Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

So last night my GF realized that there is actually an upside to my "nerdy hobby thing": even my modest freehand skills make me better at painting complicated nail polish designs than those hacks at the local nail studio. So I took a break in painting the samurai to do a couple of different versions on her nails, mixing acrylics with varnish and actual nail polish. A nice evening of appreciation for a hobby what is normally considered more of a nuisance.

Historicals: even my modest freehand skills make me better at painting complicated nail polish designs than those hacks at the local nail studio

Edit: Buy some transfers. Tell her that you'd love her more if she had early '44 Eastern front unit recognition markings on her nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Next up, Canvas Eagle Fever is gripping the club: groups of 1/144 WW1 biplanes are being assembled and painted for dogfights. I'm thinking of picking up a bomber and a fighter or two at Skytrex, they look cheap and lovely. Anyone have a favourite WW1 plane? I used to play the Red Baron PC game as a kid, but I don't remember any favourites at all. I might do some French as they are the odd man out at the moment, and the Nieuport planes are pretty cute.

Sopwith Camel. Biggles all the way!

Also, if you get into this sort of thing, do not watch the film Flyboys. It might have Jean Reno, and promise awesome WW1 action but it is painfully bad.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

big_g posted:

Here's where I am with the Wasp

I love the look of some of the WW2 guns of this ilk. I've got a ridiculously chunky L61 Sturer Emil (that I kinda hosed up by a] trying to kitbash it into a warhammer 40k vehicle and b] paint really badly)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
You know you're a child of the 80s if

I am pretty much a masochist, since it's not a pattern to attempt in 6mm if you lack patience & awesome skills

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone know what line/seller these are from? They seem to be based on pennies so I'm pretty sure they're 15mm..

I've got some 28mm figures that look pretty much exactly like those insurgents. I don't know what range they are, but they turn up on Ebay frequently if you search for 28mm Taliban

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Its a hard one to judge, the real value of painted minis. People will pay what they think they are worth I guess, as you have witnessed on eBay.

A lot of people hate painting too. The CWC rulebook writer mentions this at the back, that he does but feels it's a necessary evil.

If you can't stand painting (or simply don't have the skills whether due to lack of effort/practice/genuine problems stopping you) then why not pay more?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Empress Miniatures have released a pretty cool 28mm modern combat range including SAS guys who look like Captain Price and Gaz from CoD:Modern Warfare, an EOD team so you can play Hurt Locker and some really nice Taliban models.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 12, 2010

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guildenstern posted:

Someone please stop me from buying a hundred GHQ models I'll never paint before it's too late :(

I've got a ton that are unpainted, and I'm not even sure if any of my friends want to play it with me so no, I'm not going to help stop you.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Wow, today I had an epiphany, and it was induced by Worlds End Radio none the less. I've used foliage clusters from Woodland Scenics now and then, but it never struck me that you can paint it. I've just stuck it to things and been happy with it. So while listening to the podcast today they throw a side remark about using washes to shade foliage clumps, and drat, it's just so obvious! So I get home and try it, and a black wash for shadows followed by a slight bubonic brown drybrushed highlight actually did a lot to make them look more natural.

Did I feel stupid or what.

Was reading a build report in some modelling magazine and found out that some people paint their static grass blade by blade if it's not the right colour :psyduck:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Does anywhere (either in the UK, or happy to ship to the UK) sell 28mm Iraqi/generic middle eastern civilians?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
:siren: Free miniatures! :siren:

Does anyone (preferably in the UK) want a 28mm four man modern British platoon command and a modern British army piper?

I got them free from The Assault Group after they messed up some packs I was ordering for a diorama, so if someone else will put them to good use, let me know. I'd prefer UK since it'd be pennies to post, but if someone overseas wants them and no one else does...

Also, TAG are really good at fixing orders, and quick too, so I reccomend them.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
My friends seem to be getting a bit bored of warhammer, which means I have less motivation to paint spacemen than usual. With that in mind, I am intending a new year's resolution to actually finish all the 6mm stuff I've got.

So how does this look as an attempt at British Berlin camo?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Digital camo is hard as hell to paint (don't ask me about my attempt at painting a real A.E.G. G-IV camo) and that is close enough plus it looks great. Go for it.

Thanks!

Any suggestions (from anyone really) about how to base Berlin Brigade figures and vehicles? I feel that plain dark grey tarmac would be accurate I guess but might look a little boring. Would jazzing it up with bits of pavement etc be too silly or would that work? If anyone has photos of urban 6mm basing, I'd love to see.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

Holy shitballs, TimeCast mailed me and they want to sell my houses in the UK. That came... suddenly. Time to step up my game and make some better houses, because they have some serious high quality stuff in their own ranges.

:respek:

I really want to shell out on a ton of the timecast modern buildings so I can make a small town, but that's a lot of expense for something I am unlikely to use more than once a year. Cardboard buildings it is!

Actually, on that topic.... if I don't want papercraft 6mm buildings, but want to make my own from scratch... is making them out of sturdy card the best option, or is there some awesome but cheap sculpting material I'm not aware of for making solid buildings with door/window/roof tile level detail?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

I make mine out of plasticard, as foamcore is too thick for most stuff in 6mm. Really sturdy cardboard should do as well.

