Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

lilljonas posted:

Napoleonic uniforms is some heavy poo poo, I've never had to do this much research for painting a single wargaming unit.

Call me a grog but that's the best bit about wargaming Napoleonics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Some more information snippets about bolt action 2.0

- officers activating multiple units in concert
- implementation of HE templates (maybe mortars won't be terrible now?)

http://www.warlordgames.com/bolt-ac..._eid=7da66910b4

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Flipswitch posted:

Not to mention the faces!

Bit of a shame those guys are DreamForge, their stuff is a bastard to get hold of usually. Warlord still do the best winter Soviets though right?

I'm not sure anyone else even makes winter Soviets so probably, but looking at the models there's still some consistency problems. You don't generally see a mix of shinels and telogreikas in period photos, it's one or the other.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dirt Worshipper posted:

Some more information snippets about bolt action 2.0

- officers activating multiple units in concert
- implementation of HE templates (maybe mortars won't be terrible now?)

http://www.warlordgames.com/bolt-ac..._eid=7da66910b4

Are they getting rid of the historically inaccurate 'Ronson' special rule for Sherman tanks? Because as a tank nerd, that was a deal breaker. Mind you I have got onboard with Battlefront's Tanks! so I'm in no position to judge. I just want to use the Flames of War starter I've had sat around for a while, OK?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 29, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I think FoW might be the only WW2 game I've tried that didn't intimate that shermans were supernaturally flammable, honestly. Even CoC does.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I never knew that historicals would be so lucrative - I've got a couple of 12-base, 6mm DBA armies up on ebay and they're going for £60 quid already. Compared to my Warmachine Starter force which is at a sweet 2.99, I can't grasp it.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of historical gamers are old and would happily pay someone else to paint mans so they can play more wars instead :ms:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Peeps on /hwg/ thread on /tg/ are not that old, but I guess the dudes with exquisite tables and Wargames Illustrated subscriptions are.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

JcDent posted:

Peeps on /hwg/ thread on /tg/ are not that old, but I guess the dudes with exquisite tables and Wargames Illustrated subscriptions are.

Well I have a WI subscription. I don't actually have much time to paint, owing to all my other stupid hobbies, but I just play with unpainted minis because it's my table and no one cares.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

Wargames Illustrated is the White Dwarf of historicals mags. What you want is Miniature Wargames with Battlegames :smugbert:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Wargames Illustrated is the White Dwarf of historicals mags. What you want is Miniature Wargames with Battlegames :smugbert:

It's really not, not anymore. They have all sorts of articles with competing products, and other than always having one article on a Battlefront product, you wouldn't know they were owned by the same people.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Colonial Air Force posted:

It's really not, not anymore. They have all sorts of articles with competing products, and other than always having one article on a Battlefront product, you wouldn't know they were owned by the same people.
Once upon a time White Dwarf was like that too, but I was more joking because the mag I mentioned is edited by John Curry and it's way lower in production value but has the best of the best groggy articles in it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Once upon a time White Dwarf was like that too, but I was more joking because the mag I mentioned is edited by John Curry and it's way lower in production value but has the best of the best groggy articles in it.

I have an issue, I like it. Oh no, I have WS&S. There a lot of these.

This month's WI has an article on how to sperg over Warlord's plastic fallschirmjägers to make them work in any theater. It's pretty groggy. This Neil Smith guy who writes a lot of articles for them is also a wicked grog telling me all sorts of poo poo I really don't care about whatsoever.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jul 29, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

I think FoW might be the only WW2 game I've tried that didn't intimate that shermans were supernaturally flammable, honestly. Even CoC does.

Yeah, I think particualry denoting vehicles that took measures to prevent getting brewed up is a much better perspective.

