Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:frogon:

Incidentally, KoW converts down to 10mm very neatly. Just do the old inches-to-centimetres switcheroo. I'm terribly tempted. (Haha I haven't gotten any gaming done in years why do even bother?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Colonial Air Force posted:

Man, this thread! I'm putting together a naval infantry impression, so I've been heavily researching a lot of this. Most photos are definitely propaganda, but it still shows proper equipment.

There were two type of naval infantry used: infantry brigades and rifle brigade (http://balagan.info/russian-naval-infantry-in-ww2). Infantry brigades were originally part of the Navy, and so they have more Navy gear (the black uniforms, for example). Rifle brigades were navy personnel under Army control with army uniforms, so no visual difference.

By the end of the war, though, even the naval infantry brigades were wearing army uniforms, because their naval kit was worn out. So you get the army green tunic and pants, but maybe still a striped shirt, the naval buckle, and if they were lucky, their Donald Duck cap.

There's a shitload of good info online, you are correct, but the request was for books of which there are extremely few English language books on.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

There's a shitload of good info online, you are correct, but the request was for books of which there are extremely few English language books on.

That's correct. Not even THAT much online.

I did find this though: https://new.vk.com/album-16586181_114647532

Not in English, unfortunately. :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Iiiinteresting. Any idea when the period for it is? I would guess dark/Middle Ages and maybe Renaissance and classical.

As far as anyone has said, this list is still current

quote:

The themes currently in the book are:

Barbarians
Carthaginians
Chinese
Egyptians
Greeks
Huns
Indian
Macedonians & Successors
Persians
Romans
Spartans
Scythians
Thracians
Anglo-Saxons
Byzantines
Franks
Normans
Polish
Slavs
Vikings
Crusaders
Japanese
Mongols
Ottomans
English
Aztecs
Conquistadors
French
Holy Roman Empire
Scottish

Comes out next month

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
Isn't kings of war built off Black Powder anyway?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

No Pun Intended posted:

Did anyone tell them Hail Caesar exists?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

No Pun Intended posted:

No, Kings of War is its own game from scratch. A list of historical armies was requested by players, so they made this book - it's also a standalone, so you don't need the main KoW2E book to play as well, and if you want you can pit your late Imperial Romans against an army of Elves, and find out who would have really won.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Aug 11, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

As far as ranked fantasy games go, KoW is probably the best out there today. I'm not sure about how accurate this adaptation will be, though.

Speaking of semi-historicals, does anyone know when the Konflikt '47 expansion is due? I'd like to play Japan but they don't appear in the main book.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

moths posted:

As far as ranked fantasy games go, KoW is probably the best out there today. I'm not sure about how accurate this adaptation will be, though.

Speaking of semi-historicals, does anyone know when the Konflikt '47 expansion is due? I'd like to play Japan but they don't appear in the main book.

Next year.

You can play Japan, but you'd probably have to use the German Zombies and Spinne for now in the Japanese Army list.

The Japanese list will be in the main BA2 rulebook.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I hope KoW Historicals is successful if for nothing else they continue to come out with rules that replace GW Historicals (GW's best rulesets).

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Hmm...my LGS is putting out an offer for a free box of infantry if you pre-order a copy of the Bolt Action 2 rulebook.

I'm kind of tempted because it's actually seeing play here, but dammit they gave Shermans an 'easily catches fire' rule! This will not stand! :argh:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Endman posted:

Cross posting from the Oath thread:

I can't decide which Legion my dude should be from, there are so many. Are there any particular units that stand out in battles with the Goths? Because I have a few of those too.

If you're doing LIMP Romans, pick a specific army (I aimed for Julian's) and then consult Luke Sarson's work to figure out shield patterns. http://lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html

He breaks down most of the Notitia Dignitatum and identifies various Legions and Aux Pal units by East/West, etc.

IIRC, I only "aimed" for Julian because of gaps in the record and my preference to err on the side of shield patterns that were manageable paint wise.

HTH

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hmm...my LGS is putting out an offer for a free box of infantry if you pre-order a copy of the Bolt Action 2 rulebook.

