Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Let's go camping!

Click here for the full 713x459 image.

Click here for the full 750x426 image.

Click here for the full 750x533 image.

Finally bought a decent camera and had a go at shooting some things like the camps for my DBA armies.

Rest of the camps are here:
http://s608.photobucket.com/albums/tt165/beesinmybeard/dbacamps/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Barry the Sprout posted:

Related to this, can someone tell me how to deal with the bases on these figures when I'm basing them. Something tells me I'm not meant to try and cut them off, but I think they'll look really out of place when properly based.

Apart from the other advice already given, there is the option of using bases with raised edges. Glue the mini down and fill in the base. I've seen a couple of manufacturers that do this type of base. Em4miniatures seems to have some. Reaper too, but they're hilariously expensive. Might not be easy to find the dimensions you're after though.

But if you're as anal as I am about having a whole army with soldiers standing on their own little circular hills, then you could always make your own. Make a few masters, a simple mould, and cast as many as you need (well, in my case pay a friend a few beers to cast them). Here's mine:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Got home today to find a package full of tiny soldiers. :dance:

More specifically, a Welsh army and an Ottoman army for DBA, plus a few extra odds and ends. Oh well, I wasn't planning to go outside this summer anyway.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

R.S Gumby: cool, what scale/manufacturer?

Essex, 15mm.

I think I'm gonna have a go at building a tiny Hagia Sophia as a camp for the Ottomans. The welsh will probably have to settle for the generic medieval castle I already have.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Anyone into DBA? Or FoG? Just thought I'd mention that Essex miniatures has a "buy 2 get 1 free" deal going on their 15mm DBA army packs until the end of the month.

No way I could resist that. Ordered some Armenians, Ilkhanid and Samurai, and some random useful stuff. It's not like I've gotten much done lately on the 4 unpainted armies I already have, but there's always room for more.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished an Ottoman army for DBA. IV/55b to be more precise.

These are Essex 15mm. Not exactly a big army, just 12 stands, which means no options. Next DBA army I'll throw paint at is III/19b Welsh, which means a shitload of bows. I just got some Armenians which are tempting to do, for an Ottoman-Armenian grudge match, but the Welsh are all based and undercoated already. My goal is to have them done before the end of august, but I've got an oath to finish as well.

...and those are some gorgeous brits, lilljonas

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
My Welsh are done!

It's an army for DBA; III19b Welsh. Not exactly spectacular. The army has no options, so just 12 stands, and it's pretty drat heavy on the bows, but that's partly why I got them, as the bows will be useful in a couple of other armies.

DBA purists might notice they're 4Bw, whereas the army list has them as 3Bw, but I like the look of 4 models per base better. In DBA there's no difference ruleswise. Plus, if/when I ever expand my medievals for Field of Glory, I'm pretty sure 4Bw will be more useful.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

drat that's a lot of bows. Well done though! Speaking of DBA, my three armies from Essex finally arrived: Sassanid Persians, Mongol Conquest and Scottish Commons (which are for a club mate). I'm pretty positively surprised by the quality, they look significantly better than the pictures on the website as well as the many poorly painted Essex armies online that sort of put me off the company before. Now I'll just have to decide which army to paint up first!
Essex is quite good, at least when factoring in their price and the huge range. There are duds like bad sculpts or monopose troops, not surprising considering their huge assortment. Probably their older stuff, I guess. Looking up their stuff on fanaticus etc of helps steering clear of them.

I also bought some mongols (Ilkhanid), and bought some extra to be able to morph them into some of the other mongol armies, only to discover that a couple of units in the army pack represent european vassal troops that'd look rather out of place in other armies. :argh:

Otherwise, my Essex favorites are their vikings, particularly the III40c Leidang army pack; £13 for 80 figures? Nice sculpts with lots of poses? gently caress yes please. :black101: Buy an extra general, and you have two armies! I'm seriously thinking of expanding mine for BBDBA/FoW.