I mean Battlefront still make mistakes (they seem to be going way too far into digital only - I mean, I'd love to grab Nachtjager book, but instead like half the lists for both Axis & Allies aren't in the book!), and I hate that the blurb for the Panther card in Tanks! decribes it as 'the best medium tank of WWII', but on the other hand they've put the Open Fire rules & Forces booklet online for free (plus all those other army lists you can get for free) so I can hopefully get some Tanks! players into Flames of War that way.

Plus it manes I can build a Comet company without having to buy any books! (I...may have already purchased enough Comets to make a company).

I'm worried I'm going to wind up assembling the starter Shermans (the original 2012 'we're still figuring out plastic minis' starter Shermans) and then build a second company of Canadians and wind up buying a whole second company's worth of the new Shermans (because god dammit they need to have the Correct Divisional Markings!)

Oh and maybe build a US armoured company since one of the US Armoured Divisions mustered up for D-Day like 20 minutes' drive from where I live.

God help me, I'm a tankaholic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
We don't judge here.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Paging Ensign Expendable

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Is WI for all non-GW wargames or just historical grog? I remember getting a copy in the 90's when I couldn't find a white dwarf and being heartily dissapointed, but I didn't know the beauty of muskets then.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Seems to be purely historical for the most part from what I remember. At best you get "alt history" games. Very few magazines exist that handle sci-fi or fantasy stuff that isn't company owned and thus brand focussed.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

One of us! One of us!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Colonial Air Force posted:

Paging Ensign Expendable

No don't, or I'll be grabbing a copy of Berlin or Desperate Measures and start building a Hero Soviet Tanks list.

At least the Plastic Soldier Company means I can some stuff for cheaper - I already have a trio of Zvezda Dingos for recon duty, and I'll probably buy a pack of PSC 25pndrs for artillery support.
Edit:

Ensign Expendable posted:

One of us! One of us!
I've been a tanksfan since I got into World of Tanks. I got into milhist largely because of your & Rossmum's effortposts dunking on Wehraboos in the WoT threads. This is basically your fault.

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 29, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Southern Heel posted:

Is WI for all non-GW wargames or just historical grog? I remember getting a copy in the 90's when I couldn't find a white dwarf and being heartily dissapointed, but I didn't know the beauty of muskets then.

Like Arq said, you occasionally get an alt-history or zombie-infested-ww2 thing, but it's historical. I think I saw one article on Frostgrave once.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yvonmukluk posted:

This is an old picture and I've added some 4-5 German tanks since.

And that's before we start playing 1942 and forwards.

e: and I'm still adding more StuGs because they are adorable. :3:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I think particualry denoting vehicles that took measures to prevent getting brewed up is a much better perspective.

I mean Battlefront still make mistakes (they seem to be going way too far into digital only - I mean, I'd love to grab Nachtjager book, but instead like half the lists for both Axis & Allies aren't in the book!), and I hate that the blurb for the Panther card in Tanks! decribes it as 'the best medium tank of WWII', but on the other hand they've put the Open Fire rules & Forces booklet online for free (plus all those other army lists you can get for free) so I can hopefully get some Tanks! players into Flames of War that way.

Plus it manes I can build a Comet company without having to buy any books! (I...may have already purchased enough Comets to make a company).

I'm worried I'm going to wind up assembling the starter Shermans (the original 2012 'we're still figuring out plastic minis' starter Shermans) and then build a second company of Canadians and wind up buying a whole second company's worth of the new Shermans (because god dammit they need to have the Correct Divisional Markings!)

Oh and maybe build a US armoured company since one of the US Armoured Divisions mustered up for D-Day like 20 minutes' drive from where I live.

BF still continue to gently caress up their soviet lists, digital is pretty dumb, and there's a real american bias (americanboo?) in a lot of their releases, but they're not too awful, certainly. I appreciate that they finally accepted they need to do plastics.

Yvonmukluk posted:

No don't, or I'll be grabbing a copy of Berlin or Desperate Measures and start building a Hero Soviet Tanks list.