This is clearly a noob question, but how do you get plasticard to stay together at right angle joins if you're making somewhat cuboid things? The only times I've used it as more than a base/detailing material, it just falls to bits with a little handling.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

KongGeorgeVII posted:

I was just wondering, would it be stupid to use PVA glue to fill the gap of space between a FoW soldier's metal base and the plastic base the models are all put on? As in to build up the ground? What are other cheap alternatives?

vallejo grey pumice texture paste (it's just paint with sand in it, to be honest) works well if you use it quite thickly.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lord Commissar posted:

To make it worse, my family were Polish Jews, but mostly they left before Hitler even took power in Germany (lucky for me!).

Family war stories ITT. Some of my family were Polish Jews as well, and a couple of them left, but most did not. My grandad survived the war because he was captured during the invasion of Poland and spent the war as a POW (my Dad has postcards from him with a srs bsns stalag name stamped onto them) so didn't end up in a ghetto.

The 40s didn't really go well for my family since I have a grandfather who was in a POW camp, various family who went to the other kind of camps and still another relative who ended up in the Gulag system for two decades. Trifecta! :smith:

Armoured trains are awesome, though. The nerd inside me always thought it'd be fun to have a model railway setup, so your tabletop battle had an armoured train driving round and round. Also, railway guns.

edit: I guess this talk of Polish partisans has really derailed the discussion of armoured trains :downsrim:

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

I'm looking to make some 1/285 buildings, but after some experimenting don't want to make them out of plasticard - I'd rather use something solid. They don't need to be incredibly detailed - enough to have door and window shapes and a bit of simple texture on the roof.

Can anyone suggest a good material to make them out of? I know some people use stuff like sculpey and fimo - are they good for this kind of thing or are they intended for more/less detailed work?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The main problem with cardboard is that most of my gamer friends are clumsy idiots who have a couple of beers during games and will then quite possibly end up crushing any scenery that isn't solid. :smith:

It is a running joke that one of them has to bring his glue along to games because he is incapable of setting up his own army without half the miniatures coming away from the bases while he's moving them around.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

If you just want something sturdy and solid that is still ok to work with, check out high density styrofoam, the pink or blue stuff used for insulation in houses. Y

Awesome, thanks

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Oxford Comma posted:

Empress Minis are supposed to look awesome. I'll let you know in a week or so when mine come in.

I've got some of the Empress Zulu Wars stuff and the quality is really good.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Since there's at least a couple of people here interested in Cold War gaming, hopefully someone can help with a more tactical kind of question, since I'm not really sure where else I could ask on SA and have been wondering while thinking about Nato vs Warsaw Pact gaming.

In the event of WW3 starting, or the cold war getting hotter in a limited way... what on earth were the American, French and British forces in West Berlin during the cold war meant to actually do?

They're surrounded by East Germany, facing their military forces across the wall and Soviet troops are presumably able to turn up in a hurry, so what the heck was meant to happen?

Were they supposed to hold out until NATO forces get across East Germany and meet them, or were they really a token force intended to just sit tight, surrounded, and hope that in order to avoid civilian casualties West Berlin is left alone while T-72s roll across Europe? Or was there some kind of allied plan to keep an air corridor open to West Berlin by force?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Thanks!

There's a actually a sometimes interesting cold war thread in TFR, but it gets rather more technical than I can understand at times, and is focussed on air power.

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 25, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I wasn't so hot on IRA stuff but they wanted to do a more modern skirmish level thing, so we decided on IRA vs UDA. Previously we did Gangs of New York, Prohibition era Mafia and Libya. We had also considered doing an inner city Gangs (IE Crips vs Bloods or similar) but shockingly the miniature support for that is absolutely terrible. This is all for Legends of the Old West BTW.

There's a skirmish game I can't remember the name of that's police versus British football hooligans with suitable miniatures available. There are also a few miniatures for some 70s cop skirmish game based on The Sweeney called Geezers! Shut it!, which I think had an expansion set in the US with a few miniatures for that too. They're a bit campy and more about a fun theme than any kind of realism/simulation level of rules, but they might appeal or if you can find the miniatures somewhere, you could use them with a ruleset of your choice.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I'm going to be finally going back to painting up some of my cold war 6mm stuff.

I'm not sure what to do about bases, as always. I really like the look of these kind of urban bases where bases have bits of road, pavement etc. I guess it follows from mostly paint 28mm where bases are larger and you have more space to put on details like that.

Would that kind of thing in 6mm look absolutely ridiculous when moving troops around on the tabletop and is it best to stick to something relatively neutral without obvious scenic features? I've not that much experience with 6mm other than painting it just for myself. I need to get two armies done so I can persuade my friends to try it!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Companies that don't have pictures of their products, and then ship an order in unlabelled bags are rather annoying! I have several bags of 6mm tanks, and several bags of separate turrets, so now I need to scour the internet for pictures to work out which bags of turrets go with which bags of tanks!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

There is no excuse to not have pictures up on your website of your products in the year 2012. No excuse.

