Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gettin some cold war all up in this piece.

I really need to finish the rest of them, and then actually buy Cold War Commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Nice tanks, are they from GHQ? I'd love to try CWC sometimes since T-72 and T-55 are my favourite tanks. :3:

Yeah, I've got a big pile of mostly unpainted GHQ soviet stuff. It's not the cheapest though, but you can sometimes find really great deals with people selling off badly painted forces on Ebay that you can strip. I just love the BTR-70 and 80, which is what sold me on Soviets. I picked up some from Magister Militum, and a fairly large chunk of it from Ebay which had been painted (horribly) as Iraqi army.

I wish the metal wasn't so soft though, so the gun barrels on the tanks bend every which way if you so much as touch them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Ambush Alley

I really like the sound of this. I've got some 28mm 80s soviets and afghan freedom fighters that would work well...

Hm, there's some kind of jet dogfighting tabletop game that a friend has. With that, Ambush Alley (or their Force on Force rules for rather more symmetric warfare), and Cold War Commander... we could play a Red Dawn campaign in three different scales! Now to get some miniatures painted!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 3, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Also Ive heard this said a number of times before on SA - why is it hard to convince your friends (who I assume are wargamers) to play with you. .

Because most of the guys I game with have wives and all of us have jobs and other hobbies, so we don't play that often... and WFB or 40k is the kinda lowest common denominator. As has been said elsewhere on SA, there's a difference between being a wargamer and playing GW games. Not all GW players will want to play other games, sad though it is. And settings with a background to get into seem to appeal to some more than the real world (while of course if you go browse historics forums, you'll see people who sometimes can't get their head round settings that aren't real world based)

All of my mates have 40k armies, but two people don't want to play anything that isn't GW because they don't really enjoy the game per se but likes the fantasy and 40k fluff, another only really wants to play Battletech (which I strongly dislike) but will play GW games because he used to like them back in the day, two only really want to play WFB (one because he likes the rules, one because he likes the fluff) and they get visibly bored during 40k, and I don't have a WFB army and don't really want one. If we're gaming once every couple of months, then playing a game that one person isn't going to turn up to means no gaming for them for two or three months so we try to avoid that mostly and just have a game that everyone who can make a date wants to play.

We play boardgames more often, since they have a more general appeal amongst us to be honest and have quick pick-up-and-play rules for the most part. Sometimes wargames-light ones like the old Axis & Allies and stuff like that.

I'd love to play more regularly, but since several of us work pretty long hours and commute, weekdays are never an option and scheduling gaming at weekends involves scheduling around wives/girlfriends/actually leaving the house and being sociable with non-nerds.

Edit: Solo play wargaming sounds intriguing, if even more nerdy somehow. Might get Ambush Alley in a couple of months when some horrifying expenses have passed.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 3, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Well my gaming group all have wives and kids, we get to play every fortnight. I think its preferable to us all going out getting pissed in some pub.

We don't all hang out together the rest of the time though, so we mostly have kinda separate groups of friends in different places which is what gets in the way.

So if I'm out to the pub, friend A might be going to an archery lesson while friend B is taking his wife out somewhere whilst C and D want to game but neither of them has space at their place so relies on someone who has a gaming table being free. Such are the perils of our hectic lives!

So that this isn't all E/N whining from me, does anyone have any links to good guides to making 6mm scenery?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Cold War Commander arrived in the post.

It looks great - reminds me a lot of Games Workshop's Epic ruleset in its simplicity.

Serotonin posted:

I also have a penchant for historical fiction (yeah I know most of its poo poo, but I still enjoy it)

I'm pretty sure my current interest in replaying the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan originally stems from reading a Tom Clancy book at a tender age, and the last part of The Living Daylights film.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 5, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

As far as other hobbies relating to my love of history go:

(Not cosplay)

I can't remember seeing you post that much about it before - are you one of these guys who takes it super-seriously with every last button and stitch having to be historically accurate?

Prime white or grey, that's what I'd do.

Also, gently caress brass etch 1/285 helicopter rotor blades. gently caress it right where it hurts.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

There's actually a thread about it in TFR.

Cool, thanks.

I would not have thought to look in TFR. Since I am in the UK, TFR is like a foreign country to me where people live out wild dreams that I can never hope to touch.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Good choice. Its similar to Epic but more akin to Warmaster. Its awesome.
And yes those brass etched rotors are cunts.

