Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So does anyone here play the Warhammer Historical series of historic wargames? My LGS has a decent little splinter group of players for it and a nice selection to pick from, and since I just can't get enough of that GW cock (also I love how it encompasses everything from spear and slings to wild west and the rules look solid) has anyone ever tried it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Serotonin posted:

Warhammer Historical and Warmaster Historical are pretty idnetical to their fantasy counterparts, with obviously some additional rules to cover one or two special rules/scenarios. If youve played either WFB or Warmatser you could pick up the historical counterparts in minutes.

Personally I much prefer Warmaster Historical to Warhammer Historical, but thats more about my enjoyment of grander scale games.

Yea this was my main draw to it, I play Warhammer already and really don't much care to learn a brand new system, I just wanna play Warhammer, but instead of magic farting elves I wanna be Egyptians slaughtering some Assyrians.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So I'm kinda being tempted by FoW, looks like exactly my kind of historical game. I'm really not sure who I want to play though, everyone seems to have so many cool options.

I'm a bit tempted to avoid being haunted by my Grandpa and play Romania, how do they play out since they're, from what I read, a kind of fringe 'oh why not throw these guys in too' type army?

The other temptation is France, France is pretty neat.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Oh yea, that's a good question isn't it. Honestly this is where being a history nerd kills me because my ideal answer is 'all three, and every faction' but I suppose Early War is the most interesting period to me.

Of course with Early War I'll most likely say gently caress it and get some English or Afrika Korps because desert fox all in this bitch.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Haha I'm retarded, yes it is. I totally meant mid war, it's mid war that I think would be most fun.

Also I know nothing of lists and all but any list with that train as a centerpiece is best list.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So I want to get into Flames of War but...drat there's a lot of stuff. Are there any good sites with guides to help newbies and all? The official site helps break down the different types of army and all but I really don't know the general 'styles' of the nations aside from what I've seen in watching games.

I'm really not even sure what I want to play, around me my friends are mostly Middle War (Mainly North Africa, which is awesome) and Early War, but there's some D-Day action too. I think a Motorized Infantry company is most my speed, and I suppose the English and Germans look neat, but so do the French and Russians.

I guess my main question is what are some good resources for newbies to look at to help pick an army out for the first time?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So for Flames of War, are rulebook editions interchangable? I'm interested in the Romanian army, but my friend said they're only in a 1st ed book.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Colonial Air Force posted:

Classy!

Low effort/quality AND a tasteless cash in? Well played, sirs!

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So ok, FoW goons, for some reason I am retarded, can anyone put that whole 'Soviet troops count as one division higher' rule in laymans terms for me? I really like Russians in this game but I can't quite wrap my head around that rule.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Jinjin Bemar posted:

To be fair Gamecraft usually do some excellent scenery peices.

Yea that's why it's so tacky I think, they normally do a lot of good work, but this is just "OH poo poo, he's dead? Quick gluestick some cardstock together, ok now make two walls, ok, bam, Bin Ladin's death fort!"

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

It doesn't mean anything, ruleswise, it's just an historical quirk they added in. It is kind of confusing.

Basically, a Soviet Battalion is the same organizational level as anyone else's Company.

Ok so it in no way affects me if I want to start buying some filthy reds? It's just a little historic tidbit...in the rules section?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Oh yea, what a shock looking in the actual book helped, yea I see now, Soviets have like, three times more required soldiers in each thing then everyone else, ok that makes more sense.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Isn't that part of the appeal?

Yea I figured half the fun was the main rule being 'ok obviously it has to be Allies vs Axis in the same timeframe but from that, whatever'?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

uncle jimbo posted:

'hey man peter pig is supposed to make good 15mm stuff, I'll take a look at their site'

http://www.peterpig.co.uk/

:stare:

A historics site that's a historic relic from the 90's.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So as someone who has never played point-free wargames...how does that work? Is it just set armylists you pick from to use?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Alright that's about what I figured, sounds super fun actually, maybe I should look into Black Powder more.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

It is definitely a different mindset if you've come from the Warhammer (or similar) world, where everything is all about points.

And there's nothing wrong with points, either, if that's what the system is for, or it's a tournament. It's just a different way of doing things.

Yea, I can see myself enjoying this style a lot though, but mainly because I'm a big dumb history dork, so being able to take the role of commander for major battles gives me a nerd-boner almost as much as leading an army of Orcs to siege some elves in warhammer.

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
So today I checked Black Powder out and holy crap it's fun. I read over the book for a bit then played a very poor demo game with a friend's redcoats vs another friends american rebels, and it was really fun. For some reason I never noticed this secret world of historic gamers in my social groups, so I should have a decent amount of friends in it.

I really have no clue where to jump in, timewise, a lot of options are there for my history nerd self. I'll most likely go Napoleon, but I may actually stick with redcoats too. I should ask just to be clear though, this isn't like GW/Warmachine where there are 'official models' for the game, right? It's just 'whatever fits the army and is in scale'?

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED
Alright so while I spend weeks debating where to start, two questions now that I'm throwing myself all in this historical stuff.

A) Wargames Illustrated worth subscribing to? For the first time in a while my White Dwarf is ending and I'm not planning to resubscribe, so I got budget for a new gaming mag. Is it a good magazine or is it the WD method of 'make it a big advertisement gently caress rules and hobby and poo poo'?

B) Any resources other then the core book to look into for historical scenarios? It has a lot of good info and enough examples to work with, but I was just wondering if any other major battles of assorted eras were covered somewhere else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shotgunbadger
Nov 18, 2008

WEEK 4 - RETIRED

Jinjin Bemar posted:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/preview-black-powder-last-argument-of-kings/

The first supplement for Black Powder is out covering:

The War of the Spanish Succession – the Battle of Blenheim (1704)
The Great Northern War – the Battle of Holowczyn (1708)
The Austro-Turkish Wars – the Battle of Petrovardin (1716)
The War of the Austrian Succession – the Battle of Fontenoy (1745)
The Wars of the English Succession – the 1745 Rebellion
The Seven Years’ War – the Battle of Hundorf (1762)
War in the Colonies – The French Indian War & The War in India
Raids and Invasions – Amphibious Warfare in the 18th Century

Not my period, but hoping the Napoleonic one is soon!

Oooh meanwhile this is my period so hard, good timing for me getting into BP and all.