really well.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

They really should be paying you for all the great advertising you do for their games :v:

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Arquinsiel posted:

Really? I saw loads of it in Australia a couple of weeks back.

You can very easily find Wings of Glory, the modern miniatures-sales-driven version by Ares games. The older simpler card-based version, Wings of War, was published in English by Fantasy Flight from 2004-2011 and is now out of print.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JonBolds posted:

You can very easily find Wings of Glory, the modern miniatures-sales-driven version by Ares games. The older simpler card-based version, Wings of War, was published in English by Fantasy Flight from 2004-2011 and is now out of print.
Ah, I have the WWII starter by FFG somewhere in storage and that came with miniatures so I assumed the Ares version was still using the cards for movement. They did have both on the shelves together anyway though.