Arquinsiel posted:

Every time I see this kind of thing it makes me want to make a DBA army in 10mil or similar. I'd love to be able to do full armies in the time it'd take me to do a platoon of FoW or a single 40k unit.
Well, what are you waiting for?

10mm is a bit odd scalewise though; 15mm seems to be most common, with 6mm and 28mm not too rare. Then there's the ones using plastic 1/72 sets...

For me it's 15mm; small enough that they're fast and easy to paint, but not too small to lose too much detail and character. Cheap too. So cheap it actually makes sense to get more than one army for the game, just so you can lend an army to a friend for a battle or two and watch the claws of addiction grip him until all he can think about is what army to get next that'd fit in with the dozen he already have. Especially if you really get into a particular era and region.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

Everything free hand painted. 15mm. This guy is amazing.

http://www.tagmata.it/communal_italian.htm

That's just nuts. Absolutely ridiculous. I was so happy that my mongols were finished, and then you had to post that...

Anyway, my mongols are finished!

Click here for the full 1200x379 image.

Ok, so the paintjob isn't exactly mind-blowing, but good enough for me.

They're an Ilkhanid army (IV/46) for DBA in 15mm. They can also be fielded as Mongol Conquest and Later Nomadic Mongols. With another unit of Cav, I'll be able to field them as Golden Horde as well. I still have a couple of stands of vassal troops to do, but they can wait. I really need to paint some Orcs for the oath thread.

Models are Essex, except one Cv/Kn stand of Alain Touller Figs.

Modelwise, this army is obviously meant to depict an early Genghis Khan before european influence changed the appearance and composition of the mongols:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGmiG3HEM9I#t=01m17s

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

A mixed bag of Essex part 1: Mongol Conquest

Well, you did a bloody nice job painting them at least, even if some of them don't look very mongol. Better painted than my Ilkhanid for sure.

The quality of Essex varies quite a bit. There's a few armies full of unique sculpts with lots of poses; others made from really generic models with one or two poses, used in several armies. Buying an army unseen from them is quite a gamble. My Ilkhanid were similar to yours, but had a couple of stands of european vassals :argh:. Don't know if it's for historical flavor, but I would have preferred a pure mongol army, so I'll replace them eventually.

Still, I'm fine with them; they were cheap enough to still be a decent buy. I've just got the bases left to do on my Armenians, which were a bit dodgy. At least I knew this before buying them, and with the low price and discount on top of that I guess they're ok-ish.

I also bought some Samurai for a friend, and they were really, really nice and varied. So nice I think I need one for myself.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Here's my Armenians:

Click here for the full 878x1000 image.

They're a complete army of IV/2 Cilician Armenians, all ready to be exterminated by the Ottomans I finished earlier. Ok, not completely finished, as the general's stand will get a couple of flags eventually. The general, by the way, was my biggest issue with the army, as he originally had a very arabic appearance; in fact I have the exact same model in my Berber army. But, swapping his turbaned head for a helmeted one from a spare fixed that issue. The spearmen also bugged me; the two poses with one holding the spear angled forward and the other holding it to the rear looks kind of daft.

Paintjob is nothing to write home about. Quick and dirty. After 4 armies in as many months, I'll take a break from painting DBA armies to paint more Warhammy stuff. Some of the armies lack appropriate camps though...

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
A tip for those of you who only got socks for christmas: Essex Miniatures is again running a "buy 3 pay for 2" deal on 15mm DBA army packs, until the end of december. I'm really tempted to get some Samurai. I bought one of those for a friend last time they did this offer and they're one of their nicer ranges.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just about finished two armies for DBA:

Yep, that's two III/54 Early Samurai armies, all options. Minis from Essex. One for me, one for a friend. Took me far too long. They need camps though.

Lilljonas, I'm tempted to get some of your gorgeous houses to make a BUA for them. For camps, I'll probably make some temple gates. Only problem is that BUAs are terrible in the game, and nobody plays with them ever. Then again, a new version of the rules is in the works...

