Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Victrix Vikings are right there for all your big axe needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Speaking of KS, I just finally got my shipping email from Fireforge from their Samurai KS. Six boxes of plastic soldiers on the way! This is what I need to make enough troops for two opposing armies.

Man, they really botched the delivery of the KS to their backers. I didn't back the kickstarter and I was able to buy the entire range from an online retailer over a month ago.

The models are pretty nice, but wait until you see the weirdness with the torsos/legs.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

"From the foreword to 'The Complete Compleat Enchanter' by L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt posted:

As a history, military, and naval buff, Pratt devised a naval war game, to which his friends were invited once a month. In odd moments, he had whittled out scale models (55 feet = inch) of the world's warships, using balsa wood, wires, and pins, until there were hundreds of models crowding his shelves. The game called for the players to crawl around on the floor, moving their models the distances allowed on scales marked in knots; estimating ranges in inches to the ships on which they were firing; and writing down these estimates. Then the referees chased the players off and measured the actual ranges, penalizing ships hit so many points, according to the size of the shells, and depriving them of so many knots of speed, so many guns, and so on. When a ship had lost all its points, it was taken from the floor. There were special provisions for merchant ships, shore batteries, submarines, torpedoes, and airplanes.

In 1939, my old friend and college roommate, John D. Clark, introduced me to Pratt. A naval buff of long standing myself, I was soon an enthusiastic war gamer and a regular attendant at the Pratts' evenings, along with such colleagues as Laurence Manning, Malcolm Jameson, Ted Sturgeon, George O. Smith, and L. Ron Hubbard, who had not yet manifested himself as the pontiff of Scientology.

For several years, the war garners met in the Pratts' apartment. When this became too crowded, with fifty or more players at once, the games moved to a hall on East Fifty-ninth Street. After World War II, interest declined.

Randomly stumbled across talk of old miniature wargaming while reading last night.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Class Warcraft posted:

Man, they really botched the delivery of the KS to their backers. I didn't back the kickstarter and I was able to buy the entire range from an online retailer over a month ago.

The models are pretty nice, but wait until you see the weirdness with the torsos/legs.

Lol is it worse than the Warlord games samurai?

And yes, boxes were seen in the wild in August. Getting your Early Bird kickstarter pledge in March makes that a bit of a bummer. But to be 100% honest it's not like I've had the spare time to paint them up anyway.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

StashAugustine posted:

Now I just need to figure out how many jomsvikings I'm gonna need for Saga. Wish they had a few more daneaxe guys

Probably at least double what you intended initially

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I'm thinking 16 guard and 32 warriors for both hand weapons and two handed axes. I think I might just hope mixing up one and two handed axes looks acceptable

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

lilljonas posted:

Lol is it worse than the Warlord games samurai?

And yes, boxes were seen in the wild in August. Getting your Early Bird kickstarter pledge in March makes that a bit of a bummer. But to be 100% honest it's not like I've had the spare time to paint them up anyway.

The fit is ok, it's the proportion of legs to torsos that's the issue. A sprue of Ashigaru come with six torsos and nine sets of legs. It's super frustrating to have everything you need to make 12 more models, except for the torsos.

Meanwhile, the Samurai cav come with 12 sets of legs but 24 torsos, for some reason. They're slightly smaller than the non-cav torsos so they only work with some models and not others. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

The fit is ok, it's the proportion of legs to torsos that's the issue. A sprue of Ashigaru come with six torsos and nine sets of legs. It's super frustrating to have everything you need to make 12 more models, except for the torsos.

Meanwhile, the Samurai cav come with 12 sets of legs but 24 torsos, for some reason. They're slightly smaller than the non-cav torsos so they only work with some models and not others. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

That's weird. Maybe by just slightly extending the torsos (like a mm of green stuff or so) you could get out a few more ranks of ashigaru then?

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone played Triumph? Is it just DBA with a point system?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I played 2 games of Glory is Fleeting yesterday.

