Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Does anyone have any favorite websites/recommendations for 6mm terrain? (collecting 6mm baccus napoleonics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I bought my buddy Muskets and Tomahawks for his birthday, and picked up some Perry Miniatures and paints so we can play some games together. This is my first time painting in about 10 years, and it's actually been a lot of fun. I'm fudging a box of perry plastic British to be Americans and French, and I have some Stockbridge Indians coming by mail.

Anyway, I'll try and post some work in progress screens over the next couple months, please excuse the picture quality.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 19, 2014

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

radlum posted:

Thanks! I'll buy them now, though I'll have to use the Perry Miniatures site since the Warstore is too expensive for international shipping.

Where are you located?

E: in Peru I guess, check out shipping from Architects of War

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

For what it's worth, bolt action turns are broken up in similar ways to CoC. You pull order dice to activate individual units, so it's a random ebb and flow.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I posted a while back that I was picking up the brush after a 10 year break. This is actually my first time doing historicals-- last time I was a teenager and played Games Workshop stuff. I've had a lot of fun with Muskets and Tomahawks and Bolt Action.

I thought I'd share some picture goodness with ya'll, I'll try and get my Continentals up sometime this week. In the meantime, here are some Italian theater Fallschirmjager.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Der stubbelgeweheren

Thanks for the encouragement guys, this is the most fun I've had in a while. Cuts down on TV and video game watching too.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

This thread needs more historical image dumps, so here's my American Muskets and Tomahawks army. It's a skirmish game that has army lists for both the French and Indian War and the American Revolution, my buddy and I are playing the latter. All the flags are from GMB, and all the miniatures are Perry Brothers.

Officer

I like to think he's the Marquis de Lafayette, considering the French and English speaking components of my army.

The 3rd New York

My favorite unit. Early in the war they wore grey faced green, here they are represented wearing indigo blue coats faced buff, as per the 1779 uniform regulations. A couple guys aren't wearing coats. Fun fact: The state flag of New York is based on this regimental flag.

The Lottery Blues

My largest regiment, usually fielded as militia. They are wearing the slightly lighter blue French-made "lottery coats". I collected this army before the American plastics released, so these are all slightly-converted British plastics (I whittled off the lace). Colonial Airforce's eye twitched involuntarily at the Betsy Ross flag.

The Browncoats

As far as I can tell, the vast majority of Colonial units wore either blue or brown, so I wanted one of both. These are also converted British plastics with a snake flag from GMB.

Le Regiment Bourbonnais

These guys represent Chasseurs (and one random Grenadier, thanks Perry brothers!) of the Bourbonnais regiment, wearing white coats faced black. Most people of the time period were clean shaven, with French chasseurs being a notable exception. The mustaches really make them look Gallic either way. I field these guys in firing line or as skirmishers.

The Army's Light Infantry

The Indians are Stockbridge tribe. The uniformity of their dress is due to speed painting more than anything, I may go back and give them some variety. The white boys are Perry american "southern militia firing line", which I usually field either as riflemen or minutemen. I have 20 more of these models, so I may end up making a proper militia out of them at some point.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I'm actually in San Francisco, if you ever get out here let me know.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Awesome. Well if you're ever in town there are quite a few historical players at the Fremont Game Kastle, chief among them this guy.

Jay's Wargaming Madness

Top post is a good intro video for Muskets and Tomahawks, if anyone is interested.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

FYI Too Fat Lardies of Chain of Command fame (among other games) is having a 15% off sale on their website until the end of the month. They have PDF versions of the rules available as well.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

If you do decide to try Bolt Action, stay away from the early plastic infantry sets (late war Germans, Americans, Brits). They're super fiddly and not worth the effort.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

The vikings are coming (it's time for some SAGA baby)

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Are you in the US? If so I'd recommend ordering through an eBay dealer like NWS. Ordering from Warlord can be very unreliable and costly.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I had two orders in a row never show up, though their mail order department did try and fix things. It's good to hear I'm the exception though.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Does anyone have actual experience with Chain of Command? How fluidly does it play when both players have a grip on the rules?

E: also, how much of a travesty is it to leave off the secondary gun shield thingy on this 105? The piece is warped and I think it looks fine as is.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jul 6, 2014

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I've heard the Lardies themselves talk about playing both in 28mm and 15. But 28 is the standard.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Having grown up playing orcs and goblins in fantasy, I know the only thing that matters is how hilariously you lose the game.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Black powder works well at any scale, all the way down to 6mm. There is indeed a good deal of command variation, most of the strength of the ruleset is in the command structure and orders system, I highly recommend it.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

The best way to get people into Historicals is well-painted miniatures, which is true of any game system really.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

The Black Powder American War of Independence expansion is out today. I'm definitely going to get it and start collecting a 6mm Colonial force for the ruleset. Time to figure out a vendor...

