Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I'm really interested in FoW. And I like to dive in head-first with an army that's gonna kick my rear end and force me to learn the game, so I'm thinking Rangers or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

FirstCongoWar posted:

Paratroopers!

They're elite infantry and relatively cheap (in a $$$ sense). Plus you can support them with all sorts of tanks, plans, and artillery once you decide to branch out.

Yeah, that's the other thing I was considering actually. Paratroopers and Rangers are fuckawesome.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PaintVagrant posted:

Is it just me or does that 10mm pendraken stuff look a lot nicer than than FoW models?

6/10 mm owns compared to 15mm

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I don't think I've ever heard the term bongo used for anything (in the US).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Chenghiz posted:

Anything ... else :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I always referred to those as gazongas, not bongos :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Commissar posted:

Hey guys, we have our own website, but let's just hotlink to photobucket anyway!

On related news, the last of my Soviets arrive today, so expect some pics of them unpainted but based and lined up like a huge hoard of communists.

They really have the worst loving website. I never even use it when I'm ordering stuff for people.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Commissar posted:

I just meant, if you compared it to a similar-sized force. I know how much I spent on my 225-model IG army, compared to this (which has 373), and this was cheaper.

It's not exactly apples-to-apples, though.

Yeah... I'd equate one IG dude to one base of standard infantry, model-wise (I know the points don't come out to be the same, but still).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

It's more like a marine to a base of infantry really, there's not that many bases in an army. My 1k points of Germans has about 20 IIRC.

Oh I understand that, I just meant like... the amount of effort needed to get the model/base ready for gaming.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Fuckin' Flames of War, now I'm gonna have to start playing that drat game. Found I can pretty much make a 2k Mid War Ranger battalion for like 125$, and I'm all over that poo poo.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

moths posted:

I keep looking at FoW, and the models and rules seem awesome, but I absolutely cannot get past the Nazi stuff. :(

Good thing most germans weren't Nazi's then :P

S.J.
May 19, 2008

For someone about to get into FoW, this helped a lot.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That is rad as gently caress.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Silhouette posted:

Oh god yes. It's the best 28mm game GW's released, it's basically LoTR with Mordheim's campaign rules.

Gorkamorka would like to have words with you :colbert:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Got to play my first FoW game today! My Ranger battalion against a Panzergrenadier kompanie. I lost at the end but I murdalized all of his infantry. He didn't end up taking any objectives, but I failed my company motivation since my last Compay Co. died. FoW owns.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Yeah the guys around here have been really psyched about it. Sounds rad as hell.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

big_g posted:

I really, really hope this pays true to the Polish defence against the German invasion and not some bullshit unstoppable blitzkrieg fictional bullshit.

I also wonder how they will address (if at all) the total political failure and betrayal of the British and French towards their ally.

It'll be interesting to see if they do it historically correct or just what people get taught in middle school.

I don't see why they would treat it any differently than their other products. The game rules are relatively simplified but they don't skimp on historical accuracy.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Tamir Lenk posted:

Depends. High initiative mounted armies tend to get pretty open tables by choosing Steppes when they can.

Otherwise, the terrain system is pretty balanced. I've seen both open and cluttered boards. Even sparse terrain can gently caress you when one of the few pieces is right in the middle.

How does the terrain work? Do you roll to see what kind of terrain you'll be playing on? FoG always looked really loving rad to me.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

I imagine cavalry-heavy armies have a much higher initiative, then. That sounds really cool.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Does it help if you stick to armies that are in the same time period? Or is it not a big deal having two armies fight each other that were otherwise separated by 500 years?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

lilljonas posted:

Usually, yes. For most wargames I think it is easiest and most balanced to field the armies against an historical enemy. Romans vs. Gauls are usually a balanced fight with each sides having distinct strenghts and weaknesses. So do Crusader armies against Saracens. But fielding a slowly marching wall of Greek hoplites against an all cavalry steppe army is a bit more difficult, as the armies are not really made for an exciting battle.

That doesn't make fighting across time periods impossible in most systems, just that historical pairings often make for the most interesting and cinematic battles.

Well, I meant for FoG in particular. I've paged through the rules once or twice at work but didn't get much out of it other than the basics of the unit stats.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Alright, I got 3 M3 75mm GMCs coming in and then my 2k mid war Rangers will be done:
Company HQ
Darby
2 full Ranger companies with mortars
1 full ranger company without mortars
Full Sherman Platoon
Chemical Mortar Platoon
105 battery
75mm GMC Platoon with AA .50s

That should be 2k on the dot

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Wait... what? You get Ranger COMPANIES?

Yeah, you buy ranger companies because they're a more elite unit. It's the same with british Commandos. Each company is 1 or 2 platoons. Each platoon is 6 rifle/mg teams + platoon HQ with the option to buy a mortar. Though each platoon operates independently, ranger comapnies are deployed all at the same time.

Cool thing about rangers though, is that only the actual Ranger Platoons count for whether or not I have to take a company command test. The support platoons I buy don't count as being destroyed or being on the table for a company morale check. So while you have to still deal with all of my support I'll never even have to think about running away until you also kill 4 platoons of dudes.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

That's still an obscene amount of dude on the table. IIRC a Commando army would be drat expensive with each platoon being 330 points basic, so I'm guessing Rangers are similar.

Pretty similar, but fearless trained instead of vets. They obviously aren't as good in combat as commandos (like anyone loving is), but they can Truscot Trot through difficult going and they all have mountaineers. A full company with the two mortars is 320 points.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Commissar posted:

That's fine, but the sculpts look EXACTLY like samurais

they really don't

S.J.
May 19, 2008

No Pun Intended posted:

Is there any reason, other than looking good, to put bases on my FoW Tanks?

nope

e: and personally I don't like the way it looks because whenever you play on a board that doesn't fit your basing style it looks out of place

S.J.
May 19, 2008

That makes me wanna play Shogun: Total War so bad

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Devlan Mud posted:

:black101:

Is this the FoW train finally?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

PeterWeller posted:

I think it's awesome that this train is getting people amped to play the Polish. My awesomely mustachioed rode-his-horse-against-panzers granddad would be pleased.

gently caress yes Polish resistance

S.J.
May 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

So when putting together a FoW army what is the milestone to aim for, points-wise?

1500-2000, depending on what the locals in your area tend to play. The scale is very similar to 40k/Fantasy if you've ever played that, but for your infantry platoons you're buying stands instead of individual guys.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

shotgunbadger posted:

So I'm kinda being tempted by FoW, looks like exactly my kind of historical game. I'm really not sure who I want to play though, everyone seems to have so many cool options.

I'm a bit tempted to avoid being haunted by my Grandpa and play Romania, how do they play out since they're, from what I read, a kind of fringe 'oh why not throw these guys in too' type army?

The other temptation is France, France is pretty neat.

Well, first thing's first: do you want to play early, mid, or late war? Because the options, and points costs are quite different between them.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Commissar posted:

Big clearance at Foundry.

Is this an Australian site?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Lord Commissar posted:

No, they're in Nottingham.

Well, okay then. I was just wondering why a Tactical squad box on clearance cost almost 50 USD.