Looking at the army lists, might need to fiddle them a bit for what I want to play. I'm thinking the Afghan Mujihadeen could do with guys on horseback and technicals rather than just infantry. However, right now it's time to start painting some vehicles.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BeigeJacket posted:

Do any of you modern players want to buy get some 28mm arab street fighters on the cheap ? I've 16 of them, unpainted, hanging around.

They are from Mongrel miniatures, representing the 82 Israeli-Lebanon war, and are pretty nice sculpts. Another unstarted project :smith:

If you're in the UK, gently caress yes.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

BeigeJacket posted:

I am.

The Mongrel Miniatures site has been down for a few days now, so I can't get any pics. They are armed with small arms, can't remeber if there's any RPG-ers, I'll dig them out tonight and have a look.

I don't have plat so lemme know how to contact you and we can work out the details.

I know what they look like - I've bought stuff from Mongrel before. My email is dangerDOToctopus AT googlemail.com

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

I just ordered 96 infantry dudes. :argh:

Ok so it's 6mm so that is one 5 quid blister and I'm just trying it out

They'll be really lonely and sad without lots of tiny friends...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

6mm is crack.

honk honk

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

How can a baby be born 10 weeks old?

Deployed from reserves in the second turn.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Oh also lilljonas, a good tip for 6mm painting is always use a shade lighter for your base colour on 6mm's than you would if you were painting larger scale figures.

I keep forgetting about this. Things look really dark in 6mm

LintMan posted:

Next is Steve Hills Objective, again very good painter and alway a good fight.

Love the chillaxin' nazis

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

I made the mistake with my first 6mm project, British moderns, and used the correct green and black on the camo schemes on the tanks and they look really really dark now, almost impossible to see the camo scheme from more than 6 inches away.

I've seen quite a few of pictures of people's 6mm stuff where they go for really, really extreme highlights to get round this rather than brightening the base colour a lot.

Here is another thing I am realising about 6mm - base your armour because then you can right what it is on the underside of the base, because I honestly can't tell some of these vehicles apart easily, or remember exactly what they are once I've got them out of the box!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
So I've got Cold War Commander, but now I've got a different problem. The army lists at the back have dates vehicles were used, but how do I find out more specifics? Once I've picked a period and area that I want to build a force for, do I need to go digging through depths of internet forums and websites about specific conflicts/armies to find out what would have actually been used there by the relevant forces, or are there any good general resources for this?

Wikipedia is great for telling you which countries used a vehicle and the date they started being used, or which regiments were deployed but not what they would have used. There appears to be endless internet detail for exactly when/where WW2 armour was deployed, but not as much after '45.

To be more narrow about it, if anyone knows of any good sites/books/films/documentaries about NATO/Warsaw Pact forces facing off in the cold war, particular in Berlin, that would be great since I've got a good analysis book about the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan that I can get the relevant detail out of...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

http://www.blitzkrieg-commander.com/Content/Forum/default.aspx

Join us Join us

These guys will help you out big time.

Sweet. I would go join TMP but I can't get over a] the horrifying web design and b] every thread about "how should I paint X" or "could army Y field unit Z in 1985?" seems to become a bunch of veterans trading stories... so I just browse it occasionally...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Well poo poo, I bought the wrong tanks for my CWC Soviet force (T-72s as opposed to the T-62s that I probably should have got). On the other hand, I don't actually know anyone in real life who would notice the difference or even care, so to hell with it.

Also, I have a lot more AT and AA than I will ever need. Still, I think I've got around 2000 points when I a] paint it all and b] oh my god I need a few more infantry units that's the last thing I want oh jesus 6mm soft white metal infantry. Removing flash from the infantry figures is going to drive me insaaaane.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 11, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

These are all 28mm, not 15mm.

On the other hand, they're really nice sculpts.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hey Serotonin, what do you use to make aerials for 6mm vehicles/radio operators?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Irregular Miniatures have a wide variety of historics and some moderns, in all the expected scales (2,6,10,15,20 & 25mm). Some of the sculpts don't look amazing but at smaller scales that's not a huge issue, and they have a really big selection of 6mm buildings/scenery for pre-20th century settings.

Also some kind of 6mm mammoth miniatures and rulesets for "Tusk: the classic game of mammoth hunting from 12,000BC to 1914AD" which would suit whoever wanted a caveman based game.