I'm kind of tempted because it's actually seeing play here, but dammit they gave Shermans an 'easily catches fire' rule! This will not stand! :argh:

They have the dumb commissar rules, too. I just house rule that poo poo out, but I don't have an LGS.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Colonial Air Force posted:

They have the dumb commissar rules, too. I just house rule that poo poo out, but I don't have an LGS.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's easy to ignore by just not talking commissars. Hopefully that gets fixed in BA2.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

It's just...are there any WWII minis games that aren't borrowing from the Big Book of Wehraboo Cliches?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's one thing that makes Too Fat Lardies really, really stand out. They don't give the SS super-man rules or feature combustible Shermans, either!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

moths posted:

It's one thing that makes Too Fat Lardies really, really stand out. They don't give the SS super-man rules or feature combustible Shermans, either!

I hate to disappoint, but Chain of Command does have the Ronson tag for most shermans. I'm not sure it actually does anything, though. They also list Comissars as a soviet support option, but there's no elaboration on what they do.

EDIT: Oh, Ronsons explode on a 4+ instead of a 5+, so yeah, flammable shermans.

Commissars are apparently an "agree what they do beforehand" type thing.

Both of those are from the errata.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 11, 2016

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

gently caress commissars, where's my feldjagerkorps to round up and shoot traitors to the fatherland

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Oh heck, I was thinking of IABSM. Come on, you guys! You're better than that!

E: Their Commissars used to count as two guys for morale purposes, at least in the first errata.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 11, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

In fact, with more careful checking, only Shermans are Ronsons. Even other sponson-stowage tanks don't have it.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

If you're gonna have any tanks more prone to bursting into flames, the Panther should drat well be it.

Edit: been listening to a podcast interviewing one of the FoW devs, and apparently they use internet forums when it comes to researching. God loving dammit. :ughh:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 11, 2016

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Tamir Lenk posted:

If you're doing LIMP Romans, pick a specific army (I aimed for Julian's) and then consult Luke Sarson's work to figure out shield patterns. http://lukeuedasarson.com/NotitiaPatterns.html

Yeah, I've been making considerable use of that site; it's fantastic.

I eventually went with the Lanciarii Stobenses because they're super easy to paint and they could have been (can't be certain) a part of Valens' army at Adrianople, which lends them the dubious honour of having the Emperor killed on their watch, which is hilarious.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
FWIW, there's a huge discussion going on in the CoC forums right now about the merits of the "Ronson" tag as it applies to various tanks. Apparently it had much to do with the dry s wet storage ammo bins, and I know I've seen entries in the Consolidated Arsenal lists where only Shermans with dry storage get the Ronson tag.

Also, the rules for Commissars aren't listed in the main rules because their roles varied pretty strongly by the stage of the war. Depending on the local conditions, they ran the gamut from functional assistants/adjutants to effective morale officers to ruthless executioners to tireless propagandists. It has been suggested that the best use for them is as bonuses to the rolls for the "mens' opinion of the senior leader" in the "At the Sharp End" campaign supplement, perhaps as well as a further penalty if your commander gets summoned before his CO as a "carpet parade."

Like most of the CoC rules, the period in which the game is taking place is what will determine how most stuff should work (a fact which the historical grognard in me greatly appreciates.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
CoC is also pretty clearly made with the open invitation for players to make it their own. As in, the rulebook has only like 2-3 types of platoons for the major armies, as you're expected to make your own army lists.

We made our own commissar rules, where the commissar acts as an additional officer (which is good), but he can take priority when you roll dice to activate officers, which is bad if you'd rather give orders with another officer in another position. That kind of make sense from the memoirs and similar that we've read, where the commissars could help keep a platoon moving and operating, but also muck things up when they decided that they had a better plan than the ordinary officers, and overrule their orders. All without the Hollywood battlefield executions of FoW and other more fantasy style WW2 games.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's actually a really clever rule.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Ilor posted:

FWIW, there's a huge discussion going on in the CoC forums right now about the merits of the "Ronson" tag as it applies to various tanks. Apparently it had much to do with the dry s wet storage ammo bins, and I know I've seen entries in the Consolidated Arsenal lists where only Shermans with dry storage get the Ronson tag.

Also, the rules for Commissars aren't listed in the main rules because their roles varied pretty strongly by the stage of the war. Depending on the local conditions, they ran the gamut from functional assistants/adjutants to effective morale officers to ruthless executioners to tireless propagandists. It has been suggested that the best use for them is as bonuses to the rolls for the "mens' opinion of the senior leader" in the "At the Sharp End" campaign supplement, perhaps as well as a further penalty if your commander gets summoned before his CO as a "carpet parade."