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Last night I tried to get started with a camp for the Samurai, wanting to make either a gate or a more ambitious castle. Looking at pictures online for inspiration and reading some Osprey books got me into making a bell tower instead:

Pretty simple, but turned out pretty nice I think. I owe thanks to whoever on these forums who came up with using a dremel as a lathe, as that is how I ended up making the (barely visible) bell.
But I did also find a pic of a nice castle. I'm tempted to try to make something similar-looking:

It's a bit too late, time period-wise for my early Samurai, but it looks good and not impossibly complicated. Plus, it'd double as a Built up area as well.
________

Arquinsiel, that's how they get you, you know. One cheap first hit to get you hooked, and pretty soon you're frantically scouring the internet for suppliers of Ghaznavids or Akkadians. Oh I remember back when I thought I could stop before my armies hit double digits.

But you do really need a second army. That makes it soo much easier to indoctrinate friends into this addictiongame. Can't go wrong looking at the other corvus sets of Ancient British or Carthaginians...

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Jinjin Bemar posted:

I just need to puzzle over how to build an arena.

http://www.iandrea.co.uk/wargames/glads/page42/page42.html

I'm kinda tempted myself to do this.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Was bored at work, so I made a BUA/camp for my Samurai:

It's just a papercraft model so I almost feel like I've cheated. It can be found here: http://cp.c-ij.com/en/contents/3152/list_15_1.html

I scaled it down quite a bit to make it small enough for DBA, so it's just 11 cm tall. I'm gonna go over it and paint the paper edges, and there's some roof decorations missing because they were too fiddly. I'll fix those later. I kind of want to build the other castles as well now.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

That reminds me... I've heard really good things about DBA, but the 'same 12 elements'/every army being exactly the same thing turns me off. How true is that and how much does it make things samey?

To add to what lilljonas said:

Honestly, coming from Warhammer, I don't see it as too much of a problem. Monotype armies might not be particularly fun compared to more varied armies, but on the other hand the armies are dirt cheap and fast to paint. And with 300 armies to choose from some will end up similar, but there's more than enough variation. Most armies have options which can change how an army plays. Add to that that terrain can have a huge impact on how a game plays out.

Really, the only downside I've found is that since the number of dicerolls are so few, it's much easier to get screwed by the dice. Having a game decided by bad dice is not uncommon. But unlike Warhammer, when it happens you can just set up and have another go since a game is usually over in half an hour.

Also, the army lists are not balanced so a random matchup can be very uneven, and terrain can be used to further unbalance things. If you're hypercompetitive it's not too hard to have an army that's beaten before the game starts. Historical matchups tend to work though, and I prefer to run each matchup twice, changing sides after the first.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

These are excellent. I now really want to paint some Crusaders knights up myself. Can you advise any good makes or links to painting inspiration, I have found what seems like some good models from a company called Mirliton, have you ever had anything to do with them?

Lilljonas' models are Mirliton. I'm painting a bunch of them right now. They're one of the best manufacturers out there.

Other than that, the ones I've come across are Corvus Belli and Essex. The Corvus ones are really nice, and so are most of the Essex ones I have but they can be a bit dodgy at times.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

Corvus Belli [...] are a bit annoying to work with as their metal is too hard.

Funny, I think of that as a plus.

lilljonas posted:

Essex is hit or miss, as the time I ended up with 8 identical generic spear throwing cavalry.

Yup, for sure, buying Essex without knowing exactly what you're getting is not a very good idea. They have a huge range of armies available, and while some are great, there's also a bunch of rather bad stuff. Their terrible website isn't always helping either.

They've got a rather big selection of medieval knights with various equipment though, but again, some are rather poor.

Here's a pic of some of my barded knights. The stand on the left is Mirliton; my only petty complaint would be that the lances are separate pieces, and they lack handguards (compared to the lances on the stand next to it).
The other three are from different Essex packs. Two are quite nice, the one on the right is just strange monopose shite.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

Thanks for all the good advice guys.

