Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Polikarpov posted:

Their painting station is awesome and at $22 bux is a steal. I think I got them a dozen sales when I posted a picture of mine to my local gaming group.

Ordered the paint station on your recommendation. It is indeed awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

CoC looks really fuckin complicated

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm not getting my rulebook until October, should've gone local :(

I've had almost 0 luck going local. One store told me they see no issues getting their books tomorrow but they didn't have specifics on how many they were getting.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Safety Factor posted:

I'm looking at starting a Bolt Action US Army... army and this seems like the right thread to ask questions. What is a good starting point? I'm aware of the starter army and it seems like my best option. Are there any pitfalls to watch out for or alternative builds from this box? It seems like the list included in it is lacking anti-tank, for example. Any advice is appreciated; my plan had been to buy the army book before purchasing anything else, but my FLGS is out of stock at the moment and their new rulebooks haven't come in yet.

As someone who just started as well I'd probably give up now on ordering stuff at FLGS. For whatever reason Warlord is just terrible at supporting stores. Half the stuff they just couldn't order at all. Rulebooks aren't expected until next month.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

The KV-1/2 is a really good kit. It comes with lots of minis and some smoke templates but also it just fits together really well

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I am getting into Bolt Action. I have lots of Soviet models, mostly painted. I am painting a bunch of infantry and weapons teams right now. I am not a good painter but I am happy with my Officer:

Does anyone have a good shop for battle mats in the US? I am going to make a board for my garage but at this point I'd rather use a battle mat than flock a whole board.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I picked up a Cigar Box Battles felt mat, it's really really nice. Definitely exactly what I wanted.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

You guys obviously know/read a lot on WWII. I have on my plate to read a WWII book this winter. I read and really liked Battle Cry of Freedom for ACW, and McPherson's Antietam book was also excellent. I was looking at Beevor or Hastings for a one book WWII read, is either of those better? I noticed Beevor is a historian and Hastings is a journalist. I am looking for something thought provoking that also is readable, like McPherson. Is there another book that is better than either of these?

As a Soviet player, I am particularly interested in Eastern front, and I read Beevor's work is better in that regard, but I think you guys might know better.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Endman posted:

Whoever at Warlord is responsible for their studio paint jobs needs to loving stop.

Take the Saxon Miniatures range they acquired a couple of years back as an example.

Here are some that were painted prior to the acquisition:

And afterwards by Warlord:

They're not horrible, but they're also not exactly inspiring me to buy them either.

I really like their painting because it doesn't make me just want to quit painting when I see how poo poo my minis look compared to theirs

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Here are some lovely pics of what I've done over the last few months. I am not a good painter by any means, but I am really happy with what I've ended up with. This many minis is a lot of practice.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

thanks guys, it's actually a really good feeling to have a fully painted army. playing some BA on Monday

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Played my first game of Bolt Action, really like the game, got a couple rules wrong but the Soviets wiped the floor with the Germans :shobon:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Eastern front action, September 1942. playing a fully painted game is so cool

alg
Mar 14, 2007

everything is WLG except the Panzer III and Hanomag, which are Rubicon, and the zis-3, which is....some small manufcaturer in England.

the houses are from gcmini.com

alg
Mar 14, 2007

We only played a few turns before the store closed for the night. I was afraid of his AT so I kept my T-34 back to start. My Assault Engineers rolled in and that personal armor is really great for getting them parked on an objective.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I have the Epic Battles ACW box and it is really nice. I am working on clipping everything so I can prime & paint this winter. I will say the book that came with it is extremely small. I ordered the hardcover and Glory Hallelujah! and I am glad I did, they are much nicer.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

as a Historicals newbie, I am really happy with Epic American Civil War because it just looks a lot better on the table with 2500 minis instead of 100

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I actually painted some 15mm minis!! I am really happy with it...I know I will only get better with the other 200+

alg
Mar 14, 2007

:eyepop: more napoleonics in this thread

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Fashionable Jorts posted:

The worst part of Napoleonics is that there's no way I could convince my friends to buy into them.

play this for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Odqg6_k5E8

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Picked up some Perry Civil War plastic minis. These are just about the nicest plastic minis I've ever seen. Really excited to get into Sharp Practice with these and Black Powder with my epic minis, which I can't believe I'm painting.

edit: this is where I picked up my minis:

alg fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Nov 18, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Is there a reason some historical rulebooks are super tall, do they just not want us to use shelves

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Who makes decent felt/cloth rivers & roads in the US?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

First two groups for Sharp Practice done :)

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Comstar posted:

Warlord games seem to assume you have an 8x6 foot table! I saw a Diorama at Gettysburg of the *entire* battlefield that I think was smaller.