You don't want to do that, they're really bad lists. Not quite tyranids-in-40k bad but... uh... who's just kinda bad at the moment rather than being completely loving dire?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

spectralent posted:

BF still continue to gently caress up their soviet lists, digital is pretty dumb, and there's a real american bias (americanboo?) in a lot of their releases, but they're not too awful, certainly. I appreciate that they finally accepted they need to do plastics.

You don't want to do that, they're really bad lists. Not quite tyranids-in-40k bad but... uh... who's just kinda bad at the moment rather than being completely loving dire?

SoB?

For tankchat, I like saying that I've reached the zen state where I buy stuff that I like even when I'm 100% sure that I won't play it. That's how I got my three 15mm tanks. Stupid cheap Zvezda. I also have 15 3mm tanks that are just the cutest, but I haven't done anything with them yet.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hero lists, in order:

Engineers and cavalry (digital only shockingly :geno:): Have a core gimmick that makes them tolerable. Not the strongest lists, but probably competitive. The engineers can actually assault thanks to smoke pots, and cavalry are cavalry and can pull their weight through good mobility, especially through bad ground.

Hero rifles, hero motor rifles, maybe hero SPA: Not good. You can win with these lists, especially if you dig in and abuse the 160mm mortars and basically try to avoid playing in a remotely normal way as much as possible, but you're trying to make lemons into lemonade. The lists feature units too small to make use of the soviet's normal gimmick with infantry, fragile it may be (Quality of Quantity), and still lack veteran infantry or smoke that other nations all get as standard. It's the only place you can take an actual red banner on the board, though. Hero SPA is probably as bad as the other hero lists but SU-100s are actually playable without hen-and-chicks, though I'm not sure they're worth it.

Hero tankovy, hero lend-lease tankovy, hero heavy tankovy: Baaaaaaaaaad. If you win with these you're amazing at the game, your opponent is terrible, your luck was great or all three. Probably all three. Both non-heavy tankovies have trained tanks at high points values without any sort of protective measures like smoke that other armies get. The T-34-85 is still not good enough to reliably deal with heavies, and now it's not even present in numbers so you can rely on the law of averages to kill panthers. Same deal for the wet shermans. Hero heavy tankovy is the worst of the lot, consisting of an overpriced unit with mediocre armour and no idea what the hell it's doing on the field. I want to play HHT, but only because I am a masochist. You should not play hero tank lists if you want a remotely fair game.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Hero lists, in order:

Engineers and cavalry (digital only shockingly :geno:): Have a core gimmick that makes them tolerable. Not the strongest lists, but probably competitive. The engineers can actually assault thanks to smoke pots, and cavalry are cavalry and can pull their weight through good mobility, especially through bad ground.

Hero rifles, hero motor rifles, maybe hero SPA: Not good. You can win with these lists, especially if you dig in and abuse the 160mm mortars and basically try to avoid playing in a remotely normal way as much as possible, but you're trying to make lemons into lemonade. The lists feature units too small to make use of the soviet's normal gimmick with infantry, fragile it may be (Quality of Quantity), and still lack veteran infantry or smoke that other nations all get as standard. It's the only place you can take an actual red banner on the board, though. Hero SPA is probably as bad as the other hero lists but SU-100s are actually playable without hen-and-chicks, though I'm not sure they're worth it.

Hero tankovy, hero lend-lease tankovy, hero heavy tankovy: Baaaaaaaaaad. If you win with these you're amazing at the game, your opponent is terrible, your luck was great or all three. Probably all three. Both non-heavy tankovies have trained tanks at high points values without any sort of protective measures like smoke that other armies get. The T-34-85 is still not good enough to reliably deal with heavies, and now it's not even present in numbers so you can rely on the law of averages to kill panthers. Same deal for the wet shermans. Hero heavy tankovy is the worst of the lot, consisting of an overpriced unit with mediocre armour and no idea what the hell it's doing on the field. I want to play HHT, but only because I am a masochist. You should not play hero tank lists if you want a remotely fair game.