The first game I replayed the British mistake at Battle of Albuera when I left a brigade open on the flank with enemy cavalry next to them...and did not form square. For some reason I thought I would do that...and then...didn't. Wiped out a division of troops with the resulting failure cascade. My elite flanking division to the top right got slowed down to a crawl by a enemy cavalry division, and lacking cavalry myself, could never catch up to engage them. I ended up charging the enemy horse with my own foot infantry...which did not work.

The second game I did slightly better, I was able to march my elite 1813 British troops to be in a position to strike for the enemy line of communications. My cavalry charged and routed two enemy brigades...and then his last large one formed square and my horse sat around with nothing they could do about it.

I could have stopped at that point and held off to get a draw with a win on points...but decided to go for it. Charging enemy heavy artillery with infantry turned out not to be the solution.

Both games were technically a draw as neither army was defeated, but I lost both on points. More Mistakes Had Been Made and more Lessons Have Been Learnt.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Tiny tanks?

Tiny tanks.

I'm starting to refine my painting process for these, and gods knows how many Shermans I have to paint. Also tiny infantry is tiny.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

iospace posted:

Tiny tanks?

Tiny tanks.

I'm starting to refine my painting process for these, and gods knows how many Shermans I have to paint. Also tiny infantry is tiny.

Looks great! Getting little monochromatic tanks to look right is surprisingly hard.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Count Thrashula posted:

I ran into it so much when I played Advanced Squad Leader. I'm not going to name him, but there's a guy who runs a pretty big ASL reseller and is known pretty well in the community, and I played in person with him a couple times because he lived near me.

His game room was entirely decked out in SS divisional flags and he had a mannequin dressed in German camo and had an MG42 hanging on the wall. And he has a tattoo of the guy from the cover of the Up Front board game (the uh, SS soldier).

But he was just proud of his German heritage and just had an interest in history, he didn't get why it was so offensive :jerkbag: gently caress that guy. He had an incredible game collection and gaming table and stuff but super wasn't worth it to be around all that.

Edit-- SS divisional emblem dice too, that made me think of it. And all of the super rare black-colored SS game pieces for ASL. And a wall of Panzer models. I could go on but gently caress that guy.

Is it the guy with the german-named website?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Is it the guy with the german-named website?

Yup.

Nicest guy in the world but big yikes.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Oof.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Last battle in the Totensonntag Pint-Sized Campaign for Chain of Command is done, and you can read all about it here:
https://www.goonhammer.com/goonhammer-historicals-playing-a-chain-of-command-campaign-part-8-breakthrough/

Obligatory photo from the game:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Just ordered the starter pack of Victrix 12mm WW2 models because it's 192 minis for $50.

Now I just have to figure out what rules I want to play! I'm maybe leaning O-Group since I think battalion scale would be most interesting to me, and open me up for better combined arms stuff once I build out my collection more. Thoughts on O-Group? Is there a similar ruleset that does it better?

Only thing is it's weird for Victrix to include M4A3s since I don't think the Brits got any leased to them? Nitpick though, since I can just run it as an M4A4 at such a small scale.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I haven't played O-Group yet, but I like the way it's structured. There are some good YouTube videos about it that show pretty well how it plays.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I found it very dry and the token clutter annoying, but I know I'm in the minority on that opinion.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

My buddy just got infectiously excited about the new Warlord tanks game in 12mm, so I'm printing tanks and terrain this weekend.

But that's what he's using his Victrix stuff for.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Count Thrashula posted:

Just ordered the starter pack of Victrix 12mm WW2 models because it's 192 minis for $50.

Now I just have to figure out what rules I want to play! I'm maybe leaning O-Group since I think battalion scale would be most interesting to me, and open me up for better combined arms stuff once I build out my collection more. Thoughts on O-Group? Is there a similar ruleset that does it better?