Almost every ACW scenario in Black Powder calls for a 10x14 table :11tea:

alg fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 25, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Has anyone ever done 28mm minis like the Warlord Epic strips of guys? They look perfect lined up.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

IncredibleIgloo posted:

They are re-launching WHFB?

Someday

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Tried learning how to play Sharp Practice! on my own today. I am still not sure I understand movement (can I change direction during a move? or do I have to Wheel?) and Controlled/uncontrolled fire, but I am going to keep playing solo games to try and learn more.

gallery: https://imgur.com/a/OUGo65k

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If it's like the ACW box, the rule book is the same (but excruciatingly small) and it will come with a small supplement which comes from the time period supplement (for ACW it comes with a 10 page manual out of Glory Hallelujah!)

They add in some measurement rules and basing rules for Epic minis but otherwise its the same game. I would look into A Clash of Eagles, the Napoleonic supplement, to understand French v Russians

alg
Mar 14, 2007

This is a really good summary of why ASL isn't a historical simulation

https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2020/07/farewell-advanced-squad-leader.html

alg
Mar 14, 2007

best bale posted:

Is there any US distributors for Too Fat Lardies? I want to get What a Tanker but the shipping for a single book is painfully steep.

Alternatively, what other books are recommended? I don’t have a club or even a gaming group so most if not all of my games will be solo/2 player skirmishes. I’m leaning towards chain of command and sharp practice

BrigadeGames has all their stuff: https://www.brigadegames.com/Too-Fat-Lardies-What-a-Tanker--WW2-Rules-for-Tank-Combat_p_5425.html?amp=1

I would definitely pick up Sharp Practice also, it's really a great game

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Played another learning game of Sharpe Practice!. This time I used a real scenario instead of the straight up battle. I got to do a lot more maneuvering and use different systems.

The Federals were sent to locate a spy who had gone dark, but they weren't sure where they were or who they were, as nobody had ever met this native of Southwestern Tennessee.

Lt. Howlett attempted to interview a young boy hiding in a barn, who only shouted "Nuts!" in reply and ran off...

Two local women were interviewed by the charming Lt. McGuire. Though happy to receive some rations to replace the food the Rebs had stolen days before from them, neither were the spy.

Capt. McAndrew and the main Federal column made their way up the field quickly as the Rebels were not drawing the cards they needed to begin deployment...

The battle ended with Capt. McAndrew and the main column taking devastating fire from the main Rebel line, which showed up too late, as Lt. McGuire found "Jeb" hiding behind a pile of manure in a large barn, holding the passcodes for the Rebel camp not far off.

I think I am finally getting a grasp on the rules. The book has specific rules kind of mixed in all over, and some rules that refer to other sections are put in breakouts.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

lilljonas posted:

not the best at editing books

This is a massive understatement. Sharp Practice is an absolutely amazing game, but horrifically edited and proofread.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

If you like 28mm I would definitely pick up Sharp Practice! Even if you play larger games later, with a skirmish game like SP you can at least get playing before you're done with your full size army. And it's a really really good game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since it's been out for a bit, do people like the Warlord epic battles sets? I'm thinking of grabbing one of the starters and maybe some buildings for my wife's birthday. There isn't a quality difference right, it's just preference of ACW vs Waterloo?

e: i swear my wife also likes painting and smashing minis together but this feels like buying presents for myself and will never leave gently caress

I have everything for ACW and really like it. I like painting the minis a lot, of course the Union troops look good as Western theater. I haven't really played a game yet, but I think a beer n pretzels style game with them will be fine. I have Pickett's Charge too and read it once but it's like reading a software manual.

The minis are really excellent and fit well in 3 stand regiments on a 6x4 table.

The ACW starter, even with 3 stand units, is not big enough to play most of the scenarios in the book, unfortunately.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Signal posted:

Anyone have any advice for starting Saga? Specifically vikings and age of magic.

I am just starting Saga as well. I picked up the rules and Age of Vikings, which were tough to find, actually. I got them from Badger Games.

I am going to start with Anglo-Danes (and build enough for Anglo-Saxons down the road) and Vikings, so I ordered the Vikings Victrix plastic bag, one pack of plastic Huscarls, and one pack of Late Saxon / Anglo Danes plastics. I got 2 packs of the Dark Age archers/slingers. I'm sure you can go much cheaper, but the pandemic has been pretty good to my wife and I and staying at home painting minis is a really safe activity so i don't mind spending a bit. I can say too the pics I saw comparing Victrix to the other manufacturers don't look pretty for the other ones.

These Victrix minis are really, really incredible. I only have Perry ACW to compare them to, but I really like them a lot. The weapons are pretty spindly though so I did go ahead and order some wire to make spears if I have to.

