Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Serotonin posted:

pro paedophile views.

What? Sounds like a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

LintMan posted:

I love the painting on these, sort of high-contrast & cartoony, I could probably see myself getting a bunch of 15mm

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Lord Commissar posted:

What? Sounds like a story.

LOL yeah.

OK quick drama filled over view.

TMP used to have lots of non gaming related boards, the biggest and most fun was the Current Affairs board, which like our very own D&D does, gets very lively at times.

Someone started a thread about the head of that Mormon church who had just been arrested for child abuse (he went ont he run, name escapes me now). A poster, who happened to be mormon started defending the mormon church and some of the actions of the alleged abuser, a huge poo poo storm errupted and a 50 odd page flame war started. The editor of TMP also a pretty hardcore mormon pretty much defended the other mormon poster who was in turn defending the child abuser. It got nasty, and the entire current affairs board got shut down under a huge amount of internet drama, with posters on rival UK based wargames board Frothers Unite http://www.frothersunite.com/ , stoking the flames big time.

All very silly (although said poster was very very loving creepy), and I actually miss the Current Affairs board they used to have.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

No Pun Intended posted:

Well not for that attack run, but next turn you can call them back for more.
Well that's kind of the idea. The dice pool just represents how much priority your requests are given at HQ and makes it slightly more likely that you'll get any airborne support that's available. It makes sense that you might lose an entire flight one turn and be able to use the flight that just returned from a mission and landed somewhere else next turn.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As per Lord Commissar's suggestion, I'll ask my Flames of War questions here.

I bought the Start Set and German late war infantry (GE722), and I want to play a Panzer Grenider force. For a force, I want to be able to field something that contains Panzers, tank destroyers, and half track mounted infantry. From what I know, the best kind of force I'd want is the stuff that would have been defending against Operation Market Garden or assaulting during the Battle of the Bulge.

Though I do not want to field any SS units. I know that they wouldn't be Einsatzgruppen forces, but still, it would be uncomfortable for me.

Anyways, is there a force where the organization appears on the website, or is there a book I should get that has said forces. Considering both of them are major events, I'd assume there would be books that deal with both events.

Also, can someone tell me if Firestorm Campaign is a stand alone game, or is it a campaign system?

Lastly, is there a guide to say which citadel paints correspond with the WW2 colours? I googled around, and was unable to do it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

twistedmentat posted:

I bought the Start Set and German late war infantry (GE722), and I want to play a Panzer Grenider force. For a force, I want to be able to field something that contains Panzers, tank destroyers, and half track mounted infantry. From what I know, the best kind of force I'd want is the stuff that would have been defending against Operation Market Garden or assaulting during the Battle of the Bulge.

Anyways, is there a force where the organization appears on the website, or is there a book I should get that has said forces. Considering both of them are major events, I'd assume there would be books that deal with both events.
Arnhem is out next month, but the Fortress Europe book covers pretty much anything you would want to make from the ETO with the exception of Allied Airbourne units. I also bought the GE722 set and really... shouldn't have. It's cheaper to buy Panzergrenadier platoon boxes or just buy the company as a whole. IIRC the Panzer Lehr armybox is a pretty decent deal (if it's still around....). The army unit choices are relatively liberal though. You can generally use most things you would buy, but not necessarily all at once.

twistedmentat posted:

Also, can someone tell me if Firestorm Campaign is a stand alone game, or is it a campaign system?
Both.

twistedmentat posted:

Lastly, is there a guide to say which citadel paints correspond with the WW2 colours? I googled around, and was unable to do it.
They don't. If you want to be really off just go with "best guess" but otherwise go with Vallejo.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
If you look and my battle report a couple pages back, Trouble Man's force sounds like what you want to play.

That force is built from the Fortress Europe source book.

Other books you can look into are Hell's Highway and the soon to be released
A Bridge to Far, also Eastern Front.

It really depends on what battle you want to focus on for on what book you want to choose.