Thanks for this breakdown. Are there any other 'pitfall' lists I should avoid (for Soviets or FoW in general?) Kind of sad the Soviets are so screwed, though.

I'm thinking of dropping a link to this page on my club's facebook group after Tanks! gets established to see if I get any bites. From discussion with the guy at the store who's been pushing for Tanks!, I think he might have already bought enough tanks for a German armoured company. Also: the Forces book lets you have both Comets (albeit CT ones) and Shermans and a platoon of US Paras all in one list. Not historically accurate I know, but it lets me use all of my models I think :getin:

For whatever complaints you can make about Battlefront, Battlefront they do have a surprisingly wide range of lists you can still download for absolutely free (even if they've apparently half-assedly tried to hide it from their website - they've literally removed it from the dropdown list in the hobby section where it used to be. Hell, there's a few they apparently put into Forces of War for money you can still download, because they still have the free download pages up or they took down the link but the file's still on the site :ssh:

Also I have assembled a Pershing this evening. Quick question: does anyone know what exactly the twin tubes mounted on top of the Super Pershing are? Since you can't unforunately have the option to I was thinking of sticking them on the Pershing as a way to mark it out from others I build as the first in line. Would there be any reason to mount it on a Pershing?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Thanks for this breakdown. Are there any other 'pitfall' lists I should avoid (for Soviets or FoW in general?) Kind of sad the Soviets are so screwed, though.

Generally talking late-war since your options for EW and MW are "do you want medium or heavy tanks, or infantry" (in early war you can even get some cavalry!)

Soviets, specific lists (non-hero):

1. Udarny Strelkovy is Hero Strelkovy and has the exact same problems but doesn't have 160mm mortars to spam and watch everything explode.

2. The shtrafbat. They're an interesting gimmick company, to be fair, which seems to be their kind of design space. OTOH they're always-attacks infantry, which is rough, and lack any sort of anti-armour capacity whatsoever. Or proper artillery. Or... Basically just expect them to die a lot.

Most other lists are... not bad, actually. Some are kind of weird; rota radzvedki, for example, begins with your recon choices and then you pick everything else. But they're mostly otherwise all playable; the real issue is that they're all painfully generic and they don't get the kind of cool flavourful lists with specific forces with unique special rules and ratings that every other army gets.

Units to avoid:

1. IS-2s. IS-2s are a tank that doesn't know what it wants; it does a bit of everything and therefore never gets to earn it's full point value in most games.
1a. In general be cautious about making RoF 1 guns your army core; ISU-152s aren't always a waste of points like IS-2s are, but if they're the bulk of your force you're very vulnerable to smoke and german peekaboo.

2. Katuyshas. They're a mortar team that's impossible to defend. If you take them bank on losing them every game and try and make it as annoying as possible to get to them, because one turn of MG fire and they're gone.

3. SU-100s. RoF 1 and hen-and-chicks, for a tasty +2 to hit if you move with them, usually meaning they'll do sweet loving nothing all game. BS-3 is pretty similar, but at least it's not loving H&C (though I guess it can't move anyway).

4. Captured Panzers. Force-deploy, so you waste a table slot if you're defending, eat a recon slot, inexplicably RoF 1 even if the original german tank wasn't and still hen-and-chicks. No no no no no.

5. OT-34/85s. Not entirely awful but you want the far cheaper OT-34s which are going to do the same job and not eat half your point budget doing it.

6. Late Shturmovik. Also not awful but you want the rockets 99% of the time; you're paying through the nose for cannons you'll rarely use.