I got the dice (Bagdergames, Cottonjim, and Brigade Games all have them) and I got some dogs from Cottonjim for warlord bases.

The only place I could reliably find measuring sticks was from Sarissa Precision in England.

I got all the minis straight from Victrix BECAUSE they have Little Big Men Studios shields & banners (the shields are exclusive to Victrix store). The shields fit Victrix specifically. They are extremely easy to put on; they are self adhesive with a water transfer on the back. You just stick them on, paint on a little water, then slide the white transfer piece off. They are perfect. The holes for the boss are even cut out already.

Lastly I got MDF bases, I prefer MDF for the weight. I got 25mm for Levy/Warriors, 30mm for Hearthguard, and 40mm for warlords. I got them from Phalanx Consortium and had them drill 4mm holes in the center of each base so that I could put a magnet in there. I got kitchen magnet roll and put it down inside the case I got for these minis. They won't survive being thrown out of a moving vehicle, but just for moving around, they won't budge.

I am not a good painter at all, by no stretch of the imagination, but I have gotten to the point of being really happy with what I can do. I went ahead and made a fen for Saga, and I have a couple things coming from Fogou miniatures for terrain. This is my first half point of Anglo-Dane warriors.

What I am hoping for is that with Sharp Practice as my narrative game from my preferred time period, I have Saga and Bolt Action to flesh out my options. I know a lot of people who will only play something that is really really interesting to them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

6 pts of Vikings, I still need to put together a standard bearer, and I have more Warriors and Hearthguard in the box to finish so I have options

These Victrix minis are really, really cool. I know I'm not a great painter but I am so far beyond what I could do before COVID, it really is night & day

alg
Mar 14, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks for the input. I think I'm gonna take a look at Saga stuff, probably Anglo-Danes and Normans for the 1066 match-up once I've got through with the Vikings (which seem like they've got enough hearthguard and warriors but basically no levies, in Saga terms.) It does seem like most of the suppliers (including the people who make Saga itself) are from the UK, is there an easier way to get stuff in the US?

You can buy Victrix Dark Age archers and they will work for all 3 factions. You can buy them from Badger Games, Shield Wall Gaming Club, and Cotton Jim Games in the US.

If you bought one pack of Dark Age Archers (which come with slingers too, which Anglo-Danes can use) you could cover Normans and Anglo-Danes. One pack of Anglo-Saxon/Anglo-Danes (not Huscarls) will cover Anglo-Danes too, though there might only be 4 total Hearthguard type minis with two handers in there. Normans cost a lot more, since cavalry only comes in packs of 12, and you will need a lot more than that, plus possible infantry.

Personally, I would stick with Vikings vs Anglo-Danes, since that is the cheapest path to start. One pack of Vikings + half a pack of Archers will cover you.

Little Big Men makes shield transfers that fit the Victrix minis, Badger Games has them.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

a Viking pack will come with:

24 unarmored guys that can have swords, spears, or axes
24 armored guys that can have swords, spears or axes
12 armored guys that can have swords, axes, and some 2h axes, or some banners

If you get the Dark Age Archers pack from Victrix, it comes with:

24 archers
12 slingers

You could get Gripping Beast Dark Age Warriors to use as javelin levy so you could save your viking pack for Warriors and Hearthguard. But I would probably start with archers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Thanks for the tips. Got a few general questions: how do Saga armies keep different grouping of units straight? The stuff I've done before (Star Wars Legion) has units grouped into fixed sizes (and with more-or-less consistent uniforms) so I can paint and base each unit differently, but Saga appears to have extremely flexible unit sizes. Also, looking into the future how many different types of kit are there- seems like all the Vikings would be the same except Norsegaels and Rus have different levies; then Saxons/Danes, Normans/Carolingians, Scots/Irish, and then Welsh and Byzantines by themselves- but I dont really know a lot about the differences in gear or color between factions.

I can't really speak to different factions but I can say for my Vikings and Anglo-Danes, I have used base sizes to differentiate, because the bases are flexible. My Warriors and Levy are on 25mm bases. Hearthguard are on 30mm bases, and Warlord is on 40mm. This allows me to make units of whatever size I want, since you buy units but you can organize them anyway you want when you play the game:

4 Hearthguard
8 Warriors
12 Levy

So you could buy two units of 4 Hearthguard, and put them together in an 8 man unit, or keep them separate as 4 man. You could buy 24 Warriors and make two units of 12. There are dice pool limits which limit the upper end of your unit size, but you can always adjust your unit sizes when you start the game.

My advice would be to base all your Warriors the same way so you can vary the size of the units. For Hearthguard with equipment options, I am just making more minis. I.e. for Anglo-Danes I have 8 hearthguard with 2h, and 8 hearthguard with shield and sword.