Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Eh, you can have stupid rules in any game.

I think it's more that the miniature games have miniatures - it's another aspect of the hobby. For people who don't like minis and/or measuring distance, &c., a hex-based chit game is better.

I like both.

EDIT: Do people actually collect these "patches" that come in FoW blisters?

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
To the person considering 15mm moderns from QRF, timely enough they have a 15% sale until the 24th:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/551732/

I might pick up a blister or two to round out my Carthaginians, all I need are three commanders and some light cavalry.

EDIT: if you are curious about picking up a DBA army they have some good deals, most of them around 10 quid. That's like two beers at a pub over where I live.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jan 12, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Some more lovely photographs of stuff Im working on tonight.
Baccus 6mm French Generals for Black Powder.

General Desnouettes

Marshal Bessieres and Marshall Davout

When they are all based I will stick them in the lightbox.

Its hard to do close ups of 6mm figures as individually they only really work from a good arms length away.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

Eh, you can have stupid rules in any game.

I think it's more that the miniature games have miniatures - it's another aspect of the hobby. For people who don't like minis and/or measuring distance, &c., a hex-based chit game is better.

I like both.

EDIT: Do people actually collect these "patches" that come in FoW blisters?
I think it was just bad luck, but the layout of rules was worse than GW's and it generally made little sense so we just gave up and went to play Bloodbowl instead.

I was wondering what they were for, but never really got around to finding out. I presume they're just to make it look more interesting.

Morham
Jun 4, 2007

quote:

To the person considering 15mm moderns from QRF, timely enough they have a 15% sale until the 24th:

Already picked up my stuff yesterday and completely missed the bit about a sale....typical...never mind I might pick some more up before the 25th, my other stuff should (hopefully) have arrived by then :) Thanks for the heads up anyway!

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I got all my FoW Soviets, now I just have to put them on their bases so I can play (and then prime, paint, and flock them).

I bought too many HQs, I think; I didn't realize the Battalion HQ came with so much. Oh well. One can never have enough Soviets!

EDIT: Does it matter if I throw in some of the SMG guys for my platoons, since the blisters come with them, even though I'm not using them? I'm not sure how WYSIWYG Flames of War is.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 13, 2010

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lord Commissar posted:

I got all my FoW Soviets, now I just have to put them on their bases so I can play (and then prime, paint, and flock them).

I bought too many HQs, I think; I didn't realize the Battalion HQ came with so much. Oh well. One can never have enough Soviets!

EDIT: Does it matter if I throw in some of the SMG guys for my platoons, since the blisters come with them, even though I'm not using them? I'm not sure how WYSIWYG Flames of War is.

The SMG guys are msot likely your NCO's.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
Has anybody had any experiences fielding one of the lists for a really lovely force, like the Luftwaffe Field Divisions or some of the light tank lists from Eastern Front?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!

Lord Commissar posted:

One or two guys here or there won't really matter. As long as you don't try and pass off some grunts for something that takes a different force org slot (ie these riflemen here are really an LMG).

No Pun Intended fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 14, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Irregular Miniatures have a wide variety of historics and some moderns, in all the expected scales (2,6,10,15,20 & 25mm). Some of the sculpts don't look amazing but at smaller scales that's not a huge issue, and they have a really big selection of 6mm buildings/scenery for pre-20th century settings.

Also some kind of 6mm mammoth miniatures and rulesets for "Tusk: the classic game of mammoth hunting from 12,000BC to 1914AD" which would suit whoever wanted a caveman based game.

Edit:

Serotonin, I don't know how you avoid going loving insane painting 6mm infantry as well as you do

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 14, 2010

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Serotonin, I don't know how you avoid going loving insane painting 6mm infantry as well as you do

6mm is easier to paint than 28mm. Noone believes me.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Serotonin posted:

6mm is easier to paint than 28mm. Noone believes me.

I do. 15mm is easier than 28mm, and 54mm is downright intimidating.