As for paints, I am not sure you could find matching GW Shades for what they had in WW II as GW paints are fairly heraldic. But Battlefront do produce paint sets for the various forces, containing the (Vallejo) paints you need.

I know someone has posted a comparison chart for the various paint brands, all you'd need to do is find what paints are in the appropriate paint sets and then compare.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Well, I bought that set because It was the only German infantry blister they had at the store. And I wanted some infantry to go with my stug's. I origonally wanted to get a Hetzer, my favorite German vehicle.

I saw the fortress Europe book but I wasn't sure what It contained, and figured there would be something more specific, or maybe even free on the website. My boss is all :smug: because his Canadian rules were just PDFs.

So that book and probably the GBX09 Panzer Grendier box would be the next things to get? What box comes with assult rifle guys, as I saw they have a stupid number of shots per turn.

I'm not worried about tanks and other AFVs, because pretty much any tank I can buy I'll be able to use.

I was seriously considering soviets or Americans, but when my boss told me he'll be doing Canadians and my coworker will do Italians, I figured Germans would be the better choice, because they fought both of those.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you
Are you after Armoured Panzergrenadiers or Motorized?

Hells Highway has FJ and A Bridge to Far will most likely focus on the SS units in the area. Fortress Europe will be good buy as it covers the generic lists up to August 1944 but do not feature the Hetzer or Assault rifle armed platoons except for some scout units. If you want Hetzers have a look at the eastern front books or wait till the Bulge book is out.

Good core of any German infantry list is:

HQ
Infantry platoon
Infantry platoon
Anti Tank platoon with Pak 40's
Small Mortar platoon (for smoke and pinning)

Add in whatever tank you want like the look off. Thats core and you can use it for any of the infantry lists midwar to latewar.

On the old BF site there was a list of GW to Vallejo chart. However the site is gone and GW have changed their paint range.

Pick up 70882 Middlestone for German tanks and guns, 830 German Field Grey for the infantry.
The BF books have good colour guides and I use Vallejo paints for everything now.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

LintMan posted:

Mechanized, so tanks and halftacks.

quote:

Hells Highway has FJ and A Bridge to Far will most likely focus on the SS units in the area. Fortress Europe will be good buy as it covers the generic lists up to August 1944 but do not feature the Hetzer or Assault rifle armed platoons except for some scout units. If you want Hetzers have a look at the eastern front books or wait till the Bulge book is out.

Okay, that works. The books aren't too expensive, and having a number of available lists just gives me more choices.

quote:

Good core of any German infantry list is:

HQ
Infantry platoon
Infantry platoon
Anti Tank platoon with Pak 40's
Small Mortar platoon (for smoke and pinning)

What book will I find the list for these? Fortress Europe? If so, that's what I'll get next.

quote:

On the old BF site there was a list of GW to Vallejo chart. However the site is gone and GW have changed their paint range.

Pick up 70882 Middlestone for German tanks and guns, 830 German Field Grey for the infantry.
The BF books have good colour guides and I use Vallejo paints for everything now.

I have about a million GW paints, so buying any others wouldn't really make sense moeny wise. All need to know is that Chardonite Granite is pretty much the Grey Green of Late war uniforms.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

twistedmentat posted:

German Tanks and half tracks are expensive points wise. Good thing about the halftracks is they come with a 3 dice MG so your have a huge anti Infantry capability.

twistedmentat posted:

Okay, that works. The books aren't too expensive, and having a number of available lists just gives me more choices.
What book will I find the list for these? Fortress Europe? If so, that's what I'll get next.

Thats pretty much the core to any of the German infantry lists from any of the books. Add in Half tracks to the infantry and the Antitank platoon to turn it into an Armoured Panzergrenadier list.

twistedmentat posted:

I have about a million GW paints, so buying any others wouldn't really make sense moeny wise. All need to know is that Chardonite Granite is pretty much the Grey Green of Late war uniforms.