What do you make of something like this as a good starting point?

Teutonic Order Army

Friend of mine has that army. Great models. Not the most colorful though, being Teutonics. Well, I should say he has the DBA version of that army.

As a starting point it's no worse than any other, I'd say. A complete army in a box. That's how it usually starts. Fuckin DBA, man. That's how they get you. One army, just to paint. Maybe try a game or two. Then maybe an opposing army could be a good idea, it's not like they cost anything anyway. Just to have a pair if a friend wants to try. Let's just try an army based on some other troop type. Oh, must build camps for them. And it would be good to have terrain enough for all options. Build some. Might as well get a few more armies to reenact the Baltic crusades or something. Hmm, who are these Palmyrans? Sounds like an interesting era. Oooh, Phokians with double artillery sounds like fun. Get Osprey books for history and painting inspiration. Where's the rulebook? Left it in the bathroom again? Might as well get another one, just to be able to read armylists while sitting on the loo, thinking about what to buy next. Samurai and Chinese maybe. Need more Osprey. Hmm, a decorated custom gaming table would be really cool too, must do that. A turnable one with arable on one side and desert on the other. Hussites start sounding like a good idea. Maybe expand an army or two for BBDBA or FoG. Need more terrain. Lend an army to a friend who only plays 40k. Give him your WADBAG guide; you can always print out a new one. Cackle maniacally as he buys his tenth army a year later.

I have no regrets.

Now excuse me, I have to sand a table.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

Oh God! Am I about to become "One of us, one of us...."

What would be my best bet if I wanted something more colourful then, like the army that lilljonas posted earlier, something I could represent more of the different orders in?

Just buy random packs of knights and things, or is there an army set that would be better?

Well, for more colour you might want to look a bit more towards western/southern Europe for a chance to go nuts with heraldry. Mirliton makes several army packs that fit the bill: Crusaders, Feudal French, Italian Commune or Condotta, Medieval German or even Burgundian Ordonnance.

Many Mirliton packs use the same figures, as they're pretty much generic western European types. Not the Teutonic knights though.

Lilljonas' army is the Later Crusaders. That's a pretty good starting point. It's a nice mix of Knights, spears and missiles, so it's fairly heavy. Later Crusaders have only one option in the army list, so it's one of the smallest armies, which might be good if you end up hating it.

edit: it also has 4 units of knights (and one cav), so you can easily opt to paint a couple of them as different orders if you don't want to go all heraldry.

This is for DBA though; the link you posted before was for an Impetus army pack. It's points based and use larger armies, but can use the same basing system I think, other than that I have no knowledge of it. Lilljonas, help?

I've got Mirliton's Communal Italian pack. Lovely models, but they won't end up as Italians. I'm painting them up to beef up my existing generic multi-purpose medieval Eurotrash army, so I can morph them into quite a few of the other Euro armies in the DBA book.

edit: Maybe I should add that DBA is up for revision in the near future. According to optimists all is well, while pessimists say it'll be the end of the Earth. I'm not too worried though. There'll be some changes to army lists though, but from what I can see, at least the Later Crusaders army box will still work for the next edition.

And that's some lovely tanks. I've got some Stugs a friend gave me to paint, as I kinda promised to get into FoW. I'm leaning towards russians though, and pics like that doesn't exactly help kill that desire.

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Oct 5, 2011

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
All this DBA talk got me working on some more stuff. I might as well post a couple of pictures to show what an unchecked DBA addiction can lead to.

I finished my knights. There's six stands with individual heraldry, and four knightly orders. That should be enough for most European medieval armies.

Actually, they're not completely finished; Knights look so much better with flags and pennants (just look at Lilljonas cool army).

Then I finally finished my gameboard by sanding and painting it for a desert table. This is actually the underside (which is why the text on the edges are upside down), with the other side an all green field. Some of the left over grass mat from that side is the green fields on this side to break up the brown.