Like most of the CoC rules, the period in which the game is taking place is what will determine how most stuff should work (a fact which the historical grognard in me greatly appreciates.

Well tell them if the Sherman gets it, the Panther should too, because it had giant loving ammo ranks in the (paper thin) sides and gasoline tended to pool on the engine deck.

The 'Ronson' nickname was bullshit invented by Belton Cooper/Belton Cooper's ghostwriter. The only time Ronson used the 'lights every time' slogan before the war was in one print advert from the early 20s. There's no proof Shermans caught fire more than any other tank - except maybe that Sherman crews survived to bitch about the fires later, while their counterparts burned to death in the tanks they couldn't escape in time.

I am angry. Angry about tanks. :argh:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have heard that the Germans also called them "Tommycookers" but I'm not sure if that's just filtered back frontline "wisdom" either.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

lilljonas posted:

CoC is also pretty clearly made with the open invitation for players to make it their own. As in, the rulebook has only like 2-3 types of platoons for the major armies, as you're expected to make your own army lists.

We made our own commissar rules, where the commissar acts as an additional officer (which is good), but he can take priority when you roll dice to activate officers, which is bad if you'd rather give orders with another officer in another position. That kind of make sense from the memoirs and similar that we've read, where the commissars could help keep a platoon moving and operating, but also muck things up when they decided that they had a better plan than the ordinary officers, and overrule their orders. All without the Hollywood battlefield executions of FoW and other more fantasy style WW2 games.

I am stealing your house rule for all my WW2 games with commissars.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well tell them if the Sherman gets it, the Panther should too, because it had giant loving ammo ranks in the (paper thin) sides and gasoline tended to pool on the engine deck.
There's a dude who is arguing exactly that point.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

lilljonas posted:

How do you determine if the Komissar messes up the order of things?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Arquinsiel posted:

I have heard that the Germans also called them "Tommycookers" but I'm not sure if that's just filtered back frontline "wisdom" either.

I always thought that was because British tank crews would always over-load their vehicles with extra ammunition, rather than the Sherman being made from firelighters.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

Yvonmukluk posted:

Edit: been listening to a podcast interviewing one of the FoW devs, and apparently they use internet forums when it comes to researching. God loving dammit. :ughh:

I don't see whats wrong with this unless you are suggesting that they just take crazy bullshit from the World of Tanks forums and put it into FoW verbatim. Which isn't what they do or what that guy was talking about.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Endman posted:

I always thought that was because British tank crews would always over-load their vehicles with extra ammunition, rather than the Sherman being made from firelighters.
Who knows where these things start? :iiam:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

spectralent posted:

How do you determine if the Komissar messes up the order of things?

I don't remember exactly how we wrote these (we sorely need to compile our house rules), but I think it might be that the commissar will automatically take the first 4 if any are rolled, and that you'll only get to use your normal senior leaders if you roll two or more fours. It's still a bit experimental.

Commissar Kip
Nov 9, 2009

Imperial Commissariat's uplifting primer.

Shake once.

Endman posted:

Yeah, I've been making considerable use of that site; it's fantastic.

I eventually went with the Lanciarii Stobenses because they're super easy to paint and they could have been (can't be certain) a part of Valens' army at Adrianople, which lends them the dubious honour of having the Emperor killed on their watch, which is hilarious.

I love your work on these mini's! Can you say where you got them? And what are you using as a base? 25mm plywood?

So my local group is really getting into skirmish games, think max 20 units a side - is there a ruleset that allows for roman era skirmish games?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Isn't there a Roman era version of SAGA or just the Crusades?

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Isn't there a Roman era version of SAGA or just the Crusades?

Late Rome era Saga: Invasions is in the works, but won't be out until January at the earliest.

BrainParasite fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Aug 14, 2016

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Holy poo poo. This sherman discussion is giving me so much deja vu. Did it show up in this thread with the exact same points like 8 months ago?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

Commissar Kip posted:

I love your work on these mini's! Can you say where you got them? And what are you using as a base? 25mm plywood?

So my local group is really getting into skirmish games, think max 20 units a side - is there a ruleset that allows for roman era skirmish games?

Thank you!

These guys are from Footsore Miniatures, specifically this range.

I'm painting them for SAGA: Invasions (due Q1 2017) and for other various small-scale Skirmish games like Open Combat.