Not sure as I haven't bought a GW paint in a long time. Here is a snapshot I took from my old Stalingrad book. I know GW has added more paints to their line up. The green recommend makes the germans too green. But it might be helpful.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

LintMan posted:

German Tanks and half tracks are expensive points wise. Good thing about the halftracks is they come with a 3 dice MG so your have a huge anti Infantry capability.

As will anything with a decent AT rating that happens to shoot at your shiny halftracks loaded with guys, as No Pun Intended recently demonstrated to me.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Just out of interest, are there any rules or good models for Wurfrahmen 40s (Walking Stukas)?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Do you mean the Stuka zu Fuss? If you follow the link to the German special rules PDF that Lord Commissar posted you will find them there.

(That is rules for FoW)

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jan 11, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

That's the book I'd recommend. It's basic enough to get anyone started, and therefore works with most of the opponents you'll be fighting in Late War.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

No Pun Intended posted:

Do you mean the Stuka zu Fuss?

Yup, thats the one, I'll check it out, thanks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

LintMan posted:

twistedmentat posted:

To clarify this for you, they are both Mechanised but Armoured and Motorised are different things. Armoured are transported in SDK 251 halftracks. Motorised are transported in SDK 70 trucks. There's slight mobiliy differences on the table comparing on/off roading abilities and there's a rough 30% increase in points to use the Armoured variety (also the models will be easier to find).

I reccomend getting the following:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=518 X 1
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=506 X 2

Or just get one platoon box and buy four halftracks individually to mount your current platoon. In the end you will probably find you'll want to use three full platoons at least once so getting a box AND four halftracks probably won't hurt in the long run.

While I'm at it Fortress Europe is primarily late-1944 themed and has the following lists:

German
  • Panzerkompanie - Tanks.
  • Gepanzerte Panzergrenadierkompanie - Half-tracked Infantry.
  • Panzergrenadierkompanie - Trucked Infantry.
  • Grenadierkompanie - Bog standard Infantry.
  • Fallschirmjägerkompanie - Paratroopers.

British
  • Armoured Squadron/Armoured Recce Squadron - Tanks Sherman/Cromwells.
  • Motor Company - Half-tracked Infantry.
  • Rifle Company - Bog standard Infantry.
  • Armoured Car Squadron - What it says on the tin.

American
  • Tank Company - What it says on the tin.
  • Armoured Rifle Company - Half-tracked Infantry.
  • Rifle Company - Bog standard Infantry.
  • Cavalry Recon Troop - Armoured Cars.

Soviet
  • Tankovy Batallion - Tank Company, HUGE variety of tanks.
  • Motostrelkovy Batallion - Infantry with truck transport platoon options.
  • Strelkovy Batallion - Bog standard Infantry.

Note 1: Soviets field Batallions instead of Companies, Companies instead of Platoons and Platoons instead of Sections. In practice this just means a terminology shift and a lot more bases. It's to represent the manpower advantage they had.

Note 2: the main difference between Tank and Infantry Companies is obvious. The main difference between one Infantry Company and another is basically just the Divisional Support and Weapons Platoon choices available, integral transport options in Combat Platoons or something as simple as motivation or skill. German Grenadiers, for example, can use pretty much any unit in any other list in support.

If people want I can list the forces in eight or nine other books. Also, see specific unit lists here: http://www.flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 11, 2010

Finlay
Oct 4, 2005

Its time to settle things like real men.
Just received a package from gripping beast so I can start building up an Irish army (might split it into a Numidian army depending upon how it goes) for WH. Will post up some pics when I've got a unit finished.

In FOW how good are the various minor powers? I might be interested in collecting a force of Romanians or Finnish if they are competitive.

LintMan
Mar 12, 2006
Be seening you

Finlay posted:

In FOW how good are the various minor powers? I might be interested in collecting a force of Romanians or Finnish if they are competitive.

The Finns are available as a PDF on the Battlefront website for the late war period. Phil Yates and the rest of the battlefront crew are very interested in the minor axis powers so its just a matter of time before they get the PDF treatment.