Edit:

Serotonin, I don't know how you avoid going loving insane painting 6mm infantry as well as you do

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 14, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Part of the 40th Army, 5th Motorized Rifle Division, somewhere in Herat province in the mid 80s

Click here for the full 1200x406 image.

I've got about thirteen vehicles (btr-70s, T-72s & BM-21s) and then as many infantry as I can face left and then I'm done for my soviet force. Also need a better way to photograph teeny models.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Nice.

Heres a hint, If you are using a white backgrounds, set your cameras expsoure compensation by +1 or 2 stops.

:ssh: I usually just hit the make picture go now button but will EXPERIMENT

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Is anyone interested in some unpainted 28mm world war one miniatures?

I've got some Renegade miniatures british soldiers. I think I've got 15 or so, plus a vickers gun and crew as well as a Wargames Foundry machinegun team. Postage will be cheaper to the UK, but I can happily post them further if anyone's interested. Lay out your email address if you're interested in photos and I'll suggest a low, low price so cheap I'm cutting my own throat.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Nuclear Pogostick posted:

Oooh. Interesting. I'd PM you my email, but you apparently don't have plat.

you could email me at dangerDOToctopus at googlemailDOTcom. Decipher the code to contact me!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

How about some 90mm Medieval Minitaure gaming:

I keep expecting to see someone trying out rules for 1/6 scale (dragon/action man/barbie 12" figures) skirmish games.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anyone got any reccomendations for places to get 1/285 or 1/300 scale modern buildings? I'm looking for things like office blocks, fast food restaurants, homes that wouldn't be out of place in Western Europe or the USA. I can find lots of WW2 era stuff but not as much modern. I'd prefer solid models but papercraft would work at a push... so guides to scratchbuilding this kind of thing would help.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

On related news, the last of my Soviets arrive today, so expect some pics of them unpainted but based and lined up like a huge hoard of communists.

Horde of communists, you say?

1 Mi-24 Hind, 5 more BTR-70s, some infantry and a BM-21 and then I'm done and can start on my British. Then when they're done, some mujihadeen.

Also, trying to straighten out soft metal gun barrels is going to drive me insane.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Are you basing the little samurai guys by covering the base in spackle then pressing the figures into it?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Not that you mention it, just pushing them down into a layer of spackle sounds much better and easier too.

I've got something like a hundred 6mm infantry to base so am going to be experimenting!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

What period? And well, my 100 infantry only lasted me six bases!

Cold war Soviets. Then after that I've got the same amount again of British. Probably about five guys to a base but I can be fairly free and easy since I'll just be playing with mates.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Hey Serotonin (or anyone else 6mm oriented) - how would you go about making 6mm camo netting? I was thinking cutting bits out of a pair of tights and then carefully glueing a few bits of flock to them...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

Since the 40k thread is currently laughing about a deep-striking Land Raider, I thought I'd throw this out as an idea for deep-striking historicals:

[apocalypse-then.jpg]

"Why, pray, art thou sitting on thy helmets?"
"Ah, sirrah - it dost prevent thy cods being blown to smithereens by yon cannon!"

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Just got infantry to do now. This is the most recent portion of my Soviet army with some BM-21s, BTR-70s, T-72s, some Spetsnaz and my FAC (I know that the Straight Flush isn't actually used for that purpose, but it looks neat)

Click here for the full 700x448 image.

Click here for the full 700x440 image.

Click here for the full 800x429 image.

Click here for the full 1100x514 image.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

Needs more air support.

I've got an unpainted Hind next after the infantry.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

They're doing a Vietnam game too, if that's any help.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Devlan Mud posted:

it looks a heck of a lot like 4th Edition 40k, except with krauts and frogs and mark IV tanks.

gently caress that sounds awesome.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

big_g posted:

Thought you guys might like a look at my next 1/35 project after the T34 a few pages back.

You could crosspost this in the scale modelling thread since I don't think everyone there is a dice-rolling nerd who frequents this thread too. Also, I love the camo you're going for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Is it really that much of a bother?

I'm in the UK and have no problems buying from the rest of Europe, but I've occasionally been hit with fairly hefty customs charges when buying stuff from the USA, and that does discourage me a lot to be honest. Also, it can involve really pricey shipping for some stores to send from the US to the UK, and a few don't even like to ship outside the states. That said, not taking advantage of a good exchange rate can be foolish. I really regret not buying more from the states and taking the hit on shipping when the exchange rate was awesomely good.