Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Just out of interest, are there any rules or good models for Wurfrahmen 40s (Walking Stukas)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

No Pun Intended posted:

Do you mean the Stuka zu Fuss?

Yup, thats the one, I'll check it out, thanks.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
My copy of Open Fire! for flames of war arrived today from Maelstrom Games, however my two stugs both have the same miscast on them.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Click here for the full 800x533 image.

Anyone dealt with the Flames of War customer service before? Are they going to ship me new bits all the way out here in Australia?

e: Wait, their customer service email address is in New Zealand, that gives me hope!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
There are some random bits of plastic in the box, they didn't look like they would fit though. I'll go and check.

e: looks like you were right.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 12, 2010

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

BeigeJacket posted:

Thanks for the answers chaps. If you've got some general thoughts on how you find the game, what works best and what's kinda clunky, that'd be cool.

I know there's a million different army lists, and that combined arms is the best way to go but I'm not a hardware nerd, so all these tanks and poo poo seem the same to me. I guess I'm looking for a force thats going to be quite forgiving. Also, I like the idea of my arty smashing the enemy into the dirt. The Brits :britain: have internet rep for being pretty good at this right?

Honestly, FOW is confusing as gently caress for newbies. I've been browsing various forums trying to decipher near-gibberish like "Oh yah, you absolutely want to res with your KCDRIVs, STG-73 will mess up your Pzrg-Flm, and without PAS your Thdrhwk will get creamed by their Ober-Tiger-1A. Make sure to bring at least 3 Btl-cmp of FM-73as!" :derp:

Yeah, i'm having a similar problem just trying out what to buy. I guess I should just buy one of the books and go from there.

What are the differences between mid-war and late-war? I assume their is less focus on tanks and more on infantry? Is it still possible to have paratrooper armies in mid-war?

I'm going to be collecting two armies because whenever my brother tries to collect anything he never gets round to painting it, so I figure if I buy and paint both I might actually get a game in. I was hoping to get two reasonably balanced, smallish armies that both played very differently and would be fun to play against each other. I was thinking maybe a German motorized force of some kind up against Russian infantry and artillery?

I don;t really like the look of the british tanks except for their early war stuff, so that is out, and the smaller armies sound like a pain to collect because you have so few choices, so I think it comes down to Germans, Russians or the Americans.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was wondering if anyone with some experience with flames of war could give me some advice on some lists I've been building.

To cut a long story short, my brother sucks at painting and assembling his armies because he is too loving lazy. I have decided to collect two armies (and add a third later) to make sure I get at least one game in this time. I wanted two armies that would be reasonably balanced and fun to play against each other, that used some of the models I got in Open Fire!

Without further ado, here are the two lists:

code:
American - Rifle Company 		

Company HQ		15
Bazooka Team		15
Bazooka Team		15

Rifle Platoon		
3 Rifle Squads		155

Rifle Platoon		
3 Rifle Squads		155

Tank Platoon		
3 M4A1 Shermans		205

Tank Destroyer Platoon		
1 M10 Section		175

Total		        735
code:
German - Grenadierkompanie		

Company HQ		40
Anti tank Section	25
Mortar Section		55

Grenadier Platoon		
3 Grenadier Squads 	165

Grenadier Platoon		
3 Grenadier Squads 	165

Panzer Platoon		
3 Stug G		285

Total		        735
Before I go and spend my hard earned dollars, I was wondering if these would be fairly reasonable lists to start out with.

Also, can infantry destroy tanks with rifle fire? I mean,a rifleman has anti-tank 2, and a stug has front armour of 7 and side of 3, meaning that a rifle will penetrate a stug 1/3 of the time from the front and 100% from the side. This seems a little odd, but I guess it makes it balanced.
If this is true, then maybe I was a little rash in avoiding buying a tank company for one of the armies, I thought it would poo poo all over a rifle company in low points games because there weren't enough points to buy anti tank guns. I might change one of the armies into a tank company just to make sure that they play differently, then I can focus on artillery when I get me some soviets.

KongGeorgeVII fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Nov 24, 2010

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

ElBrak posted:

Uh, rifle men will never penetrate a Stug from any direction. When you compare antitank to armor after a armored unit is hit, the armor gets a d6. So it would be antitank 2 vrs 7-13 front armor, so even with out the d6 the riflemen have no chance to penetrate.

Oh right, I get it now, I was looking at it the other way. For some reason I was thinking that guns get the d6 added, not the armour, that makes heaps more sense. Things will start to make a bit more sense when I finish painting up my starter set and get some practice games in.

Does that mean rifle companies are not particularly competitive? I suppose the game is geared more towards recreating historical battles rather than proper competitive play. The rules for a D-day landing in Das Book sound like a lot of fun.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
It probably won't be a problem, I doubt I'll ever be playing competitively. That's the reason I'm getting two armies, so I can just muck around with friends and it would be more fun if it felt like both armies actually had a chance at destroying the other, if that makes sense.

It would get a bit boring playing games of "see how long you can hide in your foxholes while my tanks rain shells down on you".

Either way, both lists have now been ordered from Maelstrom games, so they should be here in a month or so!

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I was just wondering, would it be stupid to use PVA glue to fill the gap of space between a FoW soldier's metal base and the plastic base the models are all put on? As in to build up the ground? What are other cheap alternatives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

No Pun Intended posted:

This is what you need, I used it to base my late war airborne & it is really easy to work with too. The only thing that you'll have to be careful with is that the resin fumes can be a bit much sometimes.

I can drag out some pictures of what the end results look like if you want.

This sounds pretty good, pictures would be great. I've heard before that spackle is pretty good too, so i'll check that out. It would be faster to go to a hardware store to get spackle, but if the vallejo stuff is good I might get it off maelstrom (:australia: goon)