EDIT: reading through Killer Katanas 2, and some things look interesting and some are a bit strange. I like the idea that you have a deck of card that you take turn drawing to activate units, but I'm not sure about the whole casualty chart thing. As in "my 24 guys with rating 4 attack you, so they cause.... 3 casualties, and an additional one on a 6+". It just seem a bit awkward to need to look at a chart for every combat instead of having a simple chart to memorize. While I can imagine that having a pretty set amount of casualties for an attack makes it more strategic and less down to luck, it feels a bit clunky.

On the other hand, they have special alternative rules for seppuku, red units being better because they are painted red and fighting retreats protected by glorious last stands.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 14, 2010

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

The extra HQ stands will come in handy if you decide to branch out in slightly different organizations or add platoons of AT rifles or light AT guns (but I think Battlefront is packaging the new late war sov. AT guns with command stands now, so it could all be moot).

As for the occasional SMG trooper on a rifle/mg infantry base, no one will care.

I saved oddball SMG models from Battalion HQ and strelkovy boxes to put towards making a SMG co. If you're making a strelkovy or motostrelkovy force you might want to think about doing the same

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Alright so after stumbling upon this thread (and by extension, historicals), I've taken quite an interest in Flames of War. Not too long ago, I played 40k, and as a result many of my friends now play, but I'd grown tired of it. So I'll need new brushes and paints and such, and was planning on getting the ones from the site to correspond with the painting suggestions in the books. Is this a good idea?

Also, since I have no access to a computer right now, I'm forced to use my PS3s browser. As a result, I can't actually see what each of the box sets contain. I was thinking of starting an American para company and German grenadierkompanie (two armies so I can lure my friends from 40k :smug: ), but I 'm not sure if I should get 2 platoons and an HQ or one of the box sets.

Anything else I should know that isn't common knowledge about the game would be cool to know before I drop hundreds on it too.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Sokrateez posted:

Alright so after stumbling upon this thread (and by extension, historicals), I've taken quite an interest in Flames of War. Not too long ago, I played 40k, and as a result many of my friends now play, but I'd grown tired of it. So I'll need new brushes and paints and such, and was planning on getting the ones from the site to correspond with the painting suggestions in the books. Is this a good idea?

Also, since I have no access to a computer right now, I'm forced to use my PS3s browser. As a result, I can't actually see what each of the box sets contain. I was thinking of starting an American para company and German grenadierkompanie (two armies so I can lure my friends from 40k :smug: ), but I 'm not sure if I should get 2 platoons and an HQ or one of the box sets.

Anything else I should know that isn't common knowledge about the game would be cool to know before I drop hundreds on it too.

The "official" paint and tools are probably more expensive than non-official ones, and not necessarily better.

The para company box 4 command teams, 5 bazooka teams, 2 60mm mortar teams, and 18 Rifle/MG teams.

There are a couple of grenadierkompanie boxes I see on their site: The big Afrikakorps box and the SS box.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

So I'll definitely be going with the American para company box since it comes with lots more than 2 platoons and an HQ but there don't seem to be any straight up grenadierkompanie boxes? I mean footslogger rifle company types? Or am I going to have to piece it together platoon by platoon?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

There's the Festungkompanie which has: 5 command teams, 2 snipers, 3 8cm mortars, 3 light mortars, 1 Panzerschrek team, 1 Puppchen team, 18 MG Teams, 3 Goliaths demolition carriers, 2 R-35 tank bunkers, and 4 MG tobruks.

The SS-Panzergrenadierkompanie box has: 6 command teams, 4 with Panzerfaust options, 3 sniper teams, 2 Panzershreck teams, 2 optional Panzerfaust SMG teams, 4 HMG teams, and 3 7.5cm PaK 40 guns.

There are others, too, like Sturmkompanie and Sperrverband Infantry.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Sokrateez posted:

So I'll definitely be going with the American para company box since it comes with lots more than 2 platoons and an HQ but there don't seem to be any straight up grenadierkompanie boxes? I mean footslogger rifle company types? Or am I going to have to piece it together platoon by platoon?

There's two different US Parachute Rifle company boxes, one from D Minus One which has a lot of stuff and one from Hell's Highway that is the stripped down mandatory. They have the same box art but different prices.

If you want straight up grenadiers, you're not gonna find a great box set for them. That being said you could probably make a force using either the 351 grenadierdivision box or the sperrverband box. I'd recommend against the SS box, as those models are gonna have helmet covers (unless you want to do SS of course, as there's all sorts of stuff for them now).