Also, to finish the desert table, I made some terrain for it: two sand dunes and an oasis. The oasis has two removable little palm bases, and looks rather unnaturally stylistic, but that's to match my equally unnaturally stylistic waterway. (There's also a small hill there because I thought I needed one more)

Here's the kicker: I don't even have a "dry" army painted (ie an army with desert as home terrain). I do have some unpainted Egyptians laying around somewhere though...

R.S. Gumby fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Oct 9, 2011

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

The answer to this is always Early Libyans. 11 bases of psiloi and a light horse general. :)

Yeah, I thought of putting that together as a comedy army, as I probably has most of what I'd need for it in my bitz box. Plus it'd take like an hour to paint. Looks like they'll get options and stuff in the next edition though.

No, I've got some Fatimid Egyptians I'll get to eventually, and with my Berbers I'll be able to morph the army into a couple of other dry armies. But I've also had my eye on a few earlier desert armies; Early Bedouins, Palmyra and the Meroitic Kushites. Now that I have a desert table, I might as well get a couple of armies that could use it, right?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Bedouins I'm not too sure about. Few manufacturers have anything for them, and I think Essex might be the best bet. There's also Magister Militum (who I think is worse).

For Berber there's much more to choose from. At least if you're ok with a more generic medieval arabic look, as most muslim armies of the era had quite a lot in common visually. Essex, for example, has pretty much just one range of medievals, used to make most of the various armies, like Berber, Mamluks, Granadines and so on. Even the Christian Nubians use the same range. They're not the only manufacturer with this approach.

My impression is that heavy cavalry tend to have the most variation between armies, so it might be good to look into those a bit more carefully, at least if you're like me and rather unashamedly like to morph your armies as much as possible.

Mirliton makes a gorgeous range. There's no camels, so you'd need to find them elsewhere.
http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=historical-15mm-muslim-1096-1350

Legio Heroica also makes gorgeous minis, including a kickass Saladin. Again, no camels.
http://www.legio-heroica.com/Musulmani-en.html

Those are the two I think are the best, but you could always check the manufacturers listed on this page:
http://www.madaxeman.com/wiki2/tiki-index.php?page=Fanatic+Berber

The only ones I have any experience of though is Essex, as that's what I have. They're ok, but can't compare with Mirliton and Legio. I got them before Legio or Mirliton had even released their ranges though. I am thinking of buying a few more units (to be able to field a Big Battle army) and if I do, I'll probably go for Mirliton. Essex have (decentish but monopose) camels though.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

So I finally got the Mirliton Crusades box

What, no laundry services in the holy land?

That is a nice looking knight. Looks like he's straight from the battlefield, and the completed army should be pretty badass.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
That's some really nice crusaders. The Knights of Jerusalem looks great. The Templars too, although they might be a little bit too dirty/dark for my personal taste.

You don't need any painting advice from me though, so the only thing I'd recommend is to assemble the models before painting. I assume you left the lances off the Jerusalem knights to make it easier to give them flags? Just take care about gluing them on. You don't want to glue paint to paint for a weak joint, particularly not on 15mm weapons.

Meanwhile, in my little dungeon, I just assembled the last of my next batch of DBA models that should keep me occupied for a while. A Sung Chinese army and some european spearmen. Plus some Fatimid cavalry by Essex, that are rather bad models and I hate them already and am gonna try to get them killed and lose every battle I play with them just because.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

big_g posted:

As luck would have it I have loving lost or thrown out the lab bag that I had them stored in so now I Have knights with no pointy sticks. I have heard anyway that its a good idea to use brass rods as replacements, anyone with any experience of doing this swap?

Well, I have used brass spears here and there. It's worth it sometimes, like on pikemen. I much prefer the occasional stab wound to banana pikes any time I accidentally put my hand down on one. And on standard bearers and models with really soft/flimsy weapons. Anything by Xyston (well, of course that's because they come without weapons).

