Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Comstar posted:

Is Ridley Scott's Napoleon Historically Accurate?

Kings & Generals are not a fan of the movie.

It was a complete hack job but personally I was most offended by the travesty that was the depiction of Austerlitz. Jesus Christ. Look, how they massacred my boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

Thank you for this amazing detailed reply and information. You mention of Constantinople has me looking at Byzantine armies of the same period too. I’m on holiday at the moment. I have packed the DBA 3.0 book, and I am busily mapping out the various army relations!

The Italian Wars is a very interesting setting. It also allows you a lot of choice in hobby level, as you can make everything from quickly painted hordes of pikemen to elaborately dressed gendarmes and landsknechts where the sky is the limit when it comes to painting. There's also a ton of development of tactics and army composition, so within the period you can do a lot of different things. The Swiss had their specific style, the Spanish their tercios, and as mentioned you can even add the eastern Mediterranean if you want even more variety. And in 28mm there's even a lot of options in plastic these days, so it's not even one of the more expensive periods to wargame.

It's probably our main "forever project", as the last five years or so have seen club members slowly grow a bunch of both fantasy and historical armies based on the setting. At this point I'm pretty sure we have several armies that could be finished at a push - both enough humans to play historical battles and an assortment of Italian Wars themed orcs, undead, halflings and upcoming ducks. One of these days!

The latest addition was me buying a set of Perry's plastic mounted men at arms to see if they would work as mounts for sculpting ducks on top. They would not, but now I have an excuse to paint up some medium cavalry to go with all the gendarmes my clubmates have been collecting.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jan 6, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

To be honest, I don’t know anything at all about the Italian wars - that’s at the very end of the time periods that I’ve spent time reading about, and being English generally gravitate towards the British Isles as well. Is there a book you can recommend?

To be honest, I’m likely to incorporate both the Dark Ages and HYW/WOTR/etc. into my multi-era imaginary nation conflict rather than being specifically historical - but it would be great to get some context.

I shamefully only have one book (https://www.amazon.com/Italian-Wars-1494-1559-Modern-Perspective/dp/1138739049#customerReviews), and it is a bit tricky to recommend. It is divided into two halves, one covering the events of the wars and one about the military and social developments of it. The actual war chapters are... challenging. It's such a completely confused mess of actors involved that it makes the War of the Roses look like checkers. And the way they are told in this book is pretty detailed, so I found it very hard to follow along and keep track of things. The latter chapters are a lot easier to read.

So after reading the book I had a bit of a better idea of the wars, but it's like I know a bit about the very very overview of the wars, and a lot of small details, but not like, the medium scale view of the wars.

They are stupidly complicated though so I'm not sure there are any easier source. Pick it up if you can find a cheaper, second hand, copy I guess.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Yeah I'll admit to a barely rudimentary knowledge of the Italian Wars, I just think it's such a fascinating era right on the cusp where you have the solidification of Pike and shot while at the same time having elaborate plate mail knights and also garish Landsknecht.

Basically, France and Spain paid Swiss and German mercenaries to fight over parts of Italy - past that and it's a complicated mess of personalities that makes Game of Thrones seem quaint.

It basically straddles the end of the Medieval age and the explosive birth of the Renaissance when it comes to warfare, so yeah, lots of interesting stuff and variety. And huge pike formations with lots of flags look great no matter if you’re a good painter or not.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

dingo with a joint posted:

hi my folks, does any company make 6mm plastic napoleonics minis? my dumb arse is finding a complete blank on locating that combination.

Not as far as I know. I pretty much draw a blank at plastic 6mm at all.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

dingo with a joint posted:

nuts. what's the smallest scale i'm going to find in plastic? too many years of pain have led me to swear off metal for life.

For Napoleonics, your best bet is probably Warlord Games "Epic" range. It's mostly (?) plastic and somewhere in between 10 and 15mm.

https://eu.warlordgames.com/collections/epic-battles-waterloo

At least you'd get the main bulk of your army in plastic. IIRC a lot of the more niche minis are in "warlord resin", not metal.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yeah for Sharp Practice you can easily just use a regular deck of cards. Each player needs one card of a colour specifically tied to each leader that can activate, and then 4-5 flag cards of the same colour. So you just go with one side having 2-10 of spades (and clubs if you have more than 9 activations) and then use the jacks, queens kings and aces as flag cards. Badabing, badaboom.