The Finns are an excellent light infantry force. You can group them with German supplied Stugs or captured Soviet tanks. Have a look at the PDF its a free download.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
I got the Old Glory 15mm German late war infantry today. After some goofing around with them, here are my initial reactions:

1) Wow, these have far more detail than I expected, Old Glory being a "budget" brand and all.
2) Far better variety than expected. We split a couple of 50 miniature bags, and for most of the stuff I ended up with just two of every pose.
3) Nicely enough some of the poses for the riflemen were prone soldiers with binoculars, field telephones and other doo-dads so that I can make spotters out of them.
4) A bit of flash, but the metal is quite soft so it is not so difficult to remove. I got about halfways through my miniatures in an hour.
5) A few shoddy molds. Mostly seen on some bases being almost twice as thick as ordinary. A crappy face here and there, but nothing that doesn't pass for 15mm miniatures.
6) Heiling herrings Batman, a Tiger tank is absolutely enormous in 15mm too! Seeing pictures of them is nothing compared to holding one in your hand.

So this far I think Old Glory is a very good choice for your large chunks of infantry. The savings on vehicles are much smaller, and when you get into things like artillery crew you might actually end up paying more if you don't have an urgent need for 50 loaders. Definitely worth looking into if you plan to field something with massed infantry.

DBA battle report: While auxilia isn't a powerhouse unit, my opponent's Tracians (almost all auxilia with some light cavalry and psiloi) completely trashed my poor warband-heavy Gauls. Warbands suck.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 11, 2010

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

When I compared the pricing with WarStore (which is US, of course), the official FoW minis actually came out cheaper.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo, I bought the wrong tanks for my CWC Soviet force (T-72s as opposed to the T-62s that I probably should have got). On the other hand, I don't actually know anyone in real life who would notice the difference or even care, so to hell with it.

Also, I have a lot more AT and AA than I will ever need. Still, I think I've got around 2000 points when I a] paint it all and b] oh my god I need a few more infantry units that's the last thing I want oh jesus 6mm soft white metal infantry. Removing flash from the infantry figures is going to drive me insaaaane.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2010

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
Hey guys I picked up that Ambush Alley game that got posted earlier on a whim and it looks pretty fun, and even if it never gets played I'd like some 15mm modern infantry (preferably British, though American will do if I have to) to paint up...I'm UK based so do any of you UK fellows have a good go to store for stuff like that?

(I'd rather not have to ship it over from America or where ever if it can be avoided).

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

When I compared the pricing with WarStore (which is US, of course), the official FoW minis actually came out cheaper.

Warstore, Strelkovy Platoon, 40 infantry, $18.00
Old Glory, infantry bag, 50 infantry, $18.00

That's the one that I can find that is the most favourable to Battlefront miniatures, if you go on a per miniature cost.

Due to the bag sizes however, I'd say you end up paying a little bit more with OG but you end up with far more miniatures, some of which you might not have use for. If you are a beginner I can totally see the point with going the official miniatures since you get them all sorted out, with no extras and with bases and all that.

Also I'm a dirty European who'd have to pay extra shipping from the Warstore anyway, and compared to local prices the OG is much cheaper than what FoW retail for over here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Morham posted:

Hey guys I picked up that Ambush Alley game that got posted earlier on a whim and it looks pretty fun, and even if it never gets played I'd like some 15mm modern infantry (preferably British, though American will do if I have to) to paint up...I'm UK based so do any of you UK fellows have a good go to store for stuff like that?

(I'd rather not have to ship it over from America or where ever if it can be avoided).

http://www.theassaultgroup.co.uk/pages/page.php?Ultra-Modern-14

lilljonas posted:

That's the one that I can find that is the most favourable to Battlefront miniatures, if you go on a per miniature cost.

Due to the bag sizes however, I'd say you end up paying a little bit more with OG but you end up with far more miniatures, some of which you might not have use for. If you are a beginner I can totally see the point with going the official miniatures since you get them all sorted out, with no extras and with bases and all that.

