Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Class Warcraft posted:

So I'm familiar with skirmish, mass skirmish, and mass battle, but today I just encountered someone describing a ruleset as "grand tactical" which is something I hadn't heard before. Which lead me to wonder what are all the various adjectives that are out there describing different rulesets and what do they mean?

For grand tactical, I'm either picturing nuclear war (tactical decision making, grand scale), tactical level skirmish game that follows a tactical level throughout an entire war, or a war game where you individually move every single troop in the entire war.

Tactical vs strategic: tactical refers to forces in contact and the decisions being made at that level. These are the choices a battlefield commander might make to gain the upper hand: flank here, move here, shoot there, suppress there. Strategic level refers to large scale decisions as well as things like procurement and doctrine. Land troops in France this summer, push eastwards, buy nukes, develop a separate air branch.

Advanced Squad Leader and Close Combat are tactical games--you're making placement decision, movement decisions on the individual level. Axis and allies is a strategic game--you're focusing on buying air, land, or sea forces with different benefits or restrictions, you're picking theatres and combats vaguely describe some sort of giant operation that takes place in regions of tens of thousands of square miles.

Grand strategy usually refers to nation-state level conflict. Think of The Great Game. A weird side effect of that, however, is that games that portray that have noticed that nation states tend to be unequal entities in unique multi-faceted situations. To simulate that, games often break away from straight contest win conditions and have a more freeform play-style. A game of Europa Universalis, noted grand strategy game, can be played from the point of view of a major colonial power vying against other major colonial powers, but it can also be from the point of view of a small power trying to maintain relevance among giants. I think, like how roguelike has changed its meaning, has slowly changed the meaning of grand strategy in the context of wargames, so it's anyone's guess what a "grand tactical" game might mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Grey Hunter posted:

Working off the British army way of organizing would be fun - you bought your commission, and now your trying to make cash off it - so when you cash out in ten years time, you get more than you paid.

Every year (turn?) you would get the money from the government to raise, equip and train your troops, but, being a 18th Century officer, you cut as many corners as possible, as every penny you spend, your giving away victory points - get cheap rations for your troops, and you save some cash, skimp on training to keep the powder costs down.

The thing, you are at war, so you also need to have your troops good enough to fight - now, if your regiment does well in war, its glory goes up, so when you cash out at the end of the game, you get more when you sell your commission.

Players would be balancing short term vs long term gains, then seeing who cashes out the best.

It would be a fun and thematic game, especially when you have to cut the rum ration because you lost the money playing cards at the officers club.....

Oh wow, a mechanic where you can buy promotions and then affect the orders assigned to other players would be amazing. You want the other players that you bought rank over to succeed since it brings you success, but not succeed too much.