Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bufkhan
Jul 23, 2007
I've got a Flames of War question.

While I was at my mother's for Christmas, I found a box in the attic full of my old miniatures. I did lots of historicals with my dad when I was younger, ACW and Napoleonics in 15mm mostly, but we did some WWII with some wierdo set that this guy wrote in his basement and sold at conventions (yeah, we went to a few). Well, I found the few 15mm WWII models we had, Germans in fact.

I found three Mk IVs, three Mk IIIs, one Tiger, and exactly 19 German soldiers armed with a mix of rifles and submachine guns. Is that enough for a small FOW army, or will I need to guy a lot more crap? I'm probably going to the store tomorrow to get the starter set that was mentioned earlier.

I'll most likely get two armies, since I've got a couple of friends I might pull into this, since historical battles are more interesting to them than giant mutant football players with death lasers and rocket guns.

Also, I'll see if over the weekend if I can contribute to this thread and get a few pictures of the ACW stuff we had. My dad painted most of them, but I got a few of them, and, well, you can tell which ones they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufkhan
Jul 23, 2007

Lord Commissar posted:

Ok, a general hobby question, maybe something we can put in the FAQ:

Flags. How do you guys make flags that look real at various scales?

For 15mm, one thing I used to do was pretty simple. Take a paper flag (either from a sheet or a color printout) and put a thin piece of aluminum foil between the two sides, and glue them together with white glue. The foil lets you shape the flag. A lot of the time flags are shown just flying straight in one direction or the other, but if you look at pictures of reenactments and such, you can see that they usually are just chilling there, wrapped around the flag pole a bit. The foil lets you wrap the flag a little, and still make it look like it has volume.