There's ready-made ones available, but they're also easy to make. Some thin brass rod, hammer one end flat, dremel it into a spear tip. Lances, much the same I assume, though I think it'd be enough just to rounding off the end rather than shaping it into a spear tip. I'll admit though, haven't had to replace any lances yet (although I'm tempted to, particularly on my Roman cavalry with their soft as hell weaponry).

With manufacturers like Mirliton who use white metal or similar it's usually not a big problem. In cases where the weapons come separately, replacing them is easy though and makes the models easier to handle, so it might be worth it for that reason sometimes.

Also, those tanks look bloody gorgeous. I just love the look of russian tank destroyers, and that worn roughed up look make them "pop" like a BT-7 at Kursk. Stop tempting me, man!

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Here's some stuff for DBA that I thought I'd share. Started working on some Sung Chinese, and as usual I start with the cool units, which for the Sung means artillery.

The army pack I bought came with two ballistas, which are quite boring, and through my very superficial research not the weapon you'd associate with the Sung. I threw them in the bitz box, and instead opted to make my own artillery, going for a couple of "crouching tiger" catapults. They turned out nice enough, so now I'm considering making a couple of european style counterweight trebuchets too.

I giggled at this Osprey illustration, apparently drawn by MC Escher.

Later Sung armies used a much cooler form of artillery though. Rockets! I couldn't resist making some rocket batteries to kick some Mongol rear end with.

Now I'm halfway through 4 stands of crossbows.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I just (almost) finished my Sung Chinese army for DBA. There's a horde missing, because I couldn't bother painting it, but it'll end up painted eventually.

They're an Essex armypack. Nice enough models. Monopose, but cheap, and it's not like there's lots of manufacturers competing to make Sung models.
The camp/bua is scratchbuilt and meant to look like city fortifications of the Sung era.

These should give the Mongols something to think about.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

Pierzak posted:

That's amazing. What scale are they?

Those are 15mm Later Crusaders by Mirliton. One of the nicer manufacturers for 15mm.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

Stop tempting me into starting WW2, no-one plays it around here anyway. :(
I just painted a StuG. :cry:

Now I'm just trying to figure out how much money I'm gonna give to Plastic Soldier Co. :suicide:

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
For mixing ancients and moderns, you could look at Hordes of the Things (or Hott), a DBA fantasy variant. It might not be exactly what you're after as differences in weaponry or army size won't be that big, but it allows you to build armies of pretty much anything imaginable. Here's a site with lists: http://meadhall.org.uk/listlist.htm

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.

lilljonas posted:

Tiny awesome samurai

Daaamn. Stunning work. Manufacturer?

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
I don't even play FoW, but dammit, I'm really tempted by that box. Haven't seen the price yet though. I'd love to paint some WWII stuff (even if it's Russians I really want).

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Hello Historicals, it's been a while since I did any gaming or painting, but I just got back into painting, at least. It's just a DBA army, finally assembling a Spartacus army (II/45c) which I've wanted for years. Not much to it, 13 stands with only an optional general.

And to finish off the army I built them a camp. Loosely based on a gladiator school reconstruction I found an image of, which might not make much sense as a camp but it looks pretty good.

I still have half a dozen unpainted armies to do, because I might have quit painting for a while, but I didn't stop buying.

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Just finished a tiny Bedouin army for DBA over at the oath thread:

Simplest army I've ever painted.

Also, for anyone with an interest in Rome & their enemies, this kickstarter might be of interest:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/832150598/war-and-empire-ii-legions-of-rome
I was part of their previous kickstarter (also about Rome), and I'm pretty sure I'll jump on this too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.S. Gumby
Jul 26, 2007

Utterly useless.
Thanks. The oasis was made ages ago for my Berber, but works good for these as well. Too bad, because making the camp is usually the most fun part of building a DBA army for me. But I have some Persians in need of a camp, so I guess that will be my next job.