Also was not a fan of having to email my order and wait to be sent a paypal invoice. Shopping carts are popular in online stores, in space year 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

Can't you Google the name of the tank for pictures?

I did this and worked it out, it's okay. Some tanks are pretty similar though - thank god I wasn't buying different variations of the same model.

Still, I now have (even more) stuff to paint, old Osprey books for reference, and will be getting round to it soon.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

First platoon done!

These are awesome

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Comparison time!

(okay, maybe no one cares, but I was wondering about the differences between different 6mm producers so made a few purchases of things I wanted anyway)

Sorry that the photos are a bit unclear - no lightbox at the moment.

Chieftan

Left to right - GHQ, Scotia, Heroics & Ros

The GHQ model worked out at around twice the price of the others, and to be honest the difference is noticeable. The detail is really crisp on the GHQ tank, particularly on the turrets, tracks and the front of the tank deck, and there's minimal flash as well (not that there was too much on the others when compared to the 28mm stuff I'm used to). The Scotia Chieftan is clearly smaller than the other two models, but has better detailing than the Heroics & Ros one. The track section is a bit blurry in places on the H&R tank too.
Bonus points to Scotia though, because the gun barrel is way thicker on theirs rhan the other two. This is good because white metal is soft, so as you can tell, it bends really easily and straightening gun barrels is a nightmare. Thicker is definitely better :v:

T-55

Scotia on the left, Heroics & Ros on the right.

The Scotia tank is noticeably smaller again, and the tank deck/turret is a lot less detailed than the H&R model. Curiously the whole track section of the Scotia, however, is definitely more detailed than on the H&R. The H&R T-55 also has a longer barrel but I'm not going to try to work out which is more realistic.

It's worth noting that the GHQ pack had five tank hulls and five turrets. H&R sent me five of each tank hull, five Chieftan turrets and six T-55 turrets. Scotia, on the other hand, sent five of each tank hull and six of each turret. Since the turrets are probably easily lost (or barrels accidentally twisted until they won't twist back without kinks) this is nice.

The lack of detail on some doesn't really bother me much, but the size difference is little annoying, since it's the kind of thing that would probably catch my eye if I was mixing different companies' products on the tabletop. That said, if you're getting upset about realism and scale in 6mm, you should probably chill out a bit.

I've heard that some particular models from Scotia/H&R are really bad, while others are very good, so quality may be entirely dependent on exactly what you're ordering, which is why photos of everything would also be good in their stores, as previously mentioned!

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

I care...

6mm aint all the same. Heroics and Ros are 1/300 while GHQ are 1/285. Heroic 6mm if you like!

Also have you checked out CinC? Same quality as GHQ but a little cheaper.

Where do you get CinC from in the UK? I could find American places selling it, but not UK ones..

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Serotonin posted:

Been out for over a year now

http://www.crooked-dice.co.uk/7tv.html

This looks awesome and I wish I had friends who would play this!

1/285 Berlin Brigade Chieftans and East German T-55s for Cold War Commander

Next up: more of the same!

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 26, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Edit: Crap, double post

Danger - Octopus! fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 26, 2012

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Whoever (Serotonin, probably) reccomended Wargames Emporium as a place to buy stuff - thanks! I placed an order online at 8 on Friday evening... and a package from them was waiting on the doormat when I came home from work today. Now that's good service, as opposed to other companies who've left me hanging for weeks without saying whether or not items are in stock, discontinued or whatever...

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

lilljonas posted:

I thought it was going to happen sooner or later once Rick Priestley left GW. Warhammer Historicals had been on minimum life support for years even at that point. I'm happy to see that Black Powder is doing as well as it does, once he and Jervis could make a historical game that is not completely overshadowed by other games with higher priority within the company.

They might end up getting reprinted by someone else, like FFG picked up Rogue Trader, hopefully?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Colonial Air Force posted:

If by "nearly" you mean "entirely identical except the publisher logos". It is literally the same game, and then expanded.

Which would be great if FFG did it.

Yeah, this is what I meant!

I kept meaning to try GW's WW1 game (because some of my friends like historics, some like GW and this would get all of them at the same table)

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Arquinsiel posted:

I think I need to get my hands on these Micromark lists....

The link Serotonin posted is kinda awkward to search IMO, but if you get the relevant free catalogue, it gives you all the reference numbers which means you can go straight for what you need.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Honk honk 6mm coming through

I'm sort of glad that FoW don't have a Cold War version, because if they did I'd end up buying it (and all the miniatures) in a heartbeat. It sounds pretty cool from a rules point of view, but I'm not interesting in WW2 gaming at the mo.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LintMan posted:

My Chieftains are painted in the Berlin Brigade Camo scheme. Its a urban camo based on the old WWI era Dazzle scheme. Its designed to break up the tanks lines so at distance it won't be recognized quickly as a tank.

6mm Berlin Brigade buddy! :respek:

They look awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
On the subject of Force on Force (which I have just bought, and it seems pretty awesome), can anyone reccomend figures suitable for being the armed American resistance in a Red Dawn inspired game? Ideally in 28mm but I'm willing to go smaller...

Edit: Wolverines!