Only thing is it's weird for Victrix to include M4A3s since I don't think the Brits got any leased to them? Nitpick though, since I can just run it as an M4A4 at such a small scale.

The victrix 12mm WW2 stuff rules.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

Endman posted:

Now this is actually something worth thinking about. I don't have much time for endless moralising about playing games, but there's absolutely something worth talking about when it comes to designing games.

I mean, I think ultimately historical wargames feed into what people want to play.

People want to play with Panthers, and Tigers, and "cool" tanks. People don't want to play a bunch of schmucks from the 711th Static Grenadier Division.

Even if a system makes rules that show how poo poo the average German infantry unit is (and how the Wehrmacht, especially towards the end of the war, was like a sea of shattered units with a few sprinklings of cool tanks) ... a lot of people just don't want to play them because, lets be honest, if you wanted to paint a bunch of infantry wearing the same uniform, you'd pick up a Napoleonics army instead (cos 18th century armies have the best drip).

And as others have said, just because the Nazis were bad people doesn't mean they weren't good at fighting (especially at the tactical level which wargames tend to gravitate towards), especially when wargames are designed to be "fair" with roughly equal forces on each side (whereas the Western Allies/Soviets were much better at the war-winning bit of fighting).

Disclaimer: all my WW2/Flames of War armies are Wallies units

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 30, 2024

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

tomdidiot posted:

Disclaimer: all my WW2/Flames of War armies are Wallies units

but where are they, though

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

spectralent posted:

but where are they, though
Brits:
6th Armoured in Tunisia
7th Armoured in Normandy
Guards Armoured in Holland
11th Armoured in the Rhineland
Also have some infantry which I haven't painted yet but will likely end up being 56th Infantry in Italy, and another one will be the 3rd Division in Normandy.

US:
3rd Armored in Normandy
6th Armored in Lorraine
9th Armored in the Rhineland

EDIT: Derp Where's Wally joke.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 30, 2024

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Count Thrashula posted:

The Victrix stuff is really really excellent. I am deep into it now setting up for O Group. It is probably my favorite WWII game now. I love how the fog of war and battle lines work. The campaigns (I have Normandy) are really really nice. The book is well laid out and the rules are some of the clearest they have produced. The game abstracts some stuff; you can attach heavy weapons teams to a platoon to give them some special rules, but each platoon has built in mortars/MG/bazooka that are already accounted for in their attacks. Tank combat is basically damaged or blown up. There are a lot of cool rules for stuff like mines, dozer tanks, bocage, flamethrowers, etc.

I think if you are 100% interested in the differences between each mark of tank, it may not be enough for you. But if you want to play WWII with all the toys, it works well.

I've finished a Large battalion of Americans (going to do another 2 companies so I can play a Battlegroup), a Large battalion of Germans (same plan for a Battlegroup) and am working my way thru a battalion of Brits. I have British Airborne and German Airborne on the way, and will get the US airborne when it comes out this year.

The tanks and vehicles they make are really nice too. They are easily magnetized so the turrets can rotate and pop off, and they have great details.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

tomdidiot posted:

EDIT: Derp Where's Wally joke.

I was worried :D

I'm back on my 3D printing bullshit and looking at a bunch of 15mm sengoku models i got in a kickstarter years ago. Is there anything decent for mass-battle japan stuff? Ideally something built for it that has some flavour - nothing against pike and shot but it's pretty generic.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

I'm back on my 3D printing bullshit and looking at a bunch of 15mm sengoku models i got in a kickstarter years ago. Is there anything decent for mass-battle japan stuff? Ideally something built for it that has some flavour - nothing against pike and shot but it's pretty generic.

Not any great options I’m afraid. There’s downsides to all options I’ve checked. I’m thinking of doing a lasalle hack when I get around to painting up two samurai armies, if nothing better has come out at that point.