General FoW listbuilding advice:

You want a combined-arms force. 5 king tigers is not an army. Your default checklist is 2-3 core platoons at a reasonable size (3-4 tanks, 7+ infantry), a recce platoon, an artillery platoon, smoke, and whatever the thing your list isn't (i.e. infantry if you're a tank company, tanks if you're infantry). Bear in mind soviets don't get smoke. Like, at all. Engineer smoke pots are the closest you get.

quote:

I'm thinking of dropping a link to this page on my club's facebook group after Tanks! gets established to see if I get any bites. From discussion with the guy at the store who's been pushing for Tanks!, I think he might have already bought enough tanks for a German armoured company. Also: the Forces book lets you have both Comets (albeit CT ones) and Shermans and a platoon of US Paras all in one list. Not historically accurate I know, but it lets me use all of my models I think :getin:

Which forces book is this? The one with V3 doesn't include comets...

Also, Comets and Shermans would have totally been in the company of US Paras; the british crossing of the rhine would've put the 17th airborne in contact with the 11th armoured division, and the independent armoured brigades brought back sherman DDs for the river crossings.

quote:

Also I have assembled a Pershing this evening. Quick question: does anyone know what exactly the twin tubes mounted on top of the Super Pershing are? Since you can't unforunately have the option to I was thinking of sticking them on the Pershing as a way to mark it out from others I build as the first in line. Would there be any reason to mount it on a Pershing?

I was going to suggest a smoke launcher, but you're not looking at the super-pershing's gun-shock-absorber-thing are you?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Generally talking late-war since your options for EW and MW are "do you want medium or heavy tanks, or infantry" (in early war you can even get some cavalry!)

Soviets, specific lists (non-hero):

1. Udarny Strelkovy is Hero Strelkovy and has the exact same problems but doesn't have 160mm mortars to spam and watch everything explode.

2. The shtrafbat. They're an interesting gimmick company, to be fair, which seems to be their kind of design space. OTOH they're always-attacks infantry, which is rough, and lack any sort of anti-armour capacity whatsoever. Or proper artillery. Or... Basically just expect them to die a lot.

Most other lists are... not bad, actually. Some are kind of weird; rota radzvedki, for example, begins with your recon choices and then you pick everything else. But they're mostly otherwise all playable; the real issue is that they're all painfully generic and they don't get the kind of cool flavourful lists with specific forces with unique special rules and ratings that every other army gets.

Units to avoid:

1. IS-2s. IS-2s are a tank that doesn't know what it wants; it does a bit of everything and therefore never gets to earn it's full point value in most games.
1a. In general be cautious about making RoF 1 guns your army core; ISU-152s aren't always a waste of points like IS-2s are, but if they're the bulk of your force you're very vulnerable to smoke and german peekaboo.

2. Katuyshas. They're a mortar team that's impossible to defend. If you take them bank on losing them every game and try and make it as annoying as possible to get to them, because one turn of MG fire and they're gone.

3. SU-100s. RoF 1 and hen-and-chicks, for a tasty +2 to hit if you move with them, usually meaning they'll do sweet loving nothing all game. BS-3 is pretty similar, but at least it's not loving H&C (though I guess it can't move anyway).

4. Captured Panzers. Force-deploy, so you waste a table slot if you're defending, eat a recon slot, inexplicably RoF 1 even if the original german tank wasn't and still hen-and-chicks. No no no no no.

5. OT-34/85s. Not entirely awful but you want the far cheaper OT-34s which are going to do the same job and not eat half your point budget doing it.

6. Late Shturmovik. Also not awful but you want the rockets 99% of the time; you're paying through the nose for cannons you'll rarely use.

General FoW listbuilding advice:

You want a combined-arms force. 5 king tigers is not an army. Your default checklist is 2-3 core platoons at a reasonable size (3-4 tanks, 7+ infantry), a recce platoon, an artillery platoon, smoke, and whatever the thing your list isn't (i.e. infantry if you're a tank company, tanks if you're infantry). Bear in mind soviets don't get smoke. Like, at all. Engineer smoke pots are the closest you get.
Thanks for the advice. Question: How many AA MGs should I be taking on my (British) Tanks? I was thinking of putting them on my Fireflies, to give them a bit more anti-infantry punch

spectralent posted:

Which forces book is this? The one with V3 doesn't include comets...
It's the booklet they bundled in with the latest version of Open Fire! (and you can download it from that link). I think it lets you field basically anything they've made a plastic kit for.

spectralent posted:

Also, Comets and Shermans would have totally been in the company of US Paras; the british crossing of the rhine would've put the 17th airborne in contact with the 11th armoured division, and the independent armoured brigades brought back sherman DDs for the river crossings.
Fair enough - I don't think the 11th Armoured companies in Nachtjager have the option to take Paras as support, though. And there's no other list that lets you take Shermans & Comets simultaneously. (Also everyone is Confident Trained - other than the paras). It's very much Generic British Armoured Squadron.

spectralent posted:

I was going to suggest a smoke launcher, but you're not looking at the super-pershing's gun-shock-absorber-thing are you?
Oh, so that's what it is.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yvonmukluk posted:

Thanks for the advice. Question: How many AA MGs should I be taking on my (British) Tanks? I was thinking of putting them on my Fireflies, to give them a bit more anti-infantry punch

Might be an idea, but AA MGs are the kind of thing you can see if you can squeeze into lists; I'd usually make a list then look at if I have a few points for AA MGs left over. Putting them on the firefly might be a good idea if you expect it to shoot infantry a lot, but the firefly's usually hanging back. If you have no other source of AA, AA MGs are definitely a good idea.

quote:

It's the booklet they bundled in with the latest version of Open Fire! (and you can download it from that link). I think it lets you field basically anything they've made a plastic kit for.

Ah, huh! Okay, neat.

quote:

Fair enough - I don't think the 11th Armoured companies in Nachtjager have the option to take Paras as support, though. And there's no other list that lets you take Shermans & Comets simultaneously. (Also everyone is Confident Trained - other than the paras). It's very much Generic British Armoured Squadron.

NJ suffered from all-digital-all-the-time; the US paras only appeared in Digital. Granted, the paras in digital are only capable of taking churchills and shermans as support, but still.

As I say, it satisfies my "could have happened" grog streak, even if it's not strictly historical.

quote:

Oh, so that's what it is.

You can see to the left of the gun there's two tube-things; is that your lad? It's called a spring balancer, I seem to remember, and it's there to counteract the recoil when it fires.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

spectralent posted:

Might be an idea, but AA MGs are the kind of thing you can see if you can squeeze into lists; I'd usually make a list then look at if I have a few points for AA MGs left over. Putting them on the firefly might be a good idea if you expect it to shoot infantry a lot, but the firefly's usually hanging back. If you have no other source of AA, AA MGs are definitely a good idea.
The thing is I kind of have to balance all that with the idea that I need to actually decide whether or not I glue them to the tank. I can't really unremove them.

spectralent posted:

Ah, huh! Okay, neat.

NJ suffered from all-digital-all-the-time; the US paras only appeared in Digital. Granted, the paras in digital are only capable of taking churchills and shermans as support, but still.

As I say, it satisfies my "could have happened" grog streak, even if it's not strictly historical.
Yeah, if there was more than three lists for each side I might have actually bought that book. Considering I can run a Comet list (albeit CT instead of CV) for free, (thanks, Battlefront!) I'm probably going to hold off on it until they release the Rhine Crossing compilation with all the bells and whistles. Kind of annoyed they apparently couldn't even be bothered to give the option/unit entries for the paras in the book, even if they don't get company briefings. I think I might buy Overlord next since that would let me run CT versions of my planned 11th Armoured/South Alberta Armoured Recce companies, as well as give me the groundwork for a US Armoured Company.

spectralent posted:

You can see to the left of the gun there's two tube-things; is that your lad? It's called a spring balancer, I seem to remember, and it's there to counteract the recoil when it fires.

Yep, that's the thingie.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

spectralent posted:

5 king tigers is not an army.