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I grabbed 'Stalin's Onslaught' the other day as my first source book for Flames of War and have pretty much decided on two armies I'm going to field.

For Soviets I'm going with the heavy tank company, including a command tank (IS-2) and two lots of five IS-2 tanks for the mandatory options, and then a Udamy Strelkovy Batalon (so I'll have infantry too) and a flight of IL-2 Shturmoviks (I love the look of these planes from the old PC game of the same name).

For my German army I plan to buy the army box for the 78. Sturmdivision Sturmkompanie. (http://www.flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=870)

I reckon I'll spend my first couple years playing FoW based on these two armies, and eventually expand and get a paratrooper army cause lets face it we all love Band of Brothers.

I wonder if Battlefront will profit on the release of the Pacific mini series this year and expand FoW to the pacific theater of war?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

There's two different US Parachute Rifle company boxes, one from D Minus One which has a lot of stuff and one from Hell's Highway that is the stripped down mandatory. They have the same box art but different prices.

If you want straight up grenadiers, you're not gonna find a great box set for them. That being said you could probably make a force using either the 351 grenadierdivision box or the sperrverband box. I'd recommend against the SS box, as those models are gonna have helmet covers (unless you want to do SS of course, as there's all sorts of stuff for them now).

Suppose I'll just go with a late German HQ and 2 late grenadier platoons, since they seemed to have discontinued the grenadierkompanie box. Now I just have to decide which army to start with!

The Band of Brothers thing is my inspiration too, Roma, but I'm going to take the "Um, these are Italian veterans of the 505th. I liked paratroopers way before HBO :colbert:" angle.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Part of the 40th Army, 5th Motorized Rifle Division, somewhere in Herat province in the mid 80s

Click here for the full 1200x406 image.

I've got about thirteen vehicles (btr-70s, T-72s & BM-21s) and then as many infantry as I can face left and then I'm done for my soviet force. Also need a better way to photograph teeny models.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sokrateez posted:

Suppose I'll just go with a late German HQ and 2 late grenadier platoons, since they seemed to have discontinued the grenadierkompanie box. Now I just have to decide which army to start with!
If you get the Festungs Kompanie box you will not regret it. This I promise you.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Part of the 40th Army, 5th Motorized Rifle Division, somewhere in Herat province in the mid 80s

Also need a better way to photograph teeny models.
Nice.

Heres a hint, If you are using a white backgrounds, set your cameras expsoure compensation by +1 or 2 stops.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Nice.

Heres a hint, If you are using a white backgrounds, set your cameras expsoure compensation by +1 or 2 stops.

:ssh: I usually just hit the make picture go now button but will EXPERIMENT

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.

Roma posted:

I wonder if Battlefront will profit on the release of the Pacific mini series this year and expand FoW to the pacific theater of war?

IIRC BF has no plans to release pacific rules. Mainly because there is far less interest in the PT, and the lack of terrain support. Having to cook up 15mm jungle terrain would be less than stellar, I imagine. The fact that force composition would probably end up being far less varied than the ET/North Africa probably doesn't help either.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

WW2 has limited content, so they'll probably do Pacific at some point. I wouldn't count on it being any time in the near future though, they've got plenty of European stuff to cover yet.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

WW2 has limited content, so they'll probably do Pacific at some point. I wouldn't count on it being any time in the near future though, they've got plenty of European stuff to cover yet.

The entire Early War third of the war, to mention one thing.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

lilljonas posted:

The entire Early War third of the war, to mention one thing.

I think it's in the pipeline for the next year or two though at least, so there is that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Man, I have no idea at all who I'd play in Early War.

Do you think they'll go all the way back to '39? I'm not sure playing the French would be all that exciting.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Lord Commissar posted:

Do you think they'll go all the way back to '39? I'm not sure playing the French would be all that exciting.

The french had some decent tanks back in '40 when the Germans invaded, but they were using antiquated tactics. I think early war would be quite a bit more interesting than it turned out to be.