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

It is, although I like the cartoony big heads of Adler, I'm going to go Bacchus. My buddy really prefers those and there is a big enough size difference that I'd rather our two forces look somewhat uniform.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Colonial Air Force posted:

My copy is on the way, although it's doubtful I'll play. I do have some huge 10mm forces, but I sort of prefer 28mm, and do not have nearly enough space for a 28mm Black Powder game.

I also ordered enough stuff to finish up my British 500 pt force in Bolt Action! as well as two other 500 point forces (German and Russian) because I am insane.

Yeah that's the reason my friend and I are going for 6mm. I hope I didn't come across as sarcastic before, if you're ever in the Bay Area drop me a line at evan.bale@gmail.com if you want to play BA or M&T.

E: And I'm really excited for Crescent and Cross as well.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

My copy is on the way, although it's doubtful I'll play. I do have some huge 10mm forces, but I sort of prefer 28mm, and do not have nearly enough space for a 28mm Black Powder game.

Could you do me a favor and let me know what formations they allow in the AWI expansion? I'm trying to figure out how to base for it, will be useful to know if there's anything besides line, skirmish, march column.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Well I picked up the new Rebellion AWI Blackpowder supplement, and it's absolutely fantastic; Incredibly detailed, thorough, just way more than I expected for it's cost. I'm celebrating by painting up a batch of riflemen from the new Perry continental set.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Bomb-Bunny posted:

I'm using Pike & Shotte to introduce some of my friends to historicals (coming from Warhammer/40k) how much more detailed is Rebellion by comparison to P&S or to Black Powder itself?

I can't speak for P&S, but there is a ton of history in Rebellion, pages of uniform information, background. Hell, there's four pages on the German mercenaries in the British pay. The second half of the book is a discussion of how to tailor BP traits and rules to fit the nature of the AWI, as well as 19 (!) detailed scenarios.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Crosspost from oath and miniatures thread, some more non-WW2 content for y'all. Decided to add some riflemen to my AWI Continental army from the new Perry boxed set.

nevermind the charleville musket on the right, there werent many hunter shirt arms

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I'm just going for the backcountry "Haven't had a chance to shave in a few days" look, and the charleville is slightly problematic because those are riflemen :)

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I got Black Powder: Rebellion! today. I haven't really read it yet, so I can't start the :spergin:, but so far they've already started winning my heart by including Hubbardton.

E: I also got the September issue of Wargames Illustrated, and in it are some thoughts on gas attacks for WWI so hooray!

Speaking of which

http://christopher-bunkerhill.blogspot.com/2014/08/hubbardton-1777.html

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Colonial could you help me with something?

I'm painting up a group of American light infantry next, and I'm wondering how I should paint the peaked caps. Do you have any good source images?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Yeah the later released kits (early war Germans, Japanese, us marines) are even better.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Those are so clean and bright, they really look great en masse. Makes me want to play 6mm.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

I've had a pretty busy month, but I managed to get a few more Perry's done for my AWI collection.

Continental Artillery

Informal Brits for my buddy (using the plastic continental set)

French and Continental light infantry (with more on the way)

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 11, 2014

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks! Colonial, I still have most of this set of continentals left to assemble. Do you have any favorite/interesting units and uniforms that I could try and portray?

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Has anyone played Chain of Command or Bolt Action at 15mm? I got some gift certs for miniatures for my birthday and I'm tempted to try out something in 15mm. Might make the ranges seem less 40k'ish (at least for Bolt Action).

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

So I've started that 15mm Bolt Action/Chain of Command project I was mulling over. Here's the first squad of Germans with a 28mm figure for the sake of comparison.

Some Commonwealth troops with a Staghound are next up.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

TheBlobThing posted:

This looks pretty sweet. Keep them coming.

I've finally had a little painting time so I got some progress done on the Brits. I'm pretty unhappy with the staghound so far, I need to brighten it up and pick out more detail. The squad needs one more man in the rifle team to be ready to go for Chain of Command. In the queue for these brits are two more rifle squads to round out the platoon and a piat team.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Thanks! I'm really excited to play the ruleset using these guys, I should have platoons and AFV's done for both sides by the time my buddy and I get together next in November. Does anyone have any recommendations for what German vehicles would be fun to have around for CoC support options? The British are going to have the option of having Staghound, Churchill and some different types of universal carriers.

E: Anyone who feels like selling their loose FoW mans I'm interested evan.bale@gmail.com. This probably isn't the thread for purchases though.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 4, 2014

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

That makes a lot of sense. I'll look into some varieties of hanomags and maybe a Luchs. Thanks!

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

This is amazing please post more.

Dirt Worshipper fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

These are 15mm battlefront miniatures mounted for the most part on pennies, which I believe are about 19mm, so you can also use 20mm renedra bases if you want something lighter.