Also I'm a dirty European who'd have to pay extra shipping from the Warstore anyway, and compared to local prices the OG is much cheaper than what FoW retail for over here.

Yeah I included shipping in my calculations, which obviously would an issue outside of the US.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

These are all 28mm, not 15mm.

On the other hand, they're really nice sculpts.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Morham posted:

Quick Reaction Force is a UK company that makes various 15mm moderns. They have lots of different British infantry packs. At 2 quid/8 minis you can get away with a cheap skirmish game.

Or well, you could check this TMP thread out and browse your heart out:

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=86100

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jan 11, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

I've found that the Battlefront miniatures can be a bit difficult to figure out at times. I spent ages trying to work out what the squatting guy holding what looks like lego binoculars is doing (he's holding the bipod of an MG32 that sits on his shoulder....) and generally they include a lot of optional stuff in the packages.

Also, never buy blisters unless you absolutely have to, they're far more expensive than buying full platoons with all the options, and you'll get a better variety of miniatures in the tank ones. It's usually a saving of about 25% going with boxes in my experience.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007
Thanks, I thought for 2 quid a pop I might as well give QRF a go, I'll wait and see what they're like and maybe I'll go somewhere else next time...oh god...there will probably be a next time won't there, my poor student loan :(

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Would anyone be interested in a write up of Advanced Squad Leader? I know it's not a miniatures wargame, but it shares some features and would probably go better in here than in the board games thread.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Arquinsiel posted:

To clarify this for you, they are both Mechanised but Armoured and Motorised are different things. Armoured are transported in SDK 251 halftracks. Motorised are transported in SDK 70 trucks. There's slight mobiliy differences on the table comparing on/off roading abilities and there's a rough 30% increase in points to use the Armoured variety (also the models will be easier to find).

I reccomend getting the following:
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=518 X 1
http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=506 X 2

Or just get one platoon box and buy four halftracks individually to mount your current platoon. In the end you will probably find you'll want to use three full platoons at least once so getting a box AND four halftracks probably won't hurt in the long run.

Excellent advice. It's not too much money. It's a little overwhelming with it's organization, but their packages really seem to be done well.

Tanks, halftracks and infantry, that's what I want. My boss is going to take me out to the store that sells them locally again so I can pick up that book and probably something else.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

lilljonas posted:

Quick Reaction Force is a UK company that makes various 15mm moderns. They have lots of different British infantry packs. At 2 quid/8 minis you can get away with a cheap skirmish game.

QRF are superb. I have their American Marines and a LAV25

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hey Serotonin, what do you use to make aerials for 6mm vehicles/radio operators?

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) is a hex based war-game which simulates company sized battles during and around the Second World War. It dates back to the original Squad Leader game which was released in the late seventies. Originally published by the much missed Avalon Hill, the rights have been farmed out by Hasbro to Multiman Publishing, which is owned by Curt Schilling. Multiman Publishing have continued to develop and update the game, in spite of being a small operation.

Much like a game involving miniatures, there are a myriad of scenarios that can be used, which govern the forces battling, and the victory conditions. The game is set up on standard maps, which can be combined in a variety of different ways so as to simulate a variety of terrain. Counters are used to represent squads, support weapons and leaders. Tanks, vehicles and artillery are also represented, and the rules for them get ever more complicated. Troop counters have their firepower, movement and morale printed on them.

Click here for the full 558x637 image.

The structure of the gameplay should be familiar to anyone with a war-gaming background, with each side taking a turn to control their forces. Within each turn there are movement and firing phases. There are also opportunities for the non-active player to fire at moving troops. Battles are resolved with tables (oh so many tables) and the roll of dice.

There are two distinct flavours of ASL, Starter Kit ASL and “full” ASL. The starter kit is a relatively new idea to the game, and it is an attempt to attract new players. The idea with the starter kits is to introduce new players to a simplified set of rules, and slowly introduce new rules with subsequent releases of starter kits. Starter Kit one contains rules for infantry battles. Starter Kit two introduces artillery counters and rules. Starter Kit three adds in tank and vehicle rules. All of the starter kits can be purchased and played independently of each other. If your new to the game, it is strongly advised to start with one of these kits.