And hell, the French can't be less interesting than playing some of the Eastern Front minor axis powers.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
Early War is supposed to be out this year, they've been hyping it for a while.

I want to play the French. :(

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

FirstCongoWar posted:

Early War is supposed to be out this year, they've been hyping it for a while.

I want to play the French. :(

I want to play the poles. Plenty of people play germans as it is.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

I could see playing Poland, as a descendant of people who fled Poland to avoid the Nazis.

Plus, bringing out horse cavalry against tanks would be hilarious.

SpinyNorman867
Jan 5, 2006
".....Dinsdale?"

Arquinsiel posted:

If you get the Festungs Kompanie box you will not regret it. This I promise you.

I'm looking to do something similar to Sokrateez and have seen this boxed set too. I don't have any rule or army books yet and I have no idea what makes this a better choice than the other boxed sets of similar size or price. Can you give me a few more details?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

Roma posted:

The problem for me is my interest in the PT lies in the Air and Naval campaigns and not the Island hopping jungle bashing that FoW would cover.

There is a FoW Tournament at Easter here that I am thinking about taking my 101st to.

If anyone here is tournament experienced; are there any lists I should watch out for or anything that is a must to field?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

No Pun Intended posted:

The problem for me is my interest in the PT lies in the Air and Naval campaigns and not the Island hopping jungle bashing that FoW would cover.

I'm in the same boat (er, no pun intended). I'd much rather play a sea game.

Speaking of that, is the Axis & Allies naval game any good?

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

I saw it but I never played it. There are some other naval systems you can check out:

Victory at Sea
Naval Thunder
Grand Fleets

I haven't had much experience with these games; but I can probably rig up a game of Victory at Sea if I wanted to (read: can be arsed).

Linky

DiscipleoftheClaw
Mar 13, 2005

Plus I gotta keep enough lettuce to support your shoe fetish.
Also like, you would probably need to give the FoW rules a serious facelift for jungle/island fighting. I dunno!

I need to find a store that runs decent tournaments, I just found out a store that is running one of the US national things is close to me. Anyone ever been to Maplewood Hobbies in Jersey? I'm debating taking the trainride there to check it out.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I totally want to play the Czechs. P-38(t) horde? Yes please.

SpinyNorman867 posted:

I'm looking to do something similar to Sokrateez and have seen this boxed set too. I don't have any rule or army books yet and I have no idea what makes this a better choice than the other boxed sets of similar size or price. Can you give me a few more details?
You get the standard command with both anti-tank options, three snipers, three light mortars, three heavy mortars, three platoons of Grenadiers with enough MG's to make them into MG squads rather then Rifle/MG squads if desired, four little bases of guys popping out of holes in the ground with MG's and (I think) three Renault R-35 tank turrets mounted as pillboxes as well as enough Panzerknacker figures to take that option for all platoons and your company command. Bases for everything.

Battlefront are also a tiny bit dodgy with their packaging, I have once gotten a HMG platoon with on spotter replaced by a random figure and no stowage or crew in tank blisters. However, with the large boxes you occasionally (in all three company boxes I've opened anyway) find that they've given you about fifteen guys more than you need above and beyond the normal options. This *generally* allows you to get a minimum size extra platoon of some kind out of them if you can get a spare few bases.

[EDIT]While I'm at it, if you do things like take one guy off every base you can stretch them even further. With a bit of cleverness you'd easily make a three-platoon Grenadierkompanie with a full HMG and one-section mortar platoons.

Arquinsiel fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jan 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

The French were beaten by superior strategy and superior tactics, not superior equipment. The whole "lol French can't fight!:rolleyes:" attitude is pretty much only an American stereotype, and I think there's quite a few Europeans who would like to try them out. If nothing else because of the very clear feeling of trying to do better than the historical commanders with the resources given. Same goes with the Polish, underdog armies have a knack at getting fans.

I finished cleaning up my Germans today, it's 100 infantry mixed with NCO's, submachine guns and MG-42s. I'm reading Festung Europa but I'm new at this, is the MG bases just 4 riflemen and a submachine gun, or is it riflemen and a MG-42? Or are the MG-42 only used in the heavy plutoons, and just two guys on a small base?

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Jan 16, 2010