Tenka fubu has a lot of right ideas though I haven’t played it (it’s a For King and Parliament hack): https://tenkafubu608971038.wordpress.com

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Battle in the Age of War by Peter Pig is pretty dang good. I haven't played it but I've read through the rules a few times and really like what I see.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

spectralent posted:

What sculptor? I was looking for something different for my next project.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
If it's Smol Miniatures their stuff is GREAT at 15mm and scales okay to 28mm

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

spectralent posted:

If you mean rules, there are a couple I've heard are in development, but won't be available for another year or so.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Count Thrashula posted:

I enjoyed O Group a lot the time I was able to demo it. It definitely has the feel of trying to manage multiple flashpoints across the map.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
A five minute video from the 80s (?) showing how wargames figures designing used to be done, followed by a "How to Wargame" section with Ian Dickie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTgt7l4n0ck

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Apr 2, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

man it's weirdly hard to find gripping beast lead spears in the US, I think badger games is the only place I can find that has them on their store and they're usually out of stock

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

tomdidiot posted:

I mean, I think ultimately historical wargames feed into what people want to play.

People want to play with Panthers, and Tigers, and "cool" tanks. People don't want to play a bunch of schmucks from the 711th Static Grenadier Division.

I am the complete opposite of this. I far prefer playing odd, hopeless, or irregular armies.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Count Thrashula posted:

Battle in the Age of War by Peter Pig is pretty dang good. I haven't played it but I've read through the rules a few times and really like what I see.

good game imo

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Cessna posted:

I am the complete opposite of this. I far prefer playing odd, hopeless, or irregular armies.

Exactly! For WW2 games, the shonkier the vehicle the better, for me. It's all about pushing the lovely hand you've given yourself as far as you can - makes actually getting a win that much better! :D

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

This is how I ended up painting a platoon of cape town highlanders for north africa in chain of command. In kilts. It was just too odd to miss out on.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 3, 2024

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I ended up cancelling my Pendraken order after it took 6+ weeks for them to tell me 'you're still in the queue for casting'. I'm heading to Salute 2024 on Saturday, and I think my fantasy/sci-fi itch is being sufficiently scratched with Renegade Scout, WHFB 3e/4e, etc. and I'm considering my options for a small historicals project.

My gut feeling was to go for the dark ages, specifically because while armies might be relatively samey internally, they are quite distinct from each other - the exact opposite of my Pike and Shotte armies.

I'd put together this neat little NW-Europe centric flow chart of the major powers I'm considering:

The colours show the army region and the white annotations show the basis around which the army is built. The 3Pk-based army can be Pre-Feudal Scots or North Welsh or Pitcish, while a 3Ax based army could be Norse Irish or Welsh, etc. The idea being that with a limited number of figures I could end up with a variety of match-ups. The problem though, is that while I can have many match-ups I think each battle in that matchup is going to mostly end up the same tactically since the armies are both small and not all that tactically versatile. I make it about 8 combinations before you include the vikings - which artificially bumps it up to 15 or so because they fight everyone.

That appears to be de rigeur for Dark Ages battles though - the armies are really single faceted in my area of interest. It got me thinking about other eras and whether the armies have variety internally (i.e. pike and shot) or externally (i.e. romans vs gauls).

I guess Napoleonics are a bit of a half-half proposition - externally their armies have SOME variance, but not massively: you have the French with their attack columns, the Spanish with their dubious morale, the Austrians with their terrible command structure. Internally while there's some variety with the Russian grand batteries and cossacks, or British two-rank line it's not quite as significant as all-knights vs all-spears. Maybe that's why it endures as a period for wargaming?

It's certainly re-ignited my interest for the Napoleonic period over the SYW (where the detail is almost completely in the uniforms, rather than composition or tactics as far as I can tell).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been tempted by the Bauda Norse Irish for years, but I never get around to actually pulling the trigger on them. Plus I have no idea if anyone at HATE plays DBA anyways :shrug:

May see you at Salute. I will be the one who looks like a goon.