That said, I've only played Lion Rampant once, but I found it a very light and simple beer & pretzel ruleset that might not have tons of depth compared to some games, but is perfectly servicable as way to move some cool historical minis around and roll some dice.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 30, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

It's also a matter of output. It's a tiny operation of doing mostly everthing alone. The Blitzkrieg book took ages to come out, and "the Pacific book will be out next year" has been a running joke since before the pandemic if I remember correctly. It might actually come out this year though! So I can completely see that a revision is not something he looks forward to.

Also, some of the things that people complain about and would like to have fixed in a revision are not things that Rich things to fully agree on needing revisions. But I fully agree, CoC is probably the ruleset that has the highest correlation of both needing and deserving a second edition. Just handing off the rulebook, including the blitzkrieg additions, the FAQ and Rich's facebook posting history to a third party and asking them to edit it would be great.

Also, let someone else rewrite the scenarios when you're at it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Slight shift in topic from WW2, but was there any recorded skirmish action during the Fifth Coalition/Danube campaign? I have all these cool French, Austrian, and German minor models and realistically will never have enough painted for a mass battle, but when people think Napoleonic skirmish, the main thing suggested is Peninsular war.

Also there's no official 1809 Austria list for Sharp Practice which is annoying 😩

Lots of them. A lot of the campaign along the Danube was the French army pushing forwards, seeking big decisive engagements, and the Austrians retreating and trying to avoid them where they could, pretty much until after Vienna was taken. It's after that you get the huge battles (Aspern Essling, Wagram). So there was a lot of skirmishing as the outskirts of each army kept meeting up, as well as smaller stuff like half a company of voltigeurs crossing the Danube by boat to scout, sabotage or do other small scale skirmish stuff.

On top of that you have the entire Tyrol rebellion with lots of smaller scale combat, as well as the whole theatre to the north where Duchy of Warsaw was involved. You also have the entire Italian part of the campaign that is often overlooked, and then there are the even less obvious parts outside the main theatres, such as the retreat into Hungary.

The reading suggestion here is, as always for 1809, Thunder on the Danube. If you like history and that series don't get you hyped about hot French-on-Kaiserlich action in 1809, I'm not sure what would. I immediately come to think of the depictions in the books of how the French sent out small parties of skirmishers across the Danube to find suitable pontoon positions once they took Vienna and the bridges were destroyed, but there are tons of times a battalion or two ran into enemies and you even get maps and stuff for it.

Basically the reason why people suggest Peninsular War is the Brittish Tinted Glasses Syndrome, and as Brits they can't come to terms with the Peninsular War not being the only place where skirmishes happened in the Napoleonic WArs. Or where battles were fought in other places in the Napoleonic Wars at all (except 100 Days). Ignore them and do cool skirmish battles across the Alps, like God intended.

As for an 1809 Austrian list, they were in the middle of restructuring the entire army, but got kind of bogged down. I'm pretty sure you're safe with going with an earlier army list. The big restructurings, iirc, were still on a higher tactical and strategic level than what would impact a skirmish game. The unit types remained the same, etc.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Feb 13, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I realized that I actually really like grid based systems. I'm aware of:

To the Strongest for ancients through 1500
For King and Parliament for ECW
Square Bashing for WW1
I guess Rommel for WW2 but that seems more grand tactical than single battlefield?

Is there anything else out there?

The entire Commands & Colours system.

https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Command_and_Colors_system

I have the samurai set but never got around to test it.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Don't tell me this, I'm already desperately trying to talk myself out of doing a 28mm AWI army

My long term plan with my 6mm samurai is to use them for C&C. I have roughly enough for two armies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

Starting to plan out a Jomsvikign Saga force based on their appearance in Vinland Saga. Anyone got recommendations for a range in metal that has plenty of unarmored heavy axe guys and as many capes as possible?

How soon do you want them? I think Footsore's upcoming new set of vikings look to be some of the best vikings I've seen:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tMjo_gwlcCyXSLs

You can find more previews on their facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/FootsoreMiniatures?locale=et_EE

I might have to pick some up to bolster my existing viking force, even if I never realistically get around to play Viking era Saga these days. The range will include berzerkers, and I don't have any yet, so that's an excuse.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

Speaking of scaling, every time I print out some models, I wish I'd printed them in a different scale.

drat grass-is-greener effect... Guess the only solution is to do era in 2/6/10/15/20/28/40/54mm

ding ding ding! I have samurai in 6mm, 15mm, 1/72, 28mm and 54mm...

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jenx posted:

It was very interesting to see the Hussite Wars represented in NMTB Deluxe! Mostly because it is a conflict that is weirdly underrepresented (I imagine because it was centered on Bohemiam, with little to do with the US and the UK, so most British and American game designers instead seem to be content simply rehashing WW2, the Wars of the Roses and the American Civil War over and over and over and over again).

However I still am not entirely sure how actively useful the conflict is from the standpoint of wargaming. After all, one of the big elements of it were the novelty of the tactics and the inability of the crusaders to stop just charging into fortified locations filled with guns. So from a gaming perspective, it always feels to me like you need the player playing the anti-Hussite crusaders to actively be making bad tactical decisions, because that is what defined those battles.

On the other hand, I have also been recently thinking about historical-flavored games that don't necessarily try and lean too hard into the actual history. Partially because I realized that while I love the period of the Italian Wars I have a very low tolerance of caring about specific people and their flags and who was or wasn't at a specific battle, so I am starting to ponder simply making generic "Renaissance" armies to bash against each other. So I suppose one could do that with the Hussite wars too.

I read a history book on the Italian Wars when I started looking into making an army. And after reading it... I knew even less how to make an army. Or rather, I realized just how confused, chaotic and constantly shifting alliances and armies were in that war. I think using generic flags goes a very long way, though you can have a French, German, Spanish or local lord "flavour" to them if you want.

Also I thought that reading a book on the topic would give me a favourite faction, as I could not decide. Turns out, surpise, they were all assholes and I found noone that sood out as more appealing in any way to make an army for. :O

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Yes a lot of armies were mostly mercs and melted away when they were not paid anymore. So you can definitely make just a bunch of mercenary units and divide them in two armies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Jenx posted:

Oh absolutely true, but it's more that I like flags and I like having loads of them, but trying to think of who's flags go where is just infinitely dull to me. So far my two options I've settled on is 1. Make vaguely appropriate fictional flags and just go with that or 2. Just don't worry about it, slap whatever flag makes sense on a given base of units, and history be damned.

A lot of the landsknecht flags were very simple and generic, such as stripes of two colours.

This page is cramped with ads but has a lot of inspiration:

https://flagspennonsandbanners.blog...xp-GuyoCNoY&m=1

The guy (alea jacta est miniatures on facebook) mainly do burgundian wars banners but is pretty active and helpful.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

I would be prepared to pay a lot more than you'd like for a decently painted army

Rule of thumb is that historical miniatures gain value if painted to tabletop standard, while warhammer loses value.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Virtual Russian posted:

I did not know that, weird. What is the reason?

Good reason mentioned. Second reason is that in historicals, especially for the older generation, I’d say most players a) are bad at painting, b) don’t like to paint, c) sees painting as a necessary evil at best, d) has disposable money to throw at commission paint jobs or e), a combination of all of these.

You see this in fantasy and sci fi too but not to the same degree imho. It can not be overstated how differently GW marketed wargaming as a hobby and the emphasis it placed on painting being a hobby in itself, worthy of pursuing for quality paint jobs, and that it is expected of you to a larger degree. Historical boomers like good paint jobs, sure, but basic painting skills are imho generally much lower in that generation and they have a different attitude. If you’ve never wanted to paint and your current minis have gloopy enamel paint jobs and you just want to play games NOW, it makes sense to at least a segment of historicsl players to plop down 200 bucks for a painted battallion of napoleonic French. While the same paint job would net you 50-80% of cost mint on sprue if they were 40K minis.

But even in historicals it differs a lot based on miniature range and period. But overall it’s a lot more in favour of the seller compared to GW stuff. There will be a retired whale with a ginormous nerd cave basement who just want more painted British line infantry or more troops for his recreation of Gaugamela.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Mar 13, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

alg posted:

At least with Historicals I never see an unpainted game. Probably 80% of the scifi or fantasy games at FLGS are unpainted.

Yup that’s also a part of it. People will happily buy AWI miniatures with more or less a basecoat, while a roughly painted Tau army is ”damaged goods”, or most GW minis that are not oop to be honest. It’s interesting how these kinds of accepted truths in two parts of the same hobby can be different. Because I’s much rather play a roughly painted whfb army than a pile of grey plastic as well.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

soviet elsa posted:

to.

I guess my question is can I paint DAK and not be labelled/heiled as a Nazi-lover?

Especially because if it was the opposite of three German players, I love British uniforms aesthetically as much as German tanks and would happily buy Perry 8th Army and would probably make them Māori or Indian.

Of course. I’ve painted four or five platoons of Germans for our NA games, both Wehrmacht and Fallschirmjägers. The way to not be labelled a nazi is

1) don’t hold weird authoritarian right wing opinions and beliefs

2) don’t tell weird long diatribes about how great the German army was in WW2

3) don’t play with morons

I’ve found that by following these three basic steps, I’ve been able to have a happy life as a historical gamer without anyone assuming things about my political beliefs. It’s not hard.

It also helps if you are not strictly sticking to just one army. I’ve paited Brits, FFL and South African Highlanders for North Africa as well.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 13, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

This is why my go-to WW2 game is Chain of Command.

The difference between German and a British platoons are based on the sections having a different structure and the LMGs working differently. Oh and Germans don't get smoke grenades. And that's pretty much it, but it is still enough to make them feel distinctly different to play.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Speaking of KS, I just finally got my shipping email from Fireforge from their Samurai KS. Six boxes of plastic soldiers on the way! This is what I need to make enough troops for two opposing armies.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

Man, they really botched the delivery of the KS to their backers. I didn't back the kickstarter and I was able to buy the entire range from an online retailer over a month ago.

The models are pretty nice, but wait until you see the weirdness with the torsos/legs.

Lol is it worse than the Warlord games samurai?

And yes, boxes were seen in the wild in August. Getting your Early Bird kickstarter pledge in March makes that a bit of a bummer. But to be 100% honest it's not like I've had the spare time to paint them up anyway.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Class Warcraft posted:

The fit is ok, it's the proportion of legs to torsos that's the issue. A sprue of Ashigaru come with six torsos and nine sets of legs. It's super frustrating to have everything you need to make 12 more models, except for the torsos.

Meanwhile, the Samurai cav come with 12 sets of legs but 24 torsos, for some reason. They're slightly smaller than the non-cav torsos so they only work with some models and not others. It's a bit of a head-scratcher.

That's weird. Maybe by just slightly extending the torsos (like a mm of green stuff or so) you could get out a few more ranks of ashigaru then?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

spectralent posted:

I was worried :D

I'm back on my 3D printing bullshit and looking at a bunch of 15mm sengoku models i got in a kickstarter years ago. Is there anything decent for mass-battle japan stuff? Ideally something built for it that has some flavour - nothing against pike and shot but it's pretty generic.

Not any great options I’m afraid. There’s downsides to all options I’ve checked. I’m thinking of doing a lasalle hack when I get around to painting up two samurai armies, if nothing better has come out at that point.

Tenka fubu has a lot of right ideas though I haven’t played it (it’s a For King and Parliament hack): https://tenkafubu608971038.wordpress.com

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

I am the complete opposite of this. I far prefer playing odd, hopeless, or irregular armies.

This is how I ended up painting a platoon of cape town highlanders for north africa in chain of command. In kilts. It was just too odd to miss out on.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 3, 2024

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

Here's a Facebook link, but Chain of Command Far East goes to the printer today.

Preorder soon, this week apparently.

niche joke but I can hear Rich Evans shouting ”IT TOOK 12 YEARS TO MAKE!” as I read the announcement

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Count Thrashula posted:

I don't think he advertised it very well, but Madox Minis/War Bear Studios/whatever he goes by just launched his Napoleon's Campagne de Russie kickstarter which includes something like 280 3d-printable 28mm mini STLs plus whatever stretch goals they hit, which looks like it's going to be most of them. If you like the Russian Campaign, this is AWESOME. I'm excited. It's only $63 all in for the early bird tier, so jump on it.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/warbearstudios/napoleons-campagne-de-russie-russian-campaign

Button counter twitch in my eye. They do look quick to paint though, which is a plus.

E: the French army looks, IMHO, much better suited for a 1813/14 campaign than Russia. There are some smaller issues that will not upset anyone but a very dyed in the wool French collector, but the uniforms are the "Bardin" 1812 regulation uniforms that were not worn by the troops marching into Russia. The differences, especially in the jacket design, is quite noticable.

As a generic, later 1st Empire army that doesn't take ages to paint? Probably a good option! As a Campaigne de Russie army? An unfortunate label.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Cessna posted:

Why is Napoleon crossing the Alps in Italy in Russia?

He crushed past Moscow and is working his way across the Urals?