The “full” ASL is huge, and contains rules for absolutely everything, from movement up a mountainside, to horse drawn carriages. The common way to get into it is to purchase the rulebook and a module called Beyond Valor. The module contains all the counters you need to allow you to play battles between German and Russian forces. Further modules introduce other forces of the period, Yanks for example, contains the counters needed for Americans in the European theatre. Quite a few modules are out of print though, so don't expect to be playing Guadelcanal any time soon.

Pros:
In depth simulation of battles of the Second World War.
Most battles can be played within an afternoon, or evening.
Can be played out of the box, no need for buying and painting up miniatures.
Scenarios and rules are incredibly well researched for their historical accuracy.

Cons:
No painting of miniatures, so that aspect of the hobby is cut out. Some people do play with miniatures on the hex maps however.
Some modules are out of print, so if you are itching to play anything in the Pacific Theatre, forget about it for the next couple of years.
Relatively expensive for what amounts to cardboard and paper in a box.
Can be quite complicated, though the learning curve is lessened with the Starter Kits.

Links:

Multiman Publishing, the current publishers: http://www.multimanpublishing.com/ASL/asl.php
VASL, for playing online: http://www.vasl.org/

SickboySuperfly
Feb 14, 2005
DEVIL!
For those of you who are in need of a decent paint conversion chart with tons of options, this is the best I've seen: http://www.paint4models.com/index.html. I had been resigned to having to resort to building a compatibility list myself, but luckily enough someone pointed me towards this chart. It does cover citadel paints, vallejo, tamiya, testors and several others. Hope this helps, and while I can't vouch for its historical accuracy it should take a lot of guesswork out of painting vehicles and aircraft.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Barry the Sprout posted:

Advanced Squad Leader

I used to have a game very similar to this called Tet Offensive. I wonder if it used the same rules.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Hey Serotonin, what do you use to make aerials for 6mm vehicles/radio operators?

The nylon bristles from a dustpan and brush set.

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

Lord Commissar posted:

I used to have a game very similar to this called Tet Offensive. I wonder if it used the same rules.

I think that there is a Vietnam expansion that has been made by a third party manufacturer, but I'm not sure what it's called. Speaking of which, there is quite a thriving community of third party manufacturers for the game, and most of the modules are reviewed here:

http://www.desperationmorale.com/worldofasl/worldmain.html

I've been playing hex-based war-games for a couple of years now, and I really enjoy them. It's only recently that I've started to get into miniatures based war-games.

I do understand that there is traditionally a bit of a separation between the two types of war-games, but I can't really see why to be honest.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Barry the Sprout posted:

I've been playing hex-based war-games for a couple of years now, and I really enjoy them. It's only recently that I've started to get into miniatures based war-games.

I do understand that there is traditionally a bit of a separation between the two types of war-games, but I can't really see why to be honest.

Me neither. One of the reason I'm trying out 6mm was that I saw some players playing what is ordinarily a pike-and-shotte hex-based wargame with 6mm miniatures. They used a green mat with enlarged hexes and modelled terrain, with the stats you ordinarily have on the chits on the bases. It looked really nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Barry the Sprout posted:

I know of one reason why I didn't get into Hex'n'chit and I can guess that not wanting to muck about with toy soldiers is why he Hex'n'chit types don't... muck about with toy soldiers.

For me the killer was attempting to play an old Avalon Hill boxed game named "Panzer Leader" or similar. I think it was a hugely simplified ASL rulesset, but the rules for stackign were broken in it. Simply put, attackers added the values of any four chits in a stack and compared it to ALL of he values in a defensive stack. It was at this point that Nazi Germany won the second world war by dividing it's forces into a number of stacks equal to the number of objectives and turtling on said objectives until turn limit. Russia was not pleased. We never played it again.

IE: loving stupid rules.