Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

I bought too many HQs, I think; I didn't realize the Battalion HQ came with so much. Oh well. One can never have enough Soviets!

EDIT: Does it matter if I throw in some of the SMG guys for my platoons, since the blisters come with them, even though I'm not using them? I'm not sure how WYSIWYG Flames of War is.

The extra HQ stands will come in handy if you decide to branch out in slightly different organizations or add platoons of AT rifles or light AT guns (but I think Battlefront is packaging the new late war sov. AT guns with command stands now, so it could all be moot).

As for the occasional SMG trooper on a rifle/mg infantry base, no one will care.

I saved oddball SMG models from Battalion HQ and strelkovy boxes to put towards making a SMG co. If you're making a strelkovy or motostrelkovy force you might want to think about doing the same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

As I posted before that there was an upcoming tournament at Easter. I finally looked up the points, and it is Late war 1750 pts.

code:
Company HQ  35 pts 

2x Parachute rifle platoons 730 pts   

A rifle platoon consists of
- 9 Rifle/MG teams 
- 60mm Mortar 
- Bazooka team 
- Command team 

1x Parachute field artillery battery 135 pts 

- HQ section with 2 artillery sections (4 guns total)

1x Tank platoon 265pts 

- 3x Shermans 

1x Tank destroyer platoon 435 pts 

- HQ Section (Command carbine team and a Jeep) 
- 2 Sections (a section being 2 M10s, 1 M20 and a carbine team)  

Limited air support (P38s) 150 pts 

Total: 1750 

Critique / comments would be appreciated. I have everything but the M10 sections so it would be nice to know if I need to buy anything else.

what's the motivation and rating of your force, and what book did you point your army out of?

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

This is pointed from D -1. All paras are Fearless Veterans and the tanks are Confident Veterans

Your tank destroyers have the disengage rules, right? a friend of mine who tried them out had a problem with the M10's being forced to fall back once they were in combat due to those rules. If you have access to Shermans with the 76mm gun those might be a better choice if you run into problems with the M10's

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Roma posted:

Finally started my Soviet army for Flames of War. I'm actually moving interstate soon so have to keep purchases to a minimum till I actually move, but couldn't resist getting this set:

These tanks look awesome. I'm surprised how big they are too in comparison to the 'Open Fire!' tanks. I also got another IS-2 tank in a blister, so 6 of them so far. I read some history about them that said they were typically fielded in units of 21 Is-2 tanks during WW2, so I wouldn't mind eventually having that many and running an all tank list. Especially because the 'Stalin's onslaught' book contains a list for up to 21 of them.

EDIT: Oh, I mean so I'd have the ability to field 21 of them if I wanted a historically correct battle. I do plan to buy infantry, planes, artillery and such too for variety.

It's so nice to see someone at the start of a beautiful love/hate relationship.

edit for content: The IS-2's are fantastic line breakers, especially if you can deal with enemy PaK40s before the tanks go in. Add an infantry component and tankodesantniki to the mix and about 900 points of your force can crush just about anything in front of them.

ShitheadDeluxe fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 27, 2010

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

torsoboy posted:

As I see it, ROF is analogous to attacks in Warhammer. Does this make Germans (many of which are machinegun teams) strictly better than Americans (most of them are rifle teams) in a firefight?

It's the supporting stands like HMG's, mortars, or gun teams that can blast infantry out of foxholes that will win firefights. Thinking of your ROF in terms of preventing or preparing for an assault will get you on your way to making the most of your infantry.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

torsoboy posted:

I think I'm starting to get it, but what do you mean by ROF in terms of preparing for an assault? I thought the ROF is reduced to 1 (barring submachine guns) if the squad moves or assaults? Or can you leave some teams to shoot at their full ROF while other teams from the same platoon make a move and then assault?

Sorry, I could have been more clear. I was talking about the shooting phase before the assault, or the defensive fire if you happen to be on the receiving end of the assault.

And yes you can elect to not move some teams in your platoon (less than half, if I'm remembering the "in command" rules correctly) who would then fire at full ROF in the shooting phase. Which leads me to think of the mounted assault rules for the Germans, who could I guess leave 3 stands of MG infantry out of their halftracks, fire at up to 16" range in support of the 4 halftracks in the platoon, pumping out 3 shots from the vehicle MG's themselves, for 21 shots in an attempt to pin the enemy platoon about to be assaulted. Nice!

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

No Pun Intended posted:

Real wargamers use beer cans as tanks :colbert:.

those are MY CONVERSIONS and the warboss of WAAAGH: Steel Reserve demands an apology.

Devlan Mud, please reconsider getting out of FoW, your local gaming group needs WWII gamers that don't unironically love nazis.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Nice.

One of these days, I'll actually do more work on my Sovs.

After I burned myself out on painting a full SMG company, "one of these days" turned out to be a year later. :smith:

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

What do you guys think of using an Armored Transport Platoon with SMGs and one flamethrower team to cruise with my Soviet Tank Company?

I was thinking of the exact same thing for my tankovy. The idea looks great on paper but I won't get to test it until Thanksgiving weekend. I'll let you know how it worked out.

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

6 T34-85s and 3 IS-2s

I'm hoping to finish the 10 T-34 o.42s I have left before it gets too cold and windy to spray paint outside. Alternately, I'll need to come up with a way to spray paint inside.

Lord Commissar, which book do you take your army list from? The guts of my tankovy army looks a lot like yours with the mix of T-34 o.1942s and T-34/85s. Are there any supporting units you've tried out and found wanting?

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

Can someone summarize how FoW combat/weapons/support platoons work exactly (or tell me where in the mini-rulebook I should be looking)?

I know you always need the barebones combat platoons in the chart, but the rules distinctions seem to be hiding from me.

The game mechanic that makes the most use of the distinction between combat platoons and weapons platoons is the German's Kampfgruppe national characteristic. Squads or sections from combat platoons and weapons platoons can be peeled off from their parent units and added to the kampfgruppe. Support platoons can't do the same for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShitheadDeluxe
May 14, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

So can someone give me a frank opinion about why it's a good idea to combat attach weapons platoons (like a HMG platoon) to infantry platoons, or why it's a better idea to field them separately?

Fielding weapons platoons attached to combat platoons also spreads the heavy weapons amongst your troops, so as to not have a particularly vulnerable platoon making a target of itself compared to the relatively hard infantry platoons nearby. The gun teams themselves are still as fragile as ever, but the enemy is not presented with a single soft unit that will bring you closer to your company's break point.