Unless you take one of the Remagen Always Defend reluctant trained lists that are specifically designed to make all KTs actually viable, or even Jagdtigers! (which despite having high caliber two piece ammo are RoF 2, because gently caress you pinko)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

JcDent posted:

SoB?

For tankchat, I like saying that I've reached the zen state where I buy stuff that I like even when I'm 100% sure that I won't play it. That's how I got my three 15mm tanks. Stupid cheap Zvezda. I also have 15 3mm tanks that are just the cutest, but I haven't done anything with them yet.
I just buy Zvezda tanks to see what the build is like and then I accidentally a whole new army.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Forums Terrorist posted:

Unless you take one of the Remagen Always Defend reluctant trained lists that are specifically designed to make all KTs actually viable, or even Jagdtigers! (which despite having high caliber two piece ammo are RoF 2, because gently caress you pinko)

Even then, you need support for them; far more viable in Remagen, of course, with Volksturm, luftwaffe auxillaries, and suchlike, but five king tigers is going to have a bad time. Also, in my experience, they're somewhat tricky lists that a lot of newbies are very attracted to.

RoF 2 JTs really gets me, because the given reason was "so they're not stuck playing pillbox", i.e. the exact thing SU-100s and ISU-122s do.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Cross posting from the Oath thread - I've just finished some Vietnam War stuff for FNG. The bases all have a holder for micro dice.

quote:

Now lets head into 'Nam. the VC are massing for action it seems.

So lets send in a platoon of boys. - for #SquadGoals

Here are the casualties, the extra US grunts and the objective markers.

Of course, I need to get them into action. So lets have some Choppers!

None of you buggers better fail an oath of a single model, let me tell you!

Also, can I claim Its a rescue for the Hueys? They were an ebay purchase, but I think they look good for Pencil sharpeners!

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Roughly what scale are those? The look plenty good for Hueys to me and I might need some soonish when my cold war project snowballs.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Today's my birthday and I used it as an excuse to force my friends to play tiny Black Powder battles. The first was a Union breakout across two bridges. It ended up being a solid Confederate victory as the federal commander tried to divide his forces. Pics:

Next up was a cavalry raid- we had a special rule where the cavalry could be issued an order to pillage. If they succeed, they could roll a 4+ to destroy an objective. Rolling a second time destroyed the objective on a 2+ and a third destroyed it automatically. Intrepid brigadier BULBASAUR set Nathan Bedford Forrest's brigade upon the Union and destroyed 3 of the 4 objectives before the Union reinforcements could arrive. Pics:

We ended the day with an attack on a Confederate fort! The Union had an ironclad in support and it was amazing. We played with it always getting a 2+ save, it was immune to small arms fire, had 6 stamina and 4 rifled cannon and if it was Shaken it had to head back upstream. We fought to a standstill- the Confederate trenches were annihilated but the stronghold was untouched. Pics!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Arquinsiel posted:

Roughly what scale are those? The look plenty good for Hueys to me and I might need some soonish when my cold war project snowballs.

Their somewhere between 10 and 15mm, I'll try and take a photo of them next to the 15mm men I've just painted - Their a little on the small side, but you can call them A or B models before they added the extra meter to the fuselage.

For £20 for the lot I can't complain - how often are heuys on the ground? The Gunship on used some spare parts off a battlefront Hog pack - so I have a Hog and Frog for minimal outlay.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
What are some good blogs to see pictures of armies, preferably 15mm and under (would take scifi/fantasy recommendations as well). Brainstorming ideas for a purchase and I need some inspiration.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Grey Hunter posted:

Cross posting from the Oath thread - I've just finished some Vietnam War stuff for FNG. The bases all have a holder for micro dice.

Fortunate Son just started playing in my head when I saw the Hueys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

goodness posted:

What are some good blogs to see pictures of armies, preferably 15mm and under (would take scifi/fantasy recommendations as well). Brainstorming ideas for a purchase and I need some inspiration.

Just go to any